• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
What instance is there that Gdub damages himself?
When he gets a 1 on his forward B.

I'm only stating what I thought of him. I know there's a chance that he won't be in the next one, but I'm just hoping he's in because I found him a lot more fun than Pikachu for some reason.

I know there wasn't a need to include Pichu in Melee in the first place, but was there a need to include some others like Doctor Mario? It all ends up being what Sakurai decides anyways, so not much point in arguing for me :ohwell:.

P3L!C@N

Smash Cadet
When he gets a 1 on his forward B.

I'm only stating what I thought of him. I know there's a chance that he won't be in the next one, but I'm just hoping he's in because I found him a lot more fun than Pikachu for some reason.

I know there wasn't a need to include Pichu in Melee in the first place, but was there a need to include some others like Doctor Mario? It all ends up being what Sakurai decides anyways, so not much point in arguing for me :ohwell:.
I agree. Pichu and Dr. Mario are similar to their counter parts, but they have their respective differences. I think the creators did this to provide a different aspect/view of Mario and Pikachu. Who knows?

The point is, whether or not Pichu or Dr. Mario are in brawl, the fact of the matter is that they are in Melee right now. Even if they are put into brawl, you know that at least some parts of their movesets would be different than what they are now.

It's all in the hands of the creators now, and frankly, there's little we can do about it apart from providing ideas they MIGHT consider.

cheers.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
bowser should be in brawl agreeing with residentevil,

and the clones need to go. whether that means change movesets or whatever, that just never needs to happen again. the only clone i would even vote in would be ganondorf.

the others can, and i play most of the clones, but just introduce new characters archetypes rather than having differences between two characters

Corin

Smash Lord
I was surprised when I opened up this topic and looked at all of the people talking about how much Ness sucks. As someone who uses him regularly, I've gotten used to him. Like any other character you've gotta find the strong points and use them to your advantage.

The debate about Pichu, too. His moveset is certainly very similar to Pikachu's, however, he IS faster, I don't care if his up+B is different, one move doesn't make much difference, but he DOES hurt himself. But in saying this - not ALL of his moves hurt him. This is where playing experience comes in handy. Pichu is perfectly capable of killing someone without harming himself. His down+B lightning attack, for instance, only hurts him if it connects with his body, and his physical moves don't hurt him at all.

You just have to get used to him.

I believe Ness should be in Brawl, I'll be sad if he's not. As for Pichu, I like the little guy, but it doesn't matter to me whether he stays or goes. Dr. Mario.. I always just found him to be annoying - the noises he makes, and his similarities to Mario's character. Who suggested Peach should be taken out? Seems pretty silly to take out the Princess of Mushroom Kingdom. She's had her fair share of action before, she can handle herself.

It'd really be nice if they just kept everyone and added tons more in. I can understand it'd be difficult, as a 3-D fighting game to do that, with the graphics all us fans expect. But it would still be nice..

Corin

Smash Lord
It is difficult, especially against faster players with strong spikes. But don't use it unless you have to, then. Keep it in reserve. If you're going to die if you don't use it, then use it anyways. You might still die, or you might save yourself.

Apart from getting back onto the stage, I don't think you should be using it anyways since it renders him totally helpless. Stick with his other physical moves and don't let yourself get carried off the sides. Easier to say than do, I know. But it's possible.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
It is difficult, especially against faster players with strong spikes. But don't use it unless you have to, then. Keep it in reserve. If you're going to die if you don't use it, then use it anyways. You might still die, or you might save yourself.

Apart from getting back onto the stage, I don't think you should be using it anyways since it renders him totally helpless. Stick with his other physical moves and don't let yourself get carried off the sides. Easier to say than do, I know. But it's possible.
i know all of this but if ur coming back. u got to use it. even tho is jump goes pretty high and far. u still need it and it isint very handy or quik.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I realize this is coming pretty late and the issues here may have been covered. If that's the case, ignore whatever's redundant.

Pichu: There is not one thing original about him, plus he loses health. Therefore, he should go.
Nothing original about Pichu? Hmm, let's see about that.:

a) Pikachu's dsmash uses electricity and sends the opponent up, whereas pichu's is non-electric and will send the opponent flying more horizontally (and downward if hit correctly).

b) Pikachu's usmash takes more time but has much more range, and can make an easy KO at ~90%. Pichu's usmash takes less time but requires accuracy. It has very little range, but can KO at ~60%. As a matter of fact, the same goes with their fsmash.

c) Pikachu's side-b a more predictable and shorter charge time, for it to do less damage. Pichu has a longer max charge time, and is much less predictable to less experienced players.

Those are really the major differences. I figure it's not necessary to go into the details of the minor differences in other attacks. And this is also keeping in mind that pichu is faster, harder to grab, and can do crazy chain grabs against a wall for about 50%.

Dr. Mario: Pretty much the same deal as Pichu except he doesnt hurt himself.
Dr. Mario and Pichu are incredibly different characters. I understand them being the same in terms of them being clones of other characters; but their playstyle is totally different.

And Doc to Mario: 2 points: magnetic hands and fsmash.

(not to mention pill spam being more awesome than fireballs)

Roy: He'll be replaced by another Fire Emblem character.
This one's harder to defend because Roy in general has few good traits. Yeah his usmash is awesome when it hits... and yeah getting an instakill with his up-b is impressive.. but do either of those things happen against pro players? Rarely. Fire's cool and all, but Marth's tip is better by far. Unlikely hed be replaced, but still possible I suppose. Remember, Nintendo isn't basing their changes off of movesets per se. More so the popularity of a character. Last I checked there are plenty of people who like Roy.

Mewtwo: He has a lot of potential. If they make him a little heavier, a little faster and replace most of his B move he can be VERY good.
This I would agree with, however they should keep his specific physics. One new thing in Melee was that each character had very different physics, which made play-style not all about the moveset. The physics they chose for mewtwo (floaty and slow) make sense for him. Changing his moves around would be nice, but in my opinion, trying to make Mewtwo a top-teir character would require a completely different move set... and I'd almost rather see Mewtwo make it without a complete change. As you said, he's got potential; but I see potential with the moves he currently has. Maybe just tweaked a bit.

G&W: Something tells me he was a one time character only.
It would make more sense to me if they made G&W a starting character in the next game. The Ice-Climbers maybe not so much, but, G&W was the very first Nintendo game ever. And he's really **** good as a character. Yeah, it's possible he might go, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have more sense than to take away one of their most original characters.

Young Link: I like him but I think hes gonna go. Makes sense considering he hasnt been used in a while, plus he wasnt very original. Maybe they could make Link a little quicker.
False. Young Link may not be there as himself... but if anything replaced by WindWaker Link. Same/similar moveset and cel-shaded.

Young Link is very different than Link as it is... it would be a shame if he went. Though I wont go on and on about this one because I already know I'm biased... seeing as how I main YL xD

Falco: He need more added to him. He has some potential also.
Potential for what? To have more pwn than he already does? Falco, as it is, is a great character. Short-hop laser to dair to shine to pillar/uair/dair spike? It's pretty much win.

Gannondorf: They need to strip all his moves away and start from the begining. They should keep his weight and power though.
I'm wondering if your hatred towards some of these good characters (Doc, Gannon, Falco) is because you lose to them often? Ganon is such a good character. Overpowering but deathly slow. No grab radius, but can chain grab like mad if you get caught. And playing him actually takes some skill. It's more difficult to short-hop dair than it looks. I wouldn't even want to consider him a Capt. Falcon clone because his moves work very differently. The same motions, and different effects.

And to completey change sides: IF Gannon were to change, they'd have to give him his sword and a moveset based around it. Then I would approve.

Jigglypuff: Needs more speed.
So he can kill you faster? I "rest" my case.

Oh hey there I made a funny.

Yoshi: I never like his size. He'stoo big. They should make him smaller but add more power. He's like a big light weight.
I can't say much for Yoshi... over-all he's a difficult character to play. But I can't say he's all bad either. I had a roomate who mained Yoshi, and would pull-off every spike and down-b edge sweetspot for really low-% KO's. Playing a good Yoshi is very impressive, but only worthwhile in a low-teir matchup. They could change some proportions in terms of his speed and power, but his size looks about right to me. I mean, c'mon. Mario's supposed to ride that thing, right? Plus, every character can't be the best. By beefing up the less playable characters, you're just evening everyone out until it's like SSB64 and it's all about making that first hit.

As for the Master Hand, he'd need to be scaled down quite a bit to be playable.
I don't think anyone should have taken that suggestion seriously... it is a HAND. there is not a single character in SSBM that isn't humanoid (two arms, two legs).

Corin

Smash Lord
i know all of this but if ur coming back. u got to use it. even tho is jump goes pretty high and far. u still need it and it isint very handy or quik.
honestly? I've never had trouble with it. But again, out of everyone I've played the game with, I've always been the better player.

His up and B, at slowest time, would take two seconds to connect from firing and hitting. I'm doing the math in my head, this puts him going at a 45* angle left or right, depending which edge of the stage you're off. A lot of the negativity to do with that move is just griping about personal inability to pull it off. Though I can understand where it would get frustrating.

Practice and perfect, as long as you can aim yourself, you can choose to fall lower than the stage edge and still make it back up. You just have to be sure to leave enough room that you'll land on the stage to prevent against edge-guarding.

I don't have personal experience against skilled players, so please don't attack me or anything if any of this is faulty (I mean the second paragraph, not the first.). Due to lack of experience I'm forced to create hypothetical situations in my head. It sounds like it works, so I'm saying it.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
a good player like a decent falco or anywun cud just jump out and get in the way of the pkthunder thing so it hits them and not u. and watch and laugh ta u falling to ur doom. or while ur there trying to use it they cud just jump ta u and spike u to ur doom. so thats the main reason i dont like that move. but besides that and his yo yo's ness is a good character.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Though I hate to say it (Because I loves the pills), Doc is probably gone. His main advantage of a Fair being his best KO move just got replaced by good old Mario Mario.

I didn't see any similarities to Pichu that Pikachu had in the new trailer, but that's probably for the best. Tiddy-boom.

smashmv

Smash Apprentice
I realize this is coming pretty late and the issues here may have been covered. If that's the case, ignore whatever's redundant.

Nothing original about Pichu? Hmm, let's see about that.:

a) Pikachu's dsmash uses electricity and sends the opponent up, whereas pichu's is non-electric and will send the opponent flying more horizontally (and downward if hit correctly).

b) Pikachu's usmash takes more time but has much more range, and can make an easy KO at ~90%. Pichu's usmash takes less time but requires accuracy. It has very little range, but can KO at ~60%. As a matter of fact, the same goes with their fsmash.

c) Pikachu's side-b a more predictable and shorter charge time, for it to do less damage. Pichu has a longer max charge time, and is much less predictable to less experienced players.

Those are really the major differences. I figure it's not necessary to go into the details of the minor differences in other attacks. And this is also keeping in mind that pichu is faster, harder to grab, and can do crazy chain grabs against a wall for about 50%.

Dr. Mario and Pichu are incredibly different characters. I understand them being the same in terms of them being clones of other characters; but their playstyle is totally different.

And Doc to Mario: 2 points: magnetic hands and fsmash.

(not to mention pill spam being more awesome than fireballs)

This one's harder to defend because Roy in general has few good traits. Yeah his usmash is awesome when it hits... and yeah getting an instakill with his up-b is impressive.. but do either of those things happen against pro players? Rarely. Fire's cool and all, but Marth's tip is better by far. Unlikely hed be replaced, but still possible I suppose. Remember, Nintendo isn't basing their changes off of movesets per se. More so the popularity of a character. Last I checked there are plenty of people who like Roy.

This I would agree with, however they should keep his specific physics. One new thing in Melee was that each character had very different physics, which made play-style not all about the moveset. The physics they chose for mewtwo (floaty and slow) make sense for him. Changing his moves around would be nice, but in my opinion, trying to make Mewtwo a top-teir character would require a completely different move set... and I'd almost rather see Mewtwo make it without a complete change. As you said, he's got potential; but I see potential with the moves he currently has. Maybe just tweaked a bit.

It would make more sense to me if they made G&W a starting character in the next game. The Ice-Climbers maybe not so much, but, G&W was the very first Nintendo game ever. And he's really **** good as a character. Yeah, it's possible he might go, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have more sense than to take away one of their most original characters.

False. Young Link may not be there as himself... but if anything replaced by WindWaker Link. Same/similar moveset and cel-shaded.

Young Link is very different than Link as it is... it would be a shame if he went. Though I wont go on and on about this one because I already know I'm biased... seeing as how I main YL xD

Potential for what? To have more pwn than he already does? Falco, as it is, is a great character. Short-hop laser to dair to shine to pillar/uair/dair spike? It's pretty much win.

I'm wondering if your hatred towards some of these good characters (Doc, Gannon, Falco) is because you lose to them often? Ganon is such a good character. Overpowering but deathly slow. No grab radius, but can chain grab like mad if you get caught. And playing him actually takes some skill. It's more difficult to short-hop dair than it looks. I wouldn't even want to consider him a Capt. Falcon clone because his moves work very differently. The same motions, and different effects.

And to completey change sides: IF Gannon were to change, they'd have to give him his sword and a moveset based around it. Then I would approve.

So he can kill you faster? I "rest" my case.

Oh hey there I made a funny.

I can't say much for Yoshi... over-all he's a difficult character to play. But I can't say he's all bad either. I had a roomate who mained Yoshi, and would pull-off every spike and down-b edge sweetspot for really low-% KO's. Playing a good Yoshi is very impressive, but only worthwhile in a low-teir matchup. They could change some proportions in terms of his speed and power, but his size looks about right to me. I mean, c'mon. Mario's supposed to ride that thing, right? Plus, every character can't be the best. By beefing up the less playable characters, you're just evening everyone out until it's like SSB64 and it's all about making that first hit.

I don't think anyone should have taken that suggestion seriously... it is a HAND. there is not a single character in SSBM that isn't humanoid (two arms, two legs).
I don't hate anyone I was just saying what I would like to see with done with Gannondorf, I never said I hated him. I like Falco. Dr. Mario is not much better than Mario. The character of Young Link will go. That's what I meant. I barley see a difference in Pichu and Pikachu. The only people I said I don't like are Pichu and Dr. Mario. I never said I would like the Master Hand to be in it I was just saying what they would probally have to do to make him playable.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
LOL I need to stop making my posts sound like attacks against people. I was just defending each subject at hand. You had just incorperated many of the controversial topics in this thread on one post, making it the easiest one to reference.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Didja really have to quote the whole thing, smashmv?

Anyway, I'll make my own changes/cut list.

Dr. Mario: Bring him back but take out Mario, give him Mario's clothes, make his sheet yellow, change his pills into fireballs, change his name to Mario, and BAM problem solved.

Luigi: Definately have him return but make his uppercut angled again and trade out his forward B move for something decent looking and functional. Also, maybe change his dash attack.

Bowser: Bring him back and change his dash animation and his dash attack lag (and lag in general). Maybe give him Mario's forward A (ROFFLE ROFFLE ROFFLE) and have his up B move end like Mario's down B (ROFFLE ROFFLE ROFFLE, again).

Peach: Bring her back, as well, and maybe give her her parasol as a main means of attack and lower the number of spins in her down smash.

Yoshi: Bring him back, too, and lengthen his tongue and give him a new forward B move.
(From this point on, just assume I want them back unless I say otherwise)
Donkey Kong: make his forward b chargeable and at full power have him throw a Mario or DK mini that spikes on impact. And give him a separate down B move in the air.

Captain Falcon: Can't really think of anything for him...maybe make only make him prone after missing his forward B for a second or two?

Ganondorf: Redo his character using his TP model and TWW swords and maybe a OoT spell or two.

Falco: As much as I like him, I wouldn't mind his removal if he's replaced by a decent SF character. If he does return, give his smashes and reflector more start-up lag...I just feel so cheap playing as him. Also, they should just ditch his whole "fast falling character" thing. A few more unique animations from Fox would be cool.

Fox: Same changes as done to Falco but with less screaming.

Ness: I love Ness to death but, if they want to replace him with Lucas in an effort to get a FE-like reaction on if they should release Mother 3 in the US, then I'm all for it. For either of them, though, I think they should do something like I said with Peach and make his bat his main (ground) weapon. His yo-yo should be strengthened (which I know a good majority of people agree with) and his psy moves should be a bit faster but have PK fire have less knockback and keep the after lag on PK Thunder.

Ice Climbers: I can't really think of anything. Maybe make the glaciers have less start up lag. Oh yeah, maybe they could, instead of just having them mimic each other, actually have speparate duo moves for the second person (IE one jumps a little, swing upwards while the other follows with a ground sweep). Maybe have, like, a desperate attack where you through your partner for a ton of damage and knockback but, depending on the position, you could lose them.

Kirby: I can't really think of anything for him. Maybe give him the slash from KSS that led up to the Final Cutter. Oh, and give him back his old dash attack.

Samus: Can't really think of anything for standard Samus. Maybe make her up smash (and foward aerial A move) more useful.

Zelda: Definately lose Sheik and give her a sword and arrows and more magic.

Link: As my main character, I might be biased, but get rid of some lag and, well, the Link in TP runs faster than the OoT one so they could increase his speed a little, too. Other than that, I can't really think of anything besides all the little move by move annoyances. Oh yeah, his neutral A combo should be four hits now as per TWW and TP.

Young Link: Change him like I said for Ganondorf except make him with The Hero of Winds design redone TP style (maybe have him look kinda like Colin size in TP [maybe Colin is The Wind Waker's ancestor!?!?!?!?] but with Hero's Clothes from TWW done in TP style detail and shading). But, instead of just drawing from TWW, draw from every Zelda game (besides TP). Like, give him the Cane of Somaria for his up B, which, in the air, he'd create a block under his feet and jump off of it (the block'd disappear after he pushed off). On the ground it'd create an indestructable, immovable block that's too tall to walk or run or short hop the mininum height over but too short to combo off of (GFAHAHAHAHAHAHA...). And also give him other classic not so classic Zelda items like a hammer maybe (if Pit doesn't have his [unless Y. Link's is of considerable size]) or maybe something like the deku leaf or something.

Pichu: I don't really care if it stays or goes; maybe give Pikachu Pichu's superior moves, maybe make Pikachu's Thunderbolt's thunderbolt have the same pulling up effect that Pichu does.

Pikachu: Besides the changes gained from Pichu, change his forward B to something more practical.
Jigglypuff: Another one I don't care for (despite my love of Pokemon). Can't really think of anything since she serves her purpose just fine

Mewtwo: Definately needs some changes if it makes it back. Increase the range on it's down and forward B moves (if they're not replaced altogether). Maybe make the forward B an airless "updraft" that sends airborn enemies into a tumble along with doing damge with no knockback. It's speed and weight are fine, maybe bump them up a notch or two but get rid of some of it's lag.

Mr. Game & Watch: I'd love to see him come back but he needs to lose a bit of lag first (frame by frame is cool but not when it's that slow...). Everything else about him is just awesome.

Marth: Should definately stay, however, if Roy is taken out, changed, or replaced in any way, the tip shouldn't be in anymore. If his moves aren't changed, make his damage an average between tipped and non-tipped. If his moves are changed, like his moves are just a single strong attack (save for two or three moves) in each direction or he switches to a two-handed sword fighting style, then make it a little bit higher than the average.

Roy: Another character I don't really care for, even though I do prefer his overall feel over Marth's. Unless he loses his lag, sheer disadvantages compared to Marth, or gains his actual mobility from his game, I'd rather he be replaced by another FE character.

On a side note, would anyone miss being able to charge smashes if they took the option out?

Probably my longest post ever...>.< (Don't quote the whole thing if you respond!!!)

icymatt

Smash Lord
Because people are always looking for new reasons for them to take out Dr. Mario, even though "He was filler in Melee" would suffice.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Because people are always looking for new reasons for them to take out Dr. Mario, even though "He was filler in Melee" would suffice.
There's also the fact that the properites on Mario's Fair in the new Brawl trailer are identical to Doc's Fair from Melee.
Peach: Bring her back, as well, and maybe give her her parasol as a main means of attack and lower the number of spins in her down smash.
God yes.

That attack wouldn't irritate me so much if it wasn't completely baseless: where the hell did it come from in the games? Why does she generate her own center of gravity when she does it?

Stryks

Smash Hero
well the fact that he IS a filler doesnt matter? Sakurai mentioned he didnt had enough time to add more character so he just make fillers (doc, pichu, ylink) to fill the missing slots, dox is gone, hes just mario with a lab coat that throws pills, cmon if u guys main him or something many will go "but hwes better than mario and cantr go!" well... he can, and will just because hes better wont mean hes stayin, the most probable thing they will usre the pros of doc mario and put them in mario mario... sakurai havin all the time in the world (at least til 2008) will add more unique characters than y. link and pichu and doc... so just say good bye to doc XD...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Mr. Game & Watch: I'd love to see him come back but he needs to lose a bit of lag first (frame by frame is cool but not when it's that slow...). Everything else about him is just awesome.
I too think Mr. game & Watch needs to be back. Here are some arguments and counter-arguments to his while being

Argument
n00b 1 said:
he is just a gimik and melee's WTF!?!?! charcter so he shuldn't be in he wuld just get boring to unlock him last again and again take him and out replace him
Counter-ArgumentNess was SSB64's last unlockaled character and WTF character. Did he make it out? no, he was a starter. It makes sense to have a character that was unlockable in Melee to be a starter in Brawl. I excepct Marth, G&W, or a unique Luigi as a starter.

Argument
n00b 2 said:
noone noes his game brawl shuld have more wii and popular charcter no more retro crap noone cares about
Counter-ArgumentSakurai HIMSELF said he wants to avoid stuff like this. Sure, there may be Wii characters (M-09 from Project H.A.M.M.E.R) and all around popular choices (Diddy Kong, Ridley, Little Mac, Wolf/Krystal), but where's the fun in that? After I heard about trophies, I was expecting some Game and Watch gear/games to show, I prayed for a Manhole themed level, and Sakurai ansewred our prayers more than I thought was possible. Besides, anyone complaining about Pit?

Argument
n00b 3 said:
he sux and is low tier crap there neds to be more character liek marth and falco and shiek that wuld rock
Counter-ArgumentIf all you play is Marth, falco, and Shiek, you really aren't enjoying this game. The tier list is crap. Game and Watch is a DEVESTATING character to face, most people aare use to the speed and chain of Sheik and Marth they think all characters that aren't like that are crap, so good characters like Mr. Game and watch, Ness, DK, and the like are all put down.

Sure, there are more reasons, but the most that come up are these three. There are reasonable answers to all anti-G&W statements, but these are the most commonly said (and spelled) ones

My two cents. Here's to Mr. Game and Watch for Brawl:bigthumbu !

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Mario: Bring him back but take out Mario, give him Mario's clothes, make his sheet yellow, change his pills into fireballs, change his name to Mario, and BAM problem solved.
So you would prefer if Mario just took over doc's moveset and physics? I dunno, their air-game still makes them very different characters to play. I can't say I enjoy playing Mario too much as he is now, but I'm sure you could find someone who does.

Luigi: Definately have him return but make his uppercut angled again and trade out his forward B move for something decent looking and functional. Also, maybe change his dash attack.
You realize that his forward-b is his recovery, right? It's not like you can get anywhere with the up-b. I would agree that his dash attack sucks, but I've found it decent to catch people off guard, and at a high-enough percentage, a good combo-starter for short-hop fair.

Bowser: Bring him back and change his dash animation and his dash attack lag (and lag in general). Maybe give him Mario's forward A (ROFFLE ROFFLE ROFFLE) and have his up B move end like Mario's down B (ROFFLE ROFFLE ROFFLE, again).
Uh, you aren't serious right? This is the same sort of thing where people want to make bad characters average. It defeats the purpose of making some characters inherently better than others. If you don't like the "good" characters... learn how to pwn with the bad ones. Not only is it possible, but it's more impressive.

(and on a side-note... Bowser's dash animation is awesome. xD )

And this is on the opposite side of the teir list... trying to make good characters average. Lower the number of spins? Why? And what move would you use the parasol to replace? If you use any answer other than down-b (which is only good to piss people off) I'm going to say you're wrong :D

Yoshi: Bring him back, too, and lengthen his tongue and give him a new forward B move.
If anything a new up-b. The forward-b has pretty even pros and cons, but I have trouble finding any pros in yoshi's up-b.

Donkey Kong: make his forward b chargeable and at full power have him throw a Mario or DK mini that spikes on impact. And give him a separate down B move in the air.
Uhm, I do believe it is chargeable. When you charge him up, it works for his neutral-b, forward-b, and down-b (I'm pretty sure... I hardly ever play DK). And down-b has never really been an important airial move for most characters. (And what is this throwing "Mario or DK mini?!" It sounds kind of rediculous if you ask me).

Captain Falcon: Can't really think of anything for him...maybe make only make him prone after missing his forward B for a second or two?

His forward-b already includes a rather effective sway and has incredible range. If you miss with it, you probably shouldn't have used it in the first place and deserve the lag they slap on you.

Ganondorf: Redo his character using his TP model and TWW swords and maybe a OoT spell or two.

This I can agree with because Ganon at least had potential with his own moveset. (as opposed to Mario/Doc, Pikachu/Pichu, Marth/Roy, Fox/Falco, Link/YL.... all of those made plenty of sense... but Capt. Falcon/Ganon?! Where the hell did they make that connection?!)

Falco: As much as I like him, I wouldn't mind his removal if he's replaced by a decent SF character. If he does return, give his smashes and reflector more start-up lag...I just feel so cheap playing as him. Also, they should just ditch his whole "fast falling character" thing. A few more unique animations from Fox would be cool.
Once again, the physics of the space animals are what make them so unique. Giving all the characters the same or very similar physics would really lower the quality of game play and the importance of choosing your character wisely. Falco's shine doesn't need any start-up lag. Even with lag, when a player shines and jump cancels, the shine is always up for longer than it needs to be just because of the player's reaction time. The lag would mean very little.

Fox: Same changes as done to Falco but with less screaming.
Yeah space animals in general are annoying sounding D: But I'd still prefer that they don't change it. I've grown rather fond of the way Melee characters are. I would rather see less change and just more adding.

Ness: I love Ness to death but, if they want to replace him with Lucas in an effort to get a FE-like reaction on if they should release Mother 3 in the US, then I'm all for it. For either of them, though, I think they should do something like I said with Peach and make his bat his main (ground) weapon. His yo-yo should be strengthened (which I know a good majority of people agree with) and his psy moves should be a bit faster but have PK fire have less knockback and keep the after lag on PK Thunder.
I'm almost wondering if you know what you're talking about. Ness' yo-yo was way over-powered in SSB64, so they toned it down. Where would you put the use of his bat if it would be his main weapon (AND if you wanted to keep the yo-yo)? Less knockback with a PK fire would make for an invincible PK fire to fully-charged bat combo. As it is, people can pull that off... as long as they're skilled enough. I would put that suggestion on the same level as some people saying "Make wavedashing easier!"

Ice Climbers: I can't really think of anything. Maybe make the glaciers have less start up lag. Oh yeah, maybe they could, instead of just having them mimic each other, actually have speparate duo moves for the second person (IE one jumps a little, swing upwards while the other follows with a ground sweep). Maybe have, like, a desperate attack where you through your partner for a ton of damage and knockback but, depending on the position, you could lose them.
Nintendo has made the Ice Climbers duo focus on teamwork for their attacks. I highly doubt they would want to have such a sado-masochistic attack. As it is, a pro ice-climber can desynchthe two... which is effective enough to piss-off and ultimately to pwn their opponent. Desynced extended grab combos ftw ;p

Kirby: I can't really think of anything for him. Maybe give him the slash from KSS that led up to the Final Cutter. Oh, and give him back his old dash attack.
No comment here, as I know nothing about this character. I've never played Kirby (consistently) and I've never seen anyone play Kirby as a main or even a second/third.

Samus: Can't really think of anything for standard Samus. Maybe make her up smash (and foward aerial A move) more useful.
Samus is very unique... so changing her would require quite a bit. There's really no other character (other than maybe link?) that you could compare her moveset to, so there's little way to know what would be good for her or not. As it is I think she'd be alright.

Zelda: Definately lose Sheik and give her a sword and arrows and more magic.
You get a big FALSE on that one. Lose Shiek?! If you had any sense you'd have phrased that, "Make Shiek a seperate playable character." Sword?! Arrows?!! Okay... I could tolerate your line of thinking until this one. With the addition of Meta-Knight and Pit, not to meantion Link, Young Link, Marth, and Roy... WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE SWORDS! And if Pit is gonna use arrows like they say, no more arrows either. And how can you say more magic?! All of Zelda's moves are magic... even most of her smashes. Everything but her airial moves and tilts. Sorry, but a comment like that and all you'll get from me is RANTRANTRANT***************.

Link: As my main character, I might be biased, but get rid of some lag and, well, the Link in TP runs faster than the OoT one so they could increase his speed a little, too. Other than that, I can't really think of anything besides all the little move by move annoyances. Oh yeah, his neutral A combo should be four hits now as per TWW and TP.
TWW only really applies to Young Link, but I see what you mean. I main Young Link because Link's got so much lag. Not to meantion the steeper boomerang angles, and fire-arrows to add to the knockback. His recovery and horizontal airial movement (and DI) is much better than Link's. But Link's got plenty of pros as well... so I can't say they should change him. If anything, just their skin (TP Link, TWW Young Link).

Young Link: Change him like I said for Ganondorf except make him with The Hero of Winds design redone TP style (maybe have him look kinda like Colin size in TP [maybe Colin is The Wind Waker's ancestor!?!?!?!?] but with Hero's Clothes from TWW done in TP style detail and shading). But, instead of just drawing from TWW, draw from every Zelda game (besides TP). Like, give him the Cane of Somaria for his up B, which, in the air, he'd create a block under his feet and jump off of it (the block'd disappear after he pushed off). On the ground it'd create an indestructable, immovable block that's too tall to walk or run or short hop the mininum height over but too short to combo off of (GFAHAHAHAHAHAHA...). And also give him other classic not so classic Zelda items like a hammer maybe (if Pit doesn't have his [unless Y. Link's is of considerable size]) or maybe something like the deku leaf or something.
LOL okay now you've just gone into crazy fantasizing. (If you're serious though, by all means I appologize and I'll re-reply to this more seriously; most likely containing more critisizm to your personal tastes and ignorance of the game itself).

Pichu: I don't really care if it stays or goes; maybe give Pikachu Pichu's superior moves, maybe make Pikachu's Thunderbolt's thunderbolt have the same pulling up effect that Pichu does.
"Pulling up?" I know not of what you speak... and my roommate's low-teir main is Pichu. Never seen this "pulling-up" effect, at least nothing different from Pikachu's other than multiple, more powerful bolts.

Pikachu: Besides the changes gained from Pichu, change his forward B to something more practical.
It's practical for recovery. Having just the up-b would be kind of difficult. You've have to count on sweet-spotting so often. It's pretty hard to sweet-spot his up-b.

Mewtwo: Definately needs some changes if it makes it back. Increase the range on it's down and forward B moves (if they're not replaced altogether). Maybe make the forward B an airless "updraft" that sends airborn enemies into a tumble along with doing damge with no knockback. It's speed and weight are fine, maybe bump them up a notch or two but get rid of some of it's lag.

I could actually agree with this, just because Mewtwo right now is a pretty broken character. Okay, I don't really mean that... but it feels that way every time I play him. I love his physics and playstyle, but the moves just don't seem right for him supposedly being the most powerful pokemon, ya know? But then again I shouldn't be supporting any change in him, because i'm trying to fit in the context of the pokemon world... which is all-around irrelivant to the cause.

You need to see some pro G&W. They play him so smooth, it's almost like the lag doesn't exist. If you're talking about aireal's though, all you're missing is the L-cancle. You really have to be able to L-cancel G&W.

Marth: Should definately stay, however, if Roy is taken out, changed, or replaced in any way, the tip shouldn't be in anymore. If his moves aren't changed, make his damage an average between tipped and non-tipped. If his moves are changed, like his moves are just a single strong attack (save for two or three moves) in each direction or he switches to a two-handed sword fighting style, then make it a little bit higher than the average.
If you tkae out the tip than you lose the entire point of playing Marth. Playing Marth is all about your spacing... and very few characters people are concerned with spacing. Most of the time people are thinking, "Okay either I'm in range or out of range..." but no inbetween. With marth you have to actually think about that... and it plays a huge role in setting up combos. More knockback with the tip on almost every move, not only f-smash. Which will determine the placement of your opponent.

As Marth is, he's rather unique... even to Roy. There's no reason to change him really.

Roy: Another character I don't really care for, even though I do prefer his overall feel over Marth's. Unless he loses his lag, sheer disadvantages compared to Marth, or gains his actual mobility from his game, I'd rather he be replaced by another FE character.

As a matter of fact, Roy is pretty much the version of Marth that you wanted. The way you'd want Marth, you'd need to deal with that lag, otherwise he'd be a horribly unbalanced character (with all the fire like Roy has and whatnot). And why replace him with another FE character when Nintendo could just add one more. It's not like they wont have room.

(Don't quote the whole thing if you respond!!!)
LOL, well I took out a few things ;p

edit:

my god... do you people need to write essays to prove your points?

Yes.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
That attack wouldn't irritate me so much if it wasn't completely baseless: where the hell did it come from in the games? Why does she generate her own center of gravity when she does it?
Sorry to double post... but seirously how much of that page did you want me to take up?!

What do you mean by "generates her own center of gravity?" Everything has a center of gravity, and it's not generated. It's all a matter of where the pull is coming from and how the mass in the object is distributed.

If what you're going for is the pull on you when you get caught up in her spinning, that'd be due to centriptial force (or was it centrifugal? I always get them mixed up ;p)

but I think you get the point. And there are plenty of characters with plenty of moves that were never in their respective games. You find out where Fox, Capt. Falcon, Game&Watch, Shiek, etc... get most of their moves from and get back to me.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
So you would prefer if Mario just took over doc's moveset and physics? I dunno, their air-game still makes them very different characters to play. I can't say I enjoy playing Mario too much as he is now, but I'm sure you could find someone who does.
Well, yeah, this is just a matter of preference. If some clones disappear, I'm sure they'll live on somewhat through their cloned character. I didn't intend this to be a total list of changes, just a few fun things I thought up. I wouldn't mind it if every character was changed on a drastic level but people are so attached it's frightening.
You realize that his forward-b is his recovery, right? It's not like you can get anywhere with the up-b. I would agree that his dash attack sucks, but I've found it decent to catch people off guard, and at a high-enough percentage, a good combo-starter for short-hop fair.
I do, I just hate how it looks. I meant make his up B more like Mario's and change his foward B to a more...smooth looking move. Then again, I don't want to bring him back to being more like Mario. I agree about the dash attack, actually, everyone I play with yells at me for using it >.<.
Uh, you aren't serious right? This is the same sort of thing where people want to make bad characters average. It defeats the purpose of making some characters inherently better than others. If you don't like the "good" characters... learn how to pwn with the bad ones. Not only is it possible, but it's more impressive.

(and on a side-note... Bowser's dash animation is awesome. xD )
Heheh, well, I don't like the whole idea of a "tier list". I don't like the idea of characters just being plain worse or better than everyone else.
And this is on the opposite side of the teir list... trying to make good characters average. Lower the number of spins? Why? And what move would you use the parasol to replace? If you use any answer other than down-b (which is only good to piss people off) I'm going to say you're wrong :D
I love the attack it just feels cheap lasting that long. I meant using the parasol to turn her into a disjointed hitbox character, which may or may not be for the better, I guess. I just thought it might be interesting for some random change to her.
If anything a new up-b. The forward-b has pretty even pros and cons, but I have trouble finding any pros in yoshi's up-b.
Well, I'm pretty good with throwing eggs; I think it could be pulled off a little better, though. The forward B just seemed awkward to me and I had a hard time connecting.
Uhm, I do believe it is chargeable. When you charge him up, it works for his neutral-b, forward-b, and down-b (I'm pretty sure... I hardly ever play DK). And down-b has never really been an important airial move for most characters. (And what is this throwing "Mario or DK mini?!" It sounds kind of rediculous if you ask me).
Well...it's not. Charging the Giant Punch only effects the Giant Punch. Just because something has never been something before doesn't mean it can't be something now. ;p
For the mini thing...just trying to think of something to represent the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games. It pretty rediculous now that I think of it.
His forward-b already includes a rather effective sway and has incredible range. If you miss with it, you probably shouldn't have used it in the first place and deserve the lag they slap on you.
Yeah, that's true. It just irks me having moves other than up B's and aerial dodges induce the prone status. I mean, he floats there long enough afterwards to get counter attacked.
Once again, the physics of the space animals are what make them so unique. Giving all the characters the same or very similar physics would really lower the quality of game play and the importance of choosing your character wisely. Falco's shine doesn't need any start-up lag. Even with lag, when a player shines and jump cancels, the shine is always up for longer than it needs to be just because of the player's reaction time. The lag would mean very little.
Fast fallers just feel weird to me; it's probably just my logic sensors kicking in. I also just think it's weird that the reflector of all things is that fast starting up; they should account for the time it takes to reach done to the device and push the button.
Yeah space animals in general are annoying sounding D: But I'd still prefer that they don't change it. I've grown rather fond of the way Melee characters are. I would rather see less change and just more adding.
Well, I'm completely open to change, really, which is probably why I come up with all these unpopular ideas D:.
I'm almost wondering if you know what you're talking about. Ness' yo-yo was way over-powered in SSB64, so they toned it down. Where would you put the use of his bat if it would be his main weapon (AND if you wanted to keep the yo-yo)? Less knockback with a PK fire would make for an invincible PK fire to fully-charged bat combo. As it is, people can pull that off... as long as they're skilled enough. I would put that suggestion on the same level as some people saying "Make wavedashing easier!"
Not strengthened that much, of course. I meant have the bat and probably the yo-yo, too, replace all his physical moves, since he never fights with his hands in Earthbound, if I recall correctly.
I meant no knockback on PK Fire and make it into a more artichoke shaped flame like Entei's. As unique as they were, Ness attacks just felt funny to me.
Nintendo has made the Ice Climbers duo focus on teamwork for their attacks. I highly doubt they would want to have such a sado-masochistic attack. As it is, a pro ice-climber can desynchthe two... which is effective enough to piss-off and ultimately to pwn their opponent. Desynced extended grab combos ftw ;p
I love the Ice Climbers as they are, I just wanted something more natural looking. (I hate how they leak into each other...)
Samus is very unique... so changing her would require quite a bit. There's really no other character (other than maybe link?) that you could compare her moveset to, so there's little way to know what would be good for her or not. As it is I think she'd be alright.
I love her uniqueness. Those two moves just feel like ways of making you take more care as to what move your doing since making a mistake trying to her up tilt and neutral aerial makes her do these kinda lame moves...:o
You get a big FALSE on that one. Lose Shiek?! If you had any sense you'd have phrased that, "Make Shiek a seperate playable character." Sword?! Arrows?!! Okay... I could tolerate your line of thinking until this one. With the addition of Meta-Knight and Pit, not to meantion Link, Young Link, Marth, and Roy... WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE SWORDS! And if Pit is gonna use arrows like they say, no more arrows either. And how can you say more magic?! All of Zelda's moves are magic... even most of her smashes. Everything but her airial moves and tilts. Sorry, but a comment like that and all you'll get from me is RANTRANTRANT***************.
Sheik just feels old to me. Like she was a one time quirk for a then undeveloped character. Having both just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather it be one or the other and, since Zelda is moving on with Sheik, I picked Zelda.
TWW only really applies to Young Link, but I see what you mean. I main Young Link because Link's got so much lag. Not to meantion the steeper boomerang angles, and fire-arrows to add to the knockback. His recovery and horizontal airial movement (and DI) is much better than Link's. But Link's got plenty of pros as well... so I can't say they should change him. If anything, just their skin (TP Link, TWW Young Link).
Yeah, I think Link's just fine. With just the updated neutral combo and running speed, I'd be perfectly fine with him.
LOL okay now you've just gone into crazy fantasizing. (If you're serious though, by all means I appologize and I'll re-reply to this more seriously; most likely containing more critisizm to your personal tastes and ignorance of the game itself).
Heehee...I didn't think this one would fly. :/ I just the thought of the whole block mechanic one day and thought it might be an interesting twist.
"Pulling up?" I know not of what you speak... and my roommate's low-teir main is Pichu. Never seen this "pulling-up" effect, at least nothing different from Pikachu's other than multiple, more powerful bolts.
I could've sworn it pulled people up when it connected in mid-air.
It's practical for recovery. Having just the up-b would be kind of difficult. You've have to count on sweet-spotting so often. It's pretty hard to sweet-spot his up-b.
Those missile moves just feel weird to me. Maybe if they weren't so slow or showed some sort of means of propulsion it wouldn't look so darn weird...
I could actually agree with this, just because Mewtwo right now is a pretty broken character. Okay, I don't really mean that... but it feels that way every time I play him. I love his physics and playstyle, but the moves just don't seem right for him supposedly being the most powerful pokemon, ya know? But then again I shouldn't be supporting any change in him, because i'm trying to fit in the context of the pokemon world... which is all-around irrelivant to the cause.
Yeah, his moves just feel so awkward even compared to his unique movements.
You need to see some pro G&W. They play him so smooth, it's almost like the lag doesn't exist. If you're talking about aireal's though, all you're missing is the L-cancle. You really have to be able to L-cancel G&W.
Ah...his wonkiness just felt a little to exteme last time I tried playing him against someone.
If you tkae out the tip than you lose the entire point of playing Marth. Playing Marth is all about your spacing... and very few characters people are concerned with spacing. Most of the time people are thinking, "Okay either I'm in range or out of range..." but no inbetween. With marth you have to actually think about that... and it plays a huge role in setting up combos. More knockback with the tip on almost every move, not only f-smash. Which will determine the placement of your opponent.
As Marth is, he's rather unique... even to Roy. There's no reason to change him really.
I just think the tip is too extreme for the range it's made for and compared to Roy's base.
As a matter of fact, Roy is pretty much the version of Marth that you wanted. The way you'd want Marth, you'd need to deal with that lag, otherwise he'd be a horribly unbalanced character (with all the fire like Roy has and whatnot). And why replace him with another FE character when Nintendo could just add one more. It's not like they wont have room.
Well, the character cuts are probably to lessen the balancing time or something like that. They could be trying to invoke a sense of freshness with all the characters (which could account for the apparent "significant recreations" that Mr. Sakurai mentioned) while still keeping them "feeling" the same. I definately wouldn't mind all the characters returning but they're probably constantly worrying about all the inevidible lack of creativity accusations they'll get from critics and nay-sayers. I guarantee that this game will be popular enough for it to be "cool" to not like it. Though they shouldn't and probably wouldn't worry about that, they have the nigh impossible task of trying to please everyone.
LOL, well I took out a few things ;p
Ya but you addressed almost everything. I hate when people respond to one point from a large post like we're making but quote the whole thing (and sometimes even don't say what they're responding to).
edit:

Yes.
Concur'd.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
but seriously stop cutting up them long posts and comenting on evry part. those posts are too long. and most people get sick of reading them at half way mark.(but for sum reaosn i red the whole things :s)

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
We could address individual issues in separate posts... but than we'd be charged with several counts of double posting.

As it is I'm too lazy to quote Devastlian's reply... so I'll just hit what I wanted to reply to:

I'm not totally against changing some things about characters, but when someone starts changing one thing they get bent on the idea and go about changing everything else until it's all completely different. I don't see why Nintendo would have to change anything when they've got plenty of room to just add more. Minor changes, sure... but look at the success of Melee. Changing it has the distinct possibilty of making the game worse. Why would they risk that?

And after re-reading what I typed I realize I still sound like an ***. For the second time I'd like to point out I reply all in good humour ^_^

jankons

Smash Rookie
u no i just wana clear this up. ok dragon ball z characters would not fit in ssb that would be so useless first of all they have theyre own fighting games and they kik everybody elses a** ok. Sonic and tails do not fit in games like this his homign attack might be good -2 good it would be cheap for all the other characters second of all his speed would throw him off if he doesnt run he just looks stupid. bango kaazie was a good game but comon that would just kill the game completly. Dont even ask for ASH KETCHUP to be in the game ok hed get ripped into bitesize peices. K rool would not fit unless the only person hes facing is giga bowser cuz hes 2 power full. Nobody would lik diddy kong or dixie kong if they do theyre probobly some helpless newb.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
u no i just wana clear this up. ok dragon ball z characters would not fit in ssb that would be so useless first of all they have theyre own fighting games and they kik everybody elses a** ok. Sonic and tails do not fit in games like this his homign attack might be good -2 good it would be cheap for all the other characters second of all his speed would throw him off if he doesnt run he just looks stupid. bango kaazie was a good game but comon that would just kill the game completly. Dont even ask for ASH KETCHUP to be in the game ok hed get ripped into bitesize peices. K rool would not fit unless the only person hes facing is giga bowser cuz hes 2 power full. Nobody would lik diddy kong or dixie kong if they do theyre probobly some helpless newb.
IMO...

Dragonball, no.
Sonic, what were you thinking saying no?!?
Tails, questionable.
Ash, why did you need to state that trainers wouldn't fit?
King K Rool, yes, practically needs to be in.
Diddy/Dixie, yes.

EDIT: MiraiGen, when you said "...she generated her own field of gravity...", you meant how players are illogically pulled into her and forced to get hit 3-4 times, right? I agree with you, never understood how that one worked.

Best of times with that move in a tourny, though. Peach was on the right side of Pokemon edgeguarding a Falcon who was at 190%. The Falcon came from underneath almost touching the wall. Peach half-charged the Dsmash and hit Falcon. The Falcon proceded to wall-jump-tech, then get hit by a different hitbox of the same attack. Now over 210%, he flew over the whole stage and exploded off the right side of the screen. Last stock by the way, ahh good times.
:laugh:

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Sorry to double post... but seirously how much of that page did you want me to take up?!

What do you mean by "generates her own center of gravity?" Everything has a center of gravity, and it's not generated. It's all a matter of where the pull is coming from and how the mass in the object is distributed.

If what you're going for is the pull on you when you get caught up in her spinning, that'd be due to centriptial force (or was it centrifugal? I always get them mixed up ;p)

but I think you get the point. And there are plenty of characters with plenty of moves that were never in their respective games. You find out where Fox, Capt. Falcon, Game&Watch, Shiek, etc... get most of their moves from and get back to me.
That's not what I mean. It's not the whole thing that Yellow Mage had running for a while, where characters had moves that came out of nowhere - I just don't like the fact that Peach has so much spotlight in all of her games, and she gets this horrendously irritating attack of a Dsmash which doesn't even make sense.

It wasn't the fact that she generated gravity when she spins, it was the fact that she did that attack when she has so much other stuff to go on frustrates me.

That and it's a broken-*** attack. But that's totally different.

MasterGary

Smash Ace
oh well in that case i totally agree. It is a broken-*** attack by all means. but she's just so **** fun to play :D
peach is fun to play. but she's cheap. and her dsmash is the cheatiest moves in the game. test this by having a falco/fox/c.falcon crouch charge it all the way and let the % rack up. corect me if im rong but will it not reach atleats 60% with 1 hit?

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
crouch charge? erm... crouch cancel? same thing? I'm unfamilliar with your terms. But I think I get what you're saying. Yeah, I've seen it instakill fox that got caught up in it and DI'd down. All he had to start was 20%... and it knocked him to 100 for the kill.

Top Bottom