• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Suo

Smash Apprentice
So yeah, he won the tournament here on the 20th. He not only didn't lose a single match, he 3 stocked every single one of his opponents, including me :).

Here are videos :).

Finals: Dojo vs Santi
www.youtube.com/watch?v=46QmG2b4eAg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eWXHMeD2oM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASMKeBRHRto

Discuss.
That's Hylian talking about an up and coming MK player named Dojo.
He recently won a big tourney in Texas, 2 and 3 stocking every single one of his opponents, no exceptions.

When talking about banning MK, it really has nothing to do with Tornado, sure it ***** the lower tiers, but everyone in high and upper-mid has a really reliable counter to it. If you look at the best MK's they rarely if ever use Tornado.

What makes MK so ridiculously overpowered is that when played at the level of someone like Dojo or M2K, he can literally spend an entire match without ever being at a disadvantage. It's literally just attack, attack, attack, attack, without a legitimate counter attack being available. If there is one the window is so small that you miss and the cycle renews again.

If things continue this way, I see MK being banned within the next 5 months. In my oppinion, the only way this will change, is if a really game changing counter to MK is found.

Make sure to watch those videos of Dojo, it was what really cemented in my mind that MK is broken beyond repair. Oh and Santi is arguably one of the best TL players in the world.

To make sure I'm still slightly on topic for this thread, I probably won't be showing up to Smashfests and Bi-weeklies for a while, because I'm gonna be working full time including Fridays, starting this Monday:(

I should have posted this in our Remix thread, but OH WELL

jan

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I dunno about the whole Metaknight thing. If he deserves a ban, it's not because of those videos. The guy playing Toon Link was too ambitious with a lot of his plays, killed himself intentionally two times, and seemed more frustrated than anything else.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I still think that it is too early to determine. In the video's, I didn't think that Metaknight was broken as more Dojo is just a great metaknight player. Until eveyone using metaknight is as good as Dojo, I don;t think MK should be banned.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
In that case, Wildabeast is out, and since Alan was on top of the waiting list, he will be in for the next bi-weekly

mouse7245

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if you guys remember but last time I played derek my marth destroyed his CF... Phil for Godlier Tier!

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Anyone? At all?

For dbls? I've gotten better I swear! Ask Orlando! We were playing some teams last friday, and I was doing alright in teams.

So someone up for partnering in dbls?

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I might pull Randy <.< >.>

Experimenting with others sounds kinda fun, especially after the godly wall of sausages and DK punch :p

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I don't know if you guys remember but last time I played derek my marth destroyed his CF... Phil for Godlier Tier!
You misunderstand. Derek is in God tier because he doesn't actually exist, we just say that we believe in him because he gives us hope and something to strive towards. However, let's not kid ourselves here, he's not real. Somebody made up this 'Derek' and we've all been going along with it just because everybody else has gone along with it. Now, some of you might try to argue for Derek's existence, naively claiming that there are various eye witnesses that have actually seen him in real life. However, mass delusions have happened in the past (think puerto rico and the like), so let's not be fooled.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
I might pull Randy <.< >.>

Experimenting with others sounds kinda fun, especially after the godly wall of sausages and DK punch :p
The wall of sausage was pretty cool. Also, the whole "Experimenting with others sounds kinda fun" could be taken completely outta context, but I'm too lazy to think of something clever.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Experimenting with others' wall of sausages while donkey punching them?

That's packed with enough innuendo as is :p:)

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Dammit people, this isn't Melee! It's not a wall of sausage anymore! After realizing that consuming too much meat might give him colon cancer later in life, Mr. Game & Watch came to Brawl full of a wide assortment of produce! It's practically innuendo free now!

As for the bi-weekly, how's about we start to soft (i.e. not actually a rule but still discussed as if it was) enforce a sort of Grand Final's spectator rule where the other players are encouraged to actually gather round and watch the Grand Finals matches of Doubles/Singles. (Despite probably never having bothered to watch a single Grand Finals match myself...) I really believe that it's both a sign of respect to the Grand Finals players as well as a good opportunity to reflect on what those two finalists did that made them triumph over the others.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Nah, although it could be kinda cool sometimes (**** talking or w/e) Id rather play some friendlies/melee with the limited time thats available.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Most of the time when you've been kicked out of the bracket you don't want to go watch others win unless its the finals. Plus sometimes they take a long time to finish and there's a lot of rock stacking, magic, meleeing, and friendlies to be done. I'd rather play then watch.

buenob

Smash Lord
I gotta say every time I'm there I always watch the finals (except that one time I had to go get drunk so I left asap)... I really enjoy watching brawl, so less spectators means a better seat for me :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ that might help, actually. In preparing for bigger tournaments.

I'm in favour of grand final spectatorship.

Edit: Whoah, I missed this somehow
ps: infzy - maybe you could repost about MK's sword hitbox, it was a good post and i was going to re-post it here until i realized it was you who said it :)
Heh you should have just quoted me, although it was kind of a rush job post anyway. That thread moves too darn fast (and with way too many n00bs). Also, I'm pretty sure the Ottawa scene knows about how MK works kinda weird with respect to priority, but oh well, I think you were referring to this post:
It doesn't make a lot of sense to talk about priority being "high" or "low" (or "super" lol) for MK's sword. Unlike the ground attacks of every other character in the game, MK's jab-combo, tilts, and slashes do not clash. Nor can they be interrupted. What this means is a) if you overlap a ground-attack hitbox with MK's ground-attack hitbox, neither attack will stop. This usually favours MK since his attacks are so disjointed that he'll likely get to your hurtbox before you get to his, but not always. More importantly, b) it means MK has a unique weakness against projectile spam; he is unable to stop any projectiles with most of his ground attacks. Yes, you can usually just hit most projectiles to kill them, but where most characters can do this, MK cannot. Also Snake's mortar is a unique projectile on its own; only some aerials can kill it, like everything Sonic has, but not others, like Ness' Fair, or any of MK's aerials except his glide attack. (and maybe his Nair as I've heard claimed, but have yet to see proof.)
It's kinda moot cuz I rarely see people hit projectiles to stop them, they just dodge or shield. But it's kinda interesting that MK generally doesn't have the option.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
It feels kinda stupid putting up a rule stating that "all bi-weekly participants MUST witness the grand finals" I say, if you want to then do it. Personally, I prefer the air melee.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hmm, maybe just make more notice of it, like an announcement when the grand finals are happening, and maybe advise ppl to turn down the volume of other consoles a l'il just so there's less distraction for the final fight.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
If you guys start watching then maybe others may begin to watch as well, but for now Ill just be busy shine ****** Randy on Pokemon Stadium :p.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Onto a moar serious topic, I need to keep track of who is bring a wii and who is bring a TV, since we don't want things to end up like last time with 15 people in a 3 tv venue -_-.

From now on, Post if your bringing a TV or Wii.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm against a 'force people to watch the grand finals' rule. If they'd rather do something else with their biweekly time (rukshuk, melee, whatever) then they should be free to do so.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hm....not to sound really stupid but....could someone explain some of these rules and stuff? Yo Mike, thought you already covered everything last time, dudeman? ;)

PND

Smash Champion
I agree with Fogel. But now that we're a month away from Niagara, I most certainly will be watching the finals. ('Cuz I'll be playing them) because now it's time to get serious. . . again. :p I'll be watching every match, taking every opportunity to get better, learn character and player strategies, and focus on adapting.

Nothing like a big tourney to get the competitive spirit pumping through me.

P.S. Oh, hey Tyler. This week is a biweekly tournament. Next week is friendlies. It alternates every week. You should probably introduce yourself in the HD Remix thread :p

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I agree with Fogel. But now that we're a month away from Niagara, I most certainly will be watching the finals. ('Cuz I'll be playing them) because now it's time to get serious. . . again. :p I'll be watching every match, taking every opportunity to get better, learn character and player strategies, and focus on adapting.

Nothing like a big tourney to get the competitive spirit pumping through me.

P.S. Oh, hey Tyler. This week is a biweekly tournament. Next week is friendlies. It alternates every week. You should probably introduce yourself in the HD Remix thread :p
If you are that dedicated, you should pull another Randy and actually take notes on everyone.

Locke)

Smash Ace
Tournament play = very tough on the nerves. brawl might be easier because the gameplay is slower, but playing something like chester's fox in a melee tournament was something else.

Having people watch is good. Forcing people to watch is bad. If you can't have a crowd, make losing bad. Get creative, think of something that doesn't involve just cash to amp the pressure.

PND

Smash Champion
That actually sounds like a good idea, in its dedicated absurdity.

It'll be hard to take notes AND dethrone SAUS at the same time though. Even *I'm* not that overconfident. But, I could draw little pictures in the margins. Tough call.

Locke)

Smash Ace
Put me down for the waiting list. I'll even enter singles and try this time.

Of course try means tier-whoring. You know how it goes.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
That actually sounds like a good idea, in its dedicated absurdity.

It'll be hard to take notes AND dethrone SAUS at the same time though. Even *I'm* not that overconfident. But, I could draw little pictures in the margins. Tough call.
It's funny because you think I'm joking, but I'm not.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
my plan was to sand bag with a low tier character, and then cause a huge ruckus in the ottawa society by showing only a fraction of my true power :p

Top Bottom