• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you want to see removed from gaming

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
Microtransactions aren't really the problem. The issue is that they've reached an INSANE point. But having the option to buy a little boost or something is fine in my opinion. The current model of needing to pay to do anything in a game( Especially mobile games ) is a problem though.

Let's Plays are fine though. I see nothing wrong with them, and it's great that people get to make some cash doing what they love, and it's a great way for people to experience games on systems they don't own, or that they just don't have the money to buy without resorting to piracy. Of course it pales in comparison to actually playing the game for yourself, and personally I don't really enjoy Let's Plays that much, but I don't think they're evil or anything.

As for what I'd like to be rid of...
Bark text. I don't mind if all the conversation is text-based, and I don't mind full voiceovers, but bark text... I don't like hearing the character say "Hey!" when they're really saying a huge speech or whatever. It just doesn't work.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
As for what I'd like to be rid of...
Bark text. I don't mind if all the conversation is text-based, and I don't mind full voiceovers, but bark text... I don't like hearing the character say "Hey!" when they're really saying a huge speech or whatever. It just doesn't work.
FEA must be the worst game ever created in your opinion. Grats on being the first person to feel that way for a reason other than being a fanboy, thinking the game is too easy, or thinking that waifuism is cancer. Not that I can't agree with every single point there.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Have you even watched Angry Joe or JonTron? The fact that their videos are even remotely entertaining is a miracle given that they're often written, direction and edited all by a single individual.
They're not though.

As someone who has dappled in video editing as a hobby I can confirm that it's no easy task.
lol.

As someone who works in television and film I'd figure you'd at least be able to appreciate that.
No I can't. It's poor quality stuff.

What's wrong with Twitch?
Everything

I hate the whole YouTube and twitch scene. That Jimmy Kimmel video that just came out that has everyone butthurt? It speaks volumes. Why do people want to watch other people playing games for hours on end? Play the game yourself. I mean, if you're watching EVO or something, that's cool. But why do so many tune in to watch some random guy play Super Mario Sunshine? Play it yourself.

"It's their personalities"

They're all the same. They overplay themselves purposely, or either they have some serious problems. Of course, the people that have some serious problems are the ones that actually donate to the streams.

As for Youtubers, I think it's sad. So sad. I also think that making money off of Youtube for playing a video game is...

That is a new level of absurdity.

"Waaah Nintendo is taking the money from people making videos about nintendo games!!"

Good. It's their property. That's their game.

"But it's the uploader's video!"

They put in a bad thumbnail and bad commentary. The game was designed, programmed, and so forth by Nintendo. The way I see it, they did most of the work.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
They're not though.

lol.

No I can't. It's poor quality stuff.

Everything

I hate the whole YouTube and twitch scene. That Jimmy Kimmel video that just came out that has everyone butthurt? It speaks volumes. Why do people want to watch other people playing games for hours on end? Play the game yourself. I mean, if you're watching EVO or something, that's cool. But why do so many tune in to watch some random guy play Super Mario Sunshine? Play it yourself.

"It's their personalities"

They're all the same. They overplay themselves purposely, or either they have some serious problems. Of course, the people that have some serious problems are the ones that actually donate to the streams.

As for Youtubers, I think it's sad. So sad. I also think that making money off of Youtube for playing a video game is...

That is a new level of absurdity.

"Waaah Nintendo is taking the money from people making videos about nintendo games!!"

Good. It's their property. That's their game.

"But it's the uploader's video!"

They put in a bad thumbnail and bad commentary. The game was designed, programmed, and so forth by Nintendo. The way I see it, they did most of the work.
"They're all the same. They overplay themselves purposely, or either they have some serious problems. Of course, the people that have some serious problems are the ones that actually donate to the streams."
What, have you watched 5 streamers before?
People watch the streamer for the community and streamer themself, not for the game. (90% of the time)
The people who donate watch the stream and enjoy the personality behind the stream, so they donate to the person so the person can keep themselves alive. That's not horrible. (Sure, people donate 100s to ti77y (censored if I don't, sorry) streamers, but at least half of their donations get refunded.)
That's the only thing you actually said about twitch, besides "everything (also pronounced: I actually have no idea what I'm saying)".
There's a whole lot of youtubers I don't like, sure. There's really good youtubers who upload enjoyable, enthralling, amazing, etc. gameplay and commentaries.

Your reply of "lol." just screams "'I have no idea what to say" in the exact same way that "Everything" does.
People making money off of their hobbies isn't horrible. It's great. They're doing what they love and either doing it full time or supporting their working income.
My honest opinion?
You're just doing this because it makes you seem cool and contrary.

Last edited:

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
FEA must be the worst game ever created in your opinion. Grats on being the first person to feel that way for a reason other than being a fanboy, thinking the game is too easy, or thinking that waifuism is cancer. Not that I can't agree with every single point there.
I actually rather like Fire Emblem. It's got a lot of really neat stuff in it, and the permanent character death is one of my favorites. I'm not going to let a petty thing like that stop me from enjoying a great game.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
I actually rather like Fire Emblem. It's got a lot of really neat stuff in it, and the permanent character death is one of my favorites. I'm not going to let a petty thing like that stop me from enjoying a great game.
Fire Emblem as a series is fantastic, but Awakening is a disgrace.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
The only Let's Play I ever enjoyed was a horror version of Animal Crossing. It made me think that an LP was retelling or re-interpreting a game. It was not. I've tried watching some LPs, for games I don't own, but I find them boring. They're just far too long and nobody can be entertaining for that long. I've never liked watching others play video games, either - reminds me of that one childhood pal who never lets you play his stuff. It's just not for me.

I do take perverse pleasure in watching DSP's MGS LPs, if only because of how hilariously bad he is at understanding the basis of the game. "Why can't I run and gun?!?"

This is more an issue with gaming culture than gaming. Otherwise, day 1 DLC, microtransactions, always online, the usual perps.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't see the problem in watching others game... Better then most TV shows nowadays anyway.

I'm sick of non-free DLC. (So updates are fine, and locking things behind non-absurd time barriers is fine.) 99% of it is garbage, overpriced, or some combination. I'd gladly give up all the good DLC just to nuke out the bad.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Most of what I don't like nowadays has already been addressed (microtransactions, on-disc DLC, etc.), but if there's one other thing that I think needs to go, it's annual releases.
Yes, I get it. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Madden, etc. are all very enjoyable to play, but we really don't need a new installment every year, especially in a market that's over-saturated with those kind of games. I really think there's not enough new/different things in these games to justify 5-7 installments in a single generation. If they did do something like that to give me a different experience every time, I'd be all for it, but most of them have stayed the same, for the most part. It's a trend that has gotten way too old, but, unfortunately, it's probably not gonna go away anytime soon since people keep getting suckered into it.

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Most of what I don't like nowadays has already been addressed (microtransactions, on-disc DLC, etc.), but if there's one other thing that I think needs to go, it's annual releases.
Yes, I get it. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Madden, etc. are all very enjoyable to play, but we really don't need a new installment every year, especially in a market that's over-saturated with those kind of games. I'm probably gonna get some hate for saying this, but I really think there's not enough new/different things in these games to justify 5-7 installments in a single generation. If they did do something like that to give me a different experience every time, I'd be all for it, but most of them have stayed the same, for the most part. It's a trend that has gotten way too old, but, unfortunately, it's probably not gonna go away anytime soon since people keep getting suckered into it.
I think that Madden is pretty justified in having a yearly release. I mean, players change and such. Otherwise, games don't really need all the installments they get.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I think that Madden is pretty justified in having a yearly release. I mean, players change and such. Otherwise, games don't really need all the installments they get.
I don't really play sports games, but I do see your point.

Speaking of, wasn't there an installment in which the only thing changed from the previous one was the title? I remember seeing an article about that a year or two ago...

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
"They're all the same. They overplay themselves purposely, or either they have some serious problems. Of course, the people that have some serious problems are the ones that actually donate to the streams."
What, have you watched 5 streamers before?
People watch the streamer for the community and streamer themself, not for the game. (90% of the time)
The people who donate watch the stream and enjoy the personality behind the stream, so they donate to the person so the person can keep themselves alive. That's not horrible. (Sure, people donate 100s to ti77y (censored if I don't, sorry) streamers, but at least half of their donations get refunded.)
That's the only thing you actually said about twitch, besides "everything (also pronounced: I actually have no idea what I'm saying)".
Which is sad. I honestly don't see why I or anyone would donate money to someone just so they can play more video games. Maybe if they came in a fixed my sink I would. But twitch honestly seems more like a community of suckers.

Also you don't you dare say that there's nothing wrong with donating.

Case and point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEv7KBD55k

So there are a bunch of idiots that give her money because they're basement dwellers and I guess that's the equivalent of sex to them. But see where she's asking for a new place with an "office." Oh yeah? She needs an office? And she needs YOUR money to move out? Wowie! I'm gonna totally help this complete stranger get a new place! It'll help them out for sure! I guess that's my good deed for the day! There wasn't anything better I could spend my money on! I'm so selfless...giving others that need money to play more video games.

There isn't anything better I could donate to.
Nothing at all.

Nothing. At. All.

"

Your reply of "lol." just screams "'I have no idea what to say" in the exact same way that "Everything" does.
People making money off of their hobbies isn't horrible. It's great. They're doing what they love and either doing it full time or supporting their working income.
My honest opinion?
You're just doing this because it makes you seem cool and contrary.
I said lol because I didn't have any polite way to answer. The average effect that's done in*cough* "professional" *cough* YouTube videos...they're easy. And simple. And the maker probably didn't even make them...probably downloaded a plugin for After Effects to automatically do them. What do I mean "probably?" There are a lot of JonTron videos that use Video Co pilot plugins you could easily download and buy.

But even so, I can make effects from the ground up much better that an average YouTuber's in about 20 minutes. I am not kidding.

"But it's low budget!"

With the amount of money the videos generate? That's not an excuse. I am of course only referring to those that make a "career" off of YouTube videos. If YouTube videos truly is a hobby, then whatever.

Regardless, doesn't change my view point of them.

Also I already am cool, thanks for noticing.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I thought it was less about playing video games and more about them entertaining an audience.

Like a comedian.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If people want to spend money on watching people play then by all means go ahead. Not my money.

Can't be worse then the guy willing to pay 1000$ to whoever figures out how to do a glitch in SM64. (It's a glitchy warp upwards in Tick Tock Clock FYI.)

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Thing is, people watch actual good streamers and some of them donate a few bucks. That's completely harmless and if you like the guy behind the stream, then I'm all for donating.
People donate to streamers like the one you linked, but as I said at least 50% of them get refunded.
There's VEEERY few streamers who actually exist for people to watch their gameplay as "the experience" of the stream.
It's about the person and the community, not the game.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, people watch actual good streamers and some of them donate a few bucks. That's completely harmless and if you like the guy behind the stream, then I'm all for donating.
People donate to streamers like the one you linked, but as I said at least 50% of them get refunded.
There's VEEERY few streamers who actually exist for people to watch their gameplay as "the experience" of the stream.
It's about the person and the community, not the game.
It's actually hilarious how many of those horrible streamers get donated lifetimes of cash, freak out, and then have it refunded.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Bad/Rushed PC ports. We all know how well Arkham Knight went...

Games at <60fps. 60 used to be the standard, why did it ever change?

Platform Exclusives. I know I'm going to get hate for this, but seriously, why can't we all just agree that having one unified system, or being able to play anything on your system of choice is a bad thing?

Shovelware. I think we'd all be glad to see bad games that are clearly intended to make money go.

Bad/Rushed PC ports. We all know how well Arkham Knight went...
Thankfully these are becoming less and less common, but you still get some catastrophes like Arkham Knight.
Games at <60fps. 60 used to be the standard, why did it ever change?
This is one of a few reasons I switched to playing stuff primarily on PC. 60 FPS on a console is a rarity these days, unfortunately. I figure developers assume most people don't actually care about frame rates (and they'd be right), so they focus more on graphics.

Miikon

Smash Cadet
I would remove gameplay element hidden behind a paywall (microtransactions and on-disc DLC)
Community-wise, I would remove reviewers who praise games with a good story/ "realistic" cutscenes/ 1080p 60fps graphics and average gameplay more than games with great gameplay and average story etc.. e.g. "Last of us" reviewers.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Platform Exclusives. I know I'm going to get hate for this, but seriously, why can't we all just agree that having one unified system, or being able to play anything on your system of choice is a bad thing?
The only reason to play on consoles at this point is for exclusives. Overpriced, under-specced 20-30fps machines aren't desirable in any way. Consoles exist to compete. If they didn't, they'd have no purpose.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Thankfully these are becoming less and less common, but you still get some catastrophes like Arkham Knight.

This is one of a few reasons I switched to playing stuff primarily on PC. 60 FPS on a console is a rarity these days, unfortunately. I figure developers assume most people don't actually care about frame rates (and they'd be right), so they focus more on graphics.
Unfortunately, even PC games get locked at 30FPS cause it's "cinematic" or whatever.
At least most of them can be unlocked with .ini files.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, even PC games get locked at 30FPS cause it's "cinematic" or whatever.
At least most of them can be unlocked with .ini files.
There's only a few cases I know of, like The Evil Within, but the community got so pissed that it got fixed eventually.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
If you were to look up the "Framerate Police" on Steam, you'll see that there are quite a few.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I dunno man, I liked Leon and Helena's campaign...
Leon and Ada had the best campaigns, but it's just not enough of the game, y'know? Chris's campaign was a complete drag for me, but Sherry's is at least a close second (and introducing Jake wasn't that bad of an idea, I'd like to see more of him + Sherry in the future). If the whole game had the atmosphere of Leon's, puzzles of Ada's, mixed with the added shock of Ustanak chasing you down on occasion, I'd accept that with open arms, even if there were only 2-3 protagonists.

I could play co-op Mercenaries for a good while, though. That's one of the best things about these later REs. Local co-op is a blast.

At least Revelations exists! It's just a lot freakier when there aren't as many enemies and you're practically isolated, even with a partner (because they're never around, really)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm in the camp that actually liked Resident Evil 6 despite it having a ton of issues...
I don't know if this is what you're saying based on how you phrased it @ Nona Nona , but Chris and Sherry's campaigns are my least favorite in RE6. Sherry is just not designed to handle the same **** as Jake. It isn't fair.

Also, something else in the gaming industry I'd like to see stop:

- Big gaming publishers are *****
- Hugely well-known developers get made and leave
- Fund a successful Kickstarter for a game that is a lot like the games they're known for but don't own
- Publishers are left without their most important people / devs are left without being able to work on series they're known for

I suppose if you just care about the games it's not really a bad thing, but it's depressing nonetheless.

Last edited:

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I'm in the camp that actually liked Resident Evil 6 despite it having a ton of issues...
I don't know if this is what you're saying based on how you phrased it @ Nona Nona , but Chris and Sherry's campaigns are my least favorite in RE6. Sherry is just not designed to handle the same **** as Jake. It isn't fair.
Ah, I'm sorry if it didn't make sense. I'll reword it: "Chris's campaign is my least favorite, and Sherry's is my next least favorite".

I like Resident Evil 6 as a game, just not as a Resident Evil title. If it had a different name I'd probably have a different opinion on it.

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I'm sorry if it didn't make sense. I'll reword it: "Chris's campaign is my least favorite, and Sherry's is my next least favorite".

I like Resident Evil 6 as a game, just not as a Resident Evil title. If it had a different name I'd probably have a different opinion on it.
Can I add people like you to my list of things that need removed?( 'Course that's a wee bit harsh, no hard feelings, but y'know, SPIRIT OF THE THREAD )

A good game is a good game. I agree it's a touch annoying when one game in a series doesn't fit in at all with the rest, but that shouldn't soil your opinion of the individual game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Okay, I did hear it right. Totally agree.
Can I add people like you to my list of things that need removed?( 'Course that's a wee bit harsh, no hard feelings, but y'know, SPIRIT OF THE THREAD )

A good game is a good game. I agree it's a touch annoying when one game in a series doesn't fit in at all with the rest, but that shouldn't soil your opinion of the individual game.
I agree, however, it alienates fans when a series undergoes a radical change like that. It's totally understandable they'd appreciate it more if it was a different IP.
Especially when said game promises to be the horror game that the fans have been wanting for years and then...it isn't.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
+6 sass&thread points:4wario:

It's alright to think that (and you're not wrong, but RE6 has a bit of an identity crisis because it tried to please everyone, at the least RE5 knew what it was and went through with it the whole game)

I get that this stuff is what sells, though. Nobody I've heard of misses tank controls.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039

But at the same time, people return to a long running franchise expecting a certain thing, something for them to look forward to. So when it finally comes and they don't get it, of course some of them are gonna get miffed.

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
Especially when said game promises to be the horror game that the fans have been wanting for years and then...it isn't.
Oh yeah... the ad campaign for RE6 was WAY overhyping it. But, that's their job. Sell games.

I get that this stuff is what sells, though. Nobody I've heard of misses tank controls.
Hmmm.... actually you might be on to something there. If they could polish it up a bit, I wouldn't mind a return to classic controls. Maybe at least let you move backwards.

Top Bottom