• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Yeaaa definitely, we will probably do a low tier tourney just for lols and giggles so it wont be as serious :laugh:

Just the control stick is messed, you can twist it and the pad on the top is ripping and tearing off 0_o

The controller i got yesterday was a FAKE, i knew it was too good to be true... :(
What are you talking about? LOW TIERS ARE SERIOUS ****ING BUSINESS!!!!!

I've had 3 controllers have the pad on them fall off, lol. I would recommend just bearing with the controller until you get used to the plastic piercing into your thumb. You won't notice it after a tough enough callus grows there. Or you could just super glue the pad back on.

Edit:

Someones been watching too much Matrix...

Anyways
I really want to get a tournament in XD
Since the tournament will most likely be held at Chris' house, Chris, wanna set a day for everyone to have a big heads up for? :O Weekend preferrably for me :p
Okay, I'll do so ASAP.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Yeaaa definitely, we will probably do a low tier tourney just for lols and giggles so it wont be as serious :laugh:

Just the control stick is messed, you can twist it and the pad on the top is ripping and tearing off 0_o

The controller i got yesterday was a FAKE, i knew it was too good to be true... :(
"Fate it appears, is not without a sense of irony" Morpheus

On a serious note. Recall our bus conversation? We were talking about the pacific mall and I recall telling you that the stores in the mall sells counterfeit and fakes stuff.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I emailed GanonPWN! so I'll wait until I get a response from him before I decide a date. However, since exams will end on the 21st for people at university and weekends are better, I'm guessing we'll have our tournament either on the 24th or 25th. Not confirmed, but expect that.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Ahh fair enough
Will you be taking a break from smash to study for your exams?
lol, no. I'm not lame like you and Charlesz. I won't be playing any less than I already do. After exams are done, I'll be putting more time and effort in. I'll try to go to some tournaments too.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
D: thats cheating!

So April will have

Singles Tournament
Crew Battles
Low Tier Tournament

forgot that we should also have crew battles..at this rate its going to be a 4 vs 4 Crew battle
can anyone give suggestions on how we should divide up the crews?
This time we should definitely get GanonPWN!to come this time!
Kanata vs Ottawa.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Ummmm no. Unless you can convince everyone that wobbling is legal by vote. Seriously though the reason we are using MBR ruleset is because you don't want to have PS as neutral and Corneria as a counterpick. Some of us just got ***** by that, so at least we don't get this wobbling nonsense. Having PS as counterpick and corneria as banned plus wobbling is just ********.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Ummmm no. Unless you can convince everyone that wobbling is legal by vote. Seriously though the reason we are using MBR ruleset is because you don't want to have PS as neutral and Corneria as a counterpick. Some of us just got ***** by that, so at least we don't get this wobbling nonsense. Having PS as counterpick and corneria as banned plus wobbling is just ********.
u mad?

Seriously, people didn't get ***** by having PS as CP and Corneria banned. Fox already has the tools to win, he doesn't need another stage for him to dominate in. I'm assuming that Fox does well on Corneria, as some Fox mains are pretty sore about it's banned status.

Wobbling isn't that bad. I'd rather face Ice Climbers on FD with wobbling legal than face Sheik. I won't whine about Sheik though, I'll just look for ways to try and beat her. Maybe people should do the same for Wobbling instead of crying about it.

Edit: @ Vanitas: For future tournaments, if I have means of transportation ever, I'd be willing to let you carpool with me. That goes for anybody else in Ottawa

Charlesz

Smash Champion
How does fox have no bad matchups? Fox gets ***** by marth on most neutral stages and fox vs falco on fd ain't exactly a walk in the park. I understand what chris is saying, if the reason corneria is banned and PS is a counterpick is because that Fox already has the tools to win. Likewise, how does IC climbers not have the tools to win? They have the best overall smashes in the game, ridiculous combos and a nice ground movement. If people should stop crying about wobbling then isn't that true for the case of fox? If Ice Climbers are so BAD, then why not just use marth?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Im going to think Chris has the TO status among us, so what is your decision on it?
and yeaa i ll be willing to pay for gas and whatevs. It d be friggen legit if we could go to tournaments and represent Ottawa lol
Okay, I'm TO since it's at my house, lol. The date will be April 24th. I haven't finalized the entry fee but I'm leaning towards $2 for Singles and $1 for Low tier. I don't really want to do a Teams Round Robin, but if most people want to then I'm sure we could. If people would prefer $3 for Singles then I might change it. I'll have to get more change though. lol at the low entry fees, but I prefer it that way so it's all good.

I can't guarantee I could get a lift. Montréal is probably the furthest my parents would be willing to go. Someone else driving would be better if possible. Or we could bus, which I hadn't heard of until this year.

Looks like they are. But do they have what it takes? By that I mean do they have enough players?

How does fox have no bad matchups? Fox gets ***** by marth on most neutral stages and fox vs falco on fd ain't exactly a walk in the park. I understand what chris is saying, if the reason corneria is banned and PS is a counterpick is because that Fox already has the tools to win. Likewise, how does IC climbers not have the tools to win? They have the best overall smashes in the game, ridiculous combos and a nice ground movement. If people should stop crying about wobbling then isn't that true for the case of fox? If Ice Climbers are so BAD, then why not just use marth?
Fox doesn't get ***** at all by Marth. The matchup with Marth is considered even by many people. There was even a thread about it's evenness in the Melee Discussion. You could argue that Falco has a slight advantage against Fox, but I wouldn't think it's any worse than Falcon vs Fox (which isn't very bad honestly). Learn to dodge and powershield Falco's lasers on FD and your good to go (easier said than done I know lol). You may not be saying that Fox vs Falco is in Falco's favour (just realised that after I wrote about it) but there is no harm bringing it up I suppose.

I'll let Al argue to you about Ice Climber's smashes, combos, and movement. He'd know about it a lot better than I would.

Who's about whining about Fox? Al was pointing out that he is a dominant character and he generally beats Ice Climbers. I'd say he's a very good character but he's still beatable. I think we can all agree on that.

I'm assuming Al uses Ice Climbers because he likes them and he is better against me with him. That's my guess.

Also, don't take any of this personally by the way. You do bring up good points that should be addressed. I merely felt the need to respond to them.

PND

Smash Champion
I think Hungrybox once said he thought Jiggs vs Fox was Jiggs advantage. :)

But anyway, I'm looking at a place today. I don't know if I'll be moving in for April or May yet, but when I move in I'll start hosting stuff. I'm thinking I'd do something like. . .

Week 1) Melee Biweekly, Brawl Smashfest
Week 2) Brawl Biweekly, Melee Smashfest
Week 3) Melee Biweekly, Brawl Smashfest
Week 4) Brawl Biweekly, Melee Smashfest

We could keep the two communities active and together, possibly leeching off of eachother's player base to boost attendance for both games. It's a pretty central location, not that far from Chris' place, and my future roommate(s) have already given me the clear to host.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I think Hungrybox once said he thought Jiggs vs Fox was Jiggs advantage. :)

But anyway, I'm looking at a place today. I don't know if I'll be moving in for April or May yet, but when I move in I'll start hosting stuff. I'm thinking I'd do something like. . .

Week 1) Melee Biweekly, Brawl Smashfest
Week 2) Brawl Biweekly, Melee Smashfest
Week 3) Melee Biweekly, Brawl Smashfest
Week 4) Brawl Biweekly, Melee Smashfest

We could keep the two communities active and together, possibly leeching off of eachother's player base to boost attendance for both games. It's a pretty central location, not that far from Chris' place, and my future roommate(s) have already given me the clear to host.
I think Mango has said he thought Jiggs vs Fox was Fox advantage, but that was probably earlier in the metagame. I don't know his thoughts now. I don't really care that much about their match ups that much anyways, lol.

I'm glad your going to host when you can. I should not that I'd still like to host also so my brothers can keep playing people. I'm pretty sure Charles would too. Charles' is easier for Al to go to. Would you be willing to host on Friday nights? Schedule could be...

Week 1: Friday - PND's, Saturday - BL!TZ's
Week 2: Friday - PND's, Saturday - Cman's

Something like that. I should probably get a bus pass, because I don't think I'd be able to make it to both smashfests on week 2. My parents wouldn't be willing to drive that much.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Okay, I'm TO since it's at my house, lol. The date will be April 24th. I haven't finalized the entry fee but I'm leaning towards $2 for Singles and $1 for Low tier. I don't really want to do a Teams Round Robin, but if most people want to then I'm sure we could. If people would prefer $3 for Singles then I might change it. I'll have to get more change though. lol at the low entry fees, but I prefer it that way so it's all good.

I can't guarantee I could get a lift. Montréal is probably the furthest my parents would be willing to go. Someone else driving would be better if possible. Or we could bus, which I hadn't heard of until this year.

Looks like they are. But do they have what it takes? By that I mean do they have enough players?

Fox doesn't get ***** at all by Marth. The matchup with Marth is considered even by many people. There was even a thread about it's evenness in the Melee Discussion. You could argue that Falco has a slight advantage against Fox, but I wouldn't think it's any worse than Falcon vs Fox (which isn't very bad honestly). Learn to dodge and powershield Falco's lasers on FD and your good to go (easier said than done I know lol). You may not be saying that Fox vs Falco is in Falco's favour (just realised that after I wrote about it) but there is no harm bringing it up I suppose.

I'll let Al argue to you about Ice Climber's smashes, combos, and movement. He'd know about it a lot better than I would.

Who's about whining about Fox? Al was pointing out that he is a dominant character and he generally beats Ice Climbers. I'd say he's a very good character but he's still beatable. I think we can all agree on that.

I'm assuming Al uses Ice Climbers because he likes them and he is better against me with him. That's my guess.

Also, don't take any of this personally by the way. You do bring up good points that should be addressed. I merely felt the need to respond to them.
Yes marth vs fox is even, but on most neutral stages fox gets wrecked by marth. Powershielding and dodging lasers aren't very effective against falco on FD. Falco controls the match horizontally and vertically and a shine combo could easily go up to 60%. Plus falco could crouch cancel shine most of fox's aerials at low %'s. If you don't believe me then check out matches that involve fox vs falco on FD. And the verdict on wobbling is?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Yes marth vs fox is even, but on most neutral stages fox gets wrecked by marth. Powershielding and dodging lasers aren't very effective against falco on FD. Falco controls the match horizontally and vertically and a shine combo could easily go up to 60%. Plus falco could crouch cancel shine most of fox's aerials at low %'s. If you don't believe me then check out matches that involve fox vs falco on FD. And the verdict on wobbling is?
You could Powershield into Wavedash to deal with lasers to help with spacing and to keep yourself moving. Just an idea though, I haven't had a lot of Falco practice to do it myself. I get what you mean, I don't like FD versus Falco either.

I'm going to wait before I make a decision on whether to have wobbling legal or not.I'll make a decision by the 20th. People will have until then to convince me whether it should be legal or not. For the record, I'm leaning towards legal right now.

Edit: @ Vanitas: Okay, $3 is fine with me.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Fox vs Marth is definitely even. Stages like Yoshis story is not entirely in favour to Marth because Uair and Usmash kills Marth even faster because of the low ceiling.
Fox vs Falco on FD is still kinda even. Fox can easily CG him and Usmash gay him lol.
Yes they might have the best overall smashes, ridiculous combos and nice ground movement, ALL for a price: Nana-the-******-that-can-get-gimped-by-fox-at-0%
Yes i agree the Ice Climbers are a bad character. Why not use Marth? Because its a GAME LOL A game is for FUN. I find the Ice Climbers a hell lot more fun to play as than any other character:laugh:
I think we should let wobbling for legal for a little bit JUST to see if its actually that broken. Umad over ONE match that i wobbled you. Oh noes, what to do? space better? An experienced player like Fogel even admitted that its not that broken. Even Diakonos, a professional player, admitted that wobblings cool.

I think i d prefer $3.00
$2.00 x 8 people = $16.00
60% of $16.00 would be $9.60
30% of $16.00 would be $4.80
10% of $16.00 would be $1.60...(which would be lower than their entry fee LOL)

yeaaa that d still be legit...we can bus i guess

@ Charles: ya iunno why umad, Fox destroys Ice Climbers anyways Wobbling legal or not
yea fox is definitely a dominant character over climbers. Hes still beatable
naww i like using Climbers against all the other characters cept for Marth, Fox and Peach :laugh:
and yea same here, dont take any of this personally, i hope we re still cool after this

Yeaaaaa, i can finally have my pokeman battle with Ariel hahaha. I approve of this :) Chris' place is FAR for me and Charles lololol
First off fox vs falco on FD being even is bull****. You can go ask the fox and falco boards, I hope I don't have to explain myself on why that matchup is not even on FD. Secondly, if the game is truely for fun, then I don't understand why do you want to sneak in wobbling into the rules and why you bring up the topic of wobbling every 2 weeks. And thirdly , there not even a question whether wobbling is THAT broken or not. It is the best punishment in the game. End of Story.

Top Bottom