• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official trash talk at pound2 thread.

vericz

Smash Champion
Trash talk all you want but honestly if it is affecting someones gameplay and determining a match, Don't do it. You are affecting the game by putting someone down.. For friendlies it's perfectly fine, there isn't a big pot involved like in a tournament.

Cheer for the other player instead of trash talking another.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
But isn't that reasoning flawed?

You don't want to have trash talking because it might affect the outcome of a game by hurting one player. But it's okay to cheer for someone? That is also affecting the match by helping the person you're cheering for. (Unless they just plain crack under pressure, in which case they're not likely to be in the finals of a major tourney)

If you want to say "Don't trash talk because it's mean, and I don't want to see someone's feelings get hurt" then okay. But that's a different argument.

Home field advantage and crowd noise are a part of the game.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, okay then. You can make the argument (not saying I'm agreeing with it, just saying that it's at least valid) that trash talking is mean and we should just be nice. But you can't make the argument that "you shouldn't be allowed to boo someone because it will throw them off their game" for the above reason. Unless you also stipulate that no crowd reactions are allowed at all.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
AltF4 makes a good argument. Putting someone down and hurting their feelings is a good point, but on that same point, whats the difference between putting one person down, and putting on person UP more than the other? It would make cheering unfair too.

Nite

Smash Champion
I think the difference between that is that one is positive and the other is negative. I'm all for cheering for whoever you want to win. Booing and putting the other person down is a different story though. It's not the same because that person could easily take that personal and get discouraged.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
But couldn't someone get discouraged because less people are cheering for them? Or people are only cheering for their opponent? Trash talking exists, home field advantage exists, and crowd noise exists, and unless any of them become excessively belligerent, need to be accepted.

Nite

Smash Champion
That's true. Though I could get discouraged much easier if people were actually against me instead of just cheering for the other person. It's one thing to cheer for someone because you like that person or you just want them to win (whatever the reason may be). It's another thing to intentionally make insults and personal stabs towards someone. I do see what you are saying though.

Sliq

Smash Master
Getting personal is extremely petty and tactless. This is for fun people.

I'm referring to what Forward said to Mikey Lenetia and Cunning Kitsune mostly, considering I know both of these smashers, but it still applies.

People can do and say whatever they want, but can't get mad when other people look down on him for doing it. How is Forward going to get mad at me for thinking he is kind of a douchebag when he pulls shenanigans like this? I've met him before, and he can be cool, when he's not assaulting someone verbally. I wasn't there when it happened (gas station hot dogs), but Mikey told me what happened when I got back.

About the finals:

The "frames" smack talk, as well as the "l-canceling yeahyuzzz" smack talk was funny. I was so embarrassed for Forward when he started getting personally that it was painfully awkward. I couldn't enjoy the finals. Smash is about smash, and personal **** shouldn't be brought into it. If we wanted this **** to be personal, we wouldn't be calling each other by made up names on a ****ing forum.

You do have a point, and I regret not saying anything back to you. I admit that I am just as wrong as you for not telling you to shut the **** up. Now you have to admit that you are just as wrong as you for being a tremendous jerk.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
If you can't handle trash talking, go cry to your mom.

These kids won't last a day in the 2D fighting community.

Nuff Said. No johns. MM?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
they wouldn't which is why we all playin' smash right now.

this game is kiddie so lets all be nice to each other =)

chillindude829

Smash Master
I personally think that chillindude829 is the perfect balance, combining all the good aspects of humor and pride and creating the ultimate trashtalker. He's hilarious.

xHayatox

Smash Lord
not have as gooot as me :D im too gooot at trash talking !! :D but my post sux i been around for lonk time but only have less than 1000 post :o

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
like i said before trashtalking makes it exciting and cheering is all good too just try to leave personal insults out of it and theres nothing wrong with it

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
COUNT YO FRAMES SON!!!!! was the funniest **** i heard that day, but it did get awkward after like 15 minutes of non-stop babble. Forward is mad funny, and we need people like him to make these events more exciting, but he should have spaced it out more, the personal jabs were probably a result of Forward running out of **** to say, I mean when you go on for that long you end up saying some ******** stuff. Next time just keep it funny and to a minimum.

DON'T GET GRABBED!!! OMMMGGGG HE GOT GRABBED!!! HE'S DONE!!!! LOLOLOLZZ!! -Taj ****** Reik with Mewtwo...soooo funny.

Edit. lol @the idea of spacing trash talk... Forward, work on your spacing son.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
personal insults are a ***** move.
trash talk is cool.

to what was said ealier: if one person is getting cheered for less, it'll throw is game off because he feels like the underdog and stuff. no ones on his side :(
it also gives the other person momentum.

but w/e that stuff happens, so deal with it. theyres too many angles to look at it from and we cant control every element in a match.
blaming performance on crowd noise/cheering n booing = JOHNS
trashtalking = mindgamez
just dont get too personal.

also, trash talking can get worse in video games. trust me
<----- *ex Halo 2 player/Madden player*

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
everything is fair game verbally, as long as there are no physical aspects to it. yelling in someone's ear, i would say is physically distracting. yelling whilst being in their peripheral vision, thats physically distracting. yelling from 10-15 feet back whatever the hell you want, thats only mentally distracting, and should be fair game.

its impossible to decide whats "a personal jab" or not, and if that person does it a lot and no one thinks really right, then its up to the crowd to decide if he's a tool or not. forwards right that no one should be yelling at him now, considering that no one said anything then.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I think its a personal insult at your own risk thing. Sure you can say whatever but if you start pissing people off you need to do so knowing there are likely a few people who will turn around and do it to you.

pockyD

Smash Legend
most people didn't care enough to tell forward to shut up

in my opinion it was up to m2k's better friends to step up and tell forward off, especially since they would KNOW how much that stuff affects him (of course there is the argument that m2k originally saw forward as one of those friends, but anyone could see forward was brazenly against him)

i personally was not invested enough in whether m2k won or lost (even though i was cheering for him, at the end of the day i don't care and it doesn't affect me) and i assume that most everyone else was the same way, but if it had been a crewmate or friend of mine that i knew was affected by it, i would have stepped up and said something

Sliq

Smash Master
my real name is watty.....
This is obviously hacks of the darkest kind.

And there is a pretty concrete line between "Count your frames, son!" and "Get out of the basement pale boy!"

To reiterate, people can say whatever they want, but they can't be surprised when they act like a jerk and thusly get treated like one.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
does anybody have video/a full transcript of what exactly forward yelled at M2K?
"get out of the basement, pale boy!"? Okay. Freedom of speech and all, but is forward 12 years old? If so, okay.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
chillin's **** talk is funny as hell, as obnoxious as it is, he never crossed the line.
wtf
why is there even controversy over what forward said
he made himself look like a huge ****

i don't care if he did that kind of **** in arizona. even if he did, i doubt he took it this far before. it's one thing to laugh at a mistake on the screen, quite another to attack the way a player looks

"But couldn't someone get discouraged because less people are cheering for them? Or people are only cheering for their opponent? Trash talking exists, home field advantage exists, and crowd noise exists, and unless any of them become excessively belligerent, need to be accepted."

not even a valid argument
one is positive, other is negative
leave personal **** out of trash talk and it's cool. trash talking is fun as hell, don't spoil it for everyone by being an *******

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
I dont mind forward to tell you the truth. He seems pretty nice when he is yelling or being obnoxious.

How awesome was it when forward made fun of PC for killing m2k (or vice versa I forget which) and then Taj killed him right after to lose the game haha.

I think that this should turn into a thread of actual trash talking because this whole thing is pretty much old and over.

The Newb

Smash Ace
I fully agree with omegablackmage. If forward actually said "get out of the basement, pale boy!", then that's 100% over the line. Game related trash talk is fine but when you take personal jabs at a person over a VIDEO GAME, it just displays the kind of person you really are.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
chillin's **** talk is funny as hell, as obnoxious as it is, he never crossed the line.
wtf
why is there even controversy over what forward said
he made himself look like a huge ****

i don't care if he did that kind of **** in arizona. even if he did, i doubt he took it this far before. it's one thing to laugh at a mistake on the screen, quite another to attack the way a player looks

"But couldn't someone get discouraged because less people are cheering for them? Or people are only cheering for their opponent? Trash talking exists, home field advantage exists, and crowd noise exists, and unless any of them become excessively belligerent, need to be accepted."

not even a valid argument
one is positive, other is negative
leave personal **** out of trash talk and it's cool. trash talking is fun as hell, don't spoil it for everyone by being an *******

we should all listen to kiwii cause she's like an anime character when she plays, always going "WAAAAGHHH! Whhaaaaaaaaatt??!!" with a giant sweat-drop on her head. I mean, that's too good.

Banks

Smash Hero
If you can't handle trash talking, go cry to your mom.

These kids won't last a day in the 2D fighting community.

Nuff Said. No johns. MM?

LMFAO

really, who gives a ****. I saw forward and pc walking together after the tournament. I must have missed the FISTICUFFS AHRGHGGHR

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
trash talking is cool. personal insults is bad.
if people are going to cheer/boo, give them some breathing room.
and it's easy to tell when someone's being excessive aka forward at pound. most of it was funny, but some of the comments were real low and unnecessary.

Top Bottom