• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
About Marth and Roy...Ike is in to replace them, I think Sakuria hinted something about that in the Ike Update...
If you don't know nothing of Fire Emblem... don't bother to comment please.

It's impossible that Ike could replace both Marth and Roy, maybe Roy but Marth? Impossible.

And... Dr. Mario was an unlogical character, must be taken out.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
If you don't know nothing of Fire Emblem... don't bother to comment please.

It's impossible that Ike could replace both Marth and Roy, maybe Roy but Marth? Impossible.

And... Dr. Mario was an unlogical character, must be taken out.
i actualy disagree with doc part although i dont like doc i still believe he should at least be a costume for mario its just so easy add a mario with a diferent costume and marth WILL return its as simple as that its like removing mario from his game lol

Talking Curtain

Smash Cadet
It is true; adult link is confirmed. This is not a tragedy though- it only becomes a malision should true link not appear beside him. This is my contention.
what are you talking about? You keep going on about the "true link" as if he is some god figure or something. Young link, Old link are misnomers. THEY ARE ALL LINK. and furthermore, "young link" in melee is the link from ocarina of time and majora's mask, and nothing else. Most zelda games feature different links at different point in their lives, not the same link the entire way through.

The link in Twilight Princess is not Old link, he is Link from Twilight Princess. Just as the Link in the original game is not the "young Link" of Majora's mask. You need to stop acting as if they are different people with radically different move sets and personalities. THEY ARE THE SAME PEOPLE.
you really should get over your messianic obsession with an incorrect concept...
sorry to be harsh but its getting annoying...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I don't care how good, how bad, how cool, or how lame the character was, I want all to return because I just love variety.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
you referenced: something

I WANT MY COOKIE!
Failure :p

You referenced Futurama... Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles. At least I think that's what it is.
Good call.

what are you talking about? You keep going on about the "true link" as if he is some god figure or something. Young link, Old link are misnomers. THEY ARE ALL LINK. and furthermore, "young link" in melee is the link from ocarina of time and majora's mask, and nothing else. Most zelda games feature different links at different point in their lives, not the same link the entire way through.

The link in Twilight Princess is not Old link, he is Link from Twilight Princess. Just as the Link in the original game is not the "young Link" of Majora's mask. You need to stop acting as if they are different people with radically different move sets and personalities. THEY ARE THE SAME PEOPLE.
you really should get over your messianic obsession with an incorrect concept...
Quoted for shear beauty. I find it hilarious how certain fans label 'Young Link' the 'real' Link, when most of the Links are between the ages of OoT's 'Young' and 'Adult' Links.

Luigi: as a clone, never (we're seeing evidence of the removal of the clones)

Jigglypuff: with another power-up, maybe, but it's been expendable from the start, he/she means nothing as a rep of the series

Captain Falcon: he's still the only one with his style of attack (quick, all melee, tall (following that Ganon isn't officially back)) so we'd all like to hope he comes back

Ness: no clones, the likelihood of him being a costume is better, and i'm sure we've all seen the boards 'proving' that wario is the only one with an alt. costume

Mewtwo: as nice as that would be, i'm doubting it, incidental character, poor fighter overall, i liiked him, but i only ever competed against friends.

Mr. Game and Watch: again, so unique it'd be a shame to see him go, i sincirely wish he'd return, but from a business standpoint, lot of 'new gamers' would never guess who he is.

Marth: unlikely, Ike has almost officially replaced our knife-y friends.

Doc Mario: unlikely, this time because he's a mimic, he plays different to mario, but he's still mario, it doesn't make much sense in a rostering perspective (plus he sucked)

Ganondorf: oh god please yes, but realistically, he was a heavy cap.fal. and he's expendable.

Falco: *whispers* just privately, i've heard enough praise for both him and Fox that i wouldn't have batted an eyelid at both of them going. But it's still possible

Y. Link: not much hope, he was a shrunken clone, also it doesn't mesh considering they're using the new Zelda series' as a base-point

Pichu: hmm, suicidal pikachu clone, i'll pass, and so will they, no thankyou

Roy: like i said for marth, byee

any of the returners may still return as unlocks, the SE format has changed the rules and they may be encuontered during the stories, you try scripting all the melee characters a full story mode.

P.S.(thankyou to Rakath for posting this format, made my job easier.
What is this supposed evidence of no clones? Pretty sure clones suchas G.dorf and Falco are still in the running, if not as altered clones, then as characters with new movesets. Also, I've seen nothing to suggest that Marth has been replaced, and since the characters have to be rebuilt/altered anyhow, Mewtwo's lackluster performance in Melee shouldn't affect his chances.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
i actualy disagree with doc part although i dont like doc i still believe he should at least be a costume for mario its just so easy add a mario with a diferent costume and marth WILL return its as simple as that its like removing mario from his game lol
So, just being added because of its theme song is the best reason ever?

No, it's not. But why should Dr. Mario return as alt. costume, if Wario is the only special case, as commented by Sakurai?

Ginger9001

Smash Ace

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Or a Doctor! Dr. Mario for Brawl!
whoa! hold it there sally, you really think I will take your advice? the only possible way I would take someone else advice is, if they are in fact, making someone else suffer

JD: hey doctor co...

Not know betty I'm busy. (scrubs)

does that means That I'm right?

Quoted for shear beauty. I find it hilarious how certain fans label 'Young Link' the 'real' Link, when most of the Links are between the ages of OoT's 'Young' and 'Adult' Links.

there's not a real link.

"I'll take the case!" - Harvey Birdman
yay! (I'm doomed)

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Not to mention the fact that Ness doesn't have 6/7 of the A attacks Lucas' been shown using so far. But Ness could be out anyway so...oh well.

And stuff.
Lucas is a new character. I'm glad they didn't just convert his entire MS over. I think of it as Luigi from 64 to melee. It's a similar transition but they just changed the name to give Lucas a new beginning. It Ness were to return, he could still have his MS without the specials, but I think Lucas is what Ness would've been had Ness been confirmed in Brawl first.
I hope I'm wrong and Ness is back, with Claus as a third rep too :)

Luigi: He's returning, due to Mario getting the Floody thing, Luigi gets a Vacuum (the polar opposite of a water cannon) further deviding them and strengthening his unique standing.
It seems as though the Poltergust 3000 is a given, but his other specials are what I'm really exited for. THUNDERHAND!!!! (I hope)
Ness: Blame Lucas and his Stick (which is obviously to replace Ness's Bat Smash), good bye my psychic friend, my master of Baseball, Yo-Yo spinner, and all around okay kid.
I don't know how they simply get rid of something as classic as the Yo-Yo!? That's the only thing keeping my hopes alive!
Falco: Flip a Coin, Heads he gets a new Moveset, Tails he's gone. We can't tell from here. However his return and Krystal's additon wouldn't shock me.
Heads, he gets a complete MS of his own, Tails, he becomes Foxs Luigi :)
Y. Link: Give him a Cel Shaded Look, he keeps the Zelda Cast par, he further adds to List credibility, and makes everyone happy.
:chuckle:
Luigi: as a clone, never (we're seeing evidence of the removal of the clones)
Yeah, what? He wasn't a clone...
Jigglypuff: with another power-up, maybe, but it's been expendable from the start, he/she means nothing as a rep of the series
Um...Jiggs will always be a good stable FTW!
Mewtwo: as nice as that would be, i'm doubting it, incidental character, poor fighter overall, i liiked him, but i only ever competed against friends.
You just don't like uniqueness do you haha
Mr. Game and Watch: again, so unique it'd be a shame to see him go, i sincirely wish he'd return, but from a business standpoint, lot of 'new gamers' would never guess who he is.
pfffft. G&WFTW!
Marth: unlikely, Ike has almost officially replaced our knife-y friends.
HAHAHA WHAT!? Watch a vid of Ike, they are completely different. Might as well say Olimar replaced Sheik!
Ganondorf: oh god please yes, but realistically, he was a heavy cap.fal. and he's expendable.
not at all
Falco: *whispers* just privately, i've heard enough praise for both him and Fox that i wouldn't have batted an eyelid at both of them going. But it's still possible

Dynamism

Smash Lord
sorry I had to double post because I wanted to add something but my comp wont edit at this very moment :confused:

You kind of proved your point and his.
They are not all the same Link but are all the same person. So we can have 2 different Links if one traveled through time, there would be 2 of the same person. The whole Link thing is just a really complicated situation but that is no reason for CSLink (or Young Ling, who actually appears more often than the modern form of TP/older Link) to not join the rest of the Zelda characters and the elite cast in Brawl. He is just as important as the Link that has been confirmed from Brawl and the BIGGEST asset Link has...is that he has "existed" (for the lack of a better word) so many times.
You could really make a Link from every game in Brawl and none would be closer than Luigi is to Mario in the current smash bros series.

I find it hilarious how certain fans label 'Young Link' the 'real' Link, when most of the Links are between the ages of OoT's 'Young' and 'Adult' Links.

I don't know what all of the Links being between the OoT ages has to do with some people saying YLink is the "Real" one but either way, I don't understand that "Real" Link thing either.

Mewtwo's lackluster performance in Melee shouldn't affect his chances.
Agreed (by almost everyone but the few that bring up the fact that Mewtwo underachieved in his smash debut)

Edit: after posting this I could edit...oh well, too late now haha

The rAt

Smash Ace
whoa! hold it there sally, you really think I will take your advice? the only possible way I would take someone else advice is, if they are in fact, making someone else suffer

Not know betty I'm busy. (scrubs) [\QUOTE]

+ 5 points for referencing Scrubs. - 5 points for referencing a quote I'm not familiar with. :cool:

does that means That I'm right?
Yes. Yes it does.

there's not a real link.
Or more accurately, there isn't a FAKE Link.

sorry I had to double post because I wanted to add something but my comp wont edit at this very moment :confused:

You kind of proved your point and his.
They are not all the same Link but are all the same person. So we can have 2 different Links if one traveled through time, there would be 2 of the same person. The whole Link thing is just a really complicated situation but that is no reason for CSLink (or Young Ling, who actually appears more often than the modern form of TP/older Link) to not join the rest of the Zelda characters and the elite cast in Brawl. He is just as important as the Link that has been confirmed from Brawl and the BIGGEST asset Link has...is that he has "existed" (for the lack of a better word) so many times.
You could really make a Link from every game in Brawl and none would be closer than Luigi is to Mario in the current smash bros series.
The way I see it, based on continuity, each Link is different. But based on concept they are the same. That is, each Link is a kid (yes, even "Adult" Link is a kid) who saves Hyrule from Gannon/dorf, using the Master Sword, a Shield, the Triforce of Courage, and many of the same devices, while looking studly in a green tunic and stocking-cap. Yes, there are differences, and those make each Link unique when compared to other Links. However, when compared to any other character in or out of the Zelda universe, the differences between the various Links are, by far, outshined by their similarities.

What I meant about Link's age is that "Young" Link is effectively synonymous with 10-year-old Link and "Adult" Link effectively synonymous with 17-year-old Link, because those terms were created for the purpose of referencing that specific Link at two different stages in his life. Both appear only in OoT. The only other Zelda game that I am aware of which specifically ties Link to the same age as "Young" Link in OoT is Wind Waker. However, that would put him tied with 16-year-old Link (AoL and TP) and 14-year old Link (OA and OS). Since LA and LttP clearly depict an "older" Link (at least 16ish), I would say that the 'older' Links are at least as prominant as the younger ones, and therefore no one depiction of Link is any more or less accurate than the others.

Which is why you are right that we could have a sepparate character for each Link. The question I've never been able to find a satisfying answer to is, given that we already have ONE Link, and there are so many different depictions of Link to choose from, why Wind Waker Link? Or Young Link? Or any other Link (given the fact that whichever Link you insert here, he's going to effectively represent himself and only himself)?

Agreed (by almost everyone but the few that bring up the fact that Mewtwo underachieved in his smash debut)

Edit: after posting this I could edit...oh well, too late now haha
I like to call those people "wrong." Also, I've come to realize that the edit button apparently hates me with the passion of a thousand exploding suns. Give or take. Good luck taming the beast.

Anyhow, you commnented awhile back about how crazy long my posts can be, and I hadn't writen one like that in awhile, so I thought I'd oblige you. Plus I had plenty to say. :cool:

KingGeorge

Smash Cadet
the whole Link problem is an opinion thing, either we have one link and create continuity, or we have more than one and abuse the format of SSB (anything goes). I think the lack of official release for Y.Link, Doc Mario and Pichu shows that the doubling concept is not favoured this time around, but i am prone to be wrong and nobody knows who the secrets are yet, so they may make a showing, fans, ga'head and cross your fingers, 'cos it's 50/50.

The rAt

Smash Ace
the whole Link problem is an opinion thing, either we have one link and create continuity, or we have more than one and abuse the format of SSB (anything goes). I think the lack of official release for Y.Link, Doc Mario and Pichu shows that the doubling concept is not favoured this time around, but i am prone to be wrong and nobody knows who the secrets are yet, so they may make a showing, fans, ga'head and cross your fingers, 'cos it's 50/50.
Not to cut down your opinion about Y. Link, Doc and Pichu, because I don't think they'll be back either, but we haven't had any official release on Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, G&W, or Gannondorf, but they are all heavily favored to return. I think it has more to do with the former characters being redundant, and the latter characters being more original.
While I agree about the Link contiuity issue, that isn't why I don't want another Link; variety is what is most important to me in a game like this, and there are just too many characters who deserve to be in before another green-clad Hylian hero. It's like including Robin (**** Grayson) and Robin (Tim Drake) in the same comic; sure they're different people, but they're both there to fullfill essentially the same role.
Also, yes, I'm a geek for using that example. :p

EDIT: legendofme, it's been circulating around the forums, but I don't think it's been posted here. However, this is going to bring back the inevitable potato flame wars.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Yes, there are differences, and those make each Link unique when compared to other Links. However, when compared to any other character in or out of the Zelda universe, the differences between the various Links are, by far, outshined by their similarities.

What I meant about Link's age is that "Young" Link is effectively synonymous with 10-year-old Link and "Adult" Link effectively synonymous with 17-year-old Link, because those terms were created for the purpose of referencing that specific Link at two different stages in his life. Both appear only in OoT. The only other Zelda game that I am aware of which specifically ties Link to the same age as "Young" Link in OoT is Wind Waker. However, that would put him tied with 16-year-old Link (AoL and TP) and 14-year old Link (OA and OS). Since LA and LttP clearly depict an "older" Link (at least 16ish), I would say that the 'older' Links are at least as prominant as the younger ones, and therefore no one depiction of Link is any more or less accurate than the others.

Which is why you are right that we could have a sepparate character for each Link. The question I've never been able to find a satisfying answer to is, given that we already have ONE Link, and there are so many different depictions of Link to choose from, why Wind Waker Link? Or Young Link? Or any other Link (given the fact that whichever Link you insert here, he's going to effectively represent himself and only himself)?
[/COLOR][/FONT]

I like to call those people "wrong." Also, I've come to realize that the edit button apparently hates me with the passion of a thousand exploding suns. Give or take. Good luck taming the beast.

Anyhow, you commnented awhile back about how crazy long my posts can be, and I hadn't writen one like that in awhile, so I thought I'd oblige you. Plus I had plenty to say. :cool:
Edit: Thank you for recognizing your supporters. It wasn't just me who pointed that out though. Glad you're back on track again ;)
And the edit button worked, as I have just edited my post. I beleive it fears me after I ignored it to simply double post since recent encounters with problems. It wants attention, don't give it any? Maybe it works!

The way that their similarities out-match their differences among the many of them, there is nothing holding them back but that. I would like Midna, Ganon and maybe another Zelda character in Brawl before another Link but I would also feel like we would be getting "ripped-off" in a way. There are two Samus, they may be one character and are interchangable but none the less, two of the same character have been put in this elite cast. Two Links would be as diverse and visually unique just as well.

Thanks for listing the ages etc of the past Links, that actually clears some foggy corners up. I guess they should have a third Link because "the 14 year old Link is effectively synonymous with Teen Link." That could eliminate the argument on which Link was most often represented. Adult or Young has a thin line. I'm glad you brought up that the two terms (Young and Old) for the same character were made to sepperate the same Link and not just the characters various ages in general to the series. This is where the trouble arises. And I don't think there is an actual answer. :p

That and age differences aside, the fact that OoT Link is indeed tied to WW Link but is at the same time, ENTIRELY different in appearance and abilities, both in movement and equipment, that a CS version of a Link is required. Whether it be WW or HG, it would only be proper to have one more Link representing that side of the series while still, in a way, being connected to his counterpart. "Adult" TP Link is still a Link but again, other than him being the most recent version of Link,
rAt - "given the fact that whichever Link you insert here *inserting* (TP Link), he's going to effectively represent himself and only himself?"

But no, I don't know the answer either.

For Pichu, Doc and Roy, the coin is lose on both sides. But YLink/CS or whatever, is 50/50. I thought he was 90% confirmed until the E4A gameplay demos had Link the size of YLink, but I'm still positive that he'll be back. Positive as in hopeful and certain.

Not to cut down your opinion about Y. Link, Doc and Pichu, because I don't think they'll be back either, but we haven't had any official release on Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, G&W, or Gannondorf, but they are all heavily favored to return. I think it has more to do with the former characters being redundant, and the latter characters being more original.
While I agree about the Link contiuity issue, that isn't why I don't want another Link; variety is what is most important to me in a game like this, and there are just too many characters who deserve to be in before another green-clad Hylian hero. It's like including Robin (**** Grayson) and Robin (Tim Drake) in the same comic; sure they're different people, but they're both there to fullfill essentially the same role.
Also, yes, I'm a geek for using that example. :p

EDIT: legendofme, it's been circulating around the forums, but I don't think it's been posted here. However, this is going to bring back the inevitable potato flame wars.
Redundant is the key word in that quote. Having the various Links wouldn't taint the roster with clones or anything similar. But I see what you mean by having other characters first. As would almost anyone, but when the other characters are in, then the other Link would be the next character in line. And he would be just as unique as the last Challenger Approaching.
When it really comes down to it, having the two Links would either fit ingeniously into the Subspace Emissary or ruin it completely. I hope it all works out for the better. That means CSLinks in Brawl, and everyone is happy because no harm was done.
Bad reference. Robin? Oh my... ;)
By the way, I sigged one of your quotes. It was in a Zelda thread too.

Fandangox

Smash Lord

Not know betty I'm busy. (scrubs)
+ 5 points for referencing Scrubs. - 5 points for referencing a quote I'm not familiar with. :cool:

Thw whole series in general

Yes. Yes it does.

WHOHO!

Or more accurately, there isn't a FAKE Link.
here you have a fake Link

In other topic, I think that Master hand and Crazy hand may be The Ancient Minister hands, if you realize that he is missings his hands (and there are two holes that can be the place for his hands, similar to rayman) and that the atmosphere in wich the halberd appear is similar to one of the backgrounds in the final destination stage

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
For Pichu, Doc and Roy, the coin is lose on both sides. But YLink/CS or whatever, is 50/50. I thought he was 90% confirmed until the E4A gameplay demos had Link the size of YLink, but I'm still positive that he'll be back. Positive as in hopeful and certain.
I don't know about your lose/lose comment. Not that I don't think that Pichu and Doc are coming back, for I'm sure they're pretty much not, but I actually think that Roy has a chance.

Sure, Roy was an advertisement in Melee and an unpopular clone of Marth, but he's still an original character, and the only one of three FE lords to be in more than one game.

Personally, I don't really want Roy back. I think that a lord with a different weapon (such as Ephraim with his lance and/or Hector with his axe) would be a better choice to take up a spot in the roster, and I feel that Ike is taking Roy's position as the slower, stronger, ph1r3y sworded FE lord to a whole new level, but that doesn't really mean that Roy has no chance. He IS popular as a FE character, was already in a Smash game, and shares some similar credentials to Marth and Ike who will be in Brawl.

(Same goes for Young Link, though I'd rather see CSLink. I just feel that would be more fun.)

Also, I guess that no character from Melee doesn't have a chance... but c'mon. Doc? Who is Mario EXACTLY with a stethescope; and Pichu? Who is just a self-destructive, unleveled Pikachu. Those are two very unpopular hurdles that Sakurai will not be able to overcome when making those characters. Hopefully, they didn't bother wasting their time with either of them and used that time to develop someone else... maybe a 3rd Party guest?... maybe Megaman? :)?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
How about:

Ganondorf (New moveset/look)
Falco (Most moves changed except the ones he SHOULD share with Fox)
Luigi (Same moves as in Melee except he gets the Vacuum since Mario got FLUDD)
Jiggly/Marth/Mewtwo/G&W/Falcon/ all have no reason to be left out, people who say Ike replaced Marth make me giggle.

I'm still pulling for Ness, but his chances are slim.

Roy/Pichu/Doc/Young Link should ALL be left out, Doc should be an alternate costume of Marios at the least. If they change around Roy he might get in.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
The only people coming back are the ones that are already confirmed theres no need keeping it a secret and then bringing back veterans. Anybody who is anybody has already been confirmed and is returning in brawl.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
The only people coming back are the ones that are already confirmed theres no need keeping it a secret and then bringing back veterans. Anybody who is anybody has already been confirmed and is returning in brawl.
Ummm...No. Lol. If a veteran hasnt been on the Dojo then he/she is unlockable. Or not in, only a few were cut. Not many.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
Ummm...No. Lol. If a veteran hasnt been on the Dojo then he/she is unlockable. Or not in, only a few were cut. Not many. I hope.

Oh Knows, double Post.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Yes Jiggs is confirmed! I thought she was confirmed when Pokemon were confirmed to be in the fourth smash bros when the third one was coming out ;)

I'd **** myself if Doc were in too, that would just be...weird? um...

Get off of Young Links back already!!! Cell Shaded Link SHOULD be in Brawl ****it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
****IN ****EDY ****!!!!!

KingGeorge

Smash Cadet
Sakurai is /trying/ to keep all the unlockables a secret, maybe it just makes sense from a storyline aspect to have some Vets as unlocks, hmm, thought of that?

and OMG Jigglypuff is confirmed! i have to admit, that'd be one monster mistake to make, he did meet the voice-actors 'hi, which character are you doing? i'm snake' 'i'm jigglypuff, i know, it's embarrasing' 'no, i just wish i could have the voice range like that, all i can do is snake' etc etc.

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
Dont worry, sometime between jan 24th and 26th we will know everything about the game, and these boards will then become even more annoying than they already are, with so many ppl flaming others for thinking one would get in, or pissed off that another didnt and of course others who will not shut up about how this one really did get in. Pretty much what almost everyone does now, only they will have proof behind their claims.

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
Here's who I would like to see return:

Captain Falcon
Luigi
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf (Semi confirmed)
Shiek (Semi confirmed)
Mewtwo
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco (new moves)