• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
My wish came true. Ever since mega evolution was announced I ALWAYS wanted Sceptile to mega. No less into the type I WANTED, Grass/Dragon. My favorite Pkemon has another reason to be my favorite.

His ability and design isn't particularily what I had in mind, I wpuld've done something about the bulbs on his back like make them sprout, or give him a crazier face but goddam I CANNOT ask for more.

Some you who have battled me before know I use Sceptile often. Prepare to see him pretty much always(after trying out all the other Pokemon, of course).

I previously wasn't planning to get the game, but now I can't wait!!

EDIT: I'm assuming we can trade X and Y to this game(like all games) and I'm happy I have raised both a physical and special Sceptile, the special one having HP Ice which I'm really happy about. All the 4x weak ice Dragons, including opposing Mega Sceptiles themselves, will FEAR MEEEEE. If Sceptile gets Draco Meteor I will die, btw.

And Lightning Rod. Jesus. Not only is it a good ability, but Sceptile, one of the fastest Pokemon(who will probably be even faster due to MEvo), cannot get paralyzed.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Guys, do note that Groudon/Kyogre are not strictly Mega Evolutions. As Serebii states it:

Groudon & Kyogre's new "Mega Evolutions" are known as Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval Groudon & Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval Kyogre and are said to be a regression called Ancient Devolution.
It sounds to me more like they're along the lines of the "formes" we've seen from Pokemon like Deoxys, Giratina, Shaymin, etc. But it's also possible that these are just fancy names for something that is a different kind of Mega Evolution.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Prediction times:

Mega-Sceptile will have base 150 speed (which is still slower than unburden boosted), and notably boosted special attack making him amazing in doubles with Discharge support!

Mega-Swampert will have more bulk and attack, but no speed increase so his ability will be practically useless competitively.

Primal Groudon and Kyogre will have permanent Rain and Sun abilities, much like their inception.

Mega-Metagross will be a thing and will have Download.

Primal Regigigas will also be a thing, and won't have Slow Start!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Comparing the original trainer art, with the new design, I can address the differences, better.

-For one, the hairstyles are more cartoon-y, especially looking at May's.
-Their hats are similar, but still different in a somewhat disappointing manner. Such as Brendan's iconic hat having less spikes, and May's bandanna being open instead of covering her head. Hopefully, we will have options for the original look. (but I find it rather unlikely)
-I'm not going to go into hair/skin color, as they are customizable and hopefully won't be a problem, when the game releases.
-Their eyes are way too cartoon-y, but it won't be that big of a deal when in their world sprite.
-I won't go too much detail in to the other parts of clothing due to customization. I just hope you can have pants as a option.
-Hopefully, with customization, their designs will look more tolerable.

So what do you guys think. Looking at the 2 designs I definitely prefer the original, I really hope it isn't nostalgia blinding me, but then again, Hoenn was never really my favorite region, I don't hate it, but I would put it as my least favorite, if I had to pick one as it.
I'm probably going to buy outfits to closely resemble the Emerald design if I can.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I actually prefer Sapphire's new design (I can't remember her in game name, so have the Manga one) but Ruby (for consistancy sake) looks much worse, in all but the hat (I prefer fewer spike), I don't mind him wearing shorts, just not those ones... although tbf I think of him as a Pokémon co-ordinater, which this design really does not fit!

I imagine we'll get an excuse like we did for Crys' change of clothes when Ruby turns up in the manga... Like maybe he's jogging or something... I dunno, either way it looks dumb!

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Anyways, I'm kind of disappointed in the trainer designs, not with the clothes, but with them, in general. Like May's designed seems awkward to me and I just can't explain why, though.
That bow. Seriously. :urg:

Either way, Sceptile is best Mega, but I'm still going with Mudkip. I'll just have to trade for Sceptile's Mega Stone but Mudkip is the one for me. XD

I really like the idea of "Atom" devolutions, maybe like Giratina's Origin forme like others have said. Overall, awesome stuff in reveals.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Mega Swampert looks like a grappler character from a fighting game. I love it ._.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
No human is more hyped for this than me, and here are some personal things I would like to see:

A: I would like to see all generation Pokemon available, though we probably will see that due to Steven having a Mega Charizard X.

B: Mega Mightyena. My favorite Pokémon should get a mega, just because Mightyena is important in the manga and anime. Ruby's main in Ruby and the first evolving that Max & May saw.

C: Fluid animation. Something about the XY animation bugs me, so I would like it to see it polished.

D: Unabusable online play. Healing without the need of items, poke centers, duplicating items, it seems horrible. I do like having the infinite Master Balls though.

Aaaaand rant over.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
No human is more hyped for this than me, and here are some personal things I would like to see:

A: I would like to see all generation Pokemon available, though we probably will see that due to Steven having a Mega Charizard X.

B: Mega Mightyena. My favorite Pokémon should get a mega, just because Mightyena is important in the manga and anime. Ruby's main in Ruby and the first evolving that Max & May saw.

C: Fluid animation. Something about the XY animation bugs me, so I would like it to see it polished.

D: Unabusable online play. Healing without the need of items, poke centers, duplicating items, it seems horrible. I do like having the infinite Master Balls though.

Aaaaand rant over.
You can get infinite Master Balls? Are you referring to the Pokemon cloning glitch or is there another glitch specifically with items I didn't know about?

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Can we please take a moment and observe how classy Maxie is?

And apparently Shelly changed her hair colour awh

Comparing the original trainer art, with the new design, I can address the differences, better.

-Their eyes are way too cartoon-y, but it won't be that big of a deal when in their world sprite.
Meh can't do anything with the eyes, even Steven's (unintentional rhyme) most obvious change is his eyes.
But they do look good in the overworld 3D model

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
i'm glad swampert got a mega evo and i don't mind its design, but why, why did gamefreak give him swift swim? thats a useless ability for him. swampert is more of a tank and straight on attacker, not a speed demon. they should've gave him an ability that would actually mitigate his weakness to grass such as multiscale. they could've even given him drizzle as an ability. seriously gamefreak what are you thinking?

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
i'm glad swampert got a mega evo and i don't mind its design, but why, why did gamefreak give him swift swim? thats a useless ability for him. swampert is more of a tank and straight on attacker, not a speed demon. they should've gave him an ability that would actually mitigate his weakness to grass such as multiscale. they could've even given him drizzle as an ability. seriously gamefreak what are you thinking?
Well, I guess it's a benefit...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Anything with Swift Swim is automatically not "useless." Plus we don't know where Mega Swampert's getting the Stat distribution. It already has the best BST out of all starters, buffing its offenses/speed is completely feasible. To me it comes off as the "antithesis" of Mega Charizard Y, thriving on every rain team instead of sun. Some other Water type will probably get a Mega with Drizzle.

Then there's the obvious non-competitive reason, it could primarily be for fighting Kyogre in Alpha Sapphire.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think that skin tight body suit is a nice difference. The way they do faces now is just strange looking though.

I'm probably going to start with a Swampert. I made the mistake last of of gen 3 being the first gen I didn't start with a water type.

Though I continued that on in gen 4, even though Empoleon turned out to be my favorite starter of that gen

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Anything with Swift Swim is automatically not "useless." Plus we don't know where Mega Swampert's getting the Stat distribution. It already has the best BST out of all starters, buffing its offenses/speed is completely feasible. To me it comes off as the "antithesis" of Mega Charizard Y, thriving on every rain team instead of sun. Some other Water type will probably get a Mega with Drizzle.

Then there's the obvious non-competitive reason, it could primarily be for fighting Kyogre in Alpha Sapphire.
my main issue is that he still faces problems and competition from others such as ferrothorn and gastrodon. in fact it went down to UU because of them. i don't think speed was ever an issue, it was his weakness to grass and not having an ability like gastrodon's storm drain that made it hard for him to find a spot in most teams, let alone OU.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Wow! I just saw the newly revealed Mega Evolutions now. . . Mega Sceptile, baby! As I had mentioned before, Sceptile is one of my favorite Pokémon in general, and now he just leveled up in appearance. Also got the Grass / Dragon that I had wanted. Lightning Rod is a dumb ability (I wanted Tough Claws or something. . .) to have put on him / her, and Grass / Dragon already resists Electricity by 4x (although, Thunder Wave will be resisted). . . Hopefully the stat distribution can be efficient (though I'll probably run him / her regardless, just because).

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Wow! I just saw the newly revealed Mega Evolutions now. . . Mega Sceptile, baby! As I had mentioned before, Sceptile is one of my favorite Pokémon in general, and now he just leveled up in appearance. Also got the Grass / Dragon that I had wanted. Lightning Rod is a dumb ability (I wanted Tough Claws. . .) to have put on him / her, and Grass / Dragon already resists Electricity by 4x (although, Thunder Wave will be resisted). . . Hopefully the stat distribution can be efficient (though I'll probably run him / her regardless, just because).
All I know about Mega Sceptile is he'll get a boost in Speed and Special attack, and a MAJOR one in special attack.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Okay, we know starter megas get +100BST, so we can make some guesses on the stats, and I think they'll get something like:

Mega-Sceptile:

HP: 70
Attack: 105
Defense: 95
Sp.Atk: 135
Sp.Def: 95
Speed: 150

Looking at Mega-Blaziken and other high speed megas.

Mega-Swampert:

HP: 100
Attack: 135
Defense: 120
Sp.Atk: 100
Sp.Def: 120
Speed: 60

Mostly looking at Mega-Venusaur.
I'm questioning if he'll get more speed, or maybe go 40/20 on the physical/special defenses given either his ability or his design respectively.... He's harder to place. However, either way I think without Lefties or a recovery move he'll struggle to make much use of his bulk, and he'll still be less powerful than the bulky choice band/wall-breaker set... I don't see him being worth the item slot personally...

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
l just reaIized that peopIe who battIe onIine on Ruby/Sapphire wiII show the two characters from Hoenn instead of a customizabIe character Iike in X/Y

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I kind of had the following thoughts on the base stats for Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert...

Mega Sceptile
HP: 70
Attack: 135
Defense: 65
SP ATK: 125
SP DEF: 85
Speed: 150

Sceptile's movepool is way more physical-based than special based, so giving its mega evolution a base 135 attack (a 50 point increase) would at least give it a reason to use physical attacks.

Mega Swampert
HP: 100
Attack: 140
Defense: 110
SP ATK: 85
SP DEF: 110
Speed: 90

The base speed increase basically references Mega Swampert's Swift Swim ability. In other words, it may look slow, but it's actually faster than you'd think.

Last edited:

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
l just reaIized that peopIe who battIe onIine on Ruby/Sapphire wiII show the two characters from Hoenn instead of a customizabIe character Iike in X/Y
You're saying they'll remove customizable trainers for the remakes? Because I sorta of doubt they'd do that. No way to know either way right now. I mean they did remove fan favorite stuff before, like walking with a pokemon for example. Although Customizable trainers doesn't strike me as something they'd take out so easily. It lets everyone be the trainer they want to be instead of just Brendan or May. I guess we'll see either way during the E3 Direct. At least I hope so.

The one thing I'd really like to see is secret bases. Those were awesome back when Ruby and Sapphire were out when I was in High School. With the internet features they'd be even cooler.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
The thing about being a tank and being a mega is no form of recovery.

Unless Swampert learns Recover, Sceptile poops on him.

I recall my normal Sceptile doing over half damage with HP Ice on a full HP dragonite WITH multiscale. If that's true, I'm confident a Leaf Storm will destroy Swampert completely even with multiscale if he goes the defensive/special defensive route.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
You're saying they'll remove customizable trainers for the remakes? Because I sorta of doubt they'd do that. No way to know either way right now. I mean they did remove fan favorite stuff before, like walking with a pokemon for example. Although Customizable trainers doesn't strike me as something they'd take out so easily. It lets everyone be the trainer they want to be instead of just Brendan or May. I guess we'll see either way during the E3 Direct. At least I hope so.

The one thing I'd really like to see is secret bases. Those were awesome back when Ruby and Sapphire were out when I was in High School. With the internet features they'd be even cooler.
I'm just assuming since we are getting the same characters that you start with. I'm not putting the idea of customization down. I really want that to happen in Omega/Alpha

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I thought Secret Bases were a neat extra, but I wonder how that will work since people will probably have 100 friends on their DS and some might share the same secret base location...

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
The thing about being a tank and being a mega is no form of recovery.

Unless Swampert learns Recover, Sceptile poops on him.

I recall my normal Sceptile doing over half damage with HP Ice on a full HP dragonite WITH multiscale. If that's true, I'm confident a Leaf Storm will destroy Swampert completely even with multiscale if he goes the defensive/special defensive route.
it could use rest and sleep talk. one moveset that could help it out is waterfall, rest, sleep talk, earthquake. status moves would be useless and swamper would recover health and be a pain of a tank to take down. and with its mega evo, i'm sure it will get defensive buffs. and even so, i wish he would've gotten a better ability. not multiscale, but something that can help with its tanking abilities.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
it could use rest and sleep talk. one moveset that could help it out is waterfall, rest, sleep talk, earthquake. status moves would be useless and swamper would recover health and be a pain of a tank to take down. and with its mega evo, i'm sure it will get defensive buffs. and even so, i wish he would've gotten a better ability. not multiscale, but something that can help with its tanking abilities.
He should of gotten Hydration, and then he could run this set with Rain Dance instead of Sleep Talk. Then in the likely perma-weather of Primal Kyogre he could carry a third coverage move, toxic or rocks.

Oh, or he could run a curse/rest set.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
If it prioritizes on defensive play it could've gotten Dry Skin, Intimidate, Rain Dish, Rough Skin, or Storm Drain.

I don't know how I feel about Sap Sipper since it leaves Swampert with no weakness.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I think Primal forms will still have 5 turn weather unless they get new abilities no one knows about yet.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
If it prioritizes on defensive play it could've gotten Dry Skin, Intimidate, Rain Dish, Rough Skin, or Storm Drain.

I don't know how I feel about Sap Sipper since it leaves Swampert with no weakness.
i think storm drain would've been better for him. gives him an edge in comparison to gastrodon.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
i think storm drain would've been better for him. gives him an edge in comparison to gastrodon.
But not at the cost of a mega imo. I think he should have a niche separate to Gastrodon, else you'd just use Gastro and a different Mega...

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
So Fire, Ground, and Rock types are Swamperts best friend if he had Storm Drain.

However, Gastrodon does learn Recover.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Especially fire if you want to get rid of the grass threats.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
So Banded TalonFlame and Mega Swampert takes care of Sceptile assuming Sceptile is still as fragile as ever. Heatran sounds good, too.

What else would compliment each other in this sort of team?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Very situationally it would still be vulnerable to Mold Breaker Grass attacks and Freeze Dry (4x weakness, no less). Plus it boosts its most logical stat (Attack to contrast Sceptile's Special Attack and Blaziken's Speed). Yeah it would have been broken, but I feel like that's kind of the point of Megas.

I just really hope they don't miss another opportunity and give Mega Metagross something like Heavy Metal, or Mega DIancie Sturdy.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I would choose a fast fire type with enough sp att investment for HP Ice to OHKO a standard Sceptile set (which would probably be something like 4 HP)

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I just really hope they don't miss another opportunity and give Mega Metagross something like Heavy Metal, or Mega DIancie Sturdy.
Heavy Metal?! He's a friggin' quad-core processor! If he doesn't get Download they're doing something wrong!

As for Diancie, she's getting a new ability by the sounds of it,so it'll probably be a lot more interesting than Sturdy.

I would choose a fast fire type with enough sp att investment for HP Ice to OHKO a standard Sceptile set (which would probably be something like 4 HP)
Mega-Sceptile's probably going to be base 150 speed... there isn't a fire type that fast! As for non-mega Sceptile it's not going to get much play other than a surprise unburden set, which has 508.5 or 558 speed based on nature... even scarfers will fail to keep up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom