• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you want to see removed from gaming

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I want to see a lot less games that try to be a jack of all trades to appeal to more people, but end up having a lot of shallow and/or unpolished elements to the game. I personally find GTAV to be a pretty fun game, especially online with friends, but who really would say that game has some of the best shooting mechanics in gaming? Or that it has the deepest flying mechanics in planes? Nobody. It is perfectly fine that the GTA games don't really have much focus put on it's mechanics, but it is annoying when so many other games try to do the same thing. A game like MGSV is an example of a game that has absolutely great gameplay, but it fails to deliver when it comes to the story. Just imagine if instead of MGSV being an open world game with two large open maps that you will find yourself getting bored with after going to the same outpost for the 5th time, it was structured like the previous games where instead of large open maps, you would be in smaller and more compact maps where they could even further improve on how the AI enemies act and focus on making a better story instead of two giant barren wastelands where nothing unpredictable really happens other than a truck with two soldiers showing up to the outpost you are in sometimes.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
GTA is a sandbox game at it's core... It's about just goofing off and doing random things.

Metal Gear on the other hand... That's just devs trying to cram this "open world" trash into everything.

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually liked the open world in MGSV.

If only the game wasn't so damn long. Most of the core mechanics are a blast until the game starts dragging.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
For me Metal Gear was at it's best in Metal Gear Solid 1 and Metal Gear Solid GBC (Ghost Babel)
MGS 3 probably deserves to be at the top of my list as well....

The only one I haven't played is Peacewalker; I own it, but just haven't got around to it for years. I hear it's like a smaller version of MGSV with some questionable underage relationship thing (which is probably an overreaction by media).

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I actually liked the open world in MGSV.

If only the game wasn't so damn long. Most of the core mechanics are a blast until the game starts dragging.
I liked it too, but it really could have used some more variety, like adding in other factions that could occasionally show up at an outpost to attack it or have outposts be a territory to one of those factions. In one of the missions you are supposed to help a resistance fight against the Soviets by eliminating the Soviet armored vehicles and tanks, but at no point in the game do you ever actually see another opposing force to the Soviets in Afghanistan. I just think that if the game was more akin to the previous games, it would have had a much stronger story and more variety when it came to the locations.

For me Metal Gear was at it's best in Metal Gear Solid 1 and Metal Gear Solid GBC (Ghost Babel)
MGS 3 probably deserves to be at the top of my list as well....

The only one I haven't played is Peacewalker; I own it, but just haven't got around to it for years. I hear it's like a smaller version of MGSV with some questionable underage relationship thing (which is probably an overreaction by media).
MGS3 is personally my favorite game ever, but that is besides the point (sorry I just love to talk about that game). Peacewalker is pretty much like MGSV on a much smaller scale with a few elements of MGS3. The underage relationship technically was not an overreaction, because it had to do with Snake and Paz, who at the time Snake thought was like 16 years old if I remember. In the true ending you discover that Paz is not even her real name and she was actually in her 20s. Anyways the MGS games were made by Japanese devs, and the culture in Japan is different.

GTA is a sandbox game at it's core... It's about just goofing off and doing random things.

Metal Gear on the other hand... That's just devs trying to cram this "open world" trash into everything.
Exactly what I was talking about for GTA, but so many other games try to be like GTA and just end up not standing out.

MGSV pulls off open world pretty well, but it suffers from the same thing almost every open world game suffers from, which is having a lack of variety in the open world. As much as I am excited for Breath of the Wild, I am expecting that game to have the same problem to an extent.

Last edited:

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
stuff and things
Yea I ended up reading about it since I posted it.

Spoiled it for myself, but....

Honestly I don't have an issue with it either way, if she was 16 or if she was in her 20s. Now the massive age difference I do find very odd, in that situation I'd never add a part like the one we are discussing. I'll be skipping that part if possible (sounds like it is...) it doesn't add anything to the story or character development.

A lot of people don't know this but the age of consent varies wildly even within the US (even less know in Canada it's 16 everywhere within country). Different US states have it as low as 14-15, others have it at the federal minimum 18. It really is just a number, some people mature faster than others. Magically at 18 you don't all of a sudden become an adult and gain the ability overnight to give consent. Some women look like they are in their 20s when they are 16-17 and vice versa for some guys. In some countries you can drink legally at 13-14 and the age of consent goes from 13-21.

Anyways that's a discussion for the debate hall or whatever.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
As much as I am excited for Breath of the Wild, I am expecting that game to have the same problem to an extent.
Hoo boy... Can't say I'm happy with BotW's direction at all. The only two open world games I've enjoyed are Minecraft, where even the ground beneath your feet is a resource, and Xeno X, which is basically the original Xenoblade without story triggers blocking off areas. Zelda doesn't really do exploration well...

Your reward for exploration is usually close to nothing. Death usually has no negative effects and there's maybe one or two difficult fights in the game, besides SS and the first two. Extra bottles and hearts or sword and shield upgrades make already easy games easier. (I've done 3 heart challenges in more then a few games... "Lukewarm" is how I'd describe the difficulty. I mean, you actually have a chance of dying, I guess.) Money's also pretty useless because all it gets you is combat upgrades and ammo upgrades, and there's way too much of it. (Besides the first two and SS again. Yaknow I shouldn't have to mention it every time...)

BotW is trying to be more like Castlevania and add weapons to the mix. You know the problem? There's basically no barriers to prevent progression, and enemies are still too simple-minded to even make use of their inflated stats. There's little stopping you from just sneaking into a late-game area and cruising through the mandatory fights with it, while ignoring everything optional.

Even if you can't just destroy the balance like that then it's built like Sticker Star where you fight with weapons to get... More weapons. Why bother when there's stuff just sitting in chests? Why bother with nearly any resource when it all goes back to combat?

The puzzles are still mostly "walk up and press X," with the added twist of being able to press Y and Z to solve the same puzzle too, never mind the fact that they're tossed aside in favor of more combat. The story's just going to be another "okay" Zelda story. I mean... It's even shaping up to have aLBW's difficulty and progression issues because now you should be able to solve every puzzle as soon as you find it and and everything but the first and last areas might all be the same difficulty because some people are dumb and would rather brute force though an area then try looking somewhere else.

I just... Don't get the hype at all. The dumb and empty horse/bird/boat areas got old with the very first game to have one: OoT. Making it bigger makes it even worse.

NeoFranky

Smash Rookie
Corporative business tactics. That is to maximize profits by making games that sell the most with the least amount of effort put into them and sticking to "safe" products.

In short, stop half-assing games damn it. Worst part is that games that don't have low budgets or are niche and are not seen very much.

NeoFranky

Smash Rookie
You might want to look up what niche means.
Yes, a specialized, small, profitable market. What I meant is that they do not get enough recognition due to a smaller install base like the Ys series, which is one of the best series in gaming when it comes to action RPGs and music in the market and yet very, very few people even recognize the name. If what you are implying is: "if they were recognized they wouldn't be niche", the I'd have to say "precisely".

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Worst part is that games that don't have low budgets
Nowadays we actually see a ton of mainstream games with really high budgets, but the problem is that they often manage to screw it up somehow. I feel like when games have a budget is fairly low, but not TOO low, developers figure out how to make a good game out of what they had to work with.

NeoFranky

Smash Rookie
Nowadays we actually see a ton of mainstream games with really high budgets, but the problem is that they often manage to screw it up somehow. I feel like when games have a budget is fairly low, but not TOO low, developers figure out how to make a good game out of what they had to work with.
That is because alllll that budget goes in to marketing, payed reviews, expensive voice actors, cinematics and the pockets oft he higher ups. The "corporative model" that I speak of is focused on selling the game, not making a good game. Skyrim, for instance, is a game that spent most of it's money for development in marketing and making sure the game was popular before it even released, and paying people and reviews site to make sure it got high scores to fabricate the impression that it's an amazing game, when in fact it was widely disliked by the long-time Elder Scroll fans.

That is also closer to what happened to Mighty #9, for instance. It was much more focused on selling the kickstarter itself by using "Megaman's Creator" as a figurehead and making a lot of PR, rather than actually making the game great.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
That is because alllll that budget goes in to marketing, payed reviews, expensive voice actors, cinematics and the pockets oft he higher ups. The "corporative model" that I speak of is focused on selling the game, not making a good game. Skyrim, for instance, is a game that spent most of it's money for development in marketing and making sure the game was popular before it even released, and paying people and reviews site to make sure it got high scores to fabricate the impression that it's an amazing game, when in fact it was widely disliked by the long-time Elder Scroll fans.

That is also closer to what happened to Mighty #9, for instance. It was much more focused on selling the kickstarter itself by using "Megaman's Creator" as a figurehead and making a lot of PR, rather than actually making the game great.
Yeah when the budget isn't too high they usually seem to just focus on the game itself.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Another thing I really want to see no longer be a thing is games releasing on a Tuesday. I notice a lot of games are released on Tuesdays here in the U.S., and it makes no sense to release a game on that day, let alone a weekday. One game I've been waiting for to come out is releasing on Tuesday this week, but I won't have much time to play it, because I have school!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Microtransactions: DLC needs to have worthy content for a reasonable price. Not nickle and dimeing this and that for minor things in each game.

Unskippable cut-scenes: Game are meant to be interactive with. Cutscenes aren't evil or anything. But we shouldn't be forced to sit through them.

QTE's: They feel shallow even in great games like Bayo/Bayo2 when other means of combat are more satisfying. In ****ty games, it's just boring in general.

Pre-Order only content: Pretty self explanatory We should get a game as complete as possible no matter when we get it.

These would be the things I want to be removed above all else.

Also Walking simulators. I hate those kinds of games with a passion. Terrible pacing idea. I can't tell you how much I hate it.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I want to see a lot more single player games with a focus on gameplay and mechanics rather than story and narrative. Thankfully there are a lot of games I am looking forward to coming out this year that are doing exactly this, or look like they are going to have great gameplay and story.

P.S. I want to revive this thread

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Developers pushing map size as a selling point for open world games.
I don't care how big your world is. Give me interesting **** to do in it instead of leaving it bland and full of pointless collectibles and unique enemies/equipment.

Same goes for game length. I don't care if it's 30 hours long Mr Howard, is it actually FUN? Or is it going to overstay it's welcome and become boring? I'll take Titanfall 2's fun, replayable 4 hour campaign over Xenoblade X's boring, tedious 100+ hours.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Developers pushing map size as a selling point for open world games.
I don't care how big your world is. Give me interesting **** to do in it instead of leaving it bland and full of pointless collectibles and unique enemies/equipment.

Same goes for game length. I don't care if it's 30 hours long Mr Howard, is it actually FUN? Or is it going to overstay it's welcome and become boring? I'll take Titanfall 2's fun, replayable 4 hour campaign over Xenoblade X's boring, tedious 100+ hours.

Exactly how I felt after I finished the story in MGSV and got most of the unlockable gear I wanted. All I had to do after that point was just free roam one or do side ops in the two open world maps that don't really have anything interesting going on in them when you are not playing one of the really well designed story missions.

I'm also tired of seeing remasters of games with nothing new other than very slightly improved graphics and higher fps (which a lot of remasters don't even do when it probably wouldn't be difficult to improve the fps). Give me new modes that are not just a higher difficulty, new playable characters, bonus stages, new boss fights, etc. If they can't do that then they either shouldn't bother remastering the game, or just do a remake of an older game instead.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
MGSV should have been a linear game. Mechanics that beautiful did not deserve such a barren wasteland of a map.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
MGSV should have been a linear game. Mechanics that beautiful did not deserve such a barren wasteland of a map.
Not surprising. I'm not too big on MGS, but it likely fell into the trend of open world games that's going on now. It's better to have a tightly knit area than sprawling nothingness. They were always popular, but now they are more or less replacing the FPS as the main over-saturated genre.

I think it can work, look at GTA or Saint's Row. Spider-Man games had a good formula in that the worlds were reasonably smaller, but fit the character and mechanics.

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually liked that MGSV was more open-ended. 1-4 tended to cramp you into hallways and left you with a few obvious hiding places and approaches where as MGSV dropped you off around where you needed to be and let you come up with the best COA for infiltration.

IMO the open-ended approach made it one of the most fun games to play in the entire franchise.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
While I didn't hate the open approach (but it got boring running to destination over and over and then finally stealth), I do think my favorite moments were the bigger bases like Ground Zeroes. So I definitely agree that there should've been some linearity to it. There was a lot of good design involved in them, so it hurts that we didn't get more of those.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Not surprising. I'm not too big on MGS, but it likely fell into the trend of open world games that's going on now. It's better to have a tightly knit area than sprawling nothingness. They were always popular, but now they are more or less replacing the FPS as the main over-saturated genre.

I think it can work, look at GTA or Saint's Row. Spider-Man games had a good formula in that the worlds were reasonably smaller, but fit the character and mechanics.
Falling to the trend of open world games is exactly what happened. MGSV was a great game, but it was probably one of the worst MGS games (I personally think Peace Walker is the worst, and I liked that game anyways). If you only played MGSV, than you should definitely play the first four games. MGS3 is my favorite game of all time. I personally wouldn't mind if we go through a period of having a lot of high budget open world games, since they seem a lot more interesting than having 10 different fps games come out every year (though 2016 was a GREAT year for the fps genre) and we are bound to have some of those games be really good. I think most people would agree with me that the story missions in MGSV were the best parts of the game, but everything else just got so old when you do a side op where you have to go to the same outpost for the 8th time just to go capture one guy for about the 4th time.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Data-mining spoilers that is supposed to make the next update (or new game) surprising players. Hate 'em. Also motion controls aren't too fun much anymore (exception of VR).

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'd like to see control stick buttons, like L/R3 on PS4 controllers for example, be removed. They hurt my wrists and I always accidentally push them at tense moments.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Data-mining spoilers that is supposed to make the next update (or new game) surprising players. Hate 'em. Also motion controls aren't too fun much anymore (exception of VR).
My main problem with this is how so many people on the internet will show spoilers without any warning. If I want to see spoilers let me look for them, but if I don't then don't force me to completely avoid the internet.

I'm hoping the Switch won't have a lot of games that rely on motion controls and if they do have it in any form it should be really good. Though it does seem like the Switch won't have a lot of games with motion controls, and from what I've heard Arms apparently has pretty accurate motion controls.

I'd like to see control stick buttons, like L/R3 on PS4 controllers for example, be removed. They hurt my wrists and I always accidentally push them at tense moments.
I used to feel that way, but I honestly think it is great. I play Overwatch on console so I love the L3 button since that is what I set my jump button to.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I'm hoping the Switch won't have a lot of games that rely on motion controls and if they do have it in any form it should be really good. Though it does seem like the Switch won't have a lot of games with motion controls, and from what I've heard Arms apparently has pretty accurate motion controls.
I feel the same about the switch's motion controls, Arms seems like a great game for motion controls, but I feel as if motion controls may be used for certain games like that one. About that new HD rumble thing that would be in the joycon as well, I hope nintendo could take advantage of that for their switch games and still give an option to turn it off.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Luckily, for those who DON'T want them, Arms lets you play without motion controls. It seems like a fun brawler type game to mess around with. It could be fun.

I'm hoping motion controls will become far less prominent. Unlike the touch screen, it doesn't feel intuitive.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
That will never leave. It's a given it shall forever be in gaming.
At least a lot of games now are finding ways to hide loading screens with something like an elevator ride. I want more games to have loading screen mini games like in the older DBZ games or something to do. Giving tips while loading is only useful when you are new to the game.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
At least a lot of games now are finding ways to hide loading screens with something like an elevator ride. I want more games to have loading screen mini games like in the older DBZ games or something to do. Giving tips while loading is only useful when you are new to the game.
Never payed attention to DBZ, and I didn't know that. That would be so cool for every game! Actually not only for DBZ, but the wii U eshop loading screen has a minigame as well

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
On disk DLC or even DLC that was made before the game's release. It's just one of the most disingenuous things in the gaming industry for the past decade and I wish it would go away.

finalark

SNORLAX
On disk DLC or even DLC that was made before the game's release. It's just one of the most disingenuous things in the gaming industry for the past decade and I wish it would go away.
I'm not going to say that DLC ruined gaming or anything like that, but man did it let corporate greed run wild for a good few years. Things that would have been unlockables in the mid-2000s backwards suddenly chopped out of the game and sold at a premium, forcing you to pay to access something that was already on the disc you bought, making DLC along side the game so it could be sold later. It was a mess.

I feel like DLC is handled a lot better these days. Most of it is new maps and things like that for multiplayer modes and most story DLC is usually free or things that were intended to be in the original game but wasn't finished in time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm not going to say that DLC ruined gaming or anything like that, but man did it let corporate greed run wild for a good few years. Things that would have been unlockables in the mid-2000s backwards suddenly chopped out of the game and sold at a premium, forcing you to pay to access something that was already on the disc you bought, making DLC along side the game so it could be sold later. It was a mess.

I feel like DLC is handled a lot better these days. Most of it is new maps and things like that for multiplayer modes and most story DLC is usually free or things that were intended to be in the original game but wasn't finished in time.
Yeah, it's just a way for companies to milk every penny they can get out of consumers in my eyes.

What used to be unlockables before is sold as premium content and worst of all said content is made before the game's release or even held back. The worst part about it is when you end up spending more money on DLC then you did the vanilla game.

Personally if I made a game I would make any extra content after the game's release free. That, IMO is what should be done.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Personally if I made a game I would make any extra content after the game's release free. That, IMO is what should be done.
At the same time that can't just be done.
Things like maps ought to be free. But DLC like Bloodborne: Old Hunters and Witcher 3: Blood & Wine are gonna have to cost a bit because of how big they are.
Characters are a grey area. On one hand it's a ***** to balance them. On the other it makes it easier on the community if the character is free because all players get to use them.

The trade off to free dlc is microtransactions (See: Halo 5 and Overwatch) because the developers have to get paid somehow. I don't have an issue on MTs provided they're reasonable and are for things that aren't really going to affect gameplay (Halo 5 and Overwatch as such are fine).

The biggest issue is **** like pre-order bonus DLC that regular buyers would have to cough up extra for AT LAUNCH to get a complete game.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
At the same time that can't just be done.
Things like maps ought to be free. But DLC like Bloodborne: Old Hunters and Witcher 3: Blood & Wine are gonna have to cost a bit because of how big they are.
Characters are a grey area. On one hand it's a ***** to balance them. On the other it makes it easier on the community if the character is free because all players get to use them.

The trade off to free dlc is microtransactions (See: Halo 5 and Overwatch) because the developers have to get paid somehow. I don't have an issue on MTs provided they're reasonable and are for things that aren't really going to affect gameplay (Halo 5 and Overwatch as such are fine).

The biggest issue is **** like pre-order bonus DLC that regular buyers would have to cough up extra for AT LAUNCH to get a complete game.

Yeah, development costs are one thing but i'm thinking more among the lines of company's holding back.

As for pre-order bonus's, that reminds me of Goro being a pre-order bonus in MKX.

Top Bottom