• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Behavior

Fimbulvetr

Smash Rookie
First of all, your subject and verb disagree. You mean "There ARE no input devices...". Secondly, there are many input devices in the Wiimote: The accellerometers, the pointer (which is a bluetooth transmitter at the front of the Wiimote), and all the buttons are input devices.

... But it has no mic.
Actually the Bluetooth thingy is in the middle somewhere. The transmitter at the top is actually a receiver, which is where signals from the sensor bar go, telling the Wiimote where it is. The sensor bar doesn't even need to be used for games that just use the accelerometer (most racing games). It's really only used for stuff that requires aiming, like FPS games. Sorry, I jsut had to point that out. IGN had an article where they used candles as a makeshift sensor bar because candles emit infrared light.

On the actual topic, I say chatting only with friends. This means you aren't going to get all the morons who never shut up, unless yu're stupid enough to make them a friend. Even then it should have an option to be turned off.

HyruleBird

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, yeah, that's what I would be afraid of...
Everyone from CS and Halo would start playing SSBB.
Not that they would, because they wouldn't, but yeah...
If noobs from cs and halo2 get too SSBB it will just make ALOT more noobs to pwn on the WifI...

imagine after they will get pwn 3 time by a shine spike THEY will surely go back to their noobs game :)

Ps: i like Cs and halo 2 but only for competition

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, I play Halo and CS almost as much as I play SSB, so I know how many arse's are on all the time.
I just hope they stay in their places...

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
well cussing isn't the only thing, hacking is so flipping anoying.

Stupid ******* legendary hunters from bounty hunter:mad:

DarkerCompanion

Smash Cadet
I'm so bothered by rude online behavior, that it is very possible I will never even go online with Smash Bros. Brawl. I'd rather not have the experience ruined for me.

zeostar

Smash Cadet
Voice chat in-game could cause an amount of lag that can make the game almost unplayable. Has anybody played a fighter online on their computer? The frame rates really go down if you or whoever playing have a crappy connection, and adding this workload to a game with 4 characters moving around, among all the other things happening, could definitely lead to a lag problem, even you aren't using voice chat and other people are.

A mute button on a headset just blocks the speaker from emitting the voice data, not receiving it. But I'm sure Nintendo is going to release a system update that would let parents control voice chat, or any other chat for that matter, or Brawl will have parental controls about chatting. Nintendo is pretty quick about Wii system updates so far. So, the possibility of a kid hearing some swear is pretty minimal, and if they do, well, it’s not Nintendo’s fault for stopping it if parents didn’t take the time to set up the parental controls.

Even if Nintendo doesn't allow voice chat, or voice chat makes the game lag to a point of unplayablility, there is a simple solution to allow voice chat while you play: using Ventrillo or TeamSpeak, or even Skype or some other VoIP program. Your computer would be taking care of the voice chat workload, allowing your Wii to run Brawl a bit faster. Sure, it's a few more steps, and requires a computer to be around, but if you're using wireless, chances are you have your computer nearby your Wii. Even more so if you’re using an Ethernet cable and not running a 500-ft cable.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is that people will find a way to add voice chat to Brawl, even if it doesn’t have it, or add a better voice chat to it if Brawl’s voice chat is horrible.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Voice chat in-game could cause an amount of lag that can make the game almost unplayable. Has anybody played a fighter online on their computer? The frame rates really go down if you or whoever playing have a crappy connection, and adding this workload to a game with 4 characters moving around, among all the other things happening, could definitely lead to a lag problem, even you aren't using voice chat and other people are.

A mute button on a headset just blocks the speaker from emitting the voice data, not receiving it. But I'm sure Nintendo is going to release a system update that would let parents control voice chat, or any other chat for that matter, or Brawl will have parental controls about chatting. Nintendo is pretty quick about Wii system updates so far. So, the possibility of a kid hearing some swear is pretty minimal, and if they do, well, it’s not Nintendo’s fault for stopping it if parents didn’t take the time to set up the parental controls.

Even if Nintendo doesn't allow voice chat, or voice chat makes the game lag to a point of unplayablility, there is a simple solution to allow voice chat while you play: using Ventrillo or TeamSpeak, or even Skype or some other VoIP program. Your computer would be taking care of the voice chat workload, allowing your Wii to run Brawl a bit faster. Sure, it's a few more steps, and requires a computer to be around, but if you're using wireless, chances are you have your computer nearby your Wii. Even more so if you’re using an Ethernet cable and not running a 500-ft cable.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is that people will find a way to add voice chat to Brawl, even if it doesn’t have it, or add a better voice chat to it if Brawl’s voice chat is horrible.

I like the idea of ventrillo/teamspeak. I honestly hadn't even considered using it, partly due to playing on XBOX Live so much. It's just become the standard for me to log on and put on my headset. Only problem with using chat software over your PC is that you would probably only be able to talk to your friends, as you couldn't contact public players to set up a chat.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Voice chat doesn't lag at all...at least not for me.

I think just a simple voice chat would suffice.
Just like Ventrillo.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
My opinion, release headsets and everything. If you aren't old enough to handle the talking part of video games then don't use a headset. Nintendo could install something like a V-chip that blocks out certain games/options to make the game safe for all the 6 year olds, but you didn't HAVE to use the V-chip so people that are old enough to handle the real world can still use it.

Just have the headset only send words, so you don't get in the game noise. Or a push to speak button.

What is going to happen imo is that people are just going to make a Ventrillo server and just talk like that.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Well, I like the idea of a voice chat, but if it would cause any lag, well, I think that the gameplay is a lot more important, even though I like to play games that require teamwork, not at the cost of a horrible frame drop

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
How many people are gonna play with random people most of the time In the beguining you probaly will but after you find one group of friends that is on when you are you will probally play with them most of the time

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Well you and your friends could host a private server so other potty mouted players cannot join. And if im not mistakened, dont you get 1 friends code for everything? And i dont like the idea on how you get a friends code for your wii, you have to phsyically go online on forums and ask people for their friends code. i want it to be like xbox live where you can do matchmaking and meet other people online. it seems like such a hassel to me. just my opinion.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Welll it's probable you could do something like that. Metroid hunters let you add people you played online.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Welll it's probable you could do something like that. Metroid hunters let you add people you played online.
Yeah but you need to phsyically get their friends code first. People would definetely create forums where you can post your friends code so you can add them. I still like xbox lives matchmaking feature. And mph's add people you play online would save me time from entering the long friends code. :)

Chipman

Smash Cadet
Yeah but you need to phsyically get their friends code first. People would definetely create forums where you can post your friends code so you can add them. I still like xbox lives matchmaking feature. And mph's add people you play online would save me time from entering the long friends code. :)
Not in the game I played. In MY game you press a button saying "Add Rival" after the match and Ta Da! He was added to your friends list.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately you couldn't do voice chat with rivals (I think), but if Nintendo let you add rivals in one game, they'll probably improve on it on the wii.

cb_marth

Smash Ace
What would it matter. You are always going to get the immature sore loser that goes on like a idiot playing online. Just diconnect with them or turn off the chat. Simple not all people are like that luckly but you do get the 10% of them that just do it all the time. It's the world can't be all logical people now can it.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Just to remind you all, Mic_128 does not reside in the wiimote....

Okay, I'm two pages late and the joke was totally lame, but somebody had to notice that pun....

Razed

Smash Ace
Hmm...now that I think of it, are people really going to talk while they are playing?
Unless you're one of those extreme multi-tasking types that can cook dinner, read a book and solve the world hunger crisis at the same time, I think the rest of our brains will be set on beating the other guy to a pulp. All you would really have time to say is "****!", or 'other' words.
Good point, but ther will be alot of conversation if there are hedsets, no doubt about that. I play D2 online and there is a crapload of swearing and racism and every other thing like that. there will also be the people who, for some reason, enjoy tormenting those who just want to have fun.

I really can't think of a way around this, because half the fun of online play is talking with friends and making new ones. But I have a good idea:

We could use mics, and what we say would be typed into the chatlog, and all swearing and such would be "**" out. That could work. It's not like it's advanced technology or anything, I've used a mic on word around 5 years ago.

Thoughts?

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Agreed.
If only there was some perfect way to separate the scum from the clean...
Oh well, guess we'll have to wait another 50 years for that to be able to happen.

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, yeah. Many people will start fights because of stupid things. For example, if melee could be played online there'd be many fights between us, the ones who use wavedashing and etc..., and the one's who think wavedasing is just a cheap glitch and that it's cheating.

ehjay111

Smash Apprentice
I hope you guys aren't look too forward to brawl online. I hate to be a nay sayer but it just wont work. I know all this has been said before but ill say it anyway. 1) LAG. we all know it will be there its not gonna work out. Might as well just play it on a hd tv. It would still be laggy if the online was using a direct connection. But its wifi. For me, ive got a wireless conection between my wii and downstairs computer. This then has to go to my upstairs computer. Then out to the hosts computer then wii. But im sure we can keep lag to a minimum? Now with all this thers also new problems. Reliability. I garentee there will be disconnects like mad.
2) friend codes. We all know nintendo is living in the 90's with their crappy online services. I know nothing has been announcned about friend codes but lets be honest we all know it will happen. Maybe if were lucky well get customized options. So you can do a random serach and it will match you up agaisnt people with the same options. Aka no items, no handicap, and a choice of like 5 levels.

What i really want tho is those problems to be nonexistant. A great online system just like blizzard sets up. That includes everything they have. STAT TRACKING! Very detailed stat tracking. Each race(character), weather it was 1v1 2v2. ffa. Your profile gained levels depending on exp which was win to loss ratio dependant. And Lobbbbys! where you could go and talk smack to noobs then challenge them to a match without typing in some gay code. You click on them and challange. Or something along those lines. Tournaments set up by blizzard(nintendo). If i tossed in brawl and it was just like that. I would have to get some napkins and clean myself up.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
pokemon diamond/pearl have voice chats and that is for kids i mean POKEMON. brawl however is more teeny so ...... anything could happen

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Voice talking should be allowed.
But it should be designed like this:
-It starts off, off meaning you can't recieve or give.
-In the Options menu, you could either a) recieve, but not give or b) recieve and give.

I vote for voice chatting should not be allowed though.
Ever heard of the idiotic child that gets his family murdered?
There are going to be these wierdo people that ask the strangest questions, like where do you live, what's your phone number, age, date of birth... and it wouldn't be a very safe environment. Add on with cursing, swearing, cussing, trash-talk, and all that makes it even more uncomfortable. If all the children/young teens were removed from the SSBB community, 40-60% of the players would be gone...
The only issues are little kids giving away personal information and emotional people getting hurt. That's really it.

No voice chatting. Please.
And if Ninendo does add it... look above and use those Option features...

Stryks

Smash Hero
U will only be able to chat with the guys u have added to ur wii, so if they wont shut up u can simply erase them, or mute them, or simply dont chat with them... *pretty sure this has been mention many times*...

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Sure Blizzard is great, but people get disconnected frequently, especially in WOW.
Plus, Nintendo's got a lot of other things to worry about as well.
Blizzard seems to be on WOW and nothing else, trying to improve what they have already lazily created.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
i think it would be horrible without voice chat. when playing with friends or even people i just met were always exchanging "nice combo" and things of that nature. its alot more fun when you can talk to the person your playing and if they start a swearing contest just press a mute button.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
To evade problems, the online capability of SSBB should be for playing, change trophies (if any), etc. not for talking/chatting. If you have anything to say, Try the smash language! ;)
Ex: "I win"=Taunt
"You are a loser"=Taunt,Taunt,Taunt,Taunt,Taunt :chuckle:

Top Bottom