• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Play Tier

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
So how many tourneys that matter on online play, or better yet, how many people are playing very competivley online?

Also if it's an online tier list, Wolf would **** the whole cast.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
It should. Because a lot of characters get ***** in the *** by lag, and others benefit from it.

Deflect

Smash Cadet
I don't really care, I'm just saying. I don't think any tournament should be played online.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
So how many tourneys that matter on online play, or better yet, how many people are playing very competivley online?

Also if it's an online tier list, Wolf would **** the whole cast.

There are a lot of online tournies going on, especially with allisbrawl. Just because they're held online doesnt mean they don't matter

She-Geek

Smash Cadet
ehh the lag is so terrible everybody johns like crazy. The tier list for offline play is shifting so much anyway, trying to iron out one for online where the internet speeds vary would be insane. If you wanna go for it power to ya, but I don't know if there's a lot of people that wanna jump on that bandwagon right now.

thatsyournamedude

Smash Rookie
its really disappointing that they didn't do a better job with online play. For a game that is dissected down to a single frame, any lag during online play is unacceptable, it throws the whole game off. I know its been said before, but it bears repeating.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
its really disappointing that they didn't do a better job with online play. For a game that is dissected down to a single frame, any lag during online play is unacceptable, it throws the whole game off. I know its been said before, but it bears repeating.
I think this is one of the main reason why the buffer window is so high in this game.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
lol, the down b. I'd say just play falcon and old falcon punch and reverse falcon punch the WHOLE match.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
You want a tier list for online play? Fine.

Top Tier:
- IRL Tourneys

Low Tier:
- Excellent WiFi connection

Lame Tier:
- Any other Wifi connection

Bottom Tier:
- Captain Falcon

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Biggest boosts in online play:

Ike
Pikachu
Marth
Fox

Biggest nerfs in online play:

Ness/Lucas
Diddy Kong
Falco
Ice Climbers
Are you honestly kidding me? Marth and Jigglypuff are in the biggest nerfs, but Ness and Lucas should be taken out of there unless its extreme lag. You can still control PKT2 fine with lag.

Marth doesn't get a boost at all. Spacing and weaving is near impossible to do right.
Exactly. He's actually one of the worst in minor lag. Mainly because it messes his aerial game so bad.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
There are a lot of online tournies going on, especially with allisbrawl. Just because they're held online doesnt mean they don't matter
All I said was do they matter. The SBR don't look into the online tourneys very much. Online tourney's, since you don't win prize money most of the time, it's not even worth the trouble doing. But who's to say that I'm right, I could be wrong.

Biggest boosts in online play:

Ike Good
Pikachu Good
Marth Many Marth mains johned about playing Marth online, so I'm not sure about him
Fox Good

Biggest nerfs in online play:

Ness/Lucas Using they PK Thunder to get back is kind of hard if your not use to the lag
Diddy Kong Good
Falco Camping is very effective online, I'm not sure why you put Falco on the biggest nerfs
Ice Climbers Good
Comments in Bold.

Also, does no one else think that Wolf ***** hard online.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
It's not johning, it's the thruth.
A good Marth player keeps their opponents at optimal range to stay safe when attacking. Online, the lag messes up your timing and spacing very badly.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
^ I agree a lot with this one. Sure, everyone gets some lashback somewhere, but now that I can't powershield Wolf's Blaster and I have to resort to losing my full shield and hitting Nayru's, the fight is pretty much heavily in his advantage.

Zelda should be mid still. I cannot recover with her on WiFi, my smash attack speed feels a bit dulled, and I can't land lightning kicks, but man, is it easy to screw people up with jab and Fsmash.

Cyru$

Smash Rookie
Yes, Pika gets a very nice boost online. His Thunder attack is very effective and his down smash is harder to SDI out of making it a very good damage racking move or even KO-move.
And Ike with his very laggy but powerful attacks also do well online, since the lag matters less there.

§leepy God

Smash Master
God tier: Wolf Snake Ike
Top Tier: MK DK Pika Fox

Seriously wifi is BS =/
I agree with your chracter list so far.

Why I no longer play online Brawl but offline one instead because a lot of people take an online match too serouisly and clam they are better than you when they pick a spammer that's good online. That's why I say take it offline and prove it, lol.

Deflect

Smash Cadet
MK is pretty nerfedo nline, its extremely hard to string attacks together. snake gets kind of a buff, i guess
Yea, it's kind of hard to get some good combos going.

Why I no longer play online Brawl but offline one instead because a lot of people take an online match too serouisly and clam they are better than you when they pick a spammer that's good online. That's why I say take it offline and prove it, lol.
That's very true too.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Some characters that rely on prediction anyways are BETTER online, however that doesnt make them good. In example Ganondorf relies on prediction to win. If he uses a fsmash and you try to interrupt it with a jab from Falco, the lag may cause that fsmash to hit before your jab because of input delay. Slow, strong characters are better on wifi, imho. Im talking like 20 frame lag here. Characters with spammable kill moves are all playable on wifi and characters that are reliant on timing are thrown off. High level Metaknights are based on timing, however his great kill moves keep him top tier on wifi. Snake gets a large boost because spacing against his hitboxes is just plain unfair.

Mr Gnw is helped on wifi, because lag makes his bair almost unpunishable. He has 3 very great kill moves. Olimar is also decent on wifi for the same reasons. Ice climbers are nerfed for obvious reasons, along with Marth and Diddy Kong.

Btw Sonic is a ***** on wifi. I seriously dont care.

All of this is assuming (non-blue connections), which I never have so yeah...and they still suck ^^

Freezewish

Smash Ace
Some characters that rely on prediction anyways are BETTER online, however that doesnt make them good. In example Ganondorf relies on prediction to win. If he uses a fsmash and you try to interrupt it with a jab from Falco, the lag may cause that fsmash to hit before your jab because of input delay. Im talking like 20 frame lag here. Characters with spammable kill moves are all playable on wifi and characters that are reliant on timing are thrown off. High level Metaknights are based on timing, however his great kill moves keep him top tier on wifi. Snake gets a large boost because spacing against his hitboxes is just plain unfair.

Mr Gnw is helped on wifi, because lag makes his bair almost unpunishable. He has 3 very great kill moves. Olimar is also decent on wifi for the same reasons. Ice climbers are nerfed for obvious reasons, along with Marth and Diddy Kong.

Btw Sonic is a ***** on wifi. I seriously dont care.

All of this is assuming (non-blue connections), which I never have so yeah...

Dont forget camping with ROB and spot-dodge, dsmash spam. Input delay+ROB's aerials =uber. :mad:

Top Bottom