• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Fogel

Smash Lord
Cam is there still space available in your car? I would be interested in going to not genesis but dont feel my car should be attempting such a journey
There might be, but I have to confirm who is actually going for sure at this point. I'm also not sure if (PND)Mike needs a lift from his place to/from the tourney; if he does, then that's minus one spot. There are also a couple of Melee guys who don't really post here who are interested.

Ben/Orlando: Can you please confirm if you are planning on going to Not Genesis via my car? Please confirm/back out soon so we can work this out. You guys asked first, so I will tentatively keep the spots for you, but I'd like to resolve this soon.

Also, whoever wants to go, please make sure you can leave Friday; it isn't viable to make it to this tourney by leaving on Saturday.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
Im willing to give up my spot to someone who can confirm now since I wont know till the end of the week :/. So knuckles is free to take my spot. In the event that I can make it, I dont mind leaving friday since as you mentioned is the only way viable, but I wouldnt be able to leave till after 5. If you plan on leaving earlier (if it benefits you) in the day than I wont be able to make it.

buenob

Smash Lord
i'm in! i have the week off now, so i'm gonna power through a bunch of personal stuff, and I'll be ready to go whenever on friday... on sunday, on the way back, would it be possible to stop in for a couple hours in Toronto? I really want to go to Pacific Mall and buy a cellphone (and depending on the deal also pick up some sunglasses)... we can hit up the arcade there if you are wanting to loaf around :)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
After checking my bank account, I realized that Scotiabank is correct, I AM RICHER THAN I THINK!! I can probably afford to go to this tournament and I'm viable for leaving on friday as well. Now is a matter of if I want to go or not (assuming there is still space in the car).

I'll give you my answer before thursday.

PND

Smash Champion
I *was* planning on hitching a ride with you guys to the tourney. . . >_>

But I might be able to get the vehicle and drive there, giving us more room for setups.

BUT I don't know how to drive standard, and I don't know how comfortable I'll be driving standard to 'Sauga with so little practice.

Fogel

Smash Lord
OK, the car is full at the moment. I have:

Me
Ben
(PND)Mike
Phrozn
Cbone

Sorry to those who didn't get a spot...yesterday, I literally only had one other person confirmed, so I'm kind of surprised. Everyone on the list got in touch with me earlier (either early today or even before that) so I gave them dibs. If anyone drops out I'll let you guys know. I'll put priority on people who confirmed first if anyone does drop (so, Knuckles gets the first spot if anyone ditches).

Fair warning to those coming with me: the back seat will be really uncomfortable with 3 people in there. Luckily, it won't be for the whole trip, but prepare yourself :) Also, please keep your schedule open on Friday. If I can get the day off, I want to leave early (maybe 9am or so), but I don't know if my boss will let me since I was already off last week. If he doesn't, I'll want to leave around 5 or 6pm. I'll post as soon as I know for sure what's happening Friday.

Mike, as a standard driver myself, I wouldn't suggest taking long trips in a standard car if you aren't familiar with it. You really don't want to risk getting stuck in a T.O. traffic jam if you aren't comfortable with it (well, you don't want to even if you are...it just makes it even worse if you don't know how). I'll leave the 5th spot for you.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
OK, the car is full at the moment. I have:

Me
Ben
(PND)Mike
Phrozn
Cbone

Sorry to those who didn't get a spot...yesterday, I literally only had one other person confirmed, so I'm kind of surprised. Everyone on the list got in touch with me earlier (either early today or even before that) so I gave them dibs. If anyone drops out I'll let you guys know. I'll put priority on people who confirmed first if anyone does drop (so, Knuckles gets the first spot if anyone ditches).

Fair warning to those coming with me: the back seat will be really uncomfortable with 3 people in there. Luckily, it won't be for the whole trip, but prepare yourself :) Also, please keep your schedule open on Friday. If I can get the day off, I want to leave early, but I don't know if my boss will let me since I was already off last week. If he doesn't, I'll want to leave around 5 or 6. I'll post as soon as I know for sure what's happening Friday.

Mike, as a standard driver myself, I wouldn't suggest taking long trips in a standard car if you aren't familiar with it. You really don't want to risk getting stuck in a T.O. traffic jam if you aren't comfortable with it (well, you don't want to even if you are...it just makes it even worse if you don't know how). I'll leave the 5th spot for you.
I thought Dan was already at Toronto?

EDIT: never mind, I'm ********

Linkshot

Smash Hero
For Infzy:

If you have any free time this weekend, maybe I (hopefully not, for everybody else XD) or somebody else could host a small fest for you? After having PND here, we I realised we I totally miss you.
r Sonic.

I hope everybody else feels the same way, though.

infomon

Smash Scientist
For Infzy:

If you have any free time this weekend, maybe I (hopefully not, for everybody else XD) or somebody else could host a small fest for you? After having PND here, we I realised we I totally miss you.
r Sonic.

I hope everybody else feels the same way, though.
<3 <3 <3

but the infzess is in another castle! :(

I'll be at Almost as Cool as Genesis this weekend as well

on that note, if anyone feels like crashing in Waterloo (1hr from toronto) on Friday or Saturday night, that's cool.... especially if it means I get a ride to/from the event

but obv none of that is happening :/

I'ma try to be in Ottawa for a smashfest sometime soon..... but idk yet :urg:

remind me never, ever to use the word "infzess" :-S

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, those doubles things were awesome from what I saw. Oh, and speaking of which. To Justin, Alan, and senor Jiggernaut, that doubles set we had was awesome. Would love to actually team with ya again sometime, Justin.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Jiggers has the replay of Norfair.

Separate note: I think I need to practice more frequently. If people are ever free for extra practice, PM/IM me and I'll see what the best thing to do is.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, the old cliche or whatever goes that 'practice makes perfect', so more practice can never hurt. Of course, that usually limits me to Wi-Fi friendlies at the moment, but hey, if anyone's up for 1v1's on that...

Fogel

Smash Lord
I can play online with you guys if you want; I'm actually posting a little story in HD Remix right now about my online forays :) We should probably set a weeknight to do this though, as opposed to sitting around waiting for each other to show up.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Sorry for my late post, no internet can be a pain sometimes (and a blessing many other times):

Shoutouts:

Orlando: B B B B B B B B B B. :p I hope your brothers enjoy Bioshock. Once they discover that the very first weapon and plasmid are the best throughout the whole game, they be zapping and bashing their enemies brains in for the rest of the game.

Ariel: Dammit, why did I have to face you!? I mean, I certainly win most of the time between us but my neophyte Meta Knight got unlucky.

Jiggernaut: Wow, I didn't see this one coming. I got ***** worse than Mike Tyson's girlfriend. I was all pumped and sure that my Meta would be able to take over the Ottawa scene only to be completely shut down by your JIGGLYPUFF! I feel like the US/UN when they tried to mess around in Somalia...

PNDMike: Great to see you again. Patrick and I were doing fairly well until we met your Snake. I was reminded why he's second best. With a bit more practice, we'll remind you why Meta Knight's first place. :p 'Hope to see you sometime before New Year's.

Patrick: You don't read this so there's no point in posting but I have to say that you were the best partner I've had since Cameron. Up until we got to PNDMike, we had some great synergy. I dislike teams (at least with team attack on) but teaming with you was pretty good; I'd do it again.

Cam: You were correct in your observation that my other, far more experienced, characters would have fared better than my Meta Knight against Jiggernaut. Lucas eats Jigglypuffs for breakfast (which may explain why he has a gigantic head and an absolutely freaky face/eyes). However, at the time I was expecting Meta to just eat Jigglypuff up in a whirlwind of pain. Which he did... until Jigs used neutral air...

On other notes:
- MOSES! Glad to see you've finally recovered from the no-doubt horrible beating your parents gave you. Nothing says 'I love you and I was really worried' quite like a brutal lashing that leaves you in a coma for a few weeks. Although, I have to say that no amount of practice can possibly prepare you for my Meta Knight. Nope, none. I hope you'll be able to return soon and good luck on whatever exams you're probably doing now. Remember, if you fail any exam your parents are going to break you.

- Remember kids, if it's not bi-weekly ("serious business") related, please keep it in the other thread. It'll help people who are interested in reading only about one or the other (bi-weekly stuff, non-bi-weekly stuff)

PND

Smash Champion
Actually, Harold, I'm not sure it's a matter of experience or not :p If Jiggs plays without making many stupid mistakes, the matchup is actually surprisingly neutral, or even possibly *gasp* Jiggs advantage. For serials.

Now, if *I* can get around to learning the matchup better lol. But why would I, when I have Snake?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
That Jiggs ****** was actually kind of fun to see, no offense. But it DOES show that Jigglypuff is SO top tier. I mean, if Meta Knight's "ban-worthy" and Jiggs owns him... :laugh:

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I'm still bitter about that Jiggs vs Falcon match we had Mike, If I had experince in the match-up. I probably would have alot closer. *johns*

Fogel

Smash Lord
Sorry for my late post, no internet can be a pain sometimes (and a blessing many other times):

Shoutouts:

Cam: You were correct in your observation that my other, far more experienced, characters would have fared better than my Meta Knight against Jiggernaut. Lucas eats Jigglypuffs for breakfast (which may explain why he has a gigantic head and an absolutely freaky face/eyes). However, at the time I was expecting Meta to just eat Jigglypuff up in a whirlwind of pain. Which he did... until Jigs used neutral air...

I was referring more in general to you switching to all top-tier characters (Brawl, SF4, maybe other games) as opposed to in that one matchup. "Playing to Win" isn't necessarily only using top tier; it means not being afraid to use top tier characters if you think it will increase your chances of winning. For example, Snake is higher tier than all of my mains, but I find that in friendlies my Snake gets wrecked. I don't use him in tourneys because I don't think it will help me win.

PND

Smash Champion
I'm still bitter about that Jiggs vs Falcon match we had Mike, If I had experince in the match-up. I probably would have alot closer. *johns*
You did have experience. . . ala 2 sets with Jiggernaut first :p

Jiggs is the real top tier in Brawl. Trufax.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
That was my first time playing against a Jigglypuff with Metaknight so I really didn't know what she could actually do and how she would respond to things. Jiggernaut knows his character very well. However, as far as my effectiveness with Meta Knight goes, he just needs a bit more practice.

On a semi-related note: I'm finding myself really getting back into Brawl now. For a while it was just 'that other game' to me but now I'm actually feeling really pumped to go out and play it again. This, of course, could be a consequence of all of my SFIV matches being Ryu vs. Ryu now...

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I was referring more in general to you switching to all top-tier characters (Brawl, SF4, maybe other games) as opposed to in that one matchup. "Playing to Win" isn't necessarily only using top tier; it means not being afraid to use top tier characters if you think it will increase your chances of winning. For example, Snake is higher tier than all of my mains, but I find that in friendlies my Snake gets wrecked. I don't use him in tourneys because I don't think it will help me win.
I have to agree with this. Some of you may think that I'm being honourable or something by playing Jigglypuff all the time and not playing as higher tier characters. That's not really true. I play Jigglypuff because she is truly my best character and has the playstyle I most enjoy playing. If my best character was MK, I would play as him. Or Snake, or Falco etc.

I don't play top tier characters in tournaments because they would not help me win at all. Firstly because their playstyles do not appeal to me and secondly because everyone has so much matchup experience against them. MK is SOOO slow in the air; I just can't stand it.

You did have experience. . . ala 2 sets with Jiggernaut first :p
Seriously Randy, you had experience that day with me. I didn't do nearly as well as Mike did, but usually no one gets that much experience against one character (save for MK) in a tourney.

Jiggs is the real top tier in Brawl. Trufax
Confirmed.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, your MK at the very least made me realize I have to find out what GnW moves can get around Whorenado. Also, since someone made the comment on this staying on topic to things that happened at the Bi-weekly, for anyone who saw me bust out my Toon Link (or played against me using it, or whatever, lol), any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
Well, your MK at the very least made me realize I have to find out what GnW moves can get around Whorenado. Also, since someone made the comment on this staying on topic to things that happened at the Bi-weekly, for anyone who saw me bust out my Toon Link (or played against me using it, or whatever, lol), any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Just focus on trying to pop it up with up-b or uair. If he is >90 it should be a free kill, somewhat situationally.

It's easier to do this then land a smash (or fair, which won't work on a tornado) than it is to smash him out of it.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Seriously Randy, you had experience that day with me. I didn't do nearly as well as Mike did, but usually no one gets that much experience against one character (save for MK) in a tourney.
Although I did play you twice in the bi-weekly, Mike was far better when it came to knowing how to fight falcon. During our matches, it felt like as if we were just dancing around each other until someone landed a kill move. But with mike, there was nothing I could do, he knew how to space against me, which moves I couldn't beat (seeing how I used falcon, I guess it didn't really matter) and when to run away or get the pressure on.

I guess what I was trying to say is, fighting you wasn't enough to prepare me for Mike just because he knew the match up better.

But mark my words, I won't retire Falcon until I get my revenge. :p

buenob

Smash Lord
lol ya, every once and a while when I'm playing around with some random characters with some friends, it definitely feels like we're both just kinda running around attempting to hit a kill move... I also got that a lot with people in sf4... when they are just jumping around a lot, i know how i _could_ punish them, but they're so erratic that I can't properly time it, so we both just end up jumping around a lot lol

randy, fighting your c.falcon was the highlight of the night for me... it's too good... you definitely could make it through pools with him at a tournament lol

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
So... are we having another biweekly next time, or normal? Following our regular schedule it should be normal, right? If so, then... does anyone want to play stamina 300%/damage ratio 1.1 with me?

EDIT:
Actually following the normal schedule it would be a bi-weekly since last friday was just a smashfest, saturday was the offweekly.
No, because since Cam is not hosting and this would have been biweekly week, the one after that would be normal.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
You can dair him from the top of the tornado, probably easier said than done. The weakpoint of the tornado is the top. I found while playing Harold and others MK that I can fair and nair through the tornado (with Marth tipper) if I aim near the top of the tornados side.

Actually following the normal schedule it would be a bi-weekly since last friday was just a smashfest, saturday was the offweekly.

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
You can dair him from the top of the tornado, probably easier said than done. The weakpoint of the tornado is the top. I found while playing Harold and others MK that I can fair and nair through the tornado (with Marth tipper) if I aim near the top of the tornados side.

That's right, dair is quite easy to land on it. I actually forgot because a metaknight would have to be pretty silly to try to tornado you from below.

Although I've missed dairs, it's only because I was being dumb.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Haha, listen to you kids and your silly little anti-tornado talks. Only a foolish Meta Knight would stay directly under a keying Game and Watch. It's very easy to move to the side and thus beat his useless key out of him. Barring any ninja-puffs or other-Knights, next bi-weekly you guys will all be witness to me Meta-tornadoing my way to victory! Remember to bring extra controllers as I suspect that many of you will simply smash your controller in frustration, powerless to stop my inevitable rampage.
... Unless you pick Jigglypuff...

PND

Smash Champion
^ or Snake.

Actually, that's something that I have to say I was impressed about. . . you guys are maturing and picking more viable characters and teams than before. The Ottawa scene is really maturing, all you guys need is a good IC's main now to help with avoiding chain grabs.

On that note, I've been working on my IC's and might actually start taking them seriously now. They're SO good.

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
@PND- If everyone picks meta/snake/falco/d3/g&w, I vow to stay Bluigi.
This is ottawa, like nobody here plays G&W!

*poor excuse of a a self-balancing personal transportation device into a rant*

I can, with confidence, admit that I have never once won a game where the opposition has chosen to comment on my skill as a player over G&W's power as a character (I lied, Ben has <3). ie, lots of "G&W is too good!" or "I just don't know how to beat G&W!" never with the "your". I'm not pointing fingers, it has just honestly happened a lot.

I have heard people compliment someone's skill using Snake, MK, Falco, *insert character higher tier than G&W here*, but not G&W. What gives about this character?

^ Serious discussion topic
v More serious discussion topic

Everyone who can beat me all have one thing in common. I'm not going to tell you guys out of spite. (and because I have to leave now, so I might later if you account for your sins)

PND

Smash Champion
I think a lot of it is the stigma surrounding the innate properties of the safety of G&W's moves. He is very easy to pick up and play, although people never stop to consider the aspects of spacing or the mindgames that come to alter your predictability, which can actually account for G&W being MORE difficult to use in some ways.

And by the way, your first statement, the "I have never once won a game. . . " is false. Remember the Snake versus G&W friendly we had, where I complimented you on being able to read exactly how I would DI, and being able to predict my landings really well? HA! I complimented you as a player. Snap, now I have a free pass to rant again.

However, a lot of *MY* personal G&W hate is directed at the fact that a relatively unskilled G&W completely ***** Jiggs. She has no chance in this matchup, and this is regardless of player skill. That's why I complain about him, and the sole reason why I picked up Snake. When it comes down to matchups like that, I personally excuse people *****ing about my character choice.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
@Remi-My guess is the thing that they all have in common is that they are not tricked by G&W's IASA frames.

Top Bottom