• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
I hope I'm signed up for bi-weekly on the 10th, for both singles and doubles. Deedeedeediddity will be back in full force :D

xD randy, have fun trying to say it again :p

IvanEva

Smash Ace
A concern concerning bi-weekly registration concerns: Ok, so the waiting list guys get first dibs. That sounds really good. However, how do the rest of the people get in? For this bi-weekly you posted that we have to sign up on the 5th. However, you then caved and went against that. So, what I'm asking is really: when's the earliest to sign up for the bi-weeklies? Would it be AT the bi-weekly "Hey Randy, sign me up for the next one!"? Right after it? The first post after it? In total there's really only 20 or so Ottawa Smashers. Cam, would four more people be too much?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Remember, people usually do hook an extra TV up upstairs and play there. I couldn't see why not. But, it's entirely up to Cameron as it's his house, heh.

If this proposition passes, sign me up. :D

Reaver

Smash Cadet
Hi all, just heard about this thing you've got going here. Used to dabble a bit in the melee scene and I thought it'd be cool to come out of hiding and come check out what's going on in the Brawl community. I noticed that there are no spots left in singles but does that mean there's no room for new teams either? If not, a friend and myself would like to attend :D But if it is the case, I guess I'd like to get on the waiting list for the next one.

Also, hi Fogel :p

flash7

Smash Journeyman
The waiting list thing sounds pretty good, although Harold is kinda right. I can say "Randy, whenever you post the bi-weekly registration just put me on there." If you do it then it wouldnt be fair to others and eventually everyone might ask you to put them on the list asap.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
A concern concerning bi-weekly registration concerns: Ok, so the waiting list guys get first dibs. That sounds really good. However, how do the rest of the people get in? For this bi-weekly you posted that we have to sign up on the 5th. However, you then caved and went against that. So, what I'm asking is really: when's the earliest to sign up for the bi-weeklies? Would it be AT the bi-weekly "Hey Randy, sign me up for the next one!"? Right after it? The first post after it? In total there's really only 20 or so Ottawa Smashers. Cam, would four more people be too much?
I caved because no one read the line saying "Registrations begin Oct. 5th 2008" and already like 5 people signed up. But next time I will explicitly say that registrations begin on XX date, and the people with the earliest post will get in, so from here on out, I can't do any more favours and get people in early.

The only exceptions to this rule will be Cameron, since he owns the house, it is impossible for him to NOT be in singles. And me since...well, I own the bi-weeklies :p

And the next time I meet Derek, I'm telling him that he will also have to start using SWF to register, so he will NOT HAVE GUAREENTED SINGLES STARTING FROM THE NEXT BI-WEEKLY

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
The only exceptions to this rule will be Cameron, since he owns the house, it is impossible for him to NOT be in singles. And me since...well, I own the bi-weeklies :p

And the next time I meet Derek, I'm telling him that he will also have to start using SWF to register, so he will NOT HAVE GUAREENTED SINGLES STARTING FROM THE NEXT BI-WEEKLY
Don't forget me, because i don't even live in that city=D. But i can signs up for sure for Oct 10!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Sorry Ian, you will always get guareented singles for the bi-weeklies

IN AMERICA!

Locke)

Smash Ace
If the scene continues to grow at this rate, getting into a bi-weekly is going to get pretty frustrating.

What are Cam's thoughts of increasing bracket size? Assuming everyone attending is well-known and can be trusted around the house, a tv or two on the main floor would permit more gameplay and allow more players without becoming uncontrollable.

Tiers can be implemented into seeds. The only issue I can think of is time. But from what I've seen, if singles and double are done with no side-tracking (I was admittedly a big part of that last week) then say a 24 man singles bracket could be possible with Randy's fancy pants bracket program.

Jesus was that Reaver I saw posting around here somewhere? Us ghosts really are coming out to haunt.

buenob

Smash Lord
I for one would be willing to stay and help clean up as long as I can catch the last bus... but really I don't want to put any pressure on Cam

of course we would rather have more people in on this, but if it's no go then it's no go :)

PND

Smash Champion
I for one would be willing to stay and help clean up as long as I can catch the last bus... but really I don't want to put any pressure on Cam

of course we would rather have more people in on this, but if it's no go then it's no go :)
After the biweeklies I usually drive past your area anyway. I could always give you a ride if you need one, it's on my way.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Biweekly size will NOT increase past 16, we've already had this discussion. Aside from space problems, we also usually don't end until 1am these days and I don't want that to go even later.

Also, I don't like having TVs upstairs because people just rearrange everything on that floor however they want and then I have to go and put it back later. I already have to clean up things in the basement every week, I don't want to have to clean up my ground floor too.

buenob

Smash Lord
that's enough for me :)

sorry to drag this up, didn't know this is a complete re-hash

on another note, i'm really looking forward to the next bi-weekly as it'll be my chance to de-throne derek... after getting knocked out fairly soundly by him last time i've had to wait a month to get my revenge!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Alan, I kid you not, I was sangbagging the hell out of myself at Harolds. But then again, I never played you during rotation :p.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol whatever :) bring it :D i heard legends about world 2-4... i've only dreamed of being there myself...

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Lucas isn't going to take any of this Lucario/Wario/ROB bull****. He's back and meaner than ever!

Randy: Sandbagging only makes you worse. I think it's partially the reason why I've been sucking so much lately, but no more! Lucas will be teaching Wario some respect on the 10th.

And then Marth will kill him. I have to be realistic.

PND

Smash Champion
Haha, you guys. It's cute, thinking you're going to win. It really is.

Now that I can deal with Game & Watches, nothing can stop me :p My signature is getting a new face soon. BUT WHOM?

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Lucas isn't going to take any of this Lucario/Wario/ROB bull****. He's back and meaner than ever!

Randy: Sandbagging only makes you worse. I think it's partially the reason why I've been sucking so much lately, but no more! Lucas will be teaching Wario some respect on the 10th.

And then Marth will kill him. I have to be realistic.
Sandbagging by playing PT?

Handle G&W? Oh id say snake :).

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Well, I probably can't come to Bi-Weekly X, but I'll most likely make it for XI! Then Lucario will shine if he hasn't gotten rusty >.> He is a Steel type, you know.

buenob

Smash Lord
heh, I can't play as snake, but I sure as hell can kill him :)

rob v snake is aparently a great machup... according to the 'experts' even FD is a counterpick level in favour of rob in that matchup

flash7

Smash Journeyman
FD? You mean BF? FD has no platforms which I think helps Snake alot with the c4 planting and possibly the almighty uptilts.

buenob

Smash Lord
no actually i mean FD... platforms add to snake more than rob, and my top (properly spaced) defeats the mortar slide, and a large level means I can camp better

forums > character discussion > matchup cleanup thread

PND

Smash Champion
Yeah, ROBs apparently beat Snakes with a better camp game. Laser / Dreidle stops the Mortar slide in its tracks. I've had good experience against ROBs as my Wario, though, so I'd love to test that match out some more. Or Falco. In fact, I think I've only ever faced your ROB as Jigglypuff.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol ya that's an unfortunate matchup :( i'd love to play some falco's as runaway fire's totally ***** me at FFYF, and JL's wario also beat me pretty bad too (and ally but he doesn't count 'cause of god tier lol)

buenob

Smash Lord
seriously, after watching ally beat KingAce on his favourite level (squigi's mansion) I honestly think people have no one to blame but themselves for losing to an mk player...

he's good yes.. he has more than one option in each situation.. his recovery is great.. he gimps people really well..

BUT! honestly if you react to what he's doing, each character has specific moves that will beat him out... for example, every character can beat out his tornado, it just takes timing... people are annoyed that shuttleloop > gliding attack has no lag and you can't "shield grab" because he's already buffered a dsmash... but really, just shield that too... there _is_ some lag on that which can be punished

how is that different from a couple of robs attacks?.. if I time my bair properly there's 0 landing lag on it and I can buffer up a dsmash (woo damage!) but people have gotten used to my dsmash and block it now... and learned how to counter it...

just 'cause it takes more work to learn how to counter _all_ of MK's tricks doesn't mean it's not possible, it just takes more skill

in the thread someone compared MK to Yun in SF3... i think that's really accurate... _very_ good, very overpowered, but completely beatable if you know how he works

ps: infzy - maybe you could repost about MK's sword hitbox, it was a good post and i was going to re-post it here until i realized it was you who said it :)

buenob

Smash Lord
they usually start sometime after 5

and julien will probably be showing up around 6, i hope to get there earlier

Top Bottom