• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you want to see removed from gaming

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
  1. I'm going to save a lot of typing here and just say everything Capcom's been doing lately.
  2. Touch damage. Touch damage can burn in hell, and is a mechanic that should've died a long time ago.
  3. Gyro controls and overuse of motion controls. Guess who this is aimed? Gyro controls aren't good, Nintendo. They never have, and they never will be. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is quite possibly my favorite game of all time, the reason why I say "quite possibly" is because they decided to shoehorn in bad motion controls in an otherwise perfect game.
  4. This is entirely a personal thing, but Japanese voices in games. Not the voices themselves, but the weaboos out there who swear up and down that Japanese voices are infinitely better than English voices despite not speaking a lick of Japanese.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
  1. I'm going to save a lot of typing here and just say everything Capcom's been doing lately.
Yeah, porting games to PC that fans have been asking for for years sure is something that needs to be removed from gaming. Along with remaking DMC4 with three new characters. Man those Crapcom guys sure are butt!

Come on now, Capcom has done dumb **** this decade but if you think they haven't been doing good again since 2015 you're being flat-out oblivious to the good stuff they've done lately. Street Fighter V was handled poorly but other than that Capcom's slowly been redeeming themselves.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yeah, porting games to PC that fans have been asking for for years sure is something that needs to be removed from gaming. Along with remaking DMC4 with three new characters. Man those Crapcom guys sure are butt!

Come on now, Capcom has done dumb **** this decade but if you think they haven't been doing good again since 2015 you're being flat-out oblivious to the good stuff they've done lately. Street Fighter V was handled poorly but other than that Capcom's slowly been redeeming themselves.
My favorite part was when they killed off one of their most successful franchises and charged $60 for a less than half-finished game while simultaneously ****ing over everyone who bought their so-called "Season Pass."

Twewy

Smash Lord
And then they ported 3 of the best games (Dead Rising, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, REmake) they ever made to PC in a year. If they ported God Hand and Third Strike they'd be redeemed as all hell to me.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
  1. Touch damage. Touch damage can burn in hell, and is a mechanic that should've died a long time ago.
  2. Gyro controls and overuse of motion controls. Guess who this is aimed? Gyro controls aren't good, Nintendo. They never have, and they never will be. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is quite possibly my favorite game of all time, the reason why I say "quite possibly" is because they decided to shoehorn in bad motion controls in an otherwise perfect game.
Mario wouldn't really work without contact damage... Megaman or Shovel Knight wouldn't be very different without it because they'd just give the enemies on ledges melee attacks or something. Most enemies just shoot at you and by the time you're on top of them they're dead. Sonic doesn't need contact damage though, Freedom Planet is proof enough.

Motion controls aren't inherently a bad thing though. Galaxy 1 and 2 I think used them well without overstaying their presence, while LoZSS used them too much (swimming, flying, menus) I don't think it really detracted from the game and it made good use of it in swordplay.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Motion controls are up in the air for me. Sure, they've worked before like with Galaxy, but I've seen just as many misses as there have been hits. Nintendo especially has been on both sides. And at least they've used it well, I can't say the same for just about every other company who has tried to use it.

At best, it's another method of control. At worst, it's a gimmicky mess that only exists for the novelty.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
QTEs.

"Press this button right this second or you're dead!!"
"Oh well, you didn't do it fast enough. Game Over."

"Continue?"
>Yes No

"Press this button right this second or you're dead!!"
"Well you pressed a button, but it wasn't the right one because we changed the button you needed to press LOL"
"Continue?"
Yes >No

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mario wouldn't really work without contact damage... Megaman or Shovel Knight wouldn't be very different without it because they'd just give the enemies on ledges melee attacks or something. Most enemies just shoot at you and by the time you're on top of them they're dead. Sonic doesn't need contact damage though, Freedom Planet is proof enough.
Mario would work just fine without touch damage. Most of the enemies try to run into you or shoot some kind of projectile.
Motion controls aren't inherently a bad thing though. Galaxy 1 and 2 I think used them well without overstaying their presence,
I was completely fine with shaking the Wiimote to spin and using the pointer, it was the ball roiling and the Fluzzard levels that had the frustration-inducing ****ty motion controls. No one liked those levels, and both games would have benefited from their removal.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Mario would work just fine without touch damage. Most of the enemies try to run into you or shoot some kind of projectile.

I was completely fine with shaking the Wiimote to spin and using the pointer, it was the ball roiling and the Fluzzard levels that had the frustration-inducing ****ty motion controls. No one liked those levels, and both games would have benefited from their removal.
...Isn't that contact damage?

I actually liked those levels. What made Galaxy good was the shear variety from one level to the next, and those are definitely different levels. They really weren't that hard...

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
...Isn't that contact damage?
If an enemy runs into me, of course I would expect to take damage, common sense. But if I just graze an enemy and I get hit, that's when I start to get mad.
I actually liked those levels. What made Galaxy good was the shear variety from one level to the next, and those are definitely different levels. They really weren't that hard...
Good for you, they were still bull****. Variety can be achieved without sacrificing good controls.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If an enemy runs into me, of course I would expect to take damage, common sense. But if I just graze an enemy and I get hit, that's when I start to get mad.

Good for you, they were still bull****. Variety can be achieved without sacrificing good controls.
That's more of a hitbox thing.

They weren't BS and the controls were good. I don't understand the problem.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
As the title explains, what is the one thing that you want gone from video games?

To avoid flame wars, don't mention any companies or franchises. It's more about gameplay mechanics, aesthetics, policies and trends

One thing I want gone is Microtransactions. It pretty much force you to be less skillful in video games and puts in the idea of you can have better stuff by buying it instead of earning it in the main game or having it available from the start
The one thing I want gone is ranking systems. All they do is just give me pressure to win the entire time I play, which 100% ruins the fun. Unless there's no punishment for losing, all it does is ruin the fun.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The one thing I want gone is ranking systems. All they do is just give me pressure to win the entire time I play, which 100% ruins the fun. Unless there's no punishment for losing, all it does is ruin the fun.
Ranking system isn't too bad for a fast paced game that does a lot of replayability but it sucks when it's put into a game that doesn't fit it's style

Dyylos

Smash Rookie
Hand holding in video games

Call of duty is a prime example, Go here: shoot some people: watch a cinematic: Mission Complete.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Hand holding in video games

Call of duty is a prime example, Go here: shoot some people: watch a cinematic: Mission Complete.
That's not handholding, that's linearity. Handholding is a game making things easier than it should be. Like a game constantly you reminding what to do in case you forgot the objective, flinging powerups, health or ammo at you whenever possible, or wait a minute that card....

Dyylos

Smash Rookie
That's not handholding, that's linearity. Handholding is a game making things easier than it should be. Like a game constantly you reminding what to do in case you forgot the objective, flinging powerups, health or ammo at you whenever possible, or wait a minute that card....
You're totally right, thanks for voicing what I was trying to say :3

Twewy

Smash Lord
Again, linearity or repetition =/= handholding. Most of CoD's campaigns are linear, yes, but on anything above the easiest difficulty it certainly doesn't hold your hand. At least, the ones I played, the newest one I played was Black Ops and that was around your age. World at War on Veteran is PTSD-inducing levels of grenades.

Can we remove Konami, though? They obviously have no idea what the hell they're doing, and it is made even more apparent after Metal Gear Survive.

finalark

SNORLAX
Again, linearity or repetition =/= handholding.
On that note I'll also add that linear =/= bad. Some of the most widely loved and acclaimed games are linear (or, in DnD terms, are railroads disguised as sandboxes). Choosing linear design for your game actually has a ton of advantages, as well as disadvantages.

Can we remove Konami, though? They obviously have no idea what the hell they're doing, and it is made even more apparent after Metal Gear Survive.
It's amazing that people are still cloning Left 4 Dead in 2016.

What's even more amazing is that Konami thought it could cash in on a dead (pardon the pun) craze by slapping the Metal Gear name onto what was likely a completely unrelated game early in development.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
It's not even like Left 4 Dead, it's like some weird mishmash of indie zombie survival games and Metal Gear.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's not even like Left 4 Dead, it's like some weird mishmash of indie zombie survival games and Metal Gear.
Assuming there's even any stealth in it. For all we know it could be a game where you charge in and shoot all the zomb zombs with your friends while explosions happen every five minutes.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Still... I can't help but wonder how much of it is because Konami is the miserable wreck they are now. Because let's be honest Metal Gear has been involved in stupid crap before.

Let's say if Konami didn't pull all the crap they've done over the years and were still a not-punchable face. Would Metal Gear Survival still get the same amount of backlash?

Just food for thought.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I wish people didn't get harassed while playing games online. Voice chat harassment is awful enough by itself, but it can happen with text chat too. Having to deal with people saying sexist, racist, or other mean stuff (like telling someone to die) shouldn't be the price you have to pay for playing the competitive multiplayer mode of a game.

...I'm really glad that Splatoon doesn't have voice chat.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Still... I can't help but wonder how much of it is because Konami is the miserable wreck they are now. Because let's be honest Metal Gear has been involved in stupid crap before.

Let's say if Konami didn't pull all the crap they've done over the years and were still a not-punchable face. Would Metal Gear Survival still get the same amount of backlash?

Just food for thought.
I feel like if the project was actually Kojima helmed it would be a very different flavor of stupid. I'm not going to deny that the Metal Gear series hasn't gone to dumb places, because it's always got one foot deep into political drama and commentary while the other foot is deep into the realm of absolute insanity. Despite that, even when MGS is at its dumbest you can still count on it being wildly creative and imaginative.

Zombies are just too vanilla for Kojima.

Besides, Metal Gear Acid, another non-Kojima MG game go similar backlash upon release even before Konami was in the crapper.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I wish people didn't get harassed while playing games online. Voice chat harassment is awful enough by itself, but it can happen with text chat too. Having to deal with people saying sexist, racist, or other mean stuff (like telling someone to die) shouldn't be the price you have to pay for playing the competitive multiplayer mode of a game.

...I'm really glad that Splatoon doesn't have voice chat.
lol you do know you can mute players right? It mutes them in voice chat and in text chat too for most games.

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like with cult classics and horror games (especially cult classic horror games) we have a problem where a number of the "fans" have never actually played the game and just go on word of mouth that it's good. This leads to situations where some games are praised beyond belief, usually citing the one thing that everyone knows about as the reason (tip: If someone's praising Eternal Darkness and all they can talk about are the sanity mechanics they've never actually played the game). It also leads to situations where a bewildering amount misinformation spreads like wildfire.

Enter Silent Hill. Or as I like to call it, the most famous video game series that nobody has played. Now, I'm a pretty big fan of SH. I've played a majority of the games and I'd like to think that I have a pretty good handle on them. Let me tell you, I have heard people who supposedly know what they're talking about say some astoundingly incorrect things about the series. Let me go ahead and clear up these common misconceptions.

"Everyone in Silent Hill is dead." Wrong. The series' continuity wouldn't make any sense if this was the case.

"The town of Silent Hill exists to punish people who had done bad things." HOO BOY DO I SEE THIS ONE A LOT. This is also incorrect. Silent Hill 2 is about a guy who did a bad thing, but all of the other Team Silent protagonists are pretty normal people who happened to get wrapped up in the machinations of the cult. speaking of which:

"Silent Hill is about guilt." No. Wrong. Incorrect. Silent Hill 2 is about guilt, but if you actually play the games instead of parroting what people who only like (or have only played) SH2 say you'll quickly discover that Silent Hill is a series about occultism. The unfortunate thing is that the post-Team Silent devs don't seem to have actually played the original series (save for the Homecoming devs) and just looked online to see what SH was. This is why all of the newer games have guilt or trauma as a major theme. Hell, even PT, for as spoop-tastic as it was, was about a guy who did a bad thing and not occultism.

Wow, that turned into a rant. To wrap up I'll say that my point in all of this was that if you see something you're interested in you should play it for yourself instead of just parroting the internet.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Difficulty settings. As in, "Easy, Normal, Hard".

Two reasons.
One, I prefer when games have different levels of challenge in certain areas and self-imposed challenge that are totally balanced for the single difficulty.

Two, I sometimes feel inadequate when I beat a game, but I can't beat it on anything higher than Normal. Bayonetta 1, for me, has this issue where I want to beat the game on Hard as well as some other challenges but I am literally incapable.

You could say they could make the game harder on Normal and I wouldn't be able to beat it at ALL, but at least it would be a singular thing for me to work towards and finally achieve, instead of, "alright you beat the game on Hard, after tons of work...now beat the game on Non-Stop Infinite Climax, while getting max rank on every stage and playing as Jeanne"

Then there's Dark Souls where, I beat Ornstein and Smough and that's a done deal. No hard mode, unless you count A) NG+, which has a lot more wiggle room in some case, or B) self-imposed challenges, which are self-imposed challenges.

Maybe I'm rambling and this doesn't make sense, but I'm just not a fan of difficulty settings.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I dunno... There's a lot of games I wouldn't enjoy half as much as I do without different difficultly modes, and if there weren't difficultly modes then most people wouldn't complete them. If Kingdom Hearts ramped up to lvl 1 Critical levels of difficultly eventually then the difficultly curve would accelerate crazy fast or people would get stuck on the second boss if it were natural.

If you only target hardcores, you won't find much of an audience. At the same time if you just got everything for free then people aren't terribly inclined to keep playing. To find and keep as large as possible of an audience you need to cast a wide net. Games can do this with scores, some with time, with difficultly modes, or by scaling like you said, though some don't really have any and make it work by being more of an experience. I don't really see why difficultly levels are any less legitimate then the rest.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Stuff like "DLC" aka "Disc Locked Content" not "Down Loadable Content", microtransactions, and abusing or poorly handling kickstarters are all business practices that should not be welcomed at all in any form of video games. It's one easy way to alienate and garner mistrust from the consumer; which you know, is a main source of keeping you relevant or not. Having and maintaining a good or bad pr matters a lot in the video game industry.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Developers not telling the truth about their games and not constantly saying yes to every question about if certain things will be included in the game even when you know it is not in the game. I'm looking at you No Man's Sky, too bad it is too late for me to get my money back. Even worse when the trailers show things that are not in the full game. In game pre-order bonuses also need to no longer be a thing. It is fine if the in game pre-order bonus is just something cosmetic, but when an entire playable character or map is only available to people who pre-ordered it is bull****. For some games you can at least buy the pre-order bonus as DLC if you didn't get it, but some games never even have pre-order bonuses as DLC.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Less "gaming" and more "gaming communities" but I'm pretty tired of people crying like I insulted their lord when I point out a flaw with a classic... Sooooo many people scream bloody murdur when I say SMW is **** easy, and that's after Miamoto said as such.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Games that try to be cinematic in the vein of TLOU and Uncharted.

Remind me why I buy games again. Is it because I want to watch an overly long film that makes Lord of the Rings feel like a ten second advert? Is it because I want loads cutscenes and "cinematic" moments at the expense of gamepaly?
No.
I play games to play games and have great gameplay that I want to go back and replay time and time again like Wonderful 101, the Halo series, Metroidvanias, Xenoblade and Metal Gear Rising. God of War 4 hurts with the direction it's taking. I play God of War to beat the **** out of Gods and monsters, not to have some crappy clone of a game I already find to be horrifically overrated. I remember when Kratos was just an angry Spartan that didn't give a **** about anyone, not some lame attempt at father figure in order to appease the critics. Where are the flashy moves? The iconic Chained Blades? I just see basic axe swings with a discount Mjolnir because "Thor's popular right? I mean he's in the MCU and that's doing well plus people want Norse mythology so why not mix that with TLOU instead of staying true to our series and improving our combat by taking notes from Bayonetta?"

It's like if a Metroid game took out the vast majority of exploration, had silly slow walk sections, unskippable cutscenes and Samus suddenly became a monotonous character that took orders from a guy she respected even though he seems like a **** contrary to previous impressions from other games in the franchise and brooded over a baby Metroid in some pathetic attempt at being dee-
Oh.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I've mentioned this earlier in this thread, but out of all of the HDisms that came out of the HD era this is the one that annoys me the most.
It's so irritating when you try to replay games. Just make it a short, skippable cut scene instead so people can get on with the game and have fun instead of being bored to death by an intrusive story moment that's probably unnecessary to the game in general.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's so irritating when you try to replay games. Just make it a short, skippable cut scene instead so people can get on with the game and have fun instead of being bored to death by an intrusive story moment that's probably unnecessary to the game in general.

BUT AREN'T YOU FEELING IMMERSED? ISN'T SLOWING WALKING NEXT TO YOUR FRIENDS WHILE THEY DUMP A **** TON OF EXPOSITION ON YOU WHAT YOU DO IN REAL LIFE? ISN'T AWKWARDLY TRYING TO POSITION YOURSELF WHILE YOUR BUDDY KEEPS RAMBLING ON SO REALISTIC AND CINEMATIC!?

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Well that's what the mainstream people seem to want (and even reviewers who have lived through 4+ gens of videogaming).

The ideal way to tell story is incidentally through environment and atmosphere; good "HD era" examples being Fallout 3 (the Vaults were wonderful), BioShock, and the Demon/Dark Souls series. This method rewards the observant and patient while also not forcing exposition on the initial or subsequent playthroughs.

But this requires reading and paying attention, something that doesn't resonate with the masses concerning newer media formats. This is why you also see all these Comic book and graphic novels TV/Movies only now becoming massively popular and "in vogue". They were always cool, always great stories, but the mainstream people were too lazy to read them (instead they used to blindly make fun of the same exact source material). 20-60 years later....Nothing really has changed to make them more popular aside from dumbing down the method of delivery for the common denominator consumer (in fact the story, characters, and continuity are usually much worse when adapted)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I had no idea the slow walk thing was even in other games... Shows how much I care about anything without's Nintendo's name.

What I'd like to see gone is the constant moaning about how X game needs Y pointless feature. Dunno about you guys but I'm happy we're long past the point where crappy multiplayer minigames and everything like it are shoehorned into everything.

Top Bottom