• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you want to see removed from gaming

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Hmmm.... actually you might be on to something there. If they could polish it up a bit, I wouldn't mind a return to classic controls. Maybe at least let you move backwards.
I guess it makes sense they moved on from classic controls because of the focus on hordes. A lot of people get satisfaction from mowing down swarms and the old REs weren't really about fighting every enemy you came across (and you weren't as heavily rewarded for doing so)

I miss tank controls.
You're the first one I've met :) You should have seen me panic with those tank controls and run into Nemesis instead of away. But I'd take tank controls over QTE cutscenes tbh. I'm not really a big fan of those because I tend to forget about them and I die because I was reaching over to get a drink and couldn't react fast enough with a soda in hand :(

Now that I think about it a bit more, it's a sequel and not a rehash so it's understandable they'd try to add and subtract features to make each new installment feel like a new game (new consoles can handle more features so it's probably a "why not" kinda thing?). Gameplay comes first before story and so on. If there's anything from RE6 I'd like to see implemented in the RE2 remake, it's probably RE.net compatibility since it's basically free DLC that rewards you for playing.

I don't want to be a purist that can't move on ;_;

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I love RE.net, I like how all the games are connected and you're rewarded for being a Resident Evil fanboy. Perfect for me! :D
I wish Resident Evil 0 icons would hurry up and get added though...

Well, when I say "tank controls" I just mean the general old school RE games. But I think that was obvious :chuckle:
On a similar subject.

Publishers turning horror games into action shooters. Yeah, no more please.
I think Capcom are learning their lesson with Revelations and RE2 being remade (and the remastered REmake and RE0), but we'll probably never see Dead Space or Silent Hill return to form.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
At this point I'm doubtful we'll ever see Silent Hill again period.

As for Dead Space, well, I'm holding out for the devs to eventually quit EA to try and get Lifeless Vacuum crowdfunded.
That's what I was implying with Silent Hill. ;)/:urg:
Yeah we should get Lifeless Vacuum, but not before we get Quiet Mountain (actually if this wasn't obviously based on "Silent Hill" it would work as a horror game title XD).
But yeah, Revelations series gives a split of horror and light action...
While the remasters and the RE2 remake (!!!) cover the crowd that just want the former.
All things considered now is a good time to be a Resident Evil fan.

Also, I know it was mentioned already, but I actually saw the "Augment Your Pre-Order" thing through Jimquisition.
Just...no.
That's awful.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
At this point I'm doubtful we'll ever see Silent Hill again period.
I was hyped for Silent Hills but now I want it removed from my memory so I can no longer be sad about it's cancellation.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
- Holding off on content to release it as DLC later and rush forward release dates
- Online passes
- "Free to Play" games that are really just money scams like Final Fantasy: All The Bravest
- Not something in games themselves, but 'fans' that are "graphics wh---s"
- Series that have sequels every 6-12 months (i.e. Assassin's Creed, COD, etc)
- "Season's passes" for games and DLC (depending on how it's done since some ways are actually done fine)
- Games without physical releases

I'm sure there's a bunch more, but those just come to mind.

D

Deleted member

Amiibos.
If I wanted a special fighter to train or a certain costume, I would buy it as dlc.

Last edited by a moderator:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Amiibos.
If I wanted a special fighter to train or a certain costume, I would buy it as dlc.
Sure, but DLC doesn't also give you a cool action figure to make your friends jealous!

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Most definitely micro-transactions.

I hate P2W and all everything related so much.

There is a few games out there that don't shove micro-transactions down your throat, but that is far and few in between.

Also, overly long cutscenes. Especially ones that go on for more than twenty minutes. Trust me, games like that exist.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Most definitely micro-transactions.
Also, overly long cutscenes. Especially ones that go on for more than twenty minutes. Trust me, games like that exist.
That in itself doesn't bug me, what bugs me is when they're unskippable, and/or start right after a checkpoint, so everytime you die you have to watch it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Fortunately, I think this specific case has long since past.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Ah, I actually forgot about this one:
Games that reward people for losing and punish the winners infuriate me.
(Mario Kart, etc.)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I understand comeback mechanics. Some are brilliant (rage, albit being a comeback mechanic is more of a side-effect) but others are just infuriating (rubberbanding CPUs, like pre-MK7 CPUs). MK's items (also as of MK7) are my favorite part of the series and couldn't imagine it being fun without it since I cann't stand most traditional racers.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
In-app purchases that allow access to full gameplay are ridiculous. I mean, micro transactions are terrible as they are, but ones that must be purchased to finish a game seem unfair.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
Games forcing online multiplayer at the expense of local multiplayer. Lately, I can't even count the number of games whose multi is online only, with no gameplay justification, and it infuriates me.

The worst offender is Splatoon which I wouldn't even have bought if I had suspected that local was not even possible. I didn't even play it, cause I intended to... you know... play with my friends?
To me it was so obvious that I would be able to play offline...
Isn't that the whole point of a console : being able to play with 4 people on the same machine?
Isn't video game about playing with friends? Random strangers doesn't cut it for me.
So many games forget that, and when a game like towerfall has no online, people complain. For once we have a well designed local !

Also : is split-screen a feature that developers have forgotten lately?

And the PS4 making offline multiplayer a pain (logging in with an account for each player? seriously?) is making me worry of the future

This was my rant :)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Games forcing online multiplayer at the expense of local multiplayer. Lately, I can't even count the number of games whose multi is online only, with no gameplay justification, and it infuriates me.

The worst offender is Splatoon which I wouldn't even have bought if I had suspected that local was not even possible. I didn't even play it, cause I intended to... you know... play with my friends?
To me it was so obvious that I would be able to play offline...
Isn't that the whole point of a console : being able to play with 4 people on the same machine?
Isn't video game about playing with friends? Random strangers doesn't cut it for me.
So many games forget that, and when a game like towerfall has no online, people complain. For once we have a well designed local !

Also : is split-screen a feature that developers have forgotten lately?

And the PS4 making offline multiplayer a pain (logging in with an account for each player? seriously?) is making me worry of the future

This was my rant :)
Thing is that it's not feasible for Splatoon to have local multiplayer. You can only have two gamepads hooked up to a Wii U, max, and it doesn't seem like they're ever going to make a game that does with how expensive gamepads are.

Pro controllers aren't a proper replacement since the second screen is a major part of the game. You need a proper full-sized map with touch capability to make use of the super jump mechanic.

So at best you'll have a watered-down version of Splatoon for local play. You'd have to either cut or rebalance a quarter of the weapons to work properly... Rebalancing isn't worth the time.

It's like when people complain about Mario or Starfox not having online play... They're not suited for it at all. Mario would be a lag fest with plenty of other restrictions (like being forced to share a scrolling screen) and Starfox's multiplayer has always been completely shallow. It's not worth Nintendo's time and money.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I'm all for mobile gaming in the future, but it really needs to kinks ironed out. There are too many instances of games where you need to pay in order to accomplish anything. The worse offender for this are paid games that still ask for more money even after you already put some in to get the game in the first place. I'd rather pay like $7 for a well done mobile game instead of getting it for free and paying more than double or triple that amount for small boosts or extra lives.

DLC needs to get fixed up too. Some things are worth being extra content that we pay for, and some is seriously just not. Day one DLC is an awful slap to the face too, that's just insulting.

Basically any instance of companies just sucking money out of their consumers "because they can."

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
Thing is that it's not feasible for Splatoon to have local multiplayer. You can only have two gamepads hooked up to a Wii U, max, and it doesn't seem like they're ever going to make a game that does with how expensive gamepads are.

Pro controllers aren't a proper replacement since the second screen is a major part of the game. You need a proper full-sized map with touch capability to make use of the super jump mechanic.

So at best you'll have a watered-down version of Splatoon for local play. You'd have to either cut or rebalance a quarter of the weapons to work properly... Rebalancing isn't worth the time.

It's like when people complain about Mario or Starfox not having online play... They're not suited for it at all. Mario would be a lag fest with plenty of other restrictions (like being forced to share a scrolling screen) and Starfox's multiplayer has always been completely shallow. It's not worth Nintendo's time and money.
I played Splatoon like 15 minutes, and that was only wandering around the lobby trying to find where was the multiplayer offline so I'll believe you there, though they could have used 3DS (and stop that stupid limitation of gamepad per wii U). But you have to admit that your comparison is a bit unfair :)

But really, the way I feel is they could have worked around that, and it is only after they had decided that this would be online that they added these constraints. The same way I felt about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle, which was a fantastic game, but could have worked very well without requiring 5 consoles for 4 players :D

I mean : this was advertised and teased as "the mario kart of shooting games" for months. Can you even imagine mario kart without offline?

My rant was that I really dislike those games that are online focused because to me that defeats the whole point of what I like in video games, and it makes games that are short-lived.
I mean : I am currently playing Seiken Densetsu 2 with my GF. Will Splatoon still even work in 2035?

But I get the appeal of these games, it is just that it is becoming far too common to forego offline multiplayer entirely with no reason.
Crash commando was a big disapointment also.
I remember playing it solo, and thought "this game looks fun"... only to find out that there is no multiplayer for no reason

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I hear the reason for ditching local multiplayer is that it's a trade-off to maintain the high visuals and framerate that is "expected" of games these days.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Day 1 DLC and Preorder culture needs to step off; if content is advertised long before the street date hits, that content needs to be available to the customer without them needing to pay more money up front for the essential complete experience. That type of business gives DLC a worse reputation than it deserves.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I remember a time when people pre-ordered cause they wanted to make sure they got a copy in fear of it selling out.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I played Splatoon like 15 minutes, and that was only wandering around the lobby trying to find where was the multiplayer offline so I'll believe you there, though they could have used 3DS (and stop that stupid limitation of gamepad per wii U). But you have to admit that your comparison is a bit unfair :)

But really, the way I feel is they could have worked around that, and it is only after they had decided that this would be online that they added these constraints. The same way I felt about Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle, which was a fantastic game, but could have worked very well without requiring 5 consoles for 4 players :D

I mean : this was advertised and teased as "the mario kart of shooting games" for months. Can you even imagine mario kart without offline?

My rant was that I really dislike those games that are online focused because to me that defeats the whole point of what I like in video games, and it makes games that are short-lived.
I mean : I am currently playing Seiken Densetsu 2 with my GF. Will Splatoon still even work in 2035?

But I get the appeal of these games, it is just that it is becoming far too common to forego offline multiplayer entirely with no reason.
Crash commando was a big disapointment also.
I remember playing it solo, and thought "this game looks fun"... only to find out that there is no multiplayer for no reason
Well yeah, the constraints came about after the online. But that's because Splatoon was conceived as an online shooter making heavy use of the gamepad. Right from the start proper local multiplayer was pretty much doomed. They could of went the crystal chronicles route if the OG 3DS had a second stick... You pretty much need a recenter button, the gyro and an analog stick to play properly. Even with a second stick they'd be pushing it because you still need a sub weapon button and a special button, and the map would be dinky.

I remember a time when people pre-ordered cause they wanted to make sure they got a copy in fear of it selling out.
I don't mind how Nintendo's pre-order bonuses usually go (stuff like posters and pins and whatnot) but exclusive gameplay stuff is pretty unappealing.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I don't mind how Nintendo's pre-order bonuses usually go (stuff like posters and pins and whatnot) but exclusive gameplay stuff is pretty unappealing.
Oh, you mean like the collector's editions and Limited Edition's and whatnot that, y'know, actually do get sold out.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I hear the reason for ditching local multiplayer is that it's a trade-off to maintain the high visuals and framerate that is "expected" of games these days.
I know that's why Halo 5 dropped Local Multiplayer, which is a shame but understandable. Besides, I personally prefer having my own screen anyways.

Tbh, I find playing split screen to be annoying now. Everything is reduced from graphics, to frame-rate (which does affect the game-play), lowered FOV, etc. I get that the lack of split screen in games lately is bad, but I can't say I mind it too much cause I find online to be so much more convenient. I go to college in New York, my bro in Ohio, one friend in Arizona, and the rest spread all throughout Florida, playing together online is just easier and we can still interact through VOIP like Mumble. And it's really cool to get on a game like Battlefield with nine of your friends and storming an objective together, while split screen is limited to you and 3 others.

Multiplayer games that don't split up the screen are cool though.

Last edited:

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
-micro-transactions
-"free2play"
-focus on graphics. Stop focusing that much on graphics, most games nowadays have good graphics but really bad gameplay. Gameplay should be more important to developers than graphics. This is the one thing which makes me scared that people will get bored off of video games, no need for another video game downfall. It's not like we can't play a game because it isn't super realistic, isn't that what makes games really fun?

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
most games nowadays have good graphics but really bad gameplay.
I have a hard time believing you've played most games with a statement like that.
I could understand saying that you're not enjoying the popular genre's right now, but to say they have "really bad gameplay"? No.

-focus on graphics. Stop focusing that much on graphics, most games nowadays have good graphics but really bad gameplay. Gameplay should be more important to developers than graphics. This is the one thing which makes me scared that people will get bored off of video games, no need for another video game downfall. It's not like we can't play a game because it isn't super realistic, isn't that what makes games really fun?
I'd have say that your fear is horribly misplaced then considering Gaming has such a huge staple in our entertainment. eSports are growing, consoles are selling faster (iirc), and most importantly, we have an entire generation that grew up with video games. To add to it, video games only ever died in America, Europe was still going strong with PC, and Japan was doing fine.

Anyways, I'd say graphics are pretty important to games especially when they lead to new gameplay possibilities. Forza 6 for example is finally adding weather, which means you could race while it's sunny, dark, or during a raging thunderstorm, which is not only more immersive but leads to you having to play completely differently. But the most important change with this is that water can actually accumulate on the track, which changes how you approach the race, couple that with a realistic night and you have a completely different experience.

And Battlefield 4 is getting night maps as free DLC which is being held back solely because last gen consoles can't actually handle them properly. And you may think playing on the same map, but at night wouldn't be a huge change, but it's literally night and day. Everything plays differently and it's a great experience. Actually having a use for flares, shooting out lights equipping IRNV sights, it's cool.

And even in games where the graphics don't actually add new features, it's honestly a joy to see characters looking better than ever before. Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, and 3D World are some of the best looking games on the Wii U. And Guilty Gear Xrd looks so sharp on the PS4 that I'm actually sad that the next BlazBlue isn't using the same art-style.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I put priority on Art style over graphics myself.

If I don't enjoy looking at it, it de-motivates me to keep playing.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I put priority on Art style over graphics myself.

If I don't enjoy looking at it, it de-motivates me to keep playing.
I usually couple them together, since the two can influence each other. The Hedgehog engine is what helped lead to Unleashed's and Generations' art style and I find them to be the best looking Sonic games.

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
I meant that many games don't have much content anymore and mainly focus on graphics, also the thing with the video game downfall was kinda dumb from me to mention lol. I'm just getting disappointed that many games focus on graphics, I mean I don't have anything against graphics combined with gameplay, but many games nowadays only look fancy when in fact they aren't that good imo. I just want them to focus more on gameplay again

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I meant that many games don't have much content anymore and mainly focus on graphics, also the thing with the video game downfall was kinda dumb from me to mention lol. I'm just getting disappointed that many games focus on graphics, I mean I don't have anything against graphics combined with gameplay, but many games nowadays only look fancy when in fact they aren't that good imo. I just want them to focus more on gameplay again
I feel like the graphics issue was a problem since the 4th Generation with the bit wars. Like 8-Bit vs 16-Bit vs 32-Bit vs even 64-Bit (Atari Jaguar).

It's gotten worst every generation to where, unless the game can't render in 4K and 60fps, it's bad. I don't want an ugly looking game but I hate that games focus on the looks moreso than the gameplay. I can just look up renders that are in better quality than just focus on graphics.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I usually couple them together, since the two can influence each other. The Hedgehog engine is what helped lead to Unleashed's and Generations' art style and I find them to be the best looking Sonic games.
Isn't the Hedgehog Engine a physics engine not graphics?

Top Bottom