• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you want to see removed from gaming

D

Deleted member

How I feel about graphics:

Gameplay>>>>>>>>Graphics
I feel the same way. People have been ******* about graphics and think it's the best aspect of a video game when it's really not. This is why I'm starting to lose faith on what is known as the "modern gamer".

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I feel the same way. People have been ******* about graphics and think it's the best aspect of a video game when it's really not. This is why I'm starting to lose faith on what is known as the "modern gamer".
It's not the best, but I'd argue it's a pretty important part. If done correctly, a higher graphical fidelity can lead to a more immersive experience. Still it's first and foremost about the gameplay. I remember buying Crysis 1 solely for the graphics only to find it's not a game I particularly enjoy. But I also played Skyrim and modded the hell out of it's graphics because even the tiniest little detail made the world feel more immersive, which lead to a more enjoyable experience. I honestly feel people are to quick to right off graphics as a bad thing.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I blame the 7th generation since that's when HD graphics became more important somehow. Besides, not all games with pretty graphics have good gameplay. *cough* Sonic 06 *cough*

D

Deleted member

I blame the 7th generation since that's when HD graphics became more important somehow. Besides, not all games with pretty graphics have good gameplay. *cough* Sonic 06 *cough*
I also blame it on the seventh generation for the same reason as you. Mostly because the PlayStation 3's processing power was apparently too much for the graphic ****** to handle.

And agreed.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
The problem is, from a business perspective, graphics sell more then gameplay for some reason. Probably because games are being marketed towards the widest possible audience instead of people who actually want to play video games.

This is implying that Sonic '06 was pretty in any way.

If I were drinking a beverage right now, it would currently be either all over my screen or coming out of my nose. Because that's pretty funny.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Sonic 06 doesn't even have pretty graphics; in most places it's bland, and in some it's actually downright disgusting. Anyways, I don't think you can really pinpoint the issue to one generation. For a long time people have been arguing over what games graphics are better, or how this console has more colors. Blast Processing comes to mind.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This is implying that Sonic '06 was pretty in any way.

If I were drinking a beverage right now, it would currently be either all over my screen or coming out of my nose. Because that's pretty funny.
Funny thing, 06 has good CGI cutscenes but the ingame cutscenes are bad. I mean really bad.

And yet it looks better than Sonic Boom

Funny thing, 06 has good CGI cutscenes but the ingame cutscenes are bad. I mean really bad.

And yet it looks better than Sonic Boom
The CG cutscenes look fine, until Sonic and his horrifying friends burst onto the screen. Sonic Boom has a coherent art style, at the very least.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The CG cutscenes look fine, until Sonic and his horrifying friends burst onto the screen. Sonic Boom has a coherent art style, at the very least.
As someone who grew up with Sonic Adventure and Sonic X, seeing Sonic with realistic looking humans is honestly okay with me. Tbh I sorta prefer it.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
As someone who grew up with Sonic Adventure and Sonic X, seeing Sonic with realistic looking humans is honestly okay with me. Tbh I sorta prefer it.
Humans in the Sonic world is fine

if they looked like this

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Humans in the Sonic world is fine

if they looked like this
I like it, but I still prefer the more anime/realistic approach to humans, like in Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06, and The Black Knight. Looks jarring to some, but again, I grew up with it so I'm cool.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I like it, but I still prefer the more anime/realistic approach to humans, like in Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, 06, and The Black Knight. Looks jarring to some, but again, I grew up with it so I'm cool.
The humans in games like Black Knight & 06 eerily fall into the uncanny valley, though. I mean, they look like they come from a completely different video game series and I'm not okay with it.

Heck, they even tried to make Dr. Eggman look like an actual person and he just looks creepy as a result.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
To be fair, Sonic does go into a different world in Black Knight and Secret Rings.

FoxwolfJackson

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I have trouble narrowing it down to one thing, as I feel there are two things that I feel have an adverse effect on gaming. I'll be using my favorite franchise, Fire Emblem, as an example, since it is a horrible embodiment of both problems.

The first would be the anime-fication of video games. Not that I have anything against anime, but it seems that games have had some kind of catering to the anime themes than ever before. Characters in Fire Emblem Awakening have been nothing more than walking tropes (especially characters like Inigo, Severa, Noire) or weirdness for weirdness's sake (Gaius and his candy, Kellam and his invisibility). I miss when these things were a subtle background thing about them rather than an in-your-face character trait. It's almost like how Tales of Symphonia's characters was massacred by exaggeration in its sequel (that many will refuse to acknowledge). If you need further proof, just look at the crossover game. That game looks like nothing more than some kind of vocaloid, j-pop video that belongs in some new iteration of Persona, rather than something that was a good crossover of the respective franchises of Shin Megami Tensei (dark themes, moral controversy) and Fire Emblem (deep characterization, fighting for what was right, coming from behind, growing as a person).

The second would be the horribly excessive customization. Nothing annoyed me more than seeing everyone in Awakening be gods (and yes, I'm aware that the final boss is a god unto himself) with constant class changing, maxing out stats, horribly OP skill combos (General Lucina as a child with +STR Robin/Chrom with Pavise, Aegis, Lethality, Limit Break, and Rightful King). Series that had customization, such as Etrian Odyssey and Final Fantasy Tactics, were fine with customization, but Fire Emblem is a series about resource management. You weren't just managing the army's funds and limited experience pool, but you were managing who you wanted to raise based upon a set class and skillset and growths that were given to you. You were a *strategist* and had to use *strategy* to succeed.

Granted, this has probably morphed more into a rant than a discussion, but I just feel that these two elements really seem to have taken charm out of my favorite series and, to some degree, other series out there that I've come to enjoy.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Microtransactions would be nice. Especially on games that already cost $60 if not more with DLC.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The fact that it costs anything is appalling... You can trace the endless terrible DLC to the birth of cosmetic DLC.
You mean something that takes resources to create costing anything is appalling? Again, it's cosmetic, I'm not seeing the problem.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You mean something that takes resources to create costing anything is appalling? Again, it's cosmetic, I'm not seeing the problem.
Most of these costumes you buy should realistically cost like five cents and it'd still turn a profit... Most of them are made up during development and sold later rather then being, oh say, an unlockable.

Last edited:
Most of these costumes you buy should realistically cost like five cents and it'd still turn a profit... Most of them are made up during development and sold later rather then being, oh say, an unlockable.
Well, kinda. As I understand it, art is usually the first thing that's actually finished. There's a long period of development that is just like, programming and all that. So artists have nothing better to do other than sit around making some extra assets. I have a feeling that implementing extra costumes is a pretty low priority when everyone's super busy trying to refine the actual game as much as possible in time for launch, so it makes more sense to worry about that stuff after everything else is wrapped up.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Okay... I understand the issue with a full priced $40 - $60 game, but something f2p or $20? Nope, no issue there

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, kinda. As I understand it, art is usually the first thing that's actually finished. There's a long period of development that is just like, programming and all that. So artists have nothing better to do other than sit around making some extra assets. I have a feeling that implementing extra costumes is a pretty low priority when everyone's super busy trying to refine the actual game as much as possible in time for launch, so it makes more sense to worry about that stuff after everything else is wrapped up.
From my understanding it's the opposite. Artists and model creators constantly have to make fixes and changes.

Okay... I understand the issue with a full priced $40 - $60 game, but something f2p or $20? Nope, no issue there
Overpriced is overpriced. Never once is it exceptable.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Overpriced is overpriced. Never once is it exceptable.
Meh, I'll just agree to disagree. I mean, you're talking to someone who bought every bit of DLC for Guilty Gear Xrd (which are just costumes, system voices, and three characters, one of which is unlocking through storymode) and doesn't regret a penny.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Sorry for the late reply.

What if it's only cosmetics?
I don't mean like that. I mean the cheap "Pay 2 Win" crap that seems to be popping up in AAA games recently. A good example being Dead Space 3 actively forcing you to wait on a real timer for parts to make a weapon, or MKX putting in "easy fatalities" because heaven forbid I have to learn how to play my $60 game.

And even in non AAA gaming you get crappy "free to play" games that constantly whittle you down in order to get a cheap buck. Candy Crush is one of the many great examples of this, where you have to wait thirty minutes at the least in order to play the stupid game.

Last edited:

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
To be fair with mobile/facebook games that are free to play like Candy Crush micro transactions are a major portion of their profit. They are pretty much the reason they can make those games free to play because they know there'll be lots of people out there who can't help themselves and will pour money into it. It's not like you absolutely have to pay to play those games. My mom is kinda addicted to Candy Crush and loads of other facebook games but she absolutely refuses to pay them a cent because she's perfectly content with waiting. And even then those kinds of games are meant to be enjoyed in short bursts. A lot of people just lack self control when it comes to micro transactions. It's all a business thing. Sure some people might not like it but if people continue to pour more money into micro transactions there's no reason to stop. The Pokemon Company even hopped into that bandwagon, just look at Pokemon Shuffle. [And Pokemon Go could very easily turn out that way as well, because it works.]

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
To be fair with mobile/facebook games that are free to play like Candy Crush micro transactions are a major portion of their profit. They are pretty much the reason they can make those games free to play because they know there'll be lots of people out there who can't help themselves and will pour money into it. It's not like you absolutely have to pay to play those games. My mom is kinda addicted to Candy Crush and loads of other facebook games but she absolutely refuses to pay them a cent because she's perfectly content with waiting. And even then those kinds of games are meant to be enjoyed in short bursts. A lot of people just lack self control when it comes to micro transactions. It's all a business thing. Sure some people might not like it but if people continue to pour more money into micro transactions there's no reason to stop. The Pokemon Company even hopped into that bandwagon, just look at Pokemon Shuffle. [And Pokemon Go could very easily turn out that way as well, because it works.]
I feel like Microtransactions in a mobile game doesn't hurt anyone and really is only on you for buying anything.

The Microtransactions I'm and people are always complaining about is paying $60 full price for a game then having to pay extra money for most stuff that should have been in the base game.

Even then, it's not the worst thing with gaming.

That goes to singleplayer games getting shafted for multiplayer. Resident Evil (even then they got it right), CoD/Battlefield and recently Pokemon considering they don't care about adding a post game when multiplayer only matters

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
"Hardcore" gamers
Yeah, talking about gamers in hardcore/casual terms bugs me a bit, particularly when people associate certain genres of games with one category or the other or diss "casual" gamers for ruining gaming or whatever. I don't have many opportunities to talk about games offline, so it's frustrating to encounter a bunch of divisive rhetoric about who is and isn't a "hardcore" gamer when I look at gaming communities online. I kind of wish we could all just get along, haha.

Hmm... As for something else to add to the growing list of stuff to remove from gaming, I guess my pick would be sexualized outfits for female characters. They're totally unnecessary and seem like weird pandering to me. I think they can detract from otherwise good games, especially ones that try to have an involved story and/or have prominent female characters, and as such I'd like for there to be fewer of them in games going forward.

I feel like stuff like that contribute to making games and gaming communities seem like a "boys only club" too, though that's a whole other kettle of fish that I probably shouldn't go into in this post.

Last edited:

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, talking about gamers in hardcore/casual terms bugs me a bit, particularly when people associate certain genres of games with one category or the other or diss "casual" gamers for ruining gaming or whatever. I don't have many opportunities to talk about games offline, so it's frustrating to encounter a bunch of divisive rhetoric about who is and isn't a "hardcore" gamer when I look at gaming communities online. I kind of wish we could all just get along, haha.

Hmm... As for something else to add to the growing list of stuff to remove from gaming, I guess my pick would be sexualized outfits for female characters. They're totally unnecessary and seem like weird pandering to me. I think they can detract from otherwise good games, especially ones that try to have an involved story and/or have prominent female characters, and as such I'd like for there to be fewer of them in games going forward.

I feel like stuff like that contribute to making games and gaming communities seem like a "boys only club" too, though that's a whole other kettle of fish that I probably shouldn't go into in this post.
Really though?
What's the actual point of getting rid of sexualized characters, though? Surely a good game is even better if it's "exciting"?
If I'm gonna be playing a game for hours, I'd rather be looking at an attractive woman than not.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Really though?
What's the actual point of getting rid of sexualized characters, though? Surely a good game is even better if it's "exciting"?
If I'm gonna be playing a game for hours, I'd rather be looking at an attractive woman than not.
Because I don't see Smashboards as the best place to discuss this issue, I'll leave it this at it's most basic, it's not necessary.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Should be fine to talk about it generally with all the innuendo I always see floating around here...

I'm fine with it as long as the proportions aren't ridiculous and the clothes at least make sense for the character. Like you have Palutena, who's pretty "perfect" but she's an actual goddess. Samus pre OM always seemed fairly reasonable as far as a far-future physically fit individual goes. When you have stuff like the lvl 100 armor or whatever basically being a bikini or every single female being "well above average" at minimum it's really distracting... Uh, not in a good way. :p

At the same time, you also want to make your characters distinct. A 13yo should look 13 and a 20yo should look 20. No, not everybody develops the same way... But again, keep it reasonable. The guys should really look like guys too. Like in Splatoon I was weirded out for awhile because I thought the boy Inklings were girls... (Yaknow, along with the squids and the ink I was getting weird messages. <.<)

finalark

SNORLAX
I swear to god if I play another triple A game where I have to walk slowly next to an NPC while he dumps a ton of exposition on me I'm going to go insane.

We need to go back to traditional cut scenes. Having my character move at agonizingly slow speeds while a bot rambles on pulls me out of the experience and ends up being much less engaging than a short clip would be. I usually end up twirling my characters in a circle until the scene ends since there's almost never any way to position them in a way that's believable.

Top Bottom