• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Wolf Discussion Thread [Updated March 22, 2008]

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
And well... the character graphics in Fox/Falco's special taunt are 64'd (Wolf doesn't have one here).

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Yeah, Corneria got nerfed. I used to love that stage... now I'm not so sure.

Not only is the stage itself smaller, but I think they shrunk the walls as well, the lasers from the Arwings do zero knockback, and the lasers on the front of Corneria are smaller. *sighs*

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I heard the arwings fire a lot more than before. Not sure though.

Btw, how's the video thing going?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, hopefully I can spark a bit of life into with this. I posted this in another thread, but I think it should also be put somewhere where more people may see it, and hopefully it can launch some conversation.

"I have an approach for Wolf... I've been tinkering around with him and I found that Wolf can control the match very well as long as another character doesn't have very good projectile spam (Falco comes to mind).

Call it something if you want to, don't call it anything if you don't think it should have a name. I call it the Wolf Wall, or WW. It's basically a WoP (Wall of Pain) with Jigglypuff, but Wolf style. Rather than WoPing horizontally, you Wolf Wall (wall = vertical) up and down.

Still clueless? You should be. His Bair is by far one of his best moves. Decent knockback... can kill at about 130% and does decent damage, but that's not the point... I don't think his bair should be used as a kill move. It should be your combo move, your match controlling move, and just a tool you use to your advantage.

You see, I noticed that wolf can double aerial full jump most of his aerials. For example, full jump bair bair, or bair fair, or uair uair, or bair uair, or dair bair, etc. The only thing you can't do is fair fair (his laggiest aerial next to dair, and besides, I think fair should be reserved as a killing move.).

Again, what am I getting at? Well, I'll make a video to show you more in-depth later, but you can short hop (or if you're Sakurai, small jump) his bair. Yes, hurrah, go you. But if you do it quickly and time it correctly, you can also double jump after this and bair again, and again, maybe even a third time, but I doubt it, or as an alternative you can just full jump bair > bair or full jump > bair > double jump > bair bair. His move comes out so fast and has long enough reach you can use it to space and combo people. You don't have to worry about it losing damage and knockback.

I think this will be a huge part of Wolf's metagame... so please heed me here. I, Kashakunaki, think this is an important aspect to Wolf's metagame and should be paid attention to. Wolf Walling, or WWing.

You might want to add WW and/or just the simple fact that Wolf can full jump double aerial to your first post in that other thread, Drack. I think it is very valid information."

Honestly, it's just a method to control and keep control of the match. It may sound silly on text, but when I get a video it should make more sense. Also, I noticed Wolf retains a few invincibility frames when he drops from the ledge, but not enough to make much of a difference.

Also, the running turn around bair technique (don't know the name) is very good with Wolf as well.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Well, hopefully I can spark a bit of life into with this. I posted this in another thread, but I think it should also be put somewhere where more people may see it, and hopefully it can launch some conversation.

"I have an approach for Wolf... I've been tinkering around with him and I found that Wolf can control the match very well as long as another character doesn't have very good projectile spam (Falco comes to mind).

Call it something if you want to, don't call it anything if you don't think it should have a name. I call it the Wolf Wall, or WW. It's basically a WoP (Wall of Pain) with Jigglypuff, but Wolf style. Rather than WoPing horizontally, you Wolf Wall (wall = vertical) up and down.

Still clueless? You should be. His Bair is by far one of his best moves. Decent knockback... can kill at about 130% and does decent damage, but that's not the point... I don't think his bair should be used as a kill move. It should be your combo move, your match controlling move, and just a tool you use to your advantage.

You see, I noticed that wolf can double aerial full jump most of his aerials. For example, full jump bair bair, or bair fair, or uair uair, or bair uair, or dair bair, etc. The only thing you can't do is fair fair (his laggiest aerial next to dair, and besides, I think fair should be reserved as a killing move.).

Again, what am I getting at? Well, I'll make a video to show you more in-depth later, but you can short hop (or if you're Sakurai, small jump) his bair. Yes, hurrah, go you. But if you do it quickly and time it correctly, you can also double jump after this and bair again, and again, maybe even a third time, but I doubt it, or as an alternative you can just full jump bair > bair or full jump > bair > double jump > bair bair. His move comes out so fast and has long enough reach you can use it to space and combo people. You don't have to worry about it losing damage and knockback.

I think this will be a huge part of Wolf's metagame... so please heed me here. I, Kashakunaki, think this is an important aspect to Wolf's metagame and should be paid attention to. Wolf Walling, or WWing.

You might want to add WW and/or just the simple fact that Wolf can full jump double aerial to your first post in that other thread, Drack. I think it is very valid information."

Honestly, it's just a method to control and keep control of the match. It may sound silly on text, but when I get a video it should make more sense. Also, I noticed Wolf retains a few invincibility frames when he drops from the ledge, but not enough to make much of a difference.

Also, the running turn around bair technique (don't know the name) is very good with Wolf as well.
Its the great wall of text, im tempted not to read it...

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I will test this technique.

EDIT: It works, and works well against humans. Added Kashakunaki's decription to the guide.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
It's more vertical, due to Wolf's jumping height, however, it can very well be horizontal. You can do it through a shield and land behind them so when they try to shield grab you you can punish.

Really, the great thing about this is there are some many ways you can mix up the bair attacks and approaches, you can keep your opponents on their toes, and if you land some solid hits you can continue to hit them to the edge of the stage.

Aye. I've been playing some computers and it doesn't work too well against them, but then again, nothing has worked well agains their super human abilities. I found this work well against humans as well. Thank you for taking note of it Drack.

The GERM

Smash Ace
Start of a new era

To those who know who I am or are familiar with my melee career, you'd know I mained Link for 7 long long years. 7 Long years I stuck with my main through the ups and the downs regardless of tiers. Picking up brawl, I found Link plays exactly the same fu**ing way he did in melee and I couldn't be more bored with him. I do not want to waste the coming years doing the same sh** I did in melee for so long. With that said, I'd like to announce that I'm officially dropping Link for good and he won't be coming back. I have no idea where Wolf will land on the tier list, but he was instantly my favorite character in brawl, and the one that suits my style the best. Long story short, I've been playing nothing but Wolf all day and night and am now a 100% Wolf main. There's only room for one big bad Wolf, the race is over.

-The GERM ~ DBR

XACE-K

Smash Master
To those who know who I am or are familiar with my melee career, you'd know I mained Link for 7 long long years. 7 Long years I stuck with my main through the ups and the downs regardless of tiers. Picking up brawl, I found Link plays exactly the same fu**ing way he did in melee and I couldn't be more bored with him. I do not want to waste the coming years doing the same sh** I did in melee for so long. With that said, I'd like to announce that I'm officially dropping Link for good and he won't be coming back. I have no idea where Wolf will land on the tier list, but he was instantly my favorite character in brawl, and the one that suits my style the best. Long story short, I've been playing nothing but Wolf all day and night and am now a 100% Wolf main. There's only room for one big bad Wolf, the race is over.

-The GERM ~ DBR
*applauds The GERM because of an epic Wolf speech*

Patinator

Smash Champion
...Oh. My. God. GERM?! You're one of the best Link mains in the world! I'm a bit of a fan... ^^;

Well, it certainly is nice knowing that there are SOME rpos who will play Brawl competitively. And one of them is GERM, honorary Wolf main!!! :O

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i woulda loved to just run around on all fours for the sake of being...wolf-like

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Wall kick = Wall jump

Nice to see ya, Germ. I look forward to competeting with you for the number one Wolf title.

WWing works well against any character without very good projectile spam. It does not work very well against Dedede and Falco, for example. However, it works extra well on tall characters such as Snake, Ganondorf, Bowser, and Dedede (middle child here).

I imagine it will work very well against Fox, but not so much Falco. It also seems to me to have good priority, so you should be able to kick Samus' missles, for example, without much of a problem.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Just about everything. The only moves that are almost exactly carbon copied from Fox to Wolf are the Side B, which goes up slightly instead of straight, Neutral B, which is slower and more powerful than Falco's Blaster, and of course, the BACON/Final Smash, but even then the Landmasters have differences.

I don't really know about Wolf's statistics compared to Fox's, though. A little help, Kash?

Leonhart

Smash Apprentice
Wow...I was really misinformed. Who do you think so far, is the best of the three? I heard on another thread that Fox' rating was going to go way down beacuse of all of the changes in brawl. Although, it's probably too early to tell.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Wow...I was really misinformed. Who do you think so far, is the best of the three? I heard on another thread that Fox' rating was going to go way down beacuse of all of the changes in brawl. Although, it's probably too early to tell.
I'm-a hoping Wolf, and so far, I think I'm right. Fox's Melee killing moves, aside from Shine Spiking (Which... Well, I don't think is effective, actually. Then again, I play CPU's all the time. :(), are nerfed, being Up Smash and U-Air. Although, his F-Smash is Falco's Melee F-Smash, and by that I mean power wise.

Falco, I don't know much about, except that he uses his Shine like a boomerang.

Statistics as in weight and speed and what not?
Yup.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Wolf is pretty average. Relative to Fox and Wolf, I couldn't really say, but I'll try and give some generaltions.

Wolf is slow... travel slow. His moves, almost all of them, come out fast. Very fast. They also have slightly above average power to them, interesting hitboxes, etc. Though, about half of his moves have pretty bad ending lag, but most have very nice range to them.

So in terms of moving speed, slow, but in terms of attacks = good range, fast, and decent power
Pretty well balanced.

Falco plays entirely differently, but he is very good still it seems. I could go into him but I don't think it is necessary... his jab is amazing, though. Fox I have played very little despite wanting to use him as a top used character, I just find him surprisingly uninteresting.

I think in terms of the Star Fox characters
1. Wolf
2. Falco
3. Fox

Falco could potentially replace Wolf, but right now it seems to me Wolf holds the number one best Star Fox character spot so far.

Top Bottom