• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar and Doubles- Who is the Best to Team With? Who do You Team With?

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
What the title says. Olimar and doubles.
So who do you guys team with in doubles? Who do you think works best? Strategies? Who is worse?
Last weekend I teamed with a friend who mains Diddy. We tried Oli Diddy and it was a little strange because we both tried to get banana control. So he tries Snake and this teamed seemed to work perfectly. And mind you, I just picked up Oli (still /maining GnW) and he uses Snake as a secondary yet this worked best for the both of us. He stayed on one side while I stayed on the other. And when we could he would stick a C4 on me and when one of the opponents come and tries to attack me when I grabbed/they got too close the C4 stuck on them which worked out pretty well without me ending up the one blowing up (which usually happens..). Can't say that's much, but we just seemed to have worked really well. So I kind of like the Olimar/Snake team. I know Oli/Luigi is really good, too.
Any ideas from you guys, eh~? O:

Noa.

Smash Master
If only Bake could place a C4 on a pikmin. Then we could throug C4 that would latch onto pikmin.

I was talking to Logic the other day, and one important concept to get is that you and your partner should always be looking for an opportunity to double team. And watch eveyone on screen.

Good partners can be people who have great aerial games, or are able to take on multiple people at once. Tink is also an amazing teammate, or so Ive heard.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
1st of all today, still main G&W :p keep Oli as a 2ndary, less popular ftw

now to actually give input.

TBH, I only use Olimar in teams if both matchups I'm against suck for ROB. Oli is pretty much a secondary for me (IN TEAMS).

Some gud things to take advantage of when teaming with Olimar is to make sure u are teaming with someone with strong ground attacks because Olimar is a lot of grabs, therefore it is pretty much Oli grab to partner attack (MK/Snake/Ike/DDD Fsmash, etc) in a 2v2 situation u have no time to ground release.

when U cp stages, u wanna be able to CP stages that have a gud advantage to both u and ur partner. Halberd is gud for Olimar and a vertical killing teammate (snake). For then u are the one being CP'd, make sure u have a gud arial partner. U don't wanna get gimped x2 on frigate & RC.

DefinitelyNotFino

Smash Cadet
Characters that are exact opposites work the best together in teams. Take an extreme example of the anubis strategy. The Lucario goes all out aggressive, and the mk goes all out defensive. It's a strategy proven to work and get into final rounds multiple times.

Take olimar in the basics. He's a power house kill, he has no priority, works best by spacing his opponent - just for starters.

So take a teammate that can compliment olimar. Someone who can rack damage quickly, do damage control (handle both opponents), or divert opponents attention.

In teams, olimar should stock tank, save kill moves (to kill early) and poke attacks towards his teammate for team combos. Your teammate should know to stay JUST outside of your range.

Any character you think that can fit this works well. I team with a TL/Kirby... both I think are wonderful. Know that with a diverse cast of characters and teams you may need counterpicks beyond stages. Unless you're flat out better than your opponents in teams... there will be certain strategies that block out what you need to do.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Olimar teams best with MK, as long as the MK is very aggressive. And all you have to do as Oli is stay behind him.

You guys should watch my doubles vids that were uploaded last month :D

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
In teams, olimar should stock tank, save kill moves (to kill early) and poke attacks towards his teammate for team combos. Your teammate should know to stay JUST outside of your range.
Wow. I actually agree with... not Fino (that name makes it so difficult to correctly express my thought T_T).
I have a strong preference for Marth, Dedede, and Ness teammates, personally.
It may be just my personal experiences with bad players, but I rather hate ZSS teammates. Too much team-attack stun-gun action.

Not sure what the community opinion is on those characters.
Didn't we have something like five doubles topics before this one and didn't most of them come out to "it depends on personal experience and player skill"?

DefinitelyNotFino

Smash Cadet

It may be just my personal experiences with bad players, but I rather hate ZSS teammates. Too much team-attack stun-gun action.
ZZS is terrible to team with oli. Like I said, you want the opposite spectrum. To characters that rely on spacing are not going to work well together.
I've never teamed with a good DDD or marth, so I can't say for sure.

To further keep my theory for teams, look at another common team: Wario MK. Granted, both these characters have high defensive and aerial prowess, but look how the team is played. Heavy/hard to kill stock-tank wario with good kill moves (zomg waft), and infinite priority and fast damaging MK. I see a lot of these matches where mk gets 4 stocks, lol. take that both characters dominate the air, it gives wario EVEN MORE leverage to play safe to stock tank. Also, wario can just sweep in and out with his aerial mobility, just poking attacks in until their in ko %

Rust

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rustic
Overall, I have to say that I enjoy teaming with DK or Luigi the most.

DK's a huge target, but hell if he won't live til 200% with good DI. Not to mention he can kill just as well as you can (since most of his moves will be stale). Sure there's the latch problem, but an extra 2-3% isn't much for someone that big. Plus, Cargo throw -> Purple Usmash is great.

Luigi because, well, it's Luigi xD You don't have to worry about hitting him with just about anything and he can get Pikmin off like a mofo on fire (yay for hard counters). And he can kill just as early as your Purple Usmash. Grab opponent -> UpB. Easy as all hell :embarrass`

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
personally i like toonlink, g&w, snake

although i've heard luigi and marth are good

rob sucks with oli, either i just get bad luck or MK is really bad with him as well...and diddy might be a good character if they play like separate 1v1 characters

-Coco-

Smash Ace
personally i like toonlink, g&w, snake

although i've heard luigi and marth are good

rob sucks with oli, either i just get bad luck or MK is really bad with him as well...and diddy might be a good character if they play like separate 1v1 characters
R.O.B. is amazing with Oli 0_o

DefinitelyNotFino

Smash Cadet
why is tl a good partner??
TL doesn't have to worry about kill moves (at all), and unleashing that is free to do whatever he wants. This makes TL into a damage-racking power house. TL racks the damage, olimar waits for the kills. TL is fast enough to cover oli and get him out of a funk, as well as help his recovery from anywhere on stage with a projectile. On top of this, his mobility and aerial control compliments a good stock-tanking olimar with good stage control. At any time olimar loses stage control, all it takes is 1 bomb to give him the opportunity to get it back.

TL is a damage racking machine who has sword-priority and can control the air, but lacks kill moves and a solid ground game. Olimar is a high-damage out-put character, half his moveset can be considered a "kill move" with regards to other characters potential, making his 'kill moves" even more of a threat, on top of amazing stage control, but lacks priority and has sub-par aerial game.

With TL and oli, you literally control almost all the strong/desired aspects of them game (when played well).

Mith8

Smash Cadet
I personally love teaming with my best friend, who is a marth. He goes full offensive untill i get a desired lineup.

My Weegee friend, my pika friend, and my diddy friend are not bad either.

As long as im playing with my friends.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
^
i like how this man thinks :D

and if mk is your teamate, oli should be in front and mk protects the air with dair and nado, thats how me and m2k beat ally and chu.. vids eventually maybe

ps. its logic!!!!!!!!! Never Knows never knows :s

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I actually got to team with a good Wario for the first time in my life and it was so frigging fun. I didn't even really have to worry about hitting him since he's already so ****ed hard to hit.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
So Rust and I had planned on teaming for a major tournament. We wish to know your opinions on a Falco-Oli team.

If I'm SHDLing over him while he's camping with Pikmin on the ground we're making approaching REALLY hard if its done right. As long as I'm covering him he'll have the time to build up his arsenal so he can get reds and purpls for killing power. Our off stage game might end up being weak though.

Thoughts, comments, additions, concerns?

If push came to shove we could just go ROBimar on them :o

RichBrown

Smash Master
Falco-Oli is a miserable team imo, DEHF and I teamed once and it was soooo hard to do, we got 2nd but only because of our individual skill levels lol

Dnyce

Smash Master
I think Olimar is good with Bowser.
Lurking variable. Inference Error.
Though I have not experienced the team myself; assume the premise of your inference to be true.
p1 Olimar is good with Bowser in teams.
p2 The team will succeed.
However, my objection is to consider the legitimacy of Bowser. An undefined reason is implied that both Olimar and Bowser are good in teams. May I suggest this reasoning:
p1 Olimar is good with Bowser in teams.
p2 Bowser is notoriously bad in teams.
p3 A team is only as strong as the weakest player.
p4 The team is likely to fail.
I don't want to belittle your statement since I do not have the experience of it, but the p1 premise is still assumed to be true. Granted skill and understanding of the Boozer is far greater than the other team, it has potential to succeed. Under further investigation it seems rather illogical to team with a Bowser in competitive play.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Do you guys have any thoughts on oli-pikachu? I'm teaming with Z next weekend, he's by far the best pika on the WC, I think he's at least top 2-3 in the nation. Do any of you have experience teaming w/ the pika, or have any super cool ideas?

I figure if I'm about to die he can downB me. If people are shielding his dsmash, I can grab. We both have good followup throws. All ideas welcome.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Do you guys have any thoughts on oli-pikachu? I'm teaming with Z next weekend, he's by far the best pika on the WC, I think he's at least top 2-3 in the nation. Do any of you have experience teaming w/ the pika, or have any super cool ideas?

I figure if I'm about to die he can downB me. If people are shielding his dsmash, I can grab. We both have good followup throws. All ideas welcome.
Perhaps a guide such as Dekar's (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260661) would be helpful in making a solid, foundational team strategy.
Doing things from grabs are a good way to start building team chemistry and combos. Consider Olimar grab-release to thunder, or Olimar down-throw -> Pikachu Nair.
Counter-intuitively, I have found that throwing Pikmin onto Pikachu can be both helpful and detrimental. Consider the heavy lag on his electrical attacks and standard lag on normal attack to make his moves both impossible to avoid (by aerial dodge or spot dodge) and easier to punish.
Upon further analysis, you can benefit from either situation. In the former, Pikachu hits someone he would have missed without latch-lag. In the later, Pikachu gets punished; with correct positioning of yourself in relation to Pikachu, your opponent just opened themselves up to a free attack.

Geddan

Smash Ace
DK goes swell with an olimar. strong aerials plus tanky smashes and cargo is wreck with olimar's grab combos and range. :laugh:

donkey punch?!
yeah i always wondered about dk with oli, seems good on paper.
i may be partnering with a dk main for doubles this weekend so i'll let you guys know how that goes.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
remeber that opposites attract. Find 2 characters that r very different in fighting styles and you'll suceed. Ex] olimar and luigi

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I also team with Crash, another Luigi, and Fino's going to be teaming with YoshQ for MLG.

Seems to be the signature teammate for Olimar mains lol

Top Bottom