• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you want to see removed from gaming

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I don't have many problems with DLC honestly other than being overpriced for what you are actually getting in it at times or on disc/DLC that was in development before the main game is even complete. I do really like that we are starting to see a lot more games have free content updates now (I think this trend started with GTAV Online updates). Even if it isn't much I don't mind free stuff being added to games.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Different buttons to access different menus. For example in Skyrim (PS4) you have the pad to access the 'wait/time of day' menu, the triangle button for 'map/items/magic/leveling up' and the 'options' button for saving/loading, stats and quest journal. Why? Let's bring back one pause screen and submenus.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
If you want to blame anyone for that, blame PC devs.

The simple fact is that it's a lot more convenient to have multiple menus on the fly as opposed to scrolling through multiple submenus. Combine this with a copious amount of keys available and you'll see why multiple-menu design is so ubiquitous.

Rizen

Smash Legend
If you want to blame anyone for that, blame PC devs.

The simple fact is that it's a lot more convenient to have multiple menus on the fly as opposed to scrolling through multiple submenus. Combine this with a copious amount of keys available and you'll see why multiple-menu design is so ubiquitous.
Well it doesn't work for console games with controllers.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Different buttons to access different menus. For example in Skyrim (PS4) you have the pad to access the 'wait/time of day' menu, the triangle button for 'map/items/magic/leveling up' and the 'options' button for saving/loading, stats and quest journal. Why? Let's bring back one pause screen and submenus.
Honestly, I like it better to have different menus be set to different buttons.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Honestly, I like it better to have different menus be set to different buttons.
The problem with Skyrim is, lets say you want to find a quest destination, you press 'options' for the journal, find the quest then press square to show on map. Now you're on the map screen. But if you want to go back and look at quests more you have to close the map menu, wait a split second while the gameplay returns, then press 'options' again, and wait for the options menu to come up again. Similarly, if you're looking at the map and want to see quest details you must close the map menu, returning to gameplay, and open the journal menu. If you accidentally press the PS4 pad, because 'options' is in an awkward position, then you have to go through 'the close this menu, gameplay, open that menu' process.
It's tedious and ends up wasting a lot of accumulated time. I prefer something like the Ocarina of Time menu system where you can simply press L/R to flip to the next menu. :/

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I prefer something like the Ocarina of Time menu system where you can simply press L/R to flip to the next menu. :/
Honestly, a vast majority of console games I've played use this for menus. Betheseda just sucks at making their games playable on consoles.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Cheesy ending sequences where the power of friendship or love magically allows the heroes to beat the villain. The Paper Mario series is a good example of this.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Only online games. Online gameplay is fine but I feel like so many games are neglecting offline gameplay and single player. Imagine if the servers for something like LoL or Overwatch were shut down. those games would basically becomes useless.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
This only applies to Persona 5 (since I don't know any other game with this), but I don't like it whenever I ambush a shadow, I get a message that says I already have this Persona or I can't have any more. This gives me the impression that I'm just too overleveled fo that enemy. Maybe that's actually the reason why, but I just don't like that feature. Otherwise everything else is fine.

Also cuts. Every character has a fan, so removing them wouldn't be pleasant to fans. Only two I could think of so far.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Pre-order bonuses that are anything more than some kind of skins or costumes. Entire characters, missions, or stages/maps are too much content to lock behind a pre-order bonus that will usually end up being DLC later on.

I'm also tired of seeing games being dumbed down for "accessibility". I don't mind when it is done right, but then you have a game like SFV where they dumbed it down so much that severely limits the gameplay compared to previous games.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It also doesn't help SFV that it doesn't even have good enough content for the people they tried to dumb it down for either.
Still waiting on a proper arcade mode.
Over a year after launch.
GG Capcom.

Now let's talk all about MvC:I and how the DLC for that game is ****ing awful based on the two characters we know of.
Sigma - One of the main villains in story mode. DLC.
Black Panther - Wakanda (His home) is a stage (crossed with Monster Hunter I think) and he seemingly has a role in the story. DLC.
Probably be similar for other DLC characters in the 2017 fighter pass thing as well.
That's just one of MvC:I's many issues plaguing it right now

FallenHero

Smash Ace
It also doesn't help SFV that it doesn't even have good enough content for the people they tried to dumb it down for either.
Still waiting on a proper arcade mode.
Over a year after launch.
GG Capcom.

Now let's talk all about MvC:I and how the DLC for that game is ****ing awful based on the two characters we know of.
Sigma - One of the main villains in story mode. DLC.
Black Panther - Wakanda (His home) is a stage (crossed with Monster Hunter I think) and he seemingly has a role in the story. DLC.
Probably be similar for other DLC characters in the 2017 fighter pass thing as well.
That's just one of MvC:I's many issues plaguing it right now

It really seems like Capcom doesn't give a **** about the consumers or even the games themselves, and are just banking on the games being a major fighting game esport to lure new players and viewers. I honestly think Capcom might be done for after MvC:I unless they completely revamp SFV with Super SFV and make the right decisions, but we all know they would manage to still **** it up and give us another half baked game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Waifus.

Also, overpriced DLC.

Also, waifus.
My biggest issue with waifus is that it means that devs can just reach into the grab bag of female archetypes to fill out their game and a notable number of people will eat it and that character's merchandise like its Thanksgiving. No need to put effort into making an engaging and complex character, just shove your -deres into your anime inspired game and money will come.

TBH that's a humongous problem I think modern anime has too, but this isn't the unpopular anime opinions thread.

SM Sola

Smash Cadet
The Destiny approach to exclusivity - withholding DLC from other platforms so that one has more content for a considerable amount of time.
Not a widespread problem yet, but I'd really hate to see it become more common in the future.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
The Destiny approach to exclusivity - withholding DLC from other platforms so that one has more content for a considerable amount of time.
Not a widespread problem yet, but I'd really hate to see it become more common in the future.
I remember hearing about that years ago in the last generation with I think Call of Duty or some other game where XBox would get DLC earlier than all other platforms.

McChicken

Smash Rookie
That's a tough question. I'd have to go with either pre ordering or hyping a game to infinity. Both are just really bad for the industry.
The problem with pre orders is, that they appear to be consumer friendly, but they aren't.
And with Hype? No Man's Sky. Need I say more?

finalark

SNORLAX
Turn based combat in RPGs. So many good storylines and worlds ruined by lazy, immersion destroying gameplay.
I mean, you got your wish. Ever since the start of the HD era in the mid 2000s JPRG devs have desperately spitballed combat with awkward, clunky mechanics that are different for the sake of being different. Turn based combat pretty much only lives on in handheld games and the Persona series.

Which is a damn same, because turn based RPG combat can be delightfully strategic and tense when its built well by a team who knows exactly the right switches to flip to make something as underwhelming as menu navigation exciting.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Reminder that one of the best games to release this year (and last year in Japan) is a turn based RPG and probably wouldn't work well with real time based combat.

You can say Nier Automata (which is also fantastic) or (to use my absolute favourite game ever) Xenoblade Chronicles all you want but there's absolutely a place for both turn based and real time when it comes to RPGs

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Progression systems that give direct upgrades to your abilities in competitive multiplayer games, particularly ones that require extensive grinding or are in ranked environments.

Can also include micro transaction.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Loot boxes. They are fundamentally exploitative, and making them purely cosmetic doesn't reduce the lack of ethics. They are mere slot machines.

I am aware that financial realities involving players being unwilling to pay more than 60$ yet demanding greater and greater budgets are an important factor. Loot boxes are symptomatic of a broken and unsustainable industry. Companies are incentivized not to break even but to claw for maximized profits in any way possible.

In conclusion, **** capitalism.

finalark

SNORLAX
Loot boxes. They are fundamentally exploitative, and making them purely cosmetic doesn't reduce the lack of ethics. They are mere slot machines.

I am aware that financial realities involving players being unwilling to pay more than 60$ yet demanding greater and greater budgets are an important factor. Loot boxes are symptomatic of a broken and unsustainable industry. Companies are incentivized not to break even but to claw for maximized profits in any way possible.

In conclusion, **** capitalism.
I'm actually fine with loot boxes in free to play games. It's when its in full priced games (Battlefront 2 2017 and Overwatch for example) that its a problem. I already bought the damn game, adding real money gambling on top of it is just ridiculous.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Excessive button mashing.

Vast herds of copy and paste toads in Mario RPGs. In earlier games we got toads with personality and names like Tracy T, Zest T, etc. Other species populated a lot of areas like Rougeport in PM TTYD. But lately in games like Sticker Star, Color Splash and M&L Paper Jam we only see nameless toads with no personality. This is a good video on why Mario RPGs took a wrong turn.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
Doesn't matter what I want game developers to get out of their games because video games are developed with profit as their ultimate and main purpose, and therefore video game developers will use every sneezy and underhanded tactic in the book to milk as much money out of their customers.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Doesn't matter what I want game developers to get out of their games because video games are developed with profit as their ultimate and main purpose, and therefore video game developers will use every sneezy and underhanded tactic in the book to milk as much money out of their customers.
It depends on the company. Games are made with passion too. Take Shovel Knight; it had 2 entirely free DLC campaigns that more than doubled the game.

Games need to bring back the pause feature to their offline/solo modes. Monster Hunter World and DS3 can't be paused at all. Some of us have kids/phone calls/pets etc who need immediate attention.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
It depends on the company. Games are made with passion too. Take Shovel Knight; it had 2 entirely free DLC campaigns that more than doubled the game.

Games need to bring back the pause feature to their offline/solo modes. Monster Hunter World and DS3 can't be paused at all. Some of us have kids/phone calls/pets etc who need immediate attention.
True. You make many valid points about Dlc and video game design in general. I am not against dlc as long as it adds value to a game. Dlc worth purchasing would be anything along the lines of extra characters, maps or levels and etc that add replay value to a game. Imo Dlc not worth purchasing would be extra costumes, skins for weapons and other trivial features that don't add anything to a player's experience...of course you can purchase these more trivial Dlc if you like...I am not stopping you and sometimes I've even purchased these too. Dlc that is definitely not worth purchasing and is sneezy and underhanded on the company's behalf would be the type of dlc that unlocks features and content that are otherwise already installed in the game (everyone remember what Capcom did with one of their Street Fighter games where certain characters--who were already pre installed on the original game--could only be unlocked if you paid to unlock them). And the most annoying Dlc would be the type were the player, who buys the Dlc, is given an unfair advantage over other players from a competitive gameplay perspective. Or the developers of a game make a rpg excessively grindy , and you need to buy a Dlc that helps you unlock weapons/equipment/experience faster since the weapons, equipment and other loot is randomly generated and would otherwise take too much of your precious time to unlock and gain.

Either way it is the player's choice whether or not he wants to support a game developer via buying their Dlc . Or buying the game for that matter. I apologize for calling all game companies as overly greedy. There is nothing wrong with making a profit off a product as long as you don't use overly sneezy and underhanded tactics to milk as much money out of your customers as possible.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
Oh, I forgot somethin': pre-order bonuses and food tie-ins.

"Oh, look! A brand-new Forza Turismo Position game! It comes out on December 46, 2068, but we can pre-order it!"

"Actually, I'll wait 'till we can find it at GameStop for $10."

"Wait...you can get the Blue Falcon if you pre-order?! I'm all in!"

"AND you can get a chance to win a free copy if I just but ten boxes of 'Broccoli-Flavored Ice Cream'? I hate that stuff, but I'll take it!"

Rizen

Smash Legend
Being able to buy almost all your equipment. Horizon Zero Dawn has a bad case of this as the only weapon you can't buy is the tearblaster. Hunting ground quests have upgrades but no new weapons. You should get new weapons as quest rewards.
Zelda BotW is another example. You get some outfits from shrines but they could have moved more to them. It would give you incentive to search around for the hidden chest(s).

Last edited:
Top Bottom