• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Piece

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it was actually ok when rereading from start-to-finish, it was a lot more coherent than i remembered it

however, it was terrible when you read it chapter by chapter - everything was just so forgettable, nami and hachi had reconciled basically all the problems that would have formed the 'build-up' of which you speak - it was more or less a standard 'strawhats-save-island' thing, except this time it was atlantis with uninteresting bad guys

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think the fishman island arc mostly suffered from very lame, incompetent villains

but that + caesar arcs were setup for the rivalries with big mom and doflamingo soooooo

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Fishman island is fine, like a lot of One Piece arcs, it's better when you're not waiting a week for each chapter.
There's also quite a bit of information in that arc, it's going to have a lasting impact on One Piece's story.
The villains weren't too strong, but it gave the post time skip Straw Hats their first chance to really show off. It's certainly not one of my favorites, but it's still good(there isn't really an arc that I dislike in One Piece), and does what it set out to do.
I know it was a long period ago, but we are talking about Oda, who tends to set up things years in advance; Laboon's first appearance was Chapter 102 in 1999(according to the wiki) and was set up as Brook's backstory even then. Brook's first appearance was Chapter 442 in 2007. That still blows me away.
Let's not forget Rayleigh showing up in one of Buggy's flashbacks, or an early design of Boa Hancock shown around the time the Straw Hats made it to the grand line.
Part of the reason I enjoy One Piece so much is because Oda never forgets anything he sets up, if this was any other shonen there would be so many dropped plot threads.
And because of that, the minor inconsistencies of Shanks' arm and Kuina's death don't really bother me, those stories still serve their purpose well enough.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I could never get into this series as a kid, and now I don't feel like wasting 30% of my life watching/reading it.....

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if any of japanese, english, korean or chinese is your first language, i doubt reading (translated) manga takes even a third the time of watching anime

nessokman

Smash Lord
Just how many chapters is OP up to now?
*googles*
+700 chapters
jhhvuiyuug.jpg
If each chapter is between 10-20 pages, that automatically means 7000-14,000 pages,
The longest series I've read so far is soul eater, (well, buying the manga as it is released in english)
And it isn't near that. I doubt I'd have the patience to read anything that is that long.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
no need to make excuses, just dont read it if you dont think you have the time

good series coax you along until suddenly it's 5am and you realise you didnt get enough sleep for your placement you need to wake up in an hour for, ****

nessokman

Smash Lord
no need to make excuses, just dont read it if you dont think you have the time

good series coax you along until suddenly it's 5am and you realise you didnt get enough sleep for your placement you need to wake up in an hour for, ****
I've got time, I just don't have patience. How I got through 175 episodes of Fairy Tail is beyond me.(Skipped filler arc 125-150)

Well, I guess I won't have time starting next friday, I'm gonna be doing a play for my school :p

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
When is the next chapter coming out?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!???!¿!?!!!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Getting some slight withdrawal.

What're you looking forward to most this arc? With so much going on, what're you most excited about?

As minor as it seems I'm actually kind of intrigued about why exactly Bellamy is loyal to Doflamingo to begin with. After nearly being killed and betrayed by the Joker twice, Bellamy must have some damn good reason to not hate his Captain.

I'm also looking forward to seeing exactly what Usopp's plan is when he comes face to face with Doflamingo...he's seriously outclassed, and only he, Robin, Franky, Luffy, Zoro and Kinemon remain on Dressrosa...

Beat!

Smash Master
What're you looking forward to most this arc?
Law yelling "I WADDA LIBE".

Seriously though, I wanna see Sanji restore some of his former bad-ass glory (Alabasta/Water 7). He's been a comic relief for pretty much the entire post-timeskip period, and while surviving an encounter with Dofla is impressive, it didn't really showcase what he's actually capable of. I just wanna see him beat the **** out of a really strong opponent.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I just want to see if at the end someone is added to the crew (someone not named Kinemon or Momonosuke)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, that is definitely an interesting power to have. Also seemed like DoFla was coming off a bit too cocky...as if he knows what's going to happen only to be in total shock when it all hits him in the face.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I think the only time he's frowned is when Law was making his demands. Maybe when Aokiji froze the **** out of him. Not sure which it was.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So I think Cavendish will fall asleep as a doll and his 2nd personality wont be subject to the rules of not harming people and working for the family.

2: I just had a thought that robin might know a little fishman karate. I am not saying this as a fact but its possible she learned it over the break when with the revolutionaries since koala knows her and seems to be on friendly terms with her.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Sabo used dragon claw!

It's super effective!

Also there must be a way to get out of th mind control, I'm citing toy soldier as an example

nessokman

Smash Lord
I don't get it, why can't One Piece find that treasure? He's been at it for a long time.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Because reasons.

Ans really, Usopp should be more pro-active. His opponent is "a little girl" afterall.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I feel like this arc is moving rather fast (good thing), but it's still going to take forever for it to end. Right now, you got a lot of things happening at once.

1. A tournament going on
2. Toy soldiers fighting.
3. Usopp's crew
4. Luffy and gang have not reached DoFla yet.
5. Franky's fight.
6. Whatever Sanji and Nami are doing
7. Tournament combatants struggling with their toy identities

Oh, is it wrong for me to hope that little girl gets her ass kicked by Usopp and Robin?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Sweet! A One Piece thread! Looks like I've found a new place to hang out on Smash Boards. I'm pretty pumped for tonight.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This guy just got an autolike of mine just because of his SUPER awesome username.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Has anyone read tonight's chapter? It was pretty freaking awesome.

I can't wait to see Zoro vs. Pica! And poor Usoland is going to have to take on Trebol alone. Usopp's fights always end up being awesome, I hope it's like the Usopp of old, outsmarting his opponent.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Best chapter in awhile.

Poor Robin, it must suck to be a toy. I hope Usopp decides to do something useful.

Top Bottom