• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

FrozenSoul

Smash Rookie
Yo sorry this is kinda last minute, but we can't make it this week he has some last minute assignments and I have to write a paper.

Also, right now we suck so we wanna train a bit more before playing with you guys. We most likely could come next week

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Alright, no problem.

Also, don't worry about being too bad to come. The current overall skill level isn't going to be that high with the large number of newcomers.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
People also tend to give really good advice, so even if you're not winning games, you still get the opportunity to learn!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Triple post, but since some people still use this thread and it's important, I'll post what I posted in the facebook group.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey everybody! Great smashfest yesterday! I'll be expecting more of them of that size in the near future with the way we've been growing recently.

With this surge of attendance, there has been expressed interest from plenty of players (myself included) to start hosting tournaments in Ottawa again. There is no set date yet, but we may try to have it sometime in December.

I'll be in charge of running the tournament. If we want to do this, I'll need help from enough people. If you want to help out let me know, we'll need to do a lot of planning.

Also, I won't be entering the tournament myself to ensure everything runs smoothly. If we have a crew battle though, I want in. >: (

Gedorah

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gon
3DS FC
5155-3442-5812
This sounds awesome how many people have been showing up lately, me and my friends are always looking to get better and theres not much smash action around Ottawa

Sashimi

Smash Ace
The past two weeks, it's really been picking up. Respectively, we've had 16 and 18 people at the last two smashfests.

mous_7245

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm an old smasher from back in the days of Fogel ToS, etc. Wouldn't mind stopping by a random smashfest if I can find the time. Do you run them pretty regularly bi-weekly?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Bl!tz hosts a weekly smashfest on Fridays. You can sign up to attend on our Facebook group (Super Smash Bros. - Ottawa). On other days there are occasional smashfests that you can find on Facebook.

Dice

Smash Lord
Good to see that people still play melee in Ottawa. Is there going to be a tournament organized for December?

Sashimi

Smash Ace
The priority right now is getting bi-weeklies started somewhere (the main issue is the venue). If we're successful, we'll try to organize a tournament as well.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
It would be nice to have more tournaments. The monthlies are great, but a smaller tourney in between would be nice. Something like Randy's basement-a-thon.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Algonquin has Thursday nights available and we're already welcome to host there on that night. It's only a matter of getting people to bring setups on a Thursday, but I guess that's less of a problem now that we have CRT storage there...

Weeklies are very possible imo as long as we can get people in the habit of going. I certainly wouldn't mind something more frequent than the monthly.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
That would be perfect. CRT storage too good.

A low entry fee (or no entry fee) would be nice. Even if only ten people showed up, it would still be fun.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
The monthlies are great for breeding relations between Montreal and Ottawa....However If we have weeklies that have Ottawa natives only, it gives a good opportunity for the lower skilled players to gain some confidence in having a higher placing (most of the lower skilled people may be demoralized by not making it out of pools consistently) as well as learning from the higher skilled players. I'm going to assume the turnout won't be as great but it will work to our advantage that there will certainly be more time for one on one learning for lower skilled players.

tldr; Yeahhhhz I support it!

Krackatoa

Ottawa eSports Illuminati
Yo. This is Bruce. Found my old account. Sup?

7 Messages? Fukkin OG.

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
SOM#5 Singles (61 entrants) (August 2, 2014)
17. FCP Tag is Kidney Thief and Peach was used

Also did we end up deciding to do a weekly?

Last edited:

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Thanks for the info!
Hmm the weeklies are at Algonquin College at 5 PM - 11 PM every Thursday. But it needs a coordinated effort to bring setups from everyone so I am not sure how those are going right now. Bruce has 8 CRTs there now so I think all you would need is a setup and people to play. I think if you wanna play there, just message on the facebook group and ask if anyone else is willing to bring a setup for Thursday :/

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I can bring a setup no problem. And algonquin is a good place for me. I'll participate on days I don't work from now on.

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Avro-Arrow should be my name I suppose, if it's supposed to be the same as my Smashboards name (and not Avro, as posted in the latest tournament results).

I came close to getting Xuna... grr the trashtalk! It was actually a little funny though, in a way... There were some things I could have done differently, but no johns. I made the decisions I did and I have to own up to them. But next time, I'm looking to doing better than I did before.

Last edited:

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Thanks for posting all the challonge links and writing out the rankings in one place. I've resumed working on my TO program to auto-generate pools and brackets and I needed it all.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys how come there was a discrepancy in where people went after dropping a set in Winner's? Some people were sent to the loser's round before it (ex. Winner's 2 to Loser's 1) while others were sent to the corresponding Loser's round (ex. Winner's 2 to Loser's 2).

Is there any reason for this or was it a mistake? Thank you.

(Edited for coherency)

This has been answered on the facebook page. (edit 2)

Last edited:

Vanitas

Smash Ace
In case if people are interested and still use smashboards, I have posted the updated PR here (as well as all recent results). Next time should be top 15 granted if there is enough data, and there will probably be several Arcadians to prove it.

The second Arcadian will be at uOttawa this coming Friday!

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
The next arcadian is going to be so important, there were situations that made me underform at the last arcadian and it's on me I can't john about it, but I'm out for blood this time. I'm aiming for first and I won't be happy until I get it

EDIT : I see you don't have an icon for HVAC at uOttawa Arcadian 1, it's Mario's new tag and he plays Ganondorf only

Last edited:

Vanitas

Smash Ace
The next arcadian is going to be so important, there were situations that made me underform at the last arcadian and it's on me I can't john about it, but I'm out for blood this time. I'm aiming for first and I won't be happy until I get it

EDIT : I see you don't have an icon for HVAC at uOttawa Arcadian 1, it's Mario's new tag and he plays Ganondorf only
Thanks for that, edited.
Agreed; with tournaments with top 10 in presence, they can screw up brackets pretty easily so it becomes difficult to see who are top 11-15 contenders. Looking forward to seeing the results for Friday!

DibyDonut

Smash Rookie
17(not 24) Ottawa/Kingston looking for local and weekly tournaments to go to I play all smash bros except Brawl--Please message me any help would be greatly appreciated

Vanitas

Smash Ace
17(not 24) Ottawa/Kingston looking for local and weekly tournaments to go to I play all smash bros except Brawl--Please message me any help would be greatly appreciated
I'm not sure what you mean by 17...do you mean 17 people?

At the moment, Melee weekly events are as follows:

Thursdays, Algonquin College from 5 PM - 11 PM at the second floor of the E building.

Fridays, uOttawa from 5 PM - 10 PM at FSS 4012 + 4013

These might change at the end of March as the school semester will end soon unless if we're notified otherwise.
The facebook group is here and where most of the planning or smashfests are organized: https://www.facebook.com/groups/315598801891025/

Smash for Wii U has their own separate thread and Facebook group:

http://smashboards.com/threads/ottawa-smash-4-wii-u-thread.381361/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1564907980388757/

Last edited:

Arayvenn

Smash Rookie
Brand new to competitive smash. Still practicing tech, but I'm planning to dedicate a lot of time to melee and I'm bringing three friends with me. We've been practicing together for a couple of weeks now and would really like to start showing up to some weeklies or something. We're pretty awful, but I bet it'd be a great opportunity to learn. Any newb friendly events in the near future?

Edit: Whelp. I'm an idiot. The post directly above told me everything I wanted to know. Is there a room # for the Algonquin weeklies?

Last edited:

Krackatoa

Ottawa eSports Illuminati
Guys, just checking in and saying that I got confirmation that we can keep using the Algonquin venue after I graduate in April. Smash Monthlies can keep going, and we should be back to the regular $5 no venue charge shenanigans in May after my esports illuminati **** is all finished.

Thanks for all your support, and all the coming out and leveling up over the past year.

Top Bottom