• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
But, whatever. Change. Fear. Lack of willingness to adapt. Classic human response, I guess.

Let's keep on playing Super Campy Bros. Brawl: Coward Edition, because its such a fun and exciting game when people hit you once, and then put up tents for eight minutes.
Items just aren't as fun. No one is afraid of items.

edit: and no one in Oklahoma even plays like that. Maybe Daniel and Gmo... but not really...

DancingFighterG

Smash Ace
Yo, this is DancingFighterG. What up players. After a long SuperCon the fun has ended but for those who could not make it or for those who want to remember everything that was at SuperCon take a look at the great pictures and other media from the event:

SuperCon 2009 Pictures:

http://nvgaonline.com/Forums/index.php?automodule=gallery&req=sc&cat=56

Note: All pictures were captured by Brian "WhiteWorm" LaCount and Erin of the Colorado Cutthroat Chapter

SuperCon 2009 video:

http://www.nvgaonline.com/SuperCon/LivefromSuperCon.php

link2702

Smash Champion
Items just aren't as fun. No one is afraid of items.

edit: and no one in Oklahoma even plays like that. Maybe Daniel and Gmo... but not really...
certain people find different things as "fun" there is no way that you can say that everyone thinks item Matches "arent' as fun"

I'm not saying we need to throw em into the actual tournies, but just that you can't say EVERYONE thinks that item matches "aren't fun",Personally I think its nice to have item freindlies everyonce and awhile, I get bored outta my mind if I don't have some crazy random Item matches everyonce and awhile.:psycho:

Shade_

Smash Ace
I agree with Link, though I'm not going to dock Peezy for something that's bluntly obvious, I just think it's how people talk. We all say everyone does this, or no one is like so and so, but if you want to be stingy about it, any sentence involving the words everyone/anyone/no one are usually never true.

I think items make great friendlies, smash balls are unbalanced, but it's still fun.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I thought it was pretty obvious he meant: Items aren't as fun (to me).
He didn't say everyone doesn't like items much lol...who would say that..unless you are talking about the competitive scene?

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
I want to play more blazblue!

Also I really just need to drop peach altogether and stop using her in tournies...shes a ****ty character lol. Or maybe just keep her as a secondary or something.

Good ish at MGC paul.:)

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I just skipped Po's post but from the excerpt LOL

What happened to Brawl being so much more fun than any other game, and the rest of us needed to lighten up?

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
meh, Well like I siad, some folks learn easier then others, all I know is from alot of the other instruments i've played, i've found guitar to be the most difficult, all the other ones I picked up very quickly and easily, but not guitar.:psycho:
but...the problem is that you're just wrong. no one who actually knows what they are talking about would ever say that the cello is easier to play than the guitar. in the same vein i could go around saying that green eggs and ham was a harder read than war and peace and offer the excuse "well, some things are just harder for some people," but there's absolutely no way anyone who understands any logic would consider that a legitimate defense. i don't mean to call you out since i don't know you so i can't already hate you, but you are very obviously lying or are some ridiculous type of savant who can't play guitar for a mysterious reason.

certain people find different things as "fun" there is no way that you can say that everyone thinks item Matches "arent' as fun"

I'm not saying we need to throw em into the actual tournies, but just that you can't say EVERYONE thinks that item matches "aren't fun",Personally I think its nice to have item freindlies everyonce and awhile, I get bored outta my mind if I don't have some crazy random Item matches everyonce and awhile.:psycho:
the more you grasp on to subjectivity, the more my hands reach for ctrl+w

and here i thought the falco boards had a monopoly on idiotic and annoying people. not trying to be mean, just being as blunt as possible.

chris and pablo are coming over for some fighting game fun...if anyone else wants to join just call me :D i'm in north norman, should be a close drive for anyone in the metro area.

link2702

Smash Champion
Some things come more naturally to some people then others, you need to remember that, Just cuz YOU found guitar easy to play(have you even played it, or are you just going by what you've read about guitar, from folks who "found it easy" on the internet) doesn't mean someone else is going to. Viola was probably the easiest thing that i ever learned to play, it came naturally to me, I was also able to learn to play cello and i found it fairly easy as well, not as much as viola, but still fairly easy. maybe it was because both instruments I started when I was young, maybe it was because I had a teacher helping me every day,(both these were back in school) but even then, I still found boht instruments to feel natural to me, and liked to played both of them, but eventuallly just stayed with viola due to personal preferance.

now, guitar, from day one, I have found it difficult, maybe YOU didn't(if you've even played it that is) but I did.

Do not act like your word is instant law just from your own personal experiance, if you found it easy, GOOD for you, I didn't, likewise, just because I found both viola and cello easier then guitar, and you didn't, doesn't mean that they must be easy for everyone, becuase there are alot of people out there who probably find all these instruments a challenge to play.

kthxbai

Shade_

Smash Ace
So my family is hosting an exchange student from Japan, and he plays smash brothers, so I'll be bringing him to OHSNAP, he mains Zelda. I really love the people that make up our competitive smash scene and the atmosphere at the tournaments is always very lively, fun, and loud, so I think it would be a good place to open him up. The only thing I am a little worried about is that if he gets knocked out early then he might not have that much fun lol, and it lasts a looooong time, so he might get fed up with it easily. But I hope he enjoys it as much as we do. He's probably a noob though, ...I'll change that.

I recently picked up the guitar, and I'm not good. But I do think (at least if it's an electric), it's the instrument people pick to learn if they want to sound decently "cool"/"good", with in a short amount of time. Simply add an Amp and play 2 or 3 chords that sound good together and it sounds cool for a few seconds. It takes about 10 minutes of messing around to do it after you have an amp.

Now the Acoustic and Classical guitar takes a lot more work to make sound nice. I actually don't think it's hard, it just takes getting used to. It's one of those things you don't have to put much effort into to get good at, just time. So I don't think it really counts as hard.

I think in terms of mastering instruments the piano has the biggest learning curve. Just because the difference between a good and mediocre player is extremely obvious, more so than other instruments in my opinion. So I say it's the hardest instrument.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Man, instruments are boring. Let's talk about how I'm going to get wrecked when I try to play Marth. Which will be the next time I play someone. Which I'm hoping will be sometime this week. Except not tomorrow. Because my mom has to take the car somewhere tomorrow. Unless you're talking about online play.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I just skipped Po's post but from the excerpt LOL

What happened to Brawl being so much more fun than any other game, and the rest of us needed to lighten up?
People started camping.

Worst part is that they don't even realize they're camping/enjoy doing it. The game's no longer enjoyable to me when I have to chase someone all day/wait for them to get off the ledge.

Yeah, no one in Oklahoma does that, and that's why we will lose to Texas...

For the record, I never said it was more fun than any other game, I just said it was more fun to me at the time than Melee. I still believe it is, but not 'competitively', because the future looks quite grim for 'competitive' Smash as a whole anyway.

I'm such a big ball of sunshine lately, aren't I?

Alex, if you want to play some Blazblue this week, I'm down. That game is more fun than any other game... ;)

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I want to play something this week. If anything does happen that I would be invited to attend, post about it here and maybe I can drive down. I'm even thinking about just driving down to Tom's sometime.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
cry more, link. and stop lying, it's far from impressive.

brandon: blazblue is **** fun. not as good as melee or tekken to me, but close. i played today, but everyone there kind of wanted me to do combos and play in a competitive mindset. i'd rather learn the actual game mechanics and how it feels and plays before i play it competitively, though. so if you don't mind me messing around a lot, we should play quite often before i look into the entire competitive scene ^.^

chris/pablo/brett: fun times today. i suck at blazblue and own you all in melee :p
cicis and guitar hero were also awesome for those involved.

well...work tomorrow at 6:00 AM o.0 night all

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Man, I'm trying to see whether or not I should sugar coat posts to not make people mad.
They're just words on a message board ON THE INTERNET. If someone wants to get butthurt over WORDS, they **** sure won't be able to handle getting SHORYUKEN'D...

Seriously, though, I'm just trying to liven things up and get a debate going. I have to keep you guys seething it seems to get you to up your games.

That, and I'm getting a little bored with the way we play Smash... I wants my Spear Pillar and Little Mac Assist, dammit!

"Dey see me Trollin'... Dey hatin'... Trying catch me Postin' Dirty..."

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Actually, I forgot to respond to Po's proposal:

I kind of enjoy ISP singles and doubles. We played quite a bit of it at WHOBO, and they are reasonably fun and still somewhat competitive.

I also want whoever is handling the monthlies from now on to consider the idea of running tournaments with experimental formats. I'm pretty fond of a bunch of ideas that Overswarm has been running by us in the SBR, including this format called Iron Man. I also want to play around with the idea of having team battle sets consisting of three characters, with each only being able to be used once (i.e. similar to the format that Capcom vs. SNK 2 uses). For proponents of the MK ban, this greatly assuages the issue of stratification caused by some of the more dominant top tier characters, and you also have to be somewhat strategic with the order of your characters.

I don't know how stage bans, strikes and counter-picks work (as well as double blinds), but I think they are great ideas for side tournaments or something to break up the usual monotony of our generally boring counter-pick system. I'll elaborate more on these ideas if anyone's interested tomorrow.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Eh Hanson, that 3vs3 stuff sounds like the Japanese crew battle system which is just played on one stage <_<

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
LOL, so resistant to change. It's not that at all, and there was an alternative proposal that's actually more interesting than that, but if you, the TO, is not interested, then oh well. I'm just trying to engender some motivation for trying to be somewhat progressive.

Anyway, I'm handing over PR duties to you and whoever else from now on. I'll try to get someone to give you editing rights over the thread.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
lol I never said I was against change so much as like that's ooollld son, get something better up your sleeves, and I love items.

What I wanted was the SC crew battle format, but whatevs.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Just you have an Ace who serves as a captain who has to be teamed up with a partner, so it essentially will serve as a 5 vs 5 crew battle but with points awarded spread out so that the 5th Ace match weighs as more so then picking a line up is so much more important.

<_< we tired it once, everyone got confused.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Hanson: So when you said a dead heat, I assume you meant a dead heat in the two-thirds majority area, since that's what's needed for a ban?

SC-style crews are pretty cool.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Well, either way, our state's in need of some organization again competitively, so I figured PRs would be a good place to start. You (Yawara) and Chris should be the driving force behind this for sure.

Tyrannosaurus

Smash Cadet
sorry to be a big *** and take the topic back a page but
They're just words on a message board ON THE INTERNET. If someone wants to get butthurt over WORDS, they **** sure won't be able to handle getting SHORYUKEN'D...
i disagree, especially since the people here are people who see each other on a (semi)regular basis, the same diplomacy and tact you would employ in a face to face conversation should be displayed here

of course if you don't care about that then it's a moot point, but treating it differently because "it's the internet" is p goofy

anyway i might go to ohsnap this year, i have not actually been to any of them, shame on me

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
brandon: blazblue is **** fun. not as good as melee or tekken to me, but close. i played today, but everyone there kind of wanted me to do combos and play in a competitive mindset. i'd rather learn the actual game mechanics and how it feels and plays before i play it competitively, though. so if you don't mind me messing around a lot, we should play quite often before i look into the entire competitive scene ^.^
Thats perfectly fine Alex.:) I <3 your jab game LOL!

I just thought you were randomly going to pull out some super awesome combo after those jabs lol. Take your time bro, just have fun with the game.

Also Rachel is awesome. The amount timing and execution to perform some of her combos are mad ********.:laugh:

Shade_

Smash Ace
While on the topic of crew battles. I vaguely remember talking about team crew battles. Maybe it's what yawara is talking about, but I thought it sounded like a fun idea.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was hoping to do a type of crew battle one day where it meant more than just having a lot of really good players and like revolved around a different type of CPing and stuff. Like crews are set before hand and it's a gamble on where people should go and stuff and teams would be worth a lot of points so it's important to be good at it.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
so i just realized the other day that ohsnap is a fri/sat event. not a sat/sun. so what day is the crew battle? i may (not) make it. was planning to go to mgc.

Oh yeah, if its goin to be up to TO at this point. than are we going to ban mk?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Tom, you can't not go to OH SNAP. We need you to crush a lot of Texas players with relentless aggression and your zero laser stance in brackets and MMs, and then I'm sending you out against Razer in crew battles, LOL.

We probably should not ban MK, since there are a few OOS players coming that are under the impression that he will be available for use.

kpeezy

Smash Cadet
so i just realized the other day that ohsnap is a fri/sat event. not a sat/sun. so what day is the crew battle? i may (not) make it. was planning to go to mgc.

Oh yeah, if its goin to be up to TO at this point. than are we going to ban mk?
Why would you skip Oh Snap 5 for some bull****, single elimination tournament. That's ********.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
cause chris said he would do it too. can't let him have money that easy.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
About Johns...

Look, kids, you should all know by now that I have the utmost respect for each and every single one of you. My last few posts have been of a really ****ty quality, and if the stench offended anyone, I apologize.

It doesn't justify my whining, however, I am just really frustrated with my game, the metagame, the ban talk, and the seemingly de-evolution of the community at large, but this just isn't the same Smash Community I grew up with. Used to be a time where people could discuss things peacefully, without name-calling and questioning peoples' skill. It shouldn't matter how many tournaments you've won(or lost), if you have evidence and logic behind your argument. Now, that's another tangent for another day... I think I may have gotten infected by whatever idiot virus has been getting passed around this place lately.

Now, I'm back to full health, and I'm going to kick all your ***** at OHSNAP. ;)

My first order of business is to put all you fools on notice: I ONCE WAS, AM STILL, AND FOREVER WILL BE THE BADDEST MAN IN OKLAHOMA, anyone who doubts this can and will get their **** rocked. No doubt.

MONEY MATCHES ARE COMING, GET AT ME SON.

Oh yeah, don't ban MK, I need to reclaim my honor, and redeem myself.

NO ****ING JOHNS.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I think it's worth a shot to try the new crew battles. I'm sure that the majority of the complaints about it being confusing was because most of the players didn't want to give it a try. But from what I read, it's the same as a normal crew, but you have 1 team, and the team match is worth extra points right? Doesn't sound that complicated to me.

Top Bottom