• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oli Piktures Present: The Oli Video Compendium (Updated 11/25/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fino

Smash Master
I watched the first 20 seconds of the thrid vid... and then realized... why am I watching a vid w/ TL <.<
not just any TL... but Jerm... and that kid is homo on top of maining TL.

Also, zori - when they aerial dodge your uair you can normally follow up with a nair before they can do anything.

~Fino

Fino

Smash Master

Denti

Smash Master
This is my video and this is why i believe snake vs oli on FD is so **** because OLIs grab game here with him is just tooooo good. falling form the air snake honestly cant do anything in front of him. i always cp FD against snakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkZPSdFRF-A

note: i notice i down throw on a grenade and it explodes. i screwed up, i know your supose to up throw so dont judge me on that plz. i was just in the down throw zone XD

Fino

Smash Master
This is my video and this is why i believe snake vs oli on FD is so **** because OLIs grab game here with him is just tooooo good. falling form the air snake honestly cant do anything in front of him. i always cp FD against snakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkZPSdFRF-A

note: i notice i down throw on a grenade and it explodes. i screwed up, i know your supose to up throw so dont judge me on that plz. i was just in the down throw zone XD
You're forgetting that the snake in that vid was terrible... we only care about good snakes when discussions feasibility of stages and what not.
I almost JV 4'd a mk on RC... this is why I believe olimar should play good against mk thar, because I played this no name mk there... and ***** him

Noa.

Smash Master
Honestly, I myself love to juggle snakes with dthrow, but it really only works on snakes that don't know the matchup.

Jupz

Smash Master
Nice set hilt. 2:55 in the first match was very smart. You're very aware of which pikmin you have at all the time. I need to get better at that xD

~Amaterasu~

Smash Apprentice
i never thought of comin here during programing ^-^
i watched the second vid since you said you got trashed
you play REALLY smart~ @_@ every move seems careful and calculated but at the same time clumsy - lulzy
i take it you dont like red pikmin cuz you double whistled and tossed a red one right off after taking the first stock XD
sexy~ tether trick at 1:35 :o how did you do that?
youre so competent with whistling and utilizing knowing which pikmin are going to be next @_@ so smart
1:49 you seem to comprehend stage obstacles and how to use them to your advantage jus make sure youre keeping an eye on your opponent still ;_;
1:57 pivot walk + grab wuz unnecessarily hawtt :3
you seem to like to double whistle a lot - there any reason why? like dk hits you with a backair and theres not way he can do something as fast as the whistle after that and you get hit by his upair. I usually nair after a whistle if they hit me or aerial dodge if they dont @_@
nuuuuuuuuuu~ if you didnt whistle at the end you might have lived *sad face*

i didnt want to be rude but these are just a couple things i noticed. you play really smart i wish i could do some of the things you did in there. it wasnt anything supa flashy or sick combos more just being aware of everything ^-^

also why do you full hop so much? ripple didnt punish you but i know a lot of other chars will punish full hops if you do them. was this accident or is it just something you know cant be punished by dk very often .___.
you didnt get trashed like you said tho >_< jus got stage gayed. he started to play defensively when he got the stock lead and i dunno if you caught on. dk cant play defensively cuz his 'gtfo pikmin' options arent guud~

cant wait to see more :3

Asa

Smash Hero
good ****

ya why didn't you choose halberd? Doesn't that place have a low ceiling?

So you threw pikmin off the stage to try at getting purples again?

Denti

Smash Master
yea i toss my pikmin off too according to the situation if i have time. like pikachu for example needs yellows and purples (always pikmin toss whites at opponent, never ditch) so i ditch reds and blues but i keep my blues if pikachu is ready to die. its called pikmin filtering, at least thats what i call it.. i wasn't aware any other olimar did it as well. i was thinking about making a thread about it, but im not really responsible and known enough to hold a real important thread.. even though i have notes on pikmin filtering and everything xD Most importantly pikmin line filtering revolves around play style, opinion, and ive been told we can just discuss it in our MU conversations, which doesn't happen.

but even if he banned halberd like other places are better imo. picto has such a high ceiling and the stuff picto chat draws forces olimar to jump more and thats his weak spot. i know you can throw people into the missles, plant, and fire though, so i do see that logic. FD or halberd is better than picto imo. but if hilt can beat ripple on picto he should go picto

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
..what? Have you not played on Picto much? I'd definitely say it's one of Olimar's best stages, with Halberd, FD, and Delfino (yes, delfino). White pikmin work wonders against DK, since he has a rough time getting pikmin off of him, and whites make him HAVE to get pikmin off. DKs will oftentimes stop knocking pikmin off when he gets over 100, since they won't stay on him as long (minimum of two hits), but with whites, he can't really do that. It forces him to leave himself open more often than they would like to.

Everyone forgets Olimar can kill horizontally :/ I usually kill more off the sides (dsmash, fair, throws) than I do off the top. And where does DK kill? Off the top. Picking halberd would make both Oli and DK kill easier, which is a problem for us because he kills easier than us anyways lol. Picking pictochat would only make Olimar kill easier. Picto has a higher ceiling so it's harder for DK to kill us unless he does so with a gimp (most of his kills against me were off the top).

Also, Olimar adapts to the changes of picto really well, better than a lot of characters, while lots of the sections give us extra time to farm for the pikmin we'd need for the matchup. Plus everyone knows what the hazards do for us. :X

Fino

Smash Master
..what? Have you not played on Picto much? I'd definitely say it's one of Olimar's best stages, with Halberd, FD, and Delfino (yes, delfino). White pikmin work wonders against DK, since he has a rough time getting pikmin off of him, and whites make him HAVE to get pikmin off. DKs will oftentimes stop knocking pikmin off when he gets over 100, since they won't stay on him as long (minimum of two hits), but with whites, he can't really do that. It forces him to leave himself open more often than they would like to.

Everyone forgets Olimar can kill horizontally :/ I usually kill more off the sides (dsmash, fair, throws) than I do off the top. And where does DK kill? Off the top. Picking halberd would make both Oli and DK kill easier, which is a problem for us because he kills easier than us anyways lol. Picking pictochat would only make Olimar kill easier. Picto has a higher ceiling so it's harder for DK to kill us unless he does so with a gimp (most of his kills against me were off the top).

Also, Olimar adapts to the changes of picto really well, better than a lot of characters, while lots of the sections give us extra time to farm for the pikmin we'd need for the matchup. Plus everyone knows what the hazards do for us. :X
I was going to mention a lot of the stuff you said... mainly the "hilt kills with dsmash" part lololol.
Some people don't understand depth of CP'ing. I forget sometimes too, but there are more things that just tetherable edges and low ceilings that benefit olimar, and it seems we tend to focus on just those <.<

Delfino is also a graped stage if your opponent can't shark ;o It's one of my personal favorites.

TBH, I don't think throwing pikmin off the stage is really necessary. If I don't want a pikmin, I'll make sure it gets latched onto my opponent. This way it's at least doing something for me. The only time I will throw pikmin off the stage is if I have a line of 4 yellows a white and a red, and my opponent is at 160% <.< (ect)

EDIT:
Hilt... Imma tell you this right now. You better **** well go to a tournament that I go to sometime soon, so you can explain to me your thoughts/playstyle. I'm getting hardcore mindgamed just by watching it.... and I'm not even playing @.@ wtf mang <3 I don't understand, haha

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
XD <3
Go to this :D

But yeah we definitely need to get to the same tournament sometime soon. It's been awhile. Making it out to a MW:W tournament is looking unlikely for me though :(

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You gravitate to the ledge too much which doesn't give you room to retreat for spacing purposes. You waste your forward and backward throws, using them with yellows, reds, and whites, which you should never F/Bthrow with. Dthrow always with reds/whites and dthrow with yellow unless they're like 180% or something, which shoudln't happen.

At low percents when you dthrow, follow up with a fair or sometimes fsmash. But fair is usually the better option.

When you're right above an opponent and they're in lag from an attack, throw out a nair. It's fast enough, out prioritizes a lot, and (as you know) combos into usmash. You had a free opportunity for a nair at 1:18.

I'll look into it some more in a bit.

Asa

Smash Hero
You gravitate to the ledge too much which doesn't give you room to retreat for spacing purposes. You waste your forward and backward throws, using them with yellows, reds, and whites, which you should never F/Bthrow with. Dthrow always with reds/whites and dthrow with yellow unless they're like 180% or something, which shoudln't happen.

At low percents when you dthrow, follow up with a fair or sometimes fsmash. But fair is usually the better option.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply :)

I thought the standard low % grab combo was dthrow-usmash-w/e
is the fsmash/fair better for g&w?

Ya I know I end up going to the ledge often when I retreat too many pivot grabs and stuff
i'll work on that

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Thanks a lot for the quick reply :)

I thought the standard low % grab combo was dthrow-usmash-w/e
is the fsmash/fair better for g&w?

Ya I know I end up going to the ledge often when I retreat too many pivot grabs and stuff
i'll work on that
dthrow -> usmash is the basic combo. It works on most characters and is easy to do but it leave as much room for followups after it. You can sometimes add a uair after it but that's unlikely. Oftentimes after landing a fair (after dthrow) you can get another grab, or put the opponent in a much worse position. Dthrow -> usmash does have it's characters that it works better against (rob, falco, etc).

When recovering, don't use your UpB so soon after your second jump. Take advantage of the full hop of your second jump, as it's important to getting the boost needed to get back on stage when edge hogged. If you wait a bit after you start to far after your second jump before using UpB you can get a better horizontal boost.

Uair beats out GW's Key, your spacing was just off. Learn the spacing and if you're feeling up to it, use your second jump to get the extra distance if you need it (although if you get hit horizontally after it you're ****ed). If you're not in range for hitting with an uair, don't throw it out, but use the fact that you're in the air right below them as pressure and watch what they do. Oftentimes they'll be forced to land in awkward ways and you're right there to punish.

Oh, use fair more. It's a good move :X

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Utilize your purple pikmin toss more often. It's an incredibly important tool for Olimar, I rarely use purple pikmin for anything else, unless I'm in the middle of a combo/string or am going for a surprise kill with usmash or dsmash. And even when my opponents are at high percents I'll still oftentimes use the purple pikmin as a projectile.

Speaking of which, when you got your opponent to high percents, you started approaching and going for the kill too predictably. Olimars do this a lot (I do it too a lot @_@), you have to focus more on forcing the opponent to come at you in a way that leaves them open and capitalizing on the space they leave unprotected. Otherwise you're usually not going to get a kill easily.

A few things you do when you spam pikmin that leaves you open. A few is seen often in people, such as using it as a spammable projectile rather than a tool that forces approaches. Pikmin (other than purples) aren't projectiles you can spam over and over and be okay. The opponent is just going to rush in and... well, hit you. So, you'll have to learn the timing and spacing for when to stop throwing pikmin and throw out a grab or fsmash. Oftentimes I'll just throw out one pikmin and, as soon as I see my opponent dashing towards me, use an fsmash to cover the area my opponent would have to use to get in.

Don't full hop your pikmin toss. I'm not sure if you do it on purpose, it leaves you open for too long though. Actually, against a lot of characters it's oftentimes better to sometimes throw pikmin while grounded. This is definitely the case with Yoshi, since he has a laggy projectile that covers the air. So yeah, focus not just on how you're going to hit your opponent with pikmin, but also how you're going to stop them from rushing you, or how you're going to punish their lag when they try to shake the pikmin off. If you can't cover your landing with a falling fair or nair it's probably better to throw the pikmin from the ground.

Yoshi's kills and aerial game are really easy to read and whistle through, after you get use to the matchup. I had two good yoshi's in my first pool at Pound so... I had to get aquainted with the matchup @_@ but I ended up living to 213 against one on stock (whistled three spikes :X). If you know your opponent is going to go for the kill and you're to the point to where 15-20% isn't going to make you die any later or earlier, it's usually better to whistle the attack than risk air dodging and suffereing from the lag from it. The only problem for this against yoshi is when you're landing when he's blow you and not too far horizontally from you. They're often going to go for pivot grabs where you're going to land which Olimar is really susceptible to (DDD @_@). Try to throw off their timing fast falling an aerial if you see the opportunity.

You were missing a lot of guaranteed fairs after your dthrows. It might be good for you to practice in training mode dthrow to fair at lower percents until you have it down perfectly. Whenever you get it down, set the percentage up a little higher until you know they're too high for it to work. I can usually get a fair out of a dthrow at around 30%, 40% if dthrow is staled enough (which it is :X)

Oh and stop running for the edges so much! XD Especially on Delfino walkoffs when, if the opponent gets in, you can get killed at extremely low percents. If you think you can go for a kill then that's cool, but being backed up against a corner is, most of the time, worse than being close to the opponent in the center of the stage. That way if you do get hit, you're not in a dangerous position.

..Okay that was a lot lol. Sorry if that was too much to read :X You got a lot better between these videos and the last ones you put up though. Keep it up man :D

edit: Definitely, FD is a good counterpick against Yoshi, and most characters in general for Olimar. Halberd would also be a good stage to take him to. I don't know too much about CPs and Bans against Yoshis since I don't have any that I can play against often. Learn Delfino though, it's an amazing stage for Olimar, although it is good for Yoshi as well. But learn how to take advantage of how it improves Olimars ability to keep the opponent out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom