• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Melee PR would be great. I think it could happen again before too long. Sethlon, you could be good again. You just have to decide to be. I've been sucking at recent tourneys (except in teams) but no more! FS8 will be great :)

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
play austinrc and if that doesn't depress you than yeah, youre probably good for melee.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I have an idea. Its not about me being on the panel or PR or royr being on the list or trela going higher....ect. What i am about to offer you is a chance for every player(decent player) to be on the PR and promote higher level of competition(like hylian wants). PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS before you jump my ****, ok?

Hobo/Phase/Final Smash, the 3 important series in tx, have seen a steady decline in attendance. You can speculate all you want on why its happening but the FACT is: the mass amount of noobs dont show up anymore and the over all competition in this state is down. As the main TO of tx, this is kinda scary.

A. Phase 2 maxed out at 66/Phase 3 dropped to the 30s/Phase 4 droped to 25.

B. Final smash 5 had 97 /Final smash 6 had 64/ Final smash 8(fs7 was melee) had 45

C. Hobo 18 had 80/Hobo 19 had 71/Hobo 20 had 40/Hobo 21 had 50

Well, as mentioned at the top, i have an idea that will help everybody be "noticed" while at the same time it will help promote competition. If the PR panel accepts this idea i truly think it will help tx pull itself out of a hole that we are currently in. I think we should change the PR system to a POINT based system. I also think we should have 2 PR lists.....TRUST me and read below.

POINT BASED PR

Each tournament, depending on its size, will give out points for top 7(small events) or top 13(medium events) or top 25(large events). The points that each player recieves will be added up after the 9 or 10 events the PR panel uses to determine the next PR. Highest points is first, 2nd highest is 2nd, 3rd is 3rd and so on. It stops at 15(though i recommend 10) because thats how big our PR is.

Things we must figure out:

1. How much does 123 get for placing ABC at an event with XYZ players attending?

2. What do you consider a small(top 7 get points), Medium(top 13 get points), Large(top 25 get points) event?

3. How many points does each player START off with?

4. Should MMs give points?

5. If Ranked player 7 beats ranked player 3, should he get points? if so, how much?

6. Should beating an OOS player give you more points than if you were to beat a ranked/unranked player?

Two PRs

I know right off the bat you are incline to say NO but hear me out. This idea can really solve alot of our problems, arguing, inactive players, upcoming players.

MAIN PR: Obviously the top 15 like normal(i recommend it be dropped to top 10). These guys are clearly our most active/more impressive results/Higher point players. They CONSISTANTLY prove over an over again they mean business. Example: THE LEGENDARY UTD ZAC/ Razer/ Gnes/ Dojo/ Px/ Dphat/ Sethlon/ Hylian/ Fogo.....ect

AMETURE PR: These guys didnt make the cut due to thier lower placings/points/activity but STILL need to be recognized because they do show signs of skill(aka zori beating lee and RT beating hylian) and possibly a threat later on but not just yet. This list should be about 15 players long. Example: Broly/Vorgy/Duffman/Ozz/Esca/Zori/Dmg/Jerm/Ice/FlipHop....ect

The reason for this change and how it is better than our current PR.

The reason i came up with this idea is because it can INCLUDE ALOT more people than the current PR does. People who DESERVE a spot(maybe not MAIN pr but AMETURE pr for sure) but dont get one because they dont "attend enough" even though they are CLEARLY great players=dmg/royr/infinity/d4ba.....ect. This new idea also covers people who do good MOST of the time but have a decent amount of "off days" like jerm/ozz/trela. This idea also prevents "one hit wonders" like zori beating lee martin, esca beating kismet, Vorgy winning one event that had NO ONE GOOD attend, from getting on the MAIN pr and steal peoples rightful spots but it still allows them to place high on the AMETURE pr(because what they did was STILL amazing and they should get points for it). This change also allows players like Espy/Bored/Xyro and many other good players who place well considering thier tier to have a shot at being on a PR(obviously it would be the AMETURE PR). The players that do well and get ranked but then do not show up for a LONG time(d4bs/royr/t-rex/3000) they will begin to lose points after there 3rd missed tourney. Its a punishment for being inactive and if it means they get bumped down to the AMETURE pr then so be it.

ABOVE ALL, i think this new idea will improve the accuracy of the PR(calming down arguments and including every DECENT player) while increasing the competition/turnout in tx because all PHASE/FINAL SMASH/HOBOs will dish out points and the more points you get the higher you will be on the list. Now obviously there is more work to be done on this idea but i wanted to throw this out there to see what the current PR panel thinks and how the public liks the idea.

PS: PLEASE GIVE this post a few reads before you shoot my idea down. I SWEAR to you the players that EARN thier points/spots will GET there spots and the lesser players/inactive players will still get a spot to but not as high because they didnt EARN it like the MAIN pr players did.

PS2: ozz came up with the core of this idea. i just expanded in to the state level. if i get any credit, he should too.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I think this idea is something worth looking into. I'm not sure just how much it will help attendance, but it's possible.

I'm in agreement that the current PR be dropped down to Top 10. It's really really hard figuring out placings for 11-15.

Also, I like how I was left off of both your example lists =P

Xyro77

UTD it will increase comp at HOBO/phase/FS which means more people will travel to get points and and MM other cities ranked players. This increases all 3 of our events attendance. And im sorry for leaving you out. Ill add u real quick.

in case no body caught this, I am recommending that Phase/FS/HOBO/RGV event get to gether and be considered a CIRCUIT! What do you guys think of that?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I like the idea of Two PRs, with the Main PR being dropped to 10, while the Amateur PR goes to 15.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I would just like to mention I came up with the idea and only planned it for Houston then I talked to Xyro and he expanded on the idea to it being for the state PR which I think is a lot better. I just think that the amateur PR should be at LEAST 20 people.

This should help not only attendance but competition, and would compliment well with the fact that TX is huge and has so many great playerz. Seeing your name on a list like this will definetly motivate you whether your super high or low. Some people just flatout know they can't make the regular PR so why not give them something to shoot for that lets them gauge their performance.

Xyro77

Remember the AMETURE pr name can be changed.

Also, i ask that the PR panel pick 2-3 reps from EACH Circuit event holding city( so that the LOAD of work/data can be split up.

Example:

Houston=2 reps
Dallas=2 reps
San Antonio=1 rep
RGV= 1 rep
And Hylian/Zac

I would also like if PHASE/FINAL SMASH/HOBO worked together to create this CIRCUIT. This REALLY helps MORE than just tx. The PHASE event in the circuit will attract ok/ks. Hobo will attract La. RGV and FS can attract Nm and el paso. IF PLANNED RIGHT, this will increase OOS and OOC attendance because EVERYBODY on both PR lists will wanna get points to climb or hold ther place. PLEASE consider this idea even though its ALOT fo work i really think it will help EVERBODY.

PS: RGV, if any of you read this. PLEASE start having a event like hobo/phase/fs. Tx needs one more series so that we can have a circuit event in YOUR city so that you guys can gain points without having to travel EVERY **** month. You know?

PS2: if you think there is not enough players for a MAIN pr and a AMETURE pr. Think again.

ozz/flip/royr/jerm/dmg/broly/burrito/d4ba/infinity/espy/bored/melee1/k prime/error/duffman. Those guys can fill the ameture pr while others like samboner/ p4/ krd/ js/ tyson/ cake/ ladybug/ bretster/ slaps/ jumpman/ bored/ xyro/ smoom can strive to make it on the ameture pr as sort of a bench mark. A way of showing the state "hey, im makin my way up in the state"

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
Some people just flatout know they can't make the regular PR so why not give them something to shoot for that lets them gauge their performance.
they shouldnt make a list of people who arent viable to win tournaments

it will become a big facade

the brawl community does 2 things

1: imitate other communities

2: poorly imitate other communities

in brawl there is real pressure compared to most fighters

the word "clutch" does not apply either

i mention this to explain the following

whether or not the game is truly "inconsistent" is undetermined because the same things happen all year long.

we should simply do things by the book,if we seeded tournaments properly it would change the results

we dont so the only thing that could possibly come is inconsistency

because we dont we always have a mess here and always will

the best thing to do is simply keep things by the book

gotta earn it

EDIT: and if we do a circuit lets at least do that properly

Xyro77

Jerm also brought up a good point in an AIM convo. This system will promote MORE rivalry. Houston can trash talk dallas and when dallas shows up to houston we can see which city claims the most points/wins the most MMs(that gives u points). Hell, if DONE right, CREW BATTLES can be worth point.

just ideas

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I agree with this idea.

Im kinda iffy on the second pr thing though. I like having one cut throat PR based on hard facts (points) and maybe a honorable mention list. But I wont complain if there is a second PR.

I also feel that MMs should count for points, maybe depending on the PR of the players. Also, beating OoS players should only matter if they are top level. And we should lose points for losing to an OoS player ( lol jk.. kinda >_>.. )

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I like the enthusiasm and ideas Allan, we'll definitely talk about this.

I'm all for more competition, just last time we made the pr list 20 people it didn't sit well with everyone lol people don't like change :/.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
Jerm also brought up a good point in an AIM convo. This system will promote MORE rivalry. Houston can trash talk dallas and when dallas shows up to houston we can see which city claims the most points/wins the most MMs(that gives u points). Hell, if DONE right, CREW BATTLES can be worth point.

just ideas
regardless of my opinion that the community isnt capable of something exciting like rivalries and decent trash talking without meatriding irl etc,and any kind of pride

im not arguing
We should at least make circuit for points so we have decent seeding that isnt:

(Example) well playerA is decent and so is playerB so they should fight below average players etc ill seed them here

that isnt seeding thats just laziness

THE MAIN REASON IS THIS:

dojos gonna get 1st seed period in pools in tx,who cares

why bother him with pools and burden 6-7 players with the strain of dojo

if we had a decent community dojo would have circuit points and go on to bracket/skip amatuer bracket

thats called a competitive bracket

which has yet to exsist for tx in brawl

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
yeah and im sure xyro would be down for a circuit and no offense to anyone but we dont need any kind of approval.

just representative from every part of tx willing to cooperate

the ama PR is dumb tho

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I'm sort of with magik on that. I don't try nearly as hard in MMs than I do in tourney.

Thats just me though and wouldn't mind if you did count them.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
if you want to try to win money/disgrace someone then ok if you dont want it to count

why dont we do no johns matches for points then

razer i challenge you to a no johns match

etc

razer dont even have to accept

then i call him a scrub

scrub

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I like both ideas, as long as the point system is well-made. I also think MMs should count towards points, as it gives Smashers further incentives to challenge better Smashers to MMs. I feel an important part of improving in Brawl, or any game for that matter, is playing people better than you at their best. What better way to get someone to fight at their best than a MM? (Yes, I know some people still sandbag, haha.)

Speaking as a person not on the PR, it's a neat idea to have an up-and-coming PR. It's more of a personal benchmark. You see yourself on that list, and it makes you want to improve even more in hopes of getting on the actual PR someday in the future.

When I first moved to Austin for college, the PR was instrumental to me in understanding the tournament scene in Texas. The same's true for tournaments I've been to in Louisiana and Alabama. It allows me to put a face with a name. Texas is a very large state with many great Smashers; by looking at an amateur PR, out-of-state Smashers will understand our scene better.

I will say, though, that if these ideas do get taken into effect, there should be an agreement of no whining if you're not on either PR. It just makes our state look stupid to be arguing over PRs for pages upon pages.

Nike.

Smash Hero
The 2 bracket idea seems like an extremely good one Xyro. The questions you brought up for the point system was very nice.

Maybe MM's of at least a certain amount of money ($5?) could be included?

I think the only major flaw in all of this is placing the really good players that don't attend much (dmg/royr/infinity/d4bat/trex/3000/samboner/jumpman). Mainly, which PR would they be eligible for?

/Green Lesbian for President

Xyro77

I agree with this idea.

I also feel that MMs should count for points, maybe depending on the PR of the players. Also, beating OoS players should only matter if they are top level. And we should lose points for losing to an OoS player ( lol jk.. kinda >_>.. )
ONLY pr players from oos can count for points if you defet them. if 50 jimboooo calibur players showed up from uganda and i beat them all i shouldnt collect a single point.

I like the enthusiasm and ideas Allan, we'll definitely talk about this.

I'm all for more competition, just last time we made the pr list 20 people it didn't sit well with everyone lol people don't like change :/.
Because you had no basis to add those people other than "lol it promotes competition." If points were asigned to them and they were in a list other than the main pr(ameture pr for example) then it woldnt be so bad because the people u mention were good just not MAIN pr good.

And thank you for at least considering it

MM shouldnt count for the point based system
When you 3 stocked stocked snakeeee did you feel anyhting like "omg i just 3stocked the best zs on earth!!!!"

Had that been a MM you should get credit for what you did. What if you did that to snakeee first round of a tourney but lost the next 2. you would get 2nd to last place even though you did an AMAZING feat. That awesome win should not go unrewarded.

Xyro77

The 2 bracket idea seems like an extremely good one Xyro. The questions you brought up for the point system was very nice.

Maybe MM's of at least a certain amount of money ($5?) could be included?

I think the only major flaw in all of this is placing the really good players that don't attend much (dmg/royr/infinity/d4bat/trex/3000/samboner/jumpman). Mainly, which PR would they be eligible for?

/Green Lesbian for President
nike, the players that rarely attend will get points based off of the events they DID attend and then will lose points if they miss 2 or 3 ranked events(it doesnt have to be 2-3 i just picked a number). Its a fair way of taking there points away due to thier inactivity but at the same time its fair to put them on the list in the first place if they collect enough points to earn it.

Razer, you need to man up and realize that you john you just made is why MMs mean nex to nothing these days. Your kind can just fall back on "oh i wasnt trying that hard cause its not a toruney match". With MMs holding points it means MM will only be made if BOTH players intend on proving something......like they used to

PS: this is not a 2 BRACKET idea. This is a 2 PR idea.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Why would you not try in a MM and just give your money away? Unless you feel you are going to lose anyways and you stop trying game 2 or something, I see not point in not trying in a MM that you agree to play.

Xyro77

yes and the MMs DONT have to be ranked MMs. You can always do your regular MMs ans john about it like normal, razer. The point of ranked MMs is to help the people who get match-up ***** in bracket(because brawl IS about match-ups) have a chance and getting some points back through MMs. Obviously the higher the player you beat th more points you will get.

results+mm=points=rank on the main pr or the 2nd pr= player has a sense of accomplishment=encourages then to attend more events=more turnout=revival of tx

Kyle/Zac/Vorgy. PM me asap about a circuit. I have all the ideas/info/answers to your questions.

I was kinda thinking the circuit could consist of:

HOBO or 2
Phase
Final Smash
RGV event
Then it would be nice to have the finals in AUSTIN so that its a midway point for ALL cities.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Why would you not try in a MM and just give your money away? Unless you feel you are going to lose anyways and you stop trying game 2 or something, I see not point in not trying in a MM that you agree to play.
Well, if you have the money to throw away, you don't care.

I'd think that some people see it as "I have the money to do money matches and still walk away with a nice fat wad of cash, I'll kinda throw some MMs too."

At least, that's how I see it.

"An image of someone blowing their nose with a $100.00 bill comes to mind when I think about it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah I'm already talking to Allan about the finals being in austin. Going to start looking for an amazing venue soon for it. Austin is perfect because it's right in the center.

Xyro77

Plus, if ANYTHING, it will help put austin on the tx map for future brawl events. This whole circuit/2 pr thing is a win-win situation.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I dont think mms should count for points. It would turn into just a competition of who can challenge Nd win the most mms. What if a guy doesnt want to do mms or isnt comfortable putting his money up. He could lose his spot to another guy just cause he didnt mm people and get enough points. It should be only off results, which is what everyone participates in

TheJerm

Smash Champion
No, ozz, MMs will stay the same. You dont HAVE to accept them. If you dont want to MM, you wont be penalized, cept maybe called names lol.

And MMs can be worth only a small amount of points, so it doesnt change too much, but still gives some people that push that can be useful for a spot up.

Xyro77

I dont think mms should count for points. It would turn into just a competition of who can challenge Nd win the most mms. What if a guy doesnt want to do mms or isnt comfortable putting his money up. He could lose his spot to another guy just cause he didnt mm people and get enough points. It should be only off results, which is what everyone participates in
That wont happen ozz because u cant keep MMing people for points after a certain number of MMs. Thats like u MM me 20 times and u pass up hylian because u get SO many points from beating me. Thats cheating.

I recommend MMs should only count for points if its:

A NON rank challenges a RANKED player. so the non rank can collect points and the ranked person cant

A RANKED player challenges another RANKED player. either one can get points.

A NON ranked player challenges a OOS PR member. only the non ranked player gets points.

A RANKED player challenges a OOS PR player. only the ranked player can get points.

And the MM limit is 1 or 2 PER RANKED EVENT(a MM match and a rematch if u need it). and MMs will not trump a 5th place spot on a tourney. MMs are just SMALL boosters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom