• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Behavior

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
We all know that Nintendo is always trying to create a gaming experience for all ages, but when the Wii comes out, people will be able to connect online.
And when people connect online into a game, they expect to have the ability to chat with the other players.
And when the 'chatting' turns into fighting, inappropriate words are certain to be set loose.
This problem is sure to be magnified with the use of headsets.
This might turn into another X-Box (Halo) problem!

How are the rules going to be enforced?
Censorship would help, but there are always ways to pass by minor security platforms.

Not that this is a HUGE deal, but it can get pretty annoying sometimes when a group of people start their own swearing contest while others are forced to either ignore or suffer through.

Another problem, that will most likely NOT be a problem, is cheating.
Cheating will, I assume, be delt with strictly, like many online games coming out now.
I mean, I can't really see any way to cheat in SSB, but there will always be those clever computer virus wizes, creating harmful programs to cause misery. I hope Nintendo has a good method for this.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Nintendo doesn't really seem to be going into "chatting" territory with online games. Not only do none of their games support voice chat (that I am aware of anyway), but they have also not announced a headset or any games that would use one.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Nintendo doesn't really seem to be going into "chatting" territory with online games. Not only do none of their games support voice chat (that I am aware of anyway), but they have also not announced a headset or any games that would use one.
Not disagreeing with you McFox. But how do you think we will go about selecting levels and deciding on items. stock, time, all that. I mean they can't possibly have a server for every variation available. Logically it seems that a parental block would be most useful.

Hyrulistic

Smash Cadet
Calgary, AB, eh. That's in Canada btw :P.
I like my idea of the Wii controller holder, in the other thread. Or the use of an Age of Empires II online play setup. Possibly there could be some way of giving quick details about the setup whereve you would choose to join a game, like:

Players: (1-4)
Stock:
Time:
Handicaps:
Item Amount: (very high to none)
Stage selection: (random, rotating, etc.)

Kind of thing. That might work. Probably has been suggested before too :D.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Metroid Prime Hunters has Voice chat between Friends.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There has been nothing mentioned about voice chat online, and to those thinking of the children (!!!) there would be almost definetly a mute button.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Not disagreeing with you McFox. But how do you think we will go about selecting levels and deciding on items. stock, time, all that. I mean they can't possibly have a server for every variation available. Logically it seems that a parental block would be most useful.

To determine the rules of the game, I assume one person would create a game with whatever rules he/she would want, then other people would just join the game. A common setup.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
That's what I think is going to happen.^

If people start swearing at me, I'm just going to start singing really off key and ignore them. May be a problem if my friends are there...

Banks

Smash Hero
a better way to do it imo, is to have chat enabled in a lobby so you can decide on the game type, and then no chat during the match. Even if they did have a chat in the match, there will most likely be a mute button.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...now that I think of it, are people really going to talk while they are playing?
Unless you're one of those extreme multi-tasking types that can cook dinner, read a book and solve the world hunger crisis at the same time, I think the rest of our brains will be set on beating the other guy to a pulp. All you would really have time to say is "****!", or 'other' words.

Sora12225

Smash Cadet
Hmm...now that I think of it, are people really going to talk while they are playing?
Unless you're one of those extreme multi-tasking types that can cook dinner, read a book and solve the world hunger crisis at the same time, I think the rest of our brains will be set on beating the other guy to a pulp. All you would really have time to say is "****!", or 'other' words.
Exactly. Aside from the fact that I don't really like voice chat (I never know I should/shouldn't say...:laugh:) I never really talk when playing matches, sure maybe if friends are over, I may laugh when I KO them in certain way... Or y'know other stuff like that, but I don't have 'conversations', although voice chat would be kinda crucial on teamplay....:ohwell:

I like my idea of the Wii controller holder, in the other thread. Or the use of an Age of Empires II online play setup. Possibly there could be some way of giving quick details about the setup whereve you would choose to join a game, like:

Players: (1-4)
Stock:
Time:
Handicaps:
Item Amount: (very high to none)
Stage selection: (random, rotating, etc.)

Kind of thing. That might work. Probably has been suggested before too :D.
I like this idea,kinda like MPH on Nintendo Wi-Fi.=)

But i really don't care for,or like talking in the middle of a game,what's so hot about it??
All your doing is listening to some idiots voice on XBOX Live,attempting to have a conversation,but not even speaking to them well because you have no idea who you are.
If your about to Snipe your opponent do you really want to hear someone randomly say something while your concentrating?

If anyone keep talking and talking in a game,it's just a distraction from the game,it doesn't enhance any aspect of the game itself....unless you just feel lonely when playing games,and you must have some human communication in gameplay,i don't see the need for voice chat.And at times,there are people who never shut up,even when your not talking to them(Yeah,his gamer tag is SunlessTONY,i think,woudn't stop talking about crap i already know!!)

I want to kick ars while i'm playing someone in brawl,not fight and have a side conversation on how good tacos are.>_<

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Super Smash Bros just wouldn't be the same without trash talking. Come on, do none of you actually talk with your friends when you play? It isn't always just about winning.

Say I have a friend who lives 40 miles away and I want to play some Brawl with him. Am I going to have to buy a headset for my phone to talk with him while we play? Think of the minutes!

A mute button or private chat channels solves everything. Think Ventrillo or Teamspeak or whatever. I can sorta see how kids might not want to hear these quote un-quote bad words, but the reality (to me) is that most of the people who are serious about Smash are old enough to be able to handle it.

Sensai

Smash Master
I don't think that there will be any huge problems concerning talking among players, especially since Nintendo's VERY into censureship.

But the thread starter did mention something that caught my eye: cheating.

That got me to thinking, if Melee had been online and they somehow were able to monitor EVERY game: 'Hm...would they possibly see cheating as something like WDing?'

I don't think so, since it would be widespread. This brought into my mind something else, that may or may not be true: patches.

It's not impossible to think that Nintendo will release patches for it's games online, especially if the game is to be played online, and ESPECIALLY if the game is a fighter. What's to say that (still running with the Melee example) WDing gets fixed?

That's where my hypothetical situations end. Not even on topic anymore...sorry.

[Edit:]

LD50 said:
I can sorta see how kids might not want to hear these quote un-quote bad words, but the reality (to me) is that most of the people who are serious about Smash are old enough to be able to handle it.
The problem with this is that none of us are in charge of the WiFi plans. Nintendo doesn't think as logically as we do (or maybe they think more clearly). They see this as a chance for a young kid to get online, and thus a chance that he could hear a swear word.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That got me to thinking, if Melee had been online and they somehow were able to monitor EVERY game: 'Hm...would they possibly see cheating as something like WDing?'
Nintendo doesn't concider snaking cheating in MK or F-Zero.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. Aside from the fact that I don't really like voice chat (I never know I should/shouldn't say...:laugh:) I never really talk when playing matches, sure maybe if friends are over, I may laugh when I KO them in certain way... Or y'know other stuff like that, but I don't have 'conversations', although voice chat would be kinda crucial on teamplay....:ohwell:

Not if you're Ken and Isai! They read each other's minds! :laugh:

Ami

Smash Ace
I don't think they should add chatting unless if they have a good reason for it ... and I don't really see any reason why they should, really. Enabling chatting and voice options prove to be very useful, but I'd much rather them choose censorship over talking with a friend some miles away while playing Brawl. It isn't worth the swearing, the arguments, and the annoying "Wow, you are such a noob" kind of statements. That's what I think, anyway.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I don't think they should add chatting unless if they have a good reason for it ... and I don't really see any reason why they should, really. Enabling chatting and voice options prove to be very useful, but I'd much rather them choose censorship over talking with a friend some miles away while playing Brawl. It isn't worth the swearing, the arguments, and the annoying "Wow, you are such a noob" kind of statements. That's what I think, anyway.
On the other end of the spectrum, I dont see a reason NOT to. If you don't want to use it, don't use it, but I for one would deffinitly enjoy live chat. So, you're saying that you want no way of communicating with your opponent at all? It's not like you can type to them, for rather obvious reasons...

I, for one, would favor having to put up with "omg, ur such a noob" or "stop WDing you noob, its cheating" every once in a while then to fight ghosts you never speak to all the time. Besides, while trash talk on Halo 2 can get annoying, it allowed for buddies to meet online. Imagine 2 on 2 matches with your buddy you met online, versus 2 other SSBB buddies, how awesome that would be.

A feature is a feature ^_^ if you end up with someone who just keeps insulting you or beeing an immature annoying little kid, get rid of the headset for the match. Simple as that.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I was only refering to them in light of a pun.
They aren't MY gods, I'll tell you that.
Although they are very interesting to watch, and study, if you want to go that far.

Well, I suppose if the parents don't want their children listening to other people bicker, then they shouldn't get them a headset/microphone. Simple as that.
Sure, there will be the unknowing parents that have NO idea how kids usually talk online, but...

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
Personally, I wouldn't want to talk to people online, because I'm guessing I'd want to punch 2/3rds of them in the face. But Sora 1222222222222222222222225 is right, it could be useful during Team Play. But I'd prefer team play with my friend in the same room as I.

Sensai

Smash Master
Zombie Cola said:
Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! I am so ****ing sick of hearing about these guys. They aren't gods. So they are good at a videogame....WOO HOO.
BLASPHEMY!

To Ami (man, I'm liking all yours posts that I'm seeing), I see your point. I don't want to have to put up with jack-holes that are always *****ing about this not being fair, etc etc. But, I also see Pye's argument. The whole 'community', for lack of better word, would suffer from lack of communication.

Teams most CERTAINLY need to be able to talk online...definitely. Perhaps in team battles, they could have it set up so that only one's teammate would be able to hear them.

(Hopefully that all made sense.)

Somewhat off-topic: Has anyone heard anything about the wireless LAN? I know that they used it to show off Battalion Wars 2, but they haven't mentioned anything past that. If they have wireless LAN, that means that the game will not be limited by the number of control jacks...meaning that it is possible to think of there being more then 4 people playing at once, right?

It's wishful thinking, but hell, I can do that. The games not out, and won't be for another year. I say we get in all the speculation that we can.

Ami

Smash Ace
On the other end of the spectrum, I dont see a reason NOT to. If you don't want to use it, don't use it, but I for one would deffinitly enjoy live chat. So, you're saying that you want no way of communicating with your opponent at all? It's not like you can type to them, for rather obvious reasons...

I, for one, would favor having to put up with "omg, ur such a noob" or "stop WDing you noob, its cheating" every once in a while then to fight ghosts you never speak to all the time. Besides, while trash talk on Halo 2 can get annoying, it allowed for buddies to meet online. Imagine 2 on 2 matches with your buddy you met online, versus 2 other SSBB buddies, how awesome that would be.

A feature is a feature ^_^ if you end up with someone who just keeps insulting you or beeing an immature annoying little kid, get rid of the headset for the match. Simple as that.
I know what you mean. Maybe the best way is to have a parental control option? It's the little kids that I worry about. I guess, there could be a password that the parent only knows to enable chatting? Some little kids don't take team battle serious enough to need to talk their partner, so it won't matter for them that much. I guess ... ?

TomH

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: sorry for rambling at the end...feel free to read it, but everything before the last paragraph is the points i was actually trying to make

I think anyone who believes that voice chat is bad because some people are annoying on the internet is truly a "throwing the baby out with the bath water" or whatever the stupid phrase is.

chat. Essential for team play, and honestly, chatting makes games more fun to some degree. Also if you are playing with friends it makes it far more fun.

The essentials of chat:

a) easy ability to block chat with other members of the game. If you are playing a 1 on 1 against someone else and they are annoying you, simply block them. and if someone gets blocked, they can not hear you, you can not hear them.

b) voice chat only on if you have a mic. That way, if a parent doesnt want their child to hear curse words, simply dont let them buy a mic. They can put a warning with the mic along the lines of "online conversations are not monitored, and are not censored in any way. Nintendo takes no responsibilty for anything said online", and make it so that you must be 18 or older to purchase a mic, the same as how mature video games are. If they really want to allow children who arent allowed to hear curse words to speak too, then make another section called "nub kiddie section" and that section gets monitored, and sell a different mic that is "kiddie section only". It would reduce monitoring costs, and allow for people who want to allow more adult language to get what they want.

Censorship in a situation like this is just silly. It forces everyone to be restricted by the rules of the "weakest link" of society. I think that economically, adding chat to the wii would increase its sales. Nintendo has been labled as the "kiddie system" ever since the Xbox came out. Xbox obviously took the ball that was handed to them and ran with it. They come out with the most gore intensive, "adult themed" games possible, and even though they suck, they just give xbox that much more street cred for being the "adult game system." Now as we all know, Nintendo is far from the "kiddy system" but there is no quesiton that nintendo hides from gore and adult themes as much as possible, and it is just giving all the "kiddie system" people that much more ammo. Take Red steel for example. it had blood in the game, and they took ALL blood out of the game so they could keep it from being M. Now i personally dont think that blood enhances gameplay, and if the blood were never in there, that would be no problem for me, but having blood in a game, and then taking it out shows that nintendo has seriously too much concern for not "scarring children" with such blasphemy as blood. Now I personally dont care weather or not nintendo is labelled as a kiddie system except that i want nintendo to do well. a very large percentage of people under the age of 20 buy xbox over nintendo because they want to reinforce their position as a grown human being, and dont want all their friends calling them a little kid. And as long as nintendo worries more about censoring everything to make every game that comes out rated E, than giving a large majority of the gaming market what they want, plenty of people wont even give nintendo a try to see weather the games are as childish as everyone says they are.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros just wouldn't be the same without trash talking. Come on, do none of you actually talk with your friends when you play? It isn't always just about winning.

Say I have a friend who lives 40 miles away and I want to play some Brawl with him. Am I going to have to buy a headset for my phone to talk with him while we play? Think of the minutes!

A mute button or private chat channels solves everything. Think Ventrillo or Teamspeak or whatever. I can sorta see how kids might not want to hear these quote un-quote bad words, but the reality (to me) is that most of the people who are serious about Smash are old enough to be able to handle it.
I talk with my friends while we paly but i've enver trashed talked. actually, I'ev only heard smashers trasht alk each toher once. beleicve me, smash is just fine with out trash talk.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
I know what you mean. Maybe the best way is to have a parental control option? It's the little kids that I worry about. I guess, there could be a password that the parent only knows to enable chatting? Some little kids don't take team battle serious enough to need to talk their partner, so it won't matter for them that much. I guess ... ?

A parental password, I think, would be a wonderfully ideal way to restrict those that are too young to be exposed to this kind of grammerical corruption. ( Is grammerical a word? No? Well it is now. :) )

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
And about the trash talking thing...
Where there is an online game, there will be immature players.
Where there are immature players, there will be trash talking.
It is inevitable.

Blazer

Smash Ace
I like this idea,kinda like MPH on Nintendo Wi-Fi.=)

But i really don't care for,or like talking in the middle of a game,what's so hot about it??
All your doing is listening to some idiots voice on XBOX Live,attempting to have a conversation,but not even speaking to them well because you have no idea who you are.
If your about to Snipe your opponent do you really want to hear someone randomly say something while your concentrating?

If anyone keep talking and talking in a game,it's just a distraction from the game,it doesn't enhance any aspect of the game itself....unless you just feel lonely when playing games,and you must have some human communication in gameplay,i don't see the need for voice chat.And at times,there are people who never shut up,even when your not talking to them(Yeah,his gamer tag is SunlessTONY,i think,woudn't stop talking about crap i already know!!)

I want to kick ars while i'm playing someone in brawl,not fight and have a side conversation on how good tacos are.>_<
What's wrong with Tacos? I happen to like tacos.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Tacos rule.

And, to me, to fact that you can speak with people miles away while you beat them up is cool! If you get some chump that keeps pissing you off, just ignore them. Don't be an arse yourself, and chances are, they won't be an arse right back. Not saying you are one, I'm just saying that in general. :)

Sensai

Smash Master
Good points TomH, I read the whole thing through. Nintendo does have some rep for being the 'kiddie system', but I think they've realized that it's caused them some sales. I tihnk they'll fix it up.

I believe the word is grammatical...but I like your word better.

And I'm not keen on the 'parental code' idea. I dunno why, but I'm just not. Then again, I'm not much for censureship. That's why I'm not a huge fan of America right now. :-D

I think the best course of action would be to put chat in Brawl and make it so that you can only chat/hear chat if you have a headset. Have some type of disclaimer on there, but also include options to mute and ignore.

Solves all problems.

Scuba Man Sam

Smash Cadet
scuba poop #2

I can handle anything with no complaints. Unless someone says the word "NOOB" every ten seconds. I thought more poeple were laid back.:ohwell:

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
I Don't really have a problem with voice chat, but Couldn't it potentially cause lag? Even 1-5 frames of lag could be devestating in a game like Smash.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Good points TomH, I read the whole thing through. Nintendo does have some rep for being the 'kiddie system', but I think they've realized that it's caused them some sales. I tihnk they'll fix it up.

I believe the word is grammatical...but I like your word better.

And I'm not keen on the 'parental code' idea. I dunno why, but I'm just not. Then again, I'm not much for censureship. That's why I'm not a huge fan of America right now. :-D

I think the best course of action would be to put chat in Brawl and make it so that you can only chat/hear chat if you have a headset. Have some type of disclaimer on there, but also include options to mute and ignore.

Solves all problems.

Grammatical. Gotcha.

Top Bottom