• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Fogel

Smash Lord
This is ottawa, like nobody here plays G&W!

*poor excuse of a a self-balancing personal transportation device into a rant*

I can, with confidence, admit that I have never once won a game where the opposition has chosen to comment on my skill as a player over G&W's power as a character (I lied, Ben has <3). ie, lots of "G&W is too good!" or "I just don't know how to beat G&W!" never with the "your". I'm not pointing fingers, it has just honestly happened a lot.

I have heard people compliment someone's skill using Snake, MK, Falco, *insert character higher tier than G&W here*, but not G&W. What gives about this character?

^ Serious discussion topic
v More serious discussion topic

Everyone who can beat me all have one thing in common. I'm not going to tell you guys out of spite. (and because I have to leave now, so I might later if you account for your sins)
As someone who's probably said stuff along those lines, I'd like to point out that as you're the only real G&W main, they're basically talking about your G&W due to not really playing anyone else's. Despite my johns, I acknowledge your skill as a good attacking player :)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Serious Topic: Not going to Not Genesis, give up that car seat to anyone else if it was ever taken.

My Turn to rant:

Falcon SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs!!!!!!!

/endrant

PND

Smash Champion
Cam, did Bryant get in touch with you? I was talking to him . . . just checking to see if he talked to you or not.

PND

Smash Champion
Hey Randy, Ally's Falcon beat my Jiggs. . . although it was really close. . . and recorded.

You have a chance! YOU CAN DO IT!

buenob

Smash Lord
the tournament was an exceptional experience... there wasn't a single player there who was sub par, and there was an absolutely amazing variety of talent... from marth's almost as good as orlando/moses trying to mindgames me into losing with "oh you'll beat me for sure" to a samus(yes samus)/pikachu player going 1-2 with me in pools, and finding out that angling your shield 100% of the time is pretty standard for some players, it was a very _VERY_ educational experience.... I am currently drinking and watching planet earth, but i'll post about it later

Fogel

Smash Lord
Do people want a biweekly or smashfest for Friday? We were discussing it in the car and we're leaning towards a biweekly at this point.

Also, I'm no mod, but please remember to keep off-topic stuff in the HD Remix thread; thanks!

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Do people want a biweekly or smashfest for Friday? We were discussing it in the car and we're leaning towards a biweekly at this point.
Depends on the kind of biweekly. It should be a Swiss, right?

Anyhow, biweekly or normal doesn't matter much to me. I predict that everyone wants a biweekly again.
(though, that would make it not a biweekly at all since at this point it has turned into a weekly >_>)

Also, I'm no mod, but please remember to keep off-topic stuff in the HD Remix thread; thanks!
Sorry.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I would like a bi-weekly, just so that all these "surprises" are still fresh in the mind.

I also need to try new "tactics" so I actually unleash my beast at tourneys, heh.

buenob

Smash Lord
..moved to hd remix page.. sorry :D

um... bi-weeklies are awesome! come to them!! learn!!! SWISS!!!2

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so is there a bi-weekly this friday, or is it a smashfest? If it IS a bi-weekly, sign me up :)

P.S. How did everyone like Not Genesis (this is of course referring to the people who went: Ben, Cam, Bryant)

buenob

Smash Lord
BWAHAAHAHAHA, i doubt livewire can understand the full extent of his comment :) lol

anyways, I hope we are, i like them... though I would consider reducing the legal stage list

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I propose a switch for our stage list.

Starters:

-Delfino Plaza
-Battlefield
-Final Masturbation
-Halberd
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Pen Island
-Lylat Bruise

Counter Picks:
-Brinstar
-Castle Siege
-Friggin Orpheon
-Luigi's Pimphouse
-No fair/Whorefair
-Dictochat/Pictocrap
-Pirate Ship
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Pokemon Gaydium 2(it is significantly gayer than PS1)
-Jungle Japes
-Rainbow Cruise

Fogel

Smash Lord
I propose a switch for our stage list.

Starters:

-Delfino Plaza
-Battlefield
-Final Masturbation
-Halberd
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Pen Island
-Lylat Bruise

Counter Picks:
-Brinstar
-Castle Siege
-Friggin Orpheon
-Luigi's Pimphouse
-No fair/Whorefair
-Dictochat/Pictocrap
-Pirate Ship
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Jungle Japes
-Rainbow Cruise
Any reason as to why Siege should be switched with Lylat? Just to be more consistent with other tourneys? Also, you misspelled 'Orpheon', it should be 'Orphanage' :)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I was going to argue that Castle Siege should be in counter-pick, but then I realized that if we moved Castle Siege then we should also move Delfino since they are both pretty similar. And to add my 2 cents worth into this matter, I think Lylat should be a starter.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
@Cam-Not quite to be consistent, but rather, I find that it interferes with gameplay less than Castle Siege. I'll say it before Harold gets here: Yes, that does mean more like Battlefield. I find that the main advantage of Lylat is that it tilts. Yes, this does gimp recoveries sometimes(Marth, G&W), but since it is constantly shifting, this makes camping holes just a bit wider. Camping is a very viable strat to some characters, but it is not the heart of any character(that I am aware of) and so it wouldn't interfere with anyone's strats on this stage too much.

Castle Siege does change, but isn't that bad. However, since there is ALWAYS the possibility of falling through the stage right as the transformations end, I think it should be moved to counterpick. Exceedingly rare, yes, but it is still a possibility.

And of course, CG-death is always an argument. It is not just on the middle transformation either. It is anytime the stage transforms. The game takes long enough for there to be a CG close enough to the blastline for a quick KO. I've done it lots of times. If you know the stage well enough, setting it up isn't too bad either(the first transformation is roughly 30 seconds in. I forget the other times it transforms though).

@Everyone-Randy brings up a good point with Delfino Plaza. I don't think it's as bad as Castle Siege since you can't fall through it(as far as I am aware). As well, CGs aren't as prevalent I find because going all the way to an edge is not as easy as in Castle Siege. If Delfino is to be swapped with something, I'd vote for Frigate.

Starters:

-Friggin Orphanage?
-Battlefield
-Final Masturbation
-Halberd
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Pen Island
-Lylat Bruise

Counter Picks:
-Brinstar
-Castle Siege
-Delfino Plaza?
-Luigi's Pimphouse
-No fair/Whorefair
-Dictochat/Pictocrap
-Pirate Ship
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Jungle Japes
-Rainbow Cruise[/QUOTE]

EDIT: I will not fight for my second proposal. I am jsut throwing it out there. But I assume we'd all go for Lylat of Castle? If we vote, then so far it is:

Switch: 3

Stay: 0

buenob

Smash Lord
lol my 2 cents

i support the banning of [pictochat, luigis mansion, ps2, whorefair]
I also support neutrals being [ps1, bf, fd, sv, yi, lylat, halberd]

in the sense that halberd is a tiny level half the time, and a large one the other half, and ps1 is a gigantic level]

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Sign me up!

Actually, although I love the OBscene rules due to personal preference and character choice, would it be better to play by toronto or montreal rules to try and play more seriously? I mean, if we are all that far behind the other cities, shouldn't we do something about it?

If you guys want to play by OBscene rules, I'd be willing to bump out Siege. I don't like the stage that much. It might be nice to switch in PKMN Stadium, but I like that delphino is there.

I want to try and get better. I've been trying different things with DI and my playstyle and stuff, and I'd like to learn all of you coming back from Not Genesis can tell me. I hope we as a comunity can try and get better. This means no more stuff like stage builder finals during tournament matches. (They rock during not tournies, though) I hope I'm not alone when I say I'd like our scene to compared to the other EC cities and look competent.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
What I would suggest is y'know, maybe throw in a stage or 2 to the mix one week, and then some others the next, etc as a sort of slow or slight test. Or something like that, but that's just me. And dunno, I always found Castle Siege worse than Delfino.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Playing by Toronto rules means we're wrecked if we go elsewhere, because Toronto's overly strict.

I asked the TO of not-genesis why ps2 was banned, and he said "uhh because it, like, changes"

even jungle japes was banned. trying to counterpick against Doc's D3 was hella hard.

Top Bottom