• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

PND

Smash Champion
I truly believe there is a large benefit in playing a low tier character. You become much more aware of their flaws and how to overcome them, it gives you a great grasp of spacing and how to be opportunistic. It grants better understanding of the tradeoff between approach and punishment. By studying the physics of Brawl through Jigglypuff, I feel it made my Snake that much better. And my Falco and Wario, I guess, but I'm still learning their intricacies. I mean, all the concepts I learned could also have been taught by a high tier character as well, but I feel that because it was absolutely vital to have a rock solid defensive game while still being a pressure player that I've improved overall quite a bit.

However I need results to validate this claim, and that's what this Friday is for.

It's funny, I've played Snake since Brawl was released but I never thought to try him competitively. It took my matches against Suo and my difficulty with Game and Watches to realize how well he suited my play style, and how truly how good(broken) he really is.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, when I played Ice Climbers (particularly in Melee), I never learned to play them particularly well... I could always just rely on their brokenness to do well. C-stick spam actually got me very far with them lol, combined with aerial juggling, desynced blizzards, and some minimal CGs.

Now with Sonic...... I have to actually try and read my opponent for once, and approach... even fake approaches, etc. It's so very different, I think I'm getting better as a player, not just at controlling my character. *shrug*

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
...I play as game&watch, so my approach is basically turtle. Although I do try to mix it up with sausage and running mind games(for those that remember last friday =P).

...and Wolf = blaster/bair.

>_>

Suo

Smash Apprentice
WOOOT, pending Randy's approval I get a spot in this weeks bi-weekly! :)

Ben and Randy, good games!

Skor Cookies+Milk for Upper God Tier?

10 second opening match suicide is potentially the greatest mind-game of all.

I beseech all of Ottawa to have more informal get togethers, my room is small so I can only house 3 at a time, maybe 4 if we pack. Just remember to make sure you have 2 working controllers...

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I'd like to have people over but it just doesn't feel like the right environment here... >.> For one, needs more chairs. Second, I have to move the litterbox. Third, parents, duh-oh. But my mom is usually good about not intruding on non-family guests.

<.< I'll talk to her about it :3

buenob

Smash Lord
whatever, i can hit on your mom :) lol

i think there's definitely enough people who are able to have people over to have enough friendly matches to keep us all satisfied... i know I definitely consider you guys friends now, not just rando's I met over the internet (ie. harold before I started showing up regularly to smash-fests lol)

if anyone can beat 10 seconds to have a 1 stock lead, I dare them to try! lol epic mind games

and good games, and thanks for the pizza... surprizingly I tanked almost as much as randy

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I'd like to have people over but it just doesn't feel like the right environment here... >.> For one, needs more chairs. Second, I have to move the litterbox. Third, parents, duh-oh. But my mom is usually good about not intruding on non-family guests.

<.< I'll talk to her about it :3
Just do what Harold will do, tell them that you are an internet predetor and your going to invite people over to **** them. At least she will know that you will be safe.

And to add to Ben's hitting of your mom, I will show up right before tanking 5 beers to be on my best behaviour.

and yes you did Ben...yes you did.

But to abide to my own rule of keeping this thread serious business, we still need someone who is going to record/edit the video for the finals and grand finals, and it will be awesome if someone could bring another tv or something.

jan

Smash Cadet
Since I probably won't be there on Friday, I'll leave my Wii with Harold for him to bring it so that you guys can save replays of the finals. All you have to do is boot the game using Ocarina in the homebrew channel.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm against a 'force people to watch the grand finals' rule. If they'd rather do something else with their biweekly time (rukshuk, melee, whatever) then they should be free to do so.
Enforcing a "watch the grand finals" rule would be silly.

If it's not fun to watch then why watch LOL? People go to tourneys to have a good time. If they're not having a good time watching let them find it playing. Moreover, how would one enforce such a rule? All other setups get shut off for finals?

arsenic41

Smash Ace

If it's not fun to watch then why watch LOL? People go to tourneys to have a good time. If they're not having a good time watching let them find it playing. Moreover, how would one enforce such a rule? All other setups get shut off for finals?
Nice sig. I like it!

and yeah, I'm not putting up a rule like that.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD

I'm here because I heard of this silliness.

Maybe you should tie their hands and bind them to chairs facing the tv the GFs are on.

>_>

PND

Smash Champion
Relax kids, it was just a friendly, mild suggestion that popped into my mind. I'll be watching the losers finals (between myself and Derek ;)) regardless. Then studying PND's amazingness at being amazing.
Fixed. :chuckle:10char

PND

Smash Champion
Speaking of, I need to practice your Lucario. A lot. Wolfblade and I are having an epic money match, Jiggs versus Lucario, loser is faced with marker humiliation.

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
I vote that Corneria become counterpick! All in favour say "I"

*several people shout "I"*

Yay! Corneria is now counterpick (please?)

See everyone tomorrow!

GO Leafs GO

PND

Smash Champion
Nay. Diddy + nanners + wall = diddy combo
Dedede + wall + downthrow = Dedede combo
Fox + wall + shine = Fox combo
Ness/Lucas + Magnet + Arwing lasers = full heal
Game & Watch + Bucket + Arwing lasers = HOLY ****ING ****
Jigglypuff + small kill zones + anyone = ;_;

EDIT: Actually, thinking about new strategies. . . hahaha, yes. Counterpick please?

In other news, I'm taking my Jiggs back out of retirement.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'm cool with Corneria as a counter-pick but it DOES have the most powerful stage hazard in the game...

By the way, last night Jan came over and we tested out that Ocarina hack thingy for the long replays. It worked. I've got his Wii here so we can record some matches, especially the Grand Finals. We will then FORCE EVERYBODY TO WATCH THEM!!! (at their own leisure on Youtube. :laugh:)

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I'm against corneria as a counter pick.

Wall+infrequent lazors+anything=combo+sad panda+ghey

PND

Smash Champion
Randy: I just heard of a sweet team combination that we should try sometime.

Ganon + Falco. Muderchoke into guaranteed laserlock. Spammy lasers stun the opponent into any of your moves. Falco racks percent quick but has kill issues. Ganondorf does not. Eh? >_>

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Choke-a-***** into laserlock eh? seems a bit situational and sketchy

LETS DO IT! (some other time though)

PND

Smash Champion
Then it's a perfect setup. Snake d-throw would do the same thing, I imagine. As long as they're lying on the ground, the laserlock will hit. I know G&W's dthrow lies them down, but it's techable.

Snake and Falco might make a pretty great team too. If only I could team with myself. . . I guess it's time to start training with my feet.

EDIT: This raises an interesting hypothetical. If someone COULD play two characters at once, would that be legal in doubles? I'd imagine so, if they paid, right?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Don't get any ideas Mike, I don't think you could be playing two people at once, regardless of how "theoretically possible" it may be. I'd have a better chance at 3 stocking your Snake with my Fox....on Corneria.

Top Bottom