• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I have important things? Blasphemy! And on the topic of Derek...

I think my Marth CPU took some notes off of him ;-; Or the other way around.

In any event, I'm trying to figure out how to punish any of Marth's moves, and very few seem punishable.

I need to figure out how to defeat this beast!

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Retreating fairs are beaten easily! Just back off.

But then the forward fairs become a problem.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
just shield grab forward fairs.

I believe you can shield grab db if you block it. If you are hit by db then DI the hits, if the last db is the multi hit green one then DI up and into Marth youll be behind him which will give you time to punish while hes slashing.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I was just checking my Brawl records.

Lucario has KO'd Sonic the most. Awesome :D Infzy, you have to come and avenge him sometime! (Although around half it is from you :p) 34 KOs (534 Grand Total)

Sonic has 14 on Lucario, but has KO'd Ganondorf the most with 18. (213 Grand Total)

G&W leads because of FFAs I did with him, luls. Marth is second D: I'm scared. (642 and 626)

infomon

Smash Scientist
I believe you can shield grab db if you block it. If you are hit by db then DI the hits, if the last db is the multi hit green one then DI up and into Marth youll be behind him which will give you time to punish while hes slashing.
Hmmmm, I'ma have to sit down and study how DB works, I guess. I hadn't really thought to, Iunno why lol. I always tried to SDI away, which means I get owned since Marth's walking forward with it. Getting behind him (for green at least) sounds like a plan. I always just instinctively mash shield-grab when I get stuck in DB in case he stops, lol.

me = n00b

I was just checking my Brawl records.

Lucario has KO'd Sonic the most. Awesome :D Infzy, you have to come and avenge him sometime! (Although around half it is from you :p)
:( you're on.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
My analysis on the Martha's of Ottawa:

Derek's Martha is weird, it rushes down people with a barrage of attacks

Orlando's Martha is more passive aggresive

Moses Martha is pure mindgames.

Ken's Martha relies on Items too much

M2K's Martha got dumped for Meta Knight, and now she is eating chocloates somewhere in her bedroom.

IvanEva

Smash Ace

joblin

Smash Apprentice
What I find hilarious is if you guys spent half as much time as you do figuring out Marth, DIs, DBs, etc. and put it towards something else you could probably bank a hefty amount of productive time getting money instead of trying to win it in tourneys. That or cure some kind of disease with your mind.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, if Sugar wins, that'll be hilarious, especially since Ken mind-gamed the hell out of her and a certain Ace-hole last week. :laugh:

But yeah, I keep forgetting there's a good deal of Martha's around.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
What I find hilarious is if you guys spent half as much time as you do figuring out Marth, DIs, DBs, etc. and put it towards something else you could probably bank a hefty amount of productive time getting money instead of trying to win it in tourneys. That or cure some kind of disease with your mind.
Well, the difference is that games are a sort of transaction. The more the learn about things, the more we enjoy it. Real life productive things are harder in that the reward usually only comes in at the end, making it very difficult to keep it up.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
OR we can screw this serious convo and start practicing some smash! I'm up for something today, anyone else?

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Ill probably be down, how many people can you fit in your dorm room? :p.

There isnt much to figure out, just read up on your char, watch some vids and apply what you think works, and then read your opponent.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I was thnking someone else hosts something, my dorm room is smal enough to barely fit 3 people (including me) plus, I has no wii or TV :(

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I would love to host something, but I have Loud Wii johns that will become yours.

I think 4 or 5 people can fit (3 on the bed, 1 behind, 1 on the floor). People would have to leave by 10 PM though...this is all hypothetical.

I can't have people over today. My mom is self-conscious about the abilities of the apartment, and how it looks.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I can host stuff later in November, like after the 11th my mom is away. Lots of space, multiple TVs. But this doesn't help ppl get practice for Nigagara :(

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Can't host this Thursday/week guys. I've been really busy with work, 7-11 is actually really great btw, and some girl troubles. I'm sure I'll miss you guys by next week tho :) :p

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Can't host this Thursday/week guys. I've been really busy with work, 7-11 is actually really great btw, and some girl troubles. I'm sure I'll miss you guys by next week tho :) :p
Speaking of 7-11, when do you get off work?

and girl troubles=ghey

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Ill be attending tomorrow's smashfest Ill try to be there for 5/6. Looks like this tourney is gonna have lots of good competition. Also any word on the van/car yet?

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Ben, Andrew and the PND crew: Any chance of you guys coming over tomorrow? If we're all here it would be easier to organize things (as well as practice it up). Call if you can make it (613-829-6076).

PND

Smash Champion
I in all likelihood can't. I've got to attend an ADD seminar / group meeting thing.

It sucks, I can't actually get any human practice before the tourney. I'm going in hella rusty. Actually, ever since the semester started I haven't really had enough human practice and I think I'm getting worse. (

BUT
OBAMA WINS!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Ouch, that sucks Mike. The thought of our usual thing possibly being your only human practice before the tourney would blow really, but sometimes things can't be helped, y'know?

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I think Rick Astley is a pretty cool guy, eh never gonna give you up and he doesn't affraid of anything.

speaking of which:

I accidentally all over my laptop

buenob

Smash Lord
harold I'm in, i suck with remembering to phone people but i'll call before i leave... any suggestions on time?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yeah, I saw that XD Epic

I need practice x.x I think my Lucario is getting rusty.

Harold, is there still room for me to come over? I'm sick and tired of Level 3 CPUs since there is no progress nor joy in it.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
You know its possible to over practice right? If you are going to practice by yourself you should focus on 3 things although its best not to do them all at once. Get one down and then try the next one. First is DI since its probably the easiest. Let the cpu hit you and just practice getting into the habit of DIing properly. Second one is focusing on your opponent, you shouldnt be watching/looking at your character during a match since you should pretty much know where your character is at all times. Obviously at times you need to look at where you such as when you are recovering and you wanna make sure you hit the ledge. Third is spacing. Practice one till you can confidently do it not only against a comp but also against a realy player specifically in a tourney match. Theres a few threads out there that describe these principles in more detail but thats the jist of it.

That combo breaker pic is epic, I so wanna make that a t-shirt :p.

I might show up a bit later to the HaroldFest, might be 7ish. There are extra controllers there right? I forgot my controller at home.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
****! My finger just slipped, hit previous thread, and I lost my whole post v.v

Anyway, DI is bull****. You can shield in the time it takes to DI. DI'ing is just taking the hit like an idiot and making sure you survive instead of blocking the hit. Besides, there's no time to DI. You get hit, and it's already too late. It's just...*Marth fSmash* Next .1 second: you're hit, DI has already been calculated. Not enough time to react.

My nerves are shot, and I can't take this anymore. I'm just not good enough for competitive play. Marth is broken and I can't do anything about it. I found one way to approach, but it's stupid and won't work consistently.

Right now I'm deciding on whether spending $5 every other week is worth playing once a week, especially if I just get knocked out after 4 matches because I can't practice or think properly.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
You are obviously not supposed to get hit but in the event that you do, DI is there to help you. You cant always block the hit anyways so you cant expect to shield everything, dismissing DI is a bad idea. Yes there is time to DI much more so than in Melee where I find it much harder to DI properly. DI also takes affect when you are getting hit, so tipper by Marth which causes you to freeze for a bit gives you ample time to DI(move the control stick).

infomon

Smash Scientist
Linkshot, take a break, yo.

I used to think that wavedashing was stupidly impossible, like what you're saying about DI..... Marth's Fsmash has hitlag that gives you time to input DI, like just smash-DI and hold it as you start hit-stun..... I'm still getting used to DI'ing properly tho, it's friggin hard but you'll get it eventually.

Maybe you should take up MK? lol :3

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Eh...I just had a breakdown, that's all x.x Anyway, I'll apply a trick I thought of next time I fight Marth.

And I was talking about untippered. NO lag at all.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
****! My finger just slipped, hit previous thread, and I lost my whole post v.v

Anyway, DI is bull****. You can shield in the time it takes to DI. DI'ing is just taking the hit like an idiot and making sure you survive instead of blocking the hit. Besides, there's no time to DI. You get hit, and it's already too late. It's just...*Marth fSmash* Next .1 second: you're hit, DI has already been calculated. Not enough time to react.

My nerves are shot, and I can't take this anymore. I'm just not good enough for competitive play. Marth is broken and I can't do anything about it. I found one way to approach, but it's stupid and won't work consistently.

Right now I'm deciding on whether spending $5 every other week is worth playing once a week, especially if I just get knocked out after 4 matches because I can't practice or think properly.
Marth is definitely NOT op. He's just fast. I find the most important thing is to space properly. Go to training mode and see how close you need to be in order to hit him with w/e attacks.

Also, give the game a short break.

Top Bottom