• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay Chaco *sob* you can close and lock it now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Hahaha no I was watching. he lost to Ary's Snake like 123% to Ary's 140, then 2 stocked falco and won with Wolf.
Don't cover for him. He's an evil, soulless liar, and he's going to HELL!

:bee:

Shogun_Fox

Smash Ace
don`t give up hope, it`s the only way. So keep up ur wits and bear through the cheapness lol XD ^^, I never give up and I make miraclious comebacks lol XD ^^
I still feel pain from your Sonic lol. Yeah I guess...I'll figure some stuff out...I'm looking in the Ness Forums and it says that Peach is 55-45 over Ness...

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Sign me up for Evolution of Smash. I will show up this time because I am not going to be busy for a long time.

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
I still feel pain from your Sonic lol. Yeah I guess...I'll figure some stuff out...I'm looking in the Ness Forums and it says that Peach is 55-45 over Ness...
o-o, Apparently, u can figure it out, how to counter even tho it`s a small disadvantage against u o-o XD ^^

bunnyma

Smash Journeyman
:)

Can anyone think of a cuter animal than a munchkin cat. If so, you are probably a rapist and a communist. Did I mention wife beater? :)

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
Just wanted to register for Evolution. Not sure who I'm going to use yet. How's tomorrow night for our bracket match, Barge?

Also: Bedevere's signature wins Smashboards forever.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Just wanted to register for Evolution. Not sure who I'm going to use yet. How's tomorrow night for our bracket match, Barge?

Also: Bedevere's signature wins Smashboards forever.
Not anymore it doesn't. :( I went over my bandwith on PB, so now all I have left is Ken and Crystal and her rice. Both my gifs were shot dead. I won't be able to share stocks with them until the end of the month.

Nice friendlies, btw, forgot to say before. I think I won like...one match, and it wasn't even with my my main. :psycho:

bunnyma

Smash Journeyman
:)

Regardless Bevedere, you will always be furry and cuddly in my book. Your avatar and Cheap Josh's always make me smile and laugh. Awwww.....good times. :)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Wow, this thread is actually starting to pick up again! I was concerned for awhile that people had completely lost interest...
I had an excuse for not posting. I went through an unadulterated hell throughout the course of last week.

Also, I PMed Yoshididdy, so hopefully I hear from him soon.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Cheap_Josh did you pick sheik/yoshi or something? I tried to get back online but you were already gone, and my mom had to use the cpu, and then I had to eat supper. So yeah, good games, for once I had a good connection with someone, everyone else either has orange or red.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Sorry about that, I picked Zelda (not Shiek). I didn't know that mattered, but honestly I wasn't thinking straight, I wouldn't have wanted to risk shutting you off. But yeah good games, I really neeed the practice.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Sonic is cool and all, but I'd suggest finding a higher tiered character if you want to do well in tournaments, it's just the honest truth. I'd play C.falcon all the time, but he sucks, so I play T.link, lucario, marth, GaW and ROB.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
@Alphican, if we play we'd have at least a yellow connection (I usually get green connections with people near by)

Now to look at the bracket, I'm kind of excited.
Also is it too late to switch characters for this first tourney. I'm thinking about Switching Zelda for Peach (I've been neglecting Zelda lately and practicing with Peach more)

Shogun_Fox

Smash Ace
Sonic is cool and all, but I'd suggest finding a higher tiered character if you want to do well in tournaments, it's just the honest truth. I'd play C.falcon all the time, but he sucks, so I play T.link, lucario, marth, GaW and ROB.
Same here. I'd play as Captain Falcon all day if he was better lol.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I disagree. Play who you win with, and only who you win with. When you reach a level of competition in which your character seems ineffective, you can and should pick up someone else. However, choosing a character based solely on the fact that they're high tiered isn't going to do you a bit of good this early on.

Shogun_Fox

Smash Ace
I disagree. Play who you win with, and only who you win with. When you reach a level of competition in which your character seems ineffective, you can and should pick up someone else. However, choosing a character based solely on the fact that they're high tiered isn't going to do you a bit of good this early on.
that's true...thats the reason why i like Ness. Then again i dont believe in Brawl tiers. I believe in Melee tiers but not brawl tiers. All the characters are balanced in their own special ways. C.Falcon can't get past spam very well so use someone else that can lol. i just use him cuz i love getting the knees off lol. It gives me a slight euphoria.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
No, don't get me wrong. Some characters ARE inherently better than others. But tiers only effect the absolute metagame of competition, meaning they have no bearing on lower level competitive play.

Having someone choose characters based on tiers when they're not at the point in which they can define them is a bad decision.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yes, but if you start off with a good character, you don't have to make the switch over when you reach a higher level of play.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Not true. I know almost NO competitive players that still use the same character they began with, good or not. Changing mains as you develop your play style is an essential element to fighting games.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
No, what I said is true. I didn't state any opinion, just common sense. Re-read it; I said that if you pick a good character at first you won't have to switch from a bad character to a good one later on (if you choose to do so). Anyways, what you say is true aswell, but if you already know which character is good, and fits your playstyle relatively well then pick that character, because you will do naturally better.

If someone were to just pick up brawl and at first pick falcon and then pick MK, who do you think he will do better with? Obviously this is an extreme difference, but I am just pointing out an obvious concept. I am all for playing who you like, I still play y.link in melee, but when it comes down to business I will use fox or sheik.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. A bad Snake player is going to have to make the exact same transformation into a good Snake player as a bad Captain Falcon player. He's still going to have to learn all of the same strategies, tactics, and ATs to play at the highest level of competition regardless of who he used when he first begins to play. Whether he chooses Snake from the start is a moot point, because a bad Snake is like a completely different character from a good Snake anyway.

It's utterly pointless for someone to play as Snake or DeDeDe if they've just started playing. They're not beginner-friendly characters. All that picking them from the start will do is make you another sucky DeDeDe or Snake. It won't make you competitive.

And let's say you pick Snake right from the start and dedicate yourself entirely to using him and no one else. But what if it turns out your style of play is much better suited to Game & Watch? Even if you pick a high tier character to use, it's no guarantee that you'll use the one you like.

Not only that, but if you only use a select few characters on your way to the top, you will SUCK - and I mean SUCK at fighting someone who's good with a low tier character, because you're not familiar with their strengths and weaknesses. If you experiment with several different characters as you get better, you'll see what works and what doesn't with them. You'll see what tendencies beginners have when using them and be able to spot amateurs instantly.

And finally, a beginner basing their choices on tier positions as they are when he first starts playing has no guarantee that those tier positions will stay the same as he gets better.

In every way, shape, and form, if you focus on just a handful of characters, you WILL be less versatile, and you WILL progress slower in terms of skill. This is pretty much guaranteed.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
" but if you already know which character is good, and fits your playstyle relatively well then pick that character, because you will do naturally better." I did include fit yout playstyle. Obviously I meant you have to fiddle around with characters. I am saying find a good character that fits your play style rather than a bad one. Also find numerous characters to play so you can CP. Also you can better... A bad snake is different than a good snake, but if you start from scratch you won't be playing a generic snake,it will have your own little flare. It's just what ends up happening. And good characters just have better traits. When I talk about just starting brawl, I mean they just learned all the AT's, and are starting to learn the metagame, not they just picked up the game and don't know **** about it.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
A beginner doesn't have a noteworthy play style. Not to be mean to beginner players, but they really don't. Your style of play develops as you learn that there's more to the game than C-stick forward smashes.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
I played Fox from day one...But at the same time I've been part of making Fox for half the time brawl has been out.

Exception!

Really though, you need to be a good brawl player before you can be a good character. Good characters are good characters because they have attributes that when used right, make it inherently easier to win with them. However, a character's strengths won't lend themselves TO themselves, you need to be good enough to use them.

Honestly, if you want to get good at brawl, the best characters to learn are ones that force you to learn some aspects of the game more than others. If you look at the top tier characters, it's ASTOUNDING the immense diversity in how the characters are played. Each character is good in it's own right, but none of them will reward a poor player.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
Mr. Charmander! I would like to make an appointment for a bit of friendlies anytime you're available. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom