• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Power Rankings: Updated 02/04/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. I didn't promise any recent updates, aside form one before Brawl comes out. Also no one in WA cares about PR lol.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Whenever we all get a chance to get together and discuss it, now that there are five panelists and all.

Climax11

Smash Ace
so...every pannelist has to have a say? I figured the point was you'd all be like "meet on aim chat, friday at 9, whoevers not there misses this session as far as say goes."

But if it's like "well...friday? Oh no, peach masta has to spend time with his gf, ryan. Sat? No, foos has a nooner with Oc George and Juce has a evening mastur bation match with lucious. Sunday? Bart has to do what to kefka? uh..." Well really then...this will not fly, no sir. I demand a revote.

oh, ps. you don't even want me to mention what kind of things eggz does to silent cub. ewww.

T0MMY

Smash Master
so...every pannelist has to have a say? I figured the point was you'd all be like "meet on aim chat, friday at 9, whoevers not there misses this session as far as say goes."

But if it's like "well...friday? Oh no, peach masta has to spend time with his gf, ryan. Sat? No, foos has a nooner with Oc George and Juce has a evening mastur bation match with lucious. Sunday? Bart has to do what to kefka? uh..." Well really then...this will not fly, no sir. I demand a revote.
Good point, Guy.
Why not just post discussions here whenever people have the time?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Bart and I are working on an arrangement of panelist. Don't worry my children of smash. This will be updated soon. We might not count StS though.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
How convenient.
Only for Bart. Oh, and for me. :chuckle:

Edit:
I just realized that not taking a tournament into account is ******** and counter-productive especially since Tudios did exceptionally well, out of state competition showed up, and many players came out of their way to attend this tournament to show how much they've improved in a competitive environment.

Not accepting the competition from STS toward competitive rankings would be a poor reflection on the PR council.

T0MMY

Smash Master
What is this about an "arrangement of panelists"; who came up with that idea?

The whole point of a PR list is to motivate people to get better through competition. They want top spot, they have to earn it. It's a good groundwork until it's lost in execution when you become so selective.
By not applying last tournament results, whether or not it's to skew results in anyone's favor, you bring down the sense of competitiveness the mission statement builds as a foundation--people will think "Oh, I tried so hard at that tournament and for nothing... maybe the next tournament won't be counted, even if I do well..."

Maybe you noobs don't remember what "real" tournaments like were when we could only muster up 6 people to play in the entire state, but as the tournament host who contended with plenty of trials and tribulations to even make that event happen I'd be slightly upset to have it 'mean nothing' here. GG.

Balloon

Smash Lord
A lot of people seem to agree that StS was a pretty big failure in many ways. Hell, I didn't even get my prize money from winning second in doubles. What the hell? I've already said to Jesse though that Tudios should move up, regardless if we count StS or not. It has nothing to do with my playing so poorly at that tournament. When you say OOS players came, you mean one player. The OOSers besides Delphiki didn't even play in singles if I recall correctly. although maybe my memory is just being dumb.

Either way the after party was too good.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If "a lot" of people thought STS was a "pretty big failure" then why are they not saying anything? Why did everyone fake having a good time? Or maybe "a lot" of people thought it was a "pretty big failure" because those people didn't do well in the tournament?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Bart, you only paid the $5 for entrance. You didn't pay for singles or doubles, you didn't get any prize money for doubles because of that, but Andy got his share. I couldn't pay out what wasn't put in the pot.

Let's not get into a quibble again and instead of focus on solving the problems with the PR instead. I'd like my comments addressed regarding the very basic foundation of having a PRL motivate players to do better instead of make them wonder if they should bother playing at all if it's not going to count and then get back into johning.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Not to play devil's advocate to you all the time Tommy, but this is my take on it. Like I was saying before the PR came to be, if someone can't motivate themselves on their own, they're pretty worthless. I thought the most powerful argument for the PR was that it would show OOS who they want to play to play the best, and that's not something that will be straight for a while I imagine.

"If "a lot" of people thought STS was a "pretty big failure" then why are they not saying anything? Why did everyone fake having a good time?"

They don't want to hurt your feelings? None of the people who came to my place said anything about it to you until just now, when BC and Bart posted. And that's just two of them.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I guess the two people who said not to use it in a PR matter more than all the rest of them who said they enjoyed the tourney I put on? k

I do see people give suggestions as to how to help make the PR list better.
What you're saying isn't helping the PRL and certainly not helping the Smash community, it's the start of more mud-slinging, so what's the point?

I'm not a panelist or anything here, you should be talking to them about it, not whining to me. I did everything I could to organize a successful event, I don't feel like I need to defend myself.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Uh, lol. What? Mud-slinging? I don't give a shit about the PR buddy. I'm not whining to anyone about anything. This is another instance of your inability to see things clearly. The only negative thing I said about the PR as it is now is that it isn't accurate. My goal isn't to give suggestions or any shit like that, as the only solution is to wait until a good amount of large-turnout, quality tournaments have happened that all of the best players attend and that's it.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Tommy, the reason I didn't put in any money to the tournament is because you and Timmy BOTH owed me five dollars, and I was implying that you guys should put the money in for me since you OWE it to me ANYWAY. Apparently that was way complicated of an idea or something.

Anyway, the whole us not counting StS has absolutely nothing to do with how badly I did. It's not like I would move anywhere anyway if we did count it. :|

Since I didn't get my ****ing prize money, Tommy, I expect to have my ****ing gas money from you and Timmy ASAP. No ****ing johns. Tudios gave it to me right as I walked into the venue last weekend.

EDIT: @ Timmy: I see what you did there. Here, let me do it too.

"A lot" of people decided that "StS was a pretty big failure" because "OoSers" were told to "wait until a good tournament like SF:E" and "not to bother attending The Finger Bang". When players travel to tournaments, they want them to have "decent turnout". 14 players entering singles is not "decent turnout". So, "a lot" of players consider it a "big failure" when "Delphiki" has to spend a ****load on gas to make it to a ****ty ****ing tournament after being told not to try instead to make it to an ACTUAL EVENT like Finger Bang 2.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Uh, lol. What? Mud-slinging? I don't give a shit about the PR buddy.
I said it would be the "start" of it and to focus on something more constructive. So, no problems, good.

Tommy, the reason I didn't put in any money to the tournament is because you and Timmy BOTH owed me five dollars, and I was implying that you guys should put the money in for me since you OWE it to me ANYWAY. Apparently that was way complicated of an idea or something.

Since I didn't get my ****ing prize money, Tommy, I expect to have my ****ing gas money from you and Timmy ASAP. No ****ing johns. Tudios gave it to me right as I walked into the venue last weekend.
No, Bart, I paid all my gas money. We each had to put in $5 for gas, once up and once back. I gave you $10. At first I said I'd cover t!mmy, but I didn't have enough, so I just said he'd have to pay you for it. To not pay in a tournament I'm hosting because you thought I owed you money was a mistake.

Anyway, the whole us not counting StS has absolutely nothing to do with how badly I did. It's not like I would move anywhere anyway if we did count it. :|
Why wouldn't you when everyone else would?

Balloon

Smash Lord
Because the PR isn't and hasn't ever been ONLY a reflection on tournament standings, Tommy.

You owe me gas money. This is bull****. The morning we left I had to put 20 ****ing dollars in the tank so we could get back to Eugene. I EXPLICITLY STATED THAT SINCE NOBODY HAD ANY MONEY EXCEPT FOR ME, YOU GUYS COULD JUST PAY ME FIVE BUCKS EACH LATER. Ask Tudios. Why else would he give me five dollars for gas from Finger Bang 2? Yes, you're correct about paying five dollars each for the way up and five dollars each for the way back. The trouble is that you and Timmy did NOT put in gas money Sunday morning, the morning you had to get back to Eugene for work. Don't be a ****ing scammer and pay me my money.

And Tommy, it wasn't that I simply "did not pay" at StS. You came up to me asking for my doubles entrance, and I said "oh I thought you owed me five dollars. Could you just put the five you owe me in for my entrance instead?" You said, at least I thought you said, "oh yeah, sure". Apparently I was wrong. I would never intentionally not ****ing pay. I thought it was covered.

And, I did pay for singles.

Also I'm pretty sure the only mistake I made was going to that piece of **** tournament instead of spending the money and time that I spent there on beer and partying and actually having fun.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Wow, I gave you $10, the same everyone was expected to, and from what I remember I was one of the only people that actually paid full share, and you expect more? I don't get it.
I'm not scamming you. This isn't a thread for you to spam your money issues, go ask t1mmy for his share of the gas.

I'm not stingy with money, I will happily give out as much money as I can afford to help with anything I can. I helped pay for my share of gas, I helped pay for people to travel to come play with us, and I covered any additional expenses out of my pocket.
Saying a fun tournament was bad and getting your friends to do the same because you performed poorly isn't going to do any good for anyone.

Have fun not discussion a PR list.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Pretty sure my friends are just as independent as I am and they can make informed decisions for themselves. I express my opinion on things, and if they agree then they agree. What's hard to understand about that?

You owe me gas money, and Timmy even just told me that he actually paid you five bucks for the first portion (that is, to go UP to Portland), which means that you both still owe me five dollars for coming back down from there. What's hard to understand about this?

Maybe if you were on AIM more often we could actually resolve things without using SWF?

Climax11

Smash Ace
The Future LORD OF BRAWL has deemed all these petty conflicts beneath him.

I think we should count drunk crews in the pr list ;) This said...I think we should have bi weekly drunk crews. :)

T0MMY

Smash Master
No, t1mmy did not give me any money on the way up there. It doesn't matter because he'll probably cover his share of gas to you.
I don't need to be on AIM just to have you ask me for money when I had to cover your entrance fee, like I said, I'm not stingy with money, I'm sure I've shown this enough by paying out whatever I can just so everyone can play Smash together.

Please, get back to discussing your PR. Nothing was ever addressed as to what is happening with it; it is seemingly going nowhere. To help facilitate this, I'm out of this discussion.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Yeah, for sure, your monetary contributions and hard work is very appreciated Tommy. Seriously, I know I appreciate it.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Okay.

THE LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED FINALLY!!! Yay. This time we had a full blown discussion via AIM about the past two tournaments. Things went very smoothly. Make sure you all read the initial post, and again, discuss everything you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom