• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Behavior

Blazer

Smash Ace
I'd rather have lag that will always be there anyway than not be able to talk to people. BTW I just ate tacos. Lol.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Stop it! You're making me hungry!
If i get more then a tiny bit of lag while I'm chatting, I'm turning it off.

NoirLink

Smash Rookie
I thought about this before. I had an aggrivating time while playing Ultimate Dead or Alive, there's always someone that's gonna want to talk while team games are played and they've been defeated or afterwards and it's almost always some loose lipped kid wanting to spout off about how good he is and the only reason he lost is cause his opponent sucked so bad and then comes the sewage. "****, ****, ******* mother, kirby? ******** wonder!!"

As an adult I'm turned off to the experience by this level of maturity, but children aren't so much and most would sit there and listen, then mimic. I think voice-chat in the game should be ruled out, but then again, I've always been a bit of a loner in online gaming, *shrugs*

Only time will tell! ''D

NL

JPW

Smash Ace
i'm not a big fan of having a chat during a time in Combat. If you playing a game, any game wqhether it be video, card or board the basic rule is you should never really chat.
One liners I have nothing against they are fun. But a chatting is distracting, and can really ruin the game and the point.

Whenever i'm playing Poker with my mates, and I have learnt this lesson. You do not talk during a round. Even if you have folded. Cause if you let it slip that you had one of the cards or the winning card then you have made it easier on the rest.

That is the same in video games, if you talk whilst in play, that could give us an advantage, it could let us know what type of guy you are, and we can use that to our advantage. I could destract you, and whilst doing that I could possibly or someone else could take you out.

If you need to talk or chat I got nothing against it, but don't do it whilst in the middle of something, be in the moment. Focus on what's in front and not what is going on around you. After all isn't that why you're playing the game.
Most of the time I play games to escape reality and relax and forget everything. Last thing I want t do whilst playing is chat, I like to be in control. And I hope there are more Ninty people like that.

Sensai

Smash Master
There's going to be lag, regardless. It's t3h internets. There's always lag on the internets.

Voice chat MAY cause a bit more lag, but really...I doubt that the online Brawl will be crazy technical. I assume people will still do tourney's in person, not over the internets. There's nothing like trash-talking in person. There's nothing like playing someone in person.

Those're just the facts.

[Edit:]

JPW...don't say Ninty. It makes ya look bad. :-/

JPW

Smash Ace
[Edit:]

JPW...don't say Ninty. It makes ya look bad. :-/
I'm sorry I never realised how that made me look bad.

I call them Ninty for the sake they need a nickname. And it's just easier.
But maybe Ninty has a different meaning to the way I say it, and the way you think I meant.

It's just that the full name Nintendo always seems to lag, when you're talking about video games to your mates.

"You see Nintendo did this, and Nintendo believed in motion sensoring. And it doesn't matter if it hits off or not. I support Nintendo, and there are other people out there that will support Nintendo. And surely if we can forgive Virtual Boy we can forgive anything Nintendo related."

Of course I didn't have to use Nintendo that many times in there. But sometimes that how I go to stress a point. And talking is very different to writing sometimes. With Writing you have all the time in the world to think about what you're saying or going to say.
Whereas talking, you only have an inch of a second of what goes through your thought process and comes out your mouth. And usually most of the time when you say something you act on instinct.

But maybe you're right. Maybe that's why I don't have many friends here.

Sensai

Smash Master
It was a joke. I was just making a joke, don't worry about it.

It's just like 'Wiimote' and 'gaymer'. I dunno...it's just...odd. Don't get be wrong, I use Wiimote. They're just all odd slang.

I was just joking. Seriously mate, just jokes. Don't worry about it, and if you do continue to worry about it, sorry.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
The amount of Lag from 2-4 players talking would be indistinct to say the least. Voice becomes a major problem when you are in a room with 10, 12, 16+ players and they are all talking about "how their teacher gives too much homework" or "how their hungry and wish their moms would make them some tacos." Worse comes to worse, mute them, or disable voice. Also, I'm sure every room will have the omniscient little symbol next to each room. You know this one.....

[]<-----Good server, come on in.

[]<------Eh, it's ok, could go either way.

[]<---------STAY AWAY, this is Billy Bumpkin running on Stolen Dial-Up.....EVIL!!!

ggPeteQ

Smash Journeyman
They better have chat!!
Way to add to the discussion there 6th Sense. Really Deep.

Anyways, the Smash community has always been a...unique one. I'm fine with cursing and trash talking between friends, but common sense (which everyone seems to lose online) says that you should treat people you don't know the way you want to be treated.

Personally, as long as there's an option where you can choose to "Never see this player again" (Like they have on 360 live), then I'll be fine. We could even create a blacklist here on Smashboards to build up a list of all the A-holes and cheaters.

I really am looking forward to playing with certain people who've been helping me out a lot since I've started smashing (Simna Ibn Sind, Umbreon Mow) but I'm imagining it's going to be like Halo 2, where the great gamers are out there, but they get so many matches that they don't play with you. Although in Halo 2, there's no real forum where you can speak with high level players like we do here. I've never once talked with the Ogres or Walshy, but I've responded to ChuDat's videos and Simna's given me tons of feedback that've brought my Ness game up.

HyruleBird

Smash Apprentice

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Well if your wiimote isnt plugged in you cant talk but maybe you might be able to switch controllers during play.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Uhh no.Ever heard of putting down the controller and unplujgging it and puting in the wiimote?But then again,this is best suited for chatting before and after a match.Because since they didn't do chatting during a match in MPH,it might be te same here.

Sensai

Smash Master
I hate to point this out (you guys are being so creative!) but the Wii controller doesn't have a microphone in it. It has a SPEAKER. Ya know, for outgoing sound.

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
They better have chat!!
I serouisly doubt nintendo will because they've seen and heard the problems in online while chatting. So most likely they will only let u chat if u have their friend code =/

And how sensai pointed out its a speaker not a mic. Its like taking in ur computer's speakers, u have to buy the mic separate for it.

HyruleBird

Smash Apprentice
I serouisly doubt nintendo will because they've seen and heard the problems in online while chatting. So most likely they will only let u chat if u have their friend code =/

And how sensai pointed out its a speaker not a mic. Its like taking in ur computer's speakers, u have to buy the mic separate for it.
outbound and inbound speaker do exist.. but anyway i think we are making ourselfs ideas here:psycho:

Yota

Smash Apprentice
Uhh no.Ever heard of putting down the controller and unplujgging it and puting in the wiimote?
... you DO know that the Wii-Remote is wireless, right? Unless there are hardware limitations, I don't see why the game wouldn't be able to support input from four GCN controllers + four Wii-motes at the same time. It also may be possible to use the speaker as a microphone, though it would be very weak.

One simple solution I can come up with (if the speech-to-text dictation doesn't work out) would be to completely disable voice chat (in and out) if there is no headset connected. If there IS one connected, it could show an icon next to the player in the game room letting everyone know that they can hear and talk. If parents don't want their children using the voice options, just keep the headset away from them.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
The only tim I'll say something during a match against a random guy is me laughing and making comments on a funny event. Or going **** it! I can't really get a conversation going and play a game at the same time.

If there's a mute button where the in game music/sound still goes on, I don't care. But if there isn't, no Voice Chat please. From my experience, 95% of the online community suck and I don't want to chat with them by typing.. Definately not by talking.

FlamingMetroidzd

Smash Rookie
Voice chat would be awful. And sometimes it's better to have sound to hear what's going on. I see typing useful for those to sit in chat that have already died. It can get a little boring sitting and watching others.

Either way, there's really no true solution against these people that can't hold their mouths at the right time. I expect (or hope) the ability to kick those that deserve it.

HyruleBird

Smash Apprentice
its would be cool to have a interface before choosing our chars where we could see other people MII and be able to Chat / voice chat (to choose game setting / rule) then the character screen as we know it .. and then a stage selection vote for the map

Sensai

Smash Master
People just don't like to hear that, Mic. With the risk of sounding INCREDIBLY cliche (purposefully), 'they can't handle the truth!'

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
It isn't. It is a Speaker, and a speaker ONLY. No voice input. None. Nada
The wii-mote acts as a speaker and a Microphone so it would be possible to use with brawl, but highly unlikely that anyone would want to use the wii-mote to play brawl.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
First of all, your subject and verb disagree. You mean "There ARE no input devices...". Secondly, there are many input devices in the Wiimote: The accellerometers, the pointer (which is a bluetooth transmitter at the front of the Wiimote), and all the buttons are input devices.

... But it has no mic.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Anyone remembers... this? :p

Can't really type anything in the middle of a duel =0. As long as you can chat or communicate by any other means, I couldn't careless about voice chat. And it would be a lot easier for the devs to come up with a gunbound-like interface and just snap a word filter in there.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, yeah, that's what I would be afraid of...
Everyone from CS and Halo would start playing SSBB.
Not that they would, because they wouldn't, but yeah...

Top Bottom