• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you want to see removed from gaming

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Bad DLC/Add-Ons - Just look no further than The Sims. It was once a great series, but you now have to have a TON of money and incredible patience to be able to own the game as it should be. EA is still holding back Pets and Seasons as add-on features. And guess what? Now toddlers are an add-on feature, too! Before you know it, aging will be an add-on feature altogether. I'm calling it right now.

Remastered Ports being masqueraded and priced as full-blown remakes/new games.

Annoying Gimmicks. Motion control was, for the most part, one of these altogether. And then there are the ones that end up costing you extra money for such little function, like Amiibos and Amiibo cards. Don't get me wrong, the Amiibos as figurines might be neat (but they're really poor quality, just saying), but as for what they add to games... Psh. The Amiibo cards are even worse. What is this, e-Reader all over again? Happy Home Designer was a great game, I would have liked to have been able to build houses for my favorite non-villager AC characters without spending a fortune.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I realize this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think I can live without achievements, or at least the way the majority of them work. They just seem like they're tacked on and not actually part of the game itself. I mean, I get that they're a good idea for extending replay value by presenting you with "challenges" and whatnot, but I just don't seem to get much satisfaction when a notification says I got an achievement or some random score that I forgot is even there goes up. Outside of bragging rights, I just don't see the point, and I feel like in some cases, it could kill the experience a game can offer. I'd rather there be in-game achievements that give me an in-game reward that I can actually use. For example, Xenoblade's achievements give you Exp. bonuses. Bayonetta gives you Umbran Tears of Blood. Heck, even Smash's challenges reward you with trophies/equipment/stages. Personally, I think those are a way better reason to take on any challenging/annoying tasks that developers decide to put in.

While I'm at it, I don't think there should be games that are essentially interactive movies or games that are so cutscene/story heavy that it sacrifices all the other important aspects that make a game a game. I'm not saying that stories in games are bad. I've played plenty of amazing games with awesome storylines. Just don't make it the main focus of the game to the point where the gameplay becomes extremely generic or practically non-existent. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd watch a movie.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Picking the resolution and the number of enemies on the screen over the frame rate, there is no reason that the game frame rate shouldn't go to **** just because they want to show how much they want to push the system to its limits.

CGI trailers is another thing I want to go away, I hate getting hype for a game and then find out that it look nothing like they showed me.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Picking the resolution and the number of enemies on the screen over the frame rate, there is no reason that the game frame rate shouldn't go to **** just because they want to show how much they want to push the system to its limits.

CGI trailers is another thing I want to go away, I hate getting hype for a game and then find out that it look nothing like they showed me.
Yes, that was definitely a pet peeve of mine. The first HD gen was so full of that. Makes a lot of games not age as well, but I guess that was a lot of devs first experience with HD.

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
1. QTE during a cutscene.
I legit never understand why developers think this was a good idea. Sometimes, I like putting the controller down and grab my drink, food, phone or whatever and watch the cutscene and then suddenly PRESS A TO NOT DIE and I'm like "oh ****" and scramble to grab my controller but most of the time, it be too late and I get a game over. It doesn't engage me into the game, it's just annoying and unnecessary. I'm going to be too busy looking out for the next button prompt then actually listening what going on in the cutscene.

2. Unwinnable Boss Battles
I'm okay with boss battles that are unwinnable at first, but then you get like a power up that help you win the fight but if it downright unwinnable, especially the one where it quicker to lose, then I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Nikoback

Smash Rookie
NNID
MeltingComet
The one thing I want removed is excuses. "Oh, we can't add this in a game because of this!" "Oh, we won't strive for 60fps because 30fps gives it a cinematic feel!" "We think our implementation of microtransactions are absolutely perfect and they should never go away!"

I've never seen an industry as dishonest as this. Be upfront with your players on why you can't do something. Are you lazy? Do you just not want to do it? Don't come up with bull**** excuses, be honest with the people who are considering putting $60 in your game.

A real example of this right now is Payday 2, and it's community is absolute up-at-arms towards the developer Overkill for adding microtransactions. Their response? It's here to stay, and we'll work with the community to make changes. This is after their massively disappointing Crimefest event, where they said absolutely nothing for 10 whole days when the fiasco happened and are responding in more ways then one that are severely disappointing.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
It's great to try to fix the stupid microtransactions, but not when the pure concept of them being in Payday goes against the morals of Overkill. Also doesn't help that they're lowkey P2W elements (however subtle they may be).

Microtransactions in general should go away from games that you paid for.

Also, can Overkill please fix Payday before they start nickel-and-diming consumers? The game doesn't run properly at all on my laptop (which is admittedly, pretty low tech, but still). It shouldn't run at 10 fps on lowest settings on a computer that was made within the last 3 years when it looks as not great as it does at that point.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
It's great to try to fix the stupid microtransactions, but not when the pure concept of them being in Payday goes against the morals of Overkill. Also doesn't help that they're lowkey P2W elements (however subtle they may be).

Microtransactions in general should go away from games that you paid for.

Also, can Overkill please fix Payday before they start nickel-and-diming consumers? The game doesn't run properly at all on my laptop (which is admittedly, pretty low tech, but still). It shouldn't run at 10 fps on lowest settings on a computer that was made within the last 3 years when it looks as not great as it does at that point.
Yea, overkill messed up big time on the microtransactions deal. To make things worse, they said in their AMA yesterday that they aren't going to be taking the stats away from skins. Way to screw over your community. (Even though I'll still be playing, because as much as I'm pissed off at overkill I can manage without +4 stability or something like that.)

There's only one example where microtransactions work in a paid game, and that's purely cosmetic. CS:GO does this well. If overkill truly wanted to emulate this model, they'd take the stats away.

To be fair on the game not running well, it's because the game is made in Lua, which is very CPU-heavy. Most low-end laptops made recently are still cheaping out a bit, and are still really close to the minimum required specs. (2 ghz dual-core processor, 2gb ram, 256mb vram)

Keo-bas

Smash Rookie
locked difficulties setting. This should only be thing were level static is a thing but in alot of other non statistic game they want you to beat the game first to unlock difficulties. WTF?

Some game only become fun when you get challenged.
this is noticeable problem in arcade driven games.

In game like Code of Princess, Magical battle festival, you wont feel enage in these reptitive stuff unless your being challenged.

DW has them problem commonly because people call it repetitive. But that because the situation isn't dire, it doesn't feel fulling when you win because the opponent aren't putting up much of fight.
Many game make you do repetitive stuff and be fun, most shootem up is the same thing over and over but because the sub genre. Bullet hell game making difficulty a Priority these game appear fun.

Another thing I dislike are core mechanics being locked during campaign or competitive modes unless you full filled its condition/ quote. I;m not saying don't give me extension of my tool but don't lock them up artificially because of story element or because you don't want me to use it till later on in the game.

Tie it to resource or condition i can actively achieve in the game. Like In DW6 I like how I gain combo extension if I was performing well and not behind unlocking level grind. I prefer my game to be more arcade driven where My base form is enough to beat the game but I have extension tool set to either compliment a game play style or levitate challenged that is difficult but impossible.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Gyro controls basically and that's about it. I'm more of an old school gamer myself.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Really? Because I love gyro. I'd bet money that gyro is going to be standard in all controllers within ten years... It's just that much better then dual analog.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Yes, really. Sure there are people who likes them but I ain't one of them. Dual analog gaming will always be the best in my opinion.

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
Microtransactions definitely need to go away, no matter if it's mobile, console, handheld, or PC.

One thing I want gone is exclusive pre-order bonuses. What's the point of this when it'll most likely be DLC later on in time?

Goont

Smash Rookie
NNID
PrankingMaster
3DS FC
3024-5691-5601
Switch FC
SW-1032-2125-3356
Game that are entirely new but have a plot that's a re-telling/remake. Just re-release the older game in HD or update it with better graphics. If you're going to bother with a entirely new game, I'd love a new plot and story. This ended up really bothering me with Star Fox Zero. It had everything new except a new script.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
SF0 was a reboot... So they could write out everything after 64.

As a rail-shooter I don't mind them retelling largely the same story. If this was some RPG with ten hours of cutscenes sure, but this is fine considering it did more then most Zeldas do

(Seriously, Zelda almost always starts out with some guy doing average guy things getting swept-up in an adventure, who goes around and grabs some magical dealy-bobs, gets the Master Sword, goes through more dungeons, stabs some pig man in the face and saves Zelda. Swap out "doing average things" for "woke up in some chamber" and that's BotW.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Games where you cannot go anywhere without microtransactions.

This is imo the biggest reason by mobile gaming is never taken seriously, because more companies are busy with cash grabs than a truly good games that can make use of the different interface.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Bad DLC. A good example of DLC is Skyrim, where they add content to the game, not like sims where you buy the DLC for the complete game.

Japanese animation is popular, the character designs and cliche (and bad) character development are starting to plague my games.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Games where you cannot go anywhere without microtransactions.

This is imo the biggest reason by mobile gaming is never taken seriously, because more companies are busy with cash grabs than a truly good games that can make use of the different interface.
And on this note, games that thrive on pay to win.

You know, the kinds of games that give a hard as nails difficulty that in many cases can be outright impossible unless you pay to make it easier, or give microtransactions such an unbalanced advantage it's the only way to beat it is to join them.

If that's not absolute bull I don't know what is.

Colourless Light

Delusions of Merit
The over extreme fandom that comes with a game franchise/or and company.
It has a "certain" level to it and just about everyone crosses the line with it.

Where has the dignity gone?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The Street Fighter series' update methods. They release a new full-priced game every single time that they want to add new characters, and the first couple of games in each title barely pass as a complete game. SF5 at launch had a whopping 16 characters and pretty much no single player content. Also, I'd like to see game companies paying for adspace on review sites for good reviews stop completely. As an example of this, IGN reviewed the incomplete mess of SF5 at launch (with online problems, no single player campaign, and 16 characters) and gave it an 8, whereas SNK doesn't have as much money to spare so they gave KOF 13 a 7 for having "cheap boss fights" (Street Fighter has a lot of those, except for 5 because it had no bosses to fight), a story that is "tough to follow" (which it isn't if you've played older KOFs or read about the characters, and is miles better than no story), and "cheesy music" (which is a flat our lie, if anyone has ever heard any KOF soundtrack). Also the user reviews gave SF5 a 7.5 and KOF an 8.2, so even taking the SF purists into consideration, KOF comes out on top with the general gaming population's opinion.

That was longer than I expected lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
The Street Fighter series' update methods. They release a new full-priced game every single time that they want to add new characters, and the first couple of games in each title barely pass as a complete game. SF5 at launch had a whopping 16 characters and pretty much no single player content.
I'm still a bit mad that I paid 60 bucks for early access.

I keep on hearing a about how Capcom is "looking into" adding an arcade mode. What the hell is there to look into? It's ****ing arcade mode, you have an RNG pick seven characters for the player to fight and them have them fight Necalli at the end. The game already has difficulty settings for AI thanks to survival mode. This isn't ****ing rocket science.

EDIT: Wow, I'm actually a lot saltier about this than I thought.

Last edited:

Goombario64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goombarioguy
Pointless characters like Pink Gold Peach in Mario Kart 8. We could have had Dry Bones, King Boo, or Petey Piranha back, and they chose her?! The Koopalings don't help things, either. I'm all for the Koopalings getting in due to their deep history with the Mario franchise, but must they completely forget about putting Bowser Jr. in? They could have at least replaced Metal Mario with Shadow Mario, but no. All Jr. got was a cameo in Baby Park.
No offense to waifu mains, but I'm also annoyed at SSB4's Lucina for the same reason.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
The over extreme fandom that comes with a game franchise/or and company.
It has a "certain" level to it and just about everyone crosses the line with it.

Where has the dignity gone?
This is what makes Undertale have such a bad face to it. Undertale is an impeccably well-designed and written game, but it's also impeccable at attracting excessive and perverted fans.

Also, for my own "thing I'd like removed", I'd say that procedural generation shouldn't be used as a replacement for actually writing a game. Case in point: We Happy Few.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pointless characters like Pink Gold Peach in Mario Kart 8. We could have had Dry Bones, King Boo, or Petey Piranha back, and they chose her?! The Koopalings don't help things, either. I'm all for the Koopalings getting in due to their deep history with the Mario franchise, but must they completely forget about putting Bowser Jr. in? They could have at least replaced Metal Mario with Shadow Mario, but no. All Jr. got was a cameo in Baby Park.
No offense to waifu mains, but I'm also annoyed at SSB4's Lucina for the same reason.
Metal Mario, as something remotely separate from Mario, has existed since the N64 with the original SSB and Mario Golf. His inclusion I really don't mind and he's pretty popular too so I don't see why he's a bad choice. PGP doesn't make any sense though and hasn't been used very much online...

Lucina, I think you should know the story by now. There wasn't enough time to do anything besides make two "complete" clones and Dark Pit.

Also, for my own "thing I'd like removed", I'd say that procedural generation shouldn't be used as a replacement for actually writing a game. Case in point: We Happy Few.
There's nothing wrong with randomly made worlds... Unless you're talking about removing games that use it poorly, then yeah, those can go.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Something that I'm not fond of in video games is regenerating health. To me, regenerating health, unless it's used from a perk or power up, shouldn't be a default way of healing. It's not an awful game design choice, but I feel that it limits the game. An example I like to bring where regenerating health hurt a game for is The Amazing Spider-Man. I have a lot of problems with this game, but the regenerating health is one of my biggest complaints. The game has a feature to where if you start dying, you can pull yourself out of the fight to heal yourself until you're at full health again. It doesn't help that you die so quickly in that game, making you feel that you have to pull yourself out of the fight the majority of the time. It just takes me out of the game because I did this so often. Call it bad playing if you want, but the fact that this mechanic was even there just irked me. One reason why I liked the more flawed and admittedly crappy second more is because the game gave you the option of healing, allowing myself to have more fun with the game.

In the end, I don't like regenerating health. It's not bad if it's a power up, perk, upgrade, or whatever, but I find it to be a limiting gameplay mechanic that can hurt games for me in the long run.

finalark

SNORLAX
In the end, I don't like regenerating health. It's not bad if it's a power up, perk, upgrade, or whatever, but I find it to be a limiting gameplay mechanic that can hurt games for me in the long run.
It's actually the exact opposite. The reason why regenerating health became a thing is because most devs felt like traditional health systems were limited. Thank about it like this: In games without regenerating health, unless it is very generous on health pickups, any given room can either be the easiest or hardest room in the game based entirely on how much health you had when you entered. With regenerating health devs can properly tune encounters so it fits nicely into a difficultly curve.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The problem with regenerating health is that it usually means that you can cheese the game by waiting around, pick off a few enemies, wait, kill some more, wait more...

It gives no incentive to go fast. Quite the opposite, really. I've never played a shooter where the mechanic worked well, honestly...

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing wrong with randomly made worlds... Unless you're talking about removing games that use it poorly, then yeah, those can go.
Often, it seems that randomly made worlds are an excuse to skip the world-building phase of story development altogether. A world cannot have well written or designed landmarks, points of interest, etc. if the world itself has no true definition. Similarly, randomly generated worlds also tend to exist to create artificial replayability. A truly replayable game has no issues appealing to its player more than once. Appealing challenges, puzzles, and other elements should be just as appealing a second time as it was the first time. Instead of making all of the content in a game literally impossible to see in a first run (as the case is in randomly/procedurally generated worlds), developers should focus more on either making elements worth seeing multiple times or making elements difficult to find.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Often, it seems that randomly made worlds are an excuse to skip the world-building phase of story development altogether. A world cannot have well written or designed landmarks, points of interest, etc. if the world itself has no true definition. Similarly, randomly generated worlds also tend to exist to create artificial replayability. A truly replayable game has no issues appealing to its player more than once. Appealing challenges, puzzles, and other elements should be just as appealing a second time as it was the first time. Instead of making all of the content in a game literally impossible to see in a first run (as the case is in randomly/procedurally generated worlds), developers should focus more on either making elements worth seeing multiple times or making elements difficult to find.
Story isn't necessary in every game, and there's games with random worlds and interesting characters anyway.

On the flipside, having one layout wouldn't actually add to certain games... Minecraft for example. In MC literally everything is a resource. Having preset puzzles or dungeons wouldn't really work because you could dig right to the good stuff, and making these undiggable even temporarily doesn't really fix the problem and defeats the point of the game. If it were the same monsters around the same corner and the same rewards in the same fortress then any kind of repeat play would get stale fast. The main reason random worlds became a thing in the first place was to keep a sense of unknown past the first go.

Then you have games like Don't Starve where the whole point is that you can't expect the same situation every time. Since death is permanent and powerful resources are rare you end up in a lot of totally different situations that you have to think your way out of or lose, and explicitly not rely on muscle memory. Similar scenario with mystery dungeon games. Easier games like Minecraft or Animal Crossing are largely random for the sake of being random, to be different from other players' experiences and feel like your world is only yours.

"True replayability" isn't a thing. You could say one game is more replayable then another, like if it has ten minutes of cutscenes right away or how quickly it devolves into the same few actions, but wether or not randomness is bad doesn't factor into this. I've seen just as many speedrun communities around both the most rigid of games and complete RNG fests... The ones that stick are the ones that are fun to play and replay, which is again largely indifferent of how random the game is.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Story isn't necessary in every game

On the flipside, having one layout wouldn't actually add to certain games... Minecraft for example. In MC literally everything is a resource. Having preset puzzles or dungeons wouldn't really work because you could dig right to the good stuff, and making these undiggable even temporarily doesn't really fix the problem and defeats the point of the game. If it were the same monsters around the same corner and the same rewards in the same fortress then any kind of repeat play would get stale fast. The main reason random worlds became a thing in the first place was to keep a sense of unknown past the first go.
I apologize for the misunderstanding, but it seems as if what I said in my first few posts didn't make it very clear what I meant, which is this (with the type setting reflecting your quote):
Correct, this is why:
I enjoy games where randomness plays an actual role in the design or appeal of the game (like Minecraft, The Binding of Isaac, Don't Starve, and others). However, there seems to be a trend in completely scrapping decent ideas in favor of a random design which has no part in the game.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'm tired of seeing just about every indie game have some form of crafting/survival method, but I wouldn't say that's the one thing I'd want to see. I want to see a lot of crap go but picking just one is hard.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm tired of seeing just about every indie game have some form of crafting/survival method, but I wouldn't say that's the one thing I'd want to see. I want to see a lot of crap go but picking just one is hard.
That's kinda just how it works... There's always a bunch of silly fads in, well, any entertainment industry. Myself I'm waiting for the open world bubble to pop.

Top Bottom