• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Statement Regarding Brawl and the MLG 2009 Pro Circuit

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
There is a problem with gamebattles... its simply that online Brawl is terrible, and that even the better players in reailty will lose because of the lack of the same physics. Its like trying to play on a hdtv (x2)... I get so frusterated when I try to do a fair, and then 3 seconds later it finally happens... its kind of annoying that there are prizes and such involved with such a buggy stle of playing. They really should officially make it a circuit for people who put so much time and effort into this game.

TiersAre4Queers

Smash Rookie
I have seen some threads and posts around here lately regarding Brawl’s exclusion from the 2009 MLG Pro Circuit. A lot of people have stated opinions and claimed to know the reasons, and rather than just leave it all to speculation I want to come right out about it and address the issue.

You realize that if it WAS in MLG there would be items, all stages(probably random), and all charachters, right? At least it would still be timed.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
You realize that if it WAS in MLG there would be items, all stages(probably random), and all charachters, right? At least it would still be timed.
Um no, this isn't true at all.

Previous MLG seasons hosting smash events have played by traditional tournament rules including no items, restricted stage lists, playing by stock matches.

Of course it would include all characters, unless the SBR bans Metaknight in its official ruleset.

Research the facts before you make a claim like that about MLG, otherwise I am forced to believe you are a troll (which doesn't seem so farfetched considering that other random post you've made since becoming a member).

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
I have to wonder what it'll take for MLG to reconsider. Melee was a huge success with them, so it's quite a surprise that they'd pass over Brawl. Maybe as the Brawl tourney scene continues to grow, they'll take another look. Not that most of us care, Smash tourneys are everywhere regardless of sponsorship...

Lui9078

Smash Apprentice
At least someone from MLG took the time to post something for us...while I personally don't ever feel that I would have an interest (or the skill :-P) to participate in a Smash Bros. MLG, I do understand how it could be disappointing for a lot of people.

However, I feel that the close community that the Smash Bros. series has cannot ever really be shaken. Sure we don't get huge sanctioned tournaments and huge prizes, but is that what it's really all about? I can remember playing Melee and going to some local tournaments around an hour or so away from where I live. I feel like we will continue to still have tournaments and continue to thrive as a Smash community as a whole. You love the game for the fact that you enjoy it, not for the fact that you get huge tournament play for it. The true enjoyment of the game is what you need to experience (and you certainly don't need major tournaments for that, however it does help a bit).

Anywho, figured I'd throw that out there. Thanks for the post JV...

~Z

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
So, MLG went with GOW2, R6V2 over Brawl?
Stupid.
It's all FREAKING SHOOTERS!
I bet you if we legalized the Ray Gun and Cracker Launcher, they would put it up.
This is BS, JV. I have lost almost all my faith in MLG after that move. R6V2 gets a Pro Circuit, with events in major cities, sponsorships, etc, and Brawl gets 1 GB tourney? ON WIFI? Seriously, look around the boards a bit, JV. In person is where it's at.
Brawl better not get the shaft for MLG again. Buying the boards means nothing to me. All it did was take away my post count and add new people to the backroom. Which, BTW, InfernoRage1 should be in there, ask any Midwest TO.
I would also like to add that, before, there was little to no advertising on the boards, now there's all kinds. Kinda a pain in the ***.
Ummm, R6V2 isnt even on the Pro Circuit this year. The games currently are Halo 3, GoW 2, and WoW.

Well you got one of them correct. We would in fact use all the characters! Seriously, in years of running Melee tournaments we pretty much used, or better yet created, the community standard ruleset. Pretty dumb to think it would otherwise should Brawl get on the circuit.

So yeah the moral is for the first two is everyone is allowed to have an opinion. But you might want to do the whole look into things a little more before you pull some crazy stuff outta nowhere.

What about Melee?
I've mentioned this before. But theres been some comments about it still. So I will try to address it. The reality is Melee is amazing, its still my favorite game ever. But it just does not make sense to run a previous version of a game series pretty much ever. The brawl community is big, the technical side of the game has grown, and the game has a lot of potential in itself. So its not that Melee wont be shown in any form (although it might be the case) but whatever we do Brawl will be the focal point of things.

I'm still pretty new to the circuit, but I had heard that there would be no Nationals this year. Is this the reason why, or not, or is my information wrong?
Schedule is still being put together for the rest of the season.

So yeah like ive said before I am as hopeful as anyone that Brawl will be back in. Looking at the size and scale of our events this year it just blows me away when I think of my tournament in basement start or even just the first season of MLG. Its a stage I think Brawl deserves to be on.

Lui and a lot of people have had a lot of really positive comments. Appreciated!

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
It's kinda sad that MLG did not include Brawl in this year's Pro Circuit, but I'm glad they're still holding it up for GB. Maybe they'll include it next year.

Allied

Smash Master
i'm pretty sure next year is looking for a good lineup starting brawl

thinking about it MLG would be close to braindead if they didn't include brawl

smash tournaments would be their biggest money maker if not 1 of their top

its followed so closely with so many members 2nd biggest to the halo community

idk

i hope to see MLGbrawl

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
I never knew MLG was that complicated but I'm glad the thrad has opeed my eyes to the truth about the whole thing. Hopefully Brawl will makes it scene on MLG and I'll be there to participate in those events.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I know it won't happen, but I think it would be smarter to put melee and brawl on the Circuit. Seeing as how our community is split in two, half plays melee and half plays brawl. Plus brawl isn't very fun to watch, planking, running out the timer, and no combos sounds like a game thats not fun to watch.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Melee games go by faster than Brawl, GameCubes are cheaper than Wiis, and Melee's WAY more fun to watch than Brawl. You did Melee in the past, and everyone loved it. Bring back Melee.

I guess it's not new enough, so it's probably automatically ruled out... *sigh*

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I am impressed that one can write six paragraphs and explain nothing at all.

You are talented, sir.

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman
But there is room, money, etc for Madden?

How is their community stronger than ours?

Brawl could at least have a side tournament at one event.

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman
Well.. to be honest Madden is really popular. Probably more so than Smash.
How do you back this up besides all the people that say they are 'the balls' at Madden? The hundreds of annual tournaments?

No offense. In Dallas, at a local game store we hosted a Brawl tourney with 30-40+

Then we had a Madden tournament...ten people. And this is Dallas, home of the richest team.

Whatever, I guess I just don't agree with that. :D

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
How do you back this up besides all the people that say they are 'the balls' at Madden? The hundreds of annual tournaments?

No offense. In Dallas, at a local game store we hosted a Brawl tourney with 30-40+

Then we had a Madden tournament...ten people. And this is Dallas, home of the richest team.

Whatever, I guess I just don't agree with that. :D
I thought Madden tourney's were teh illlegalz. then again, isn't brawl+?

agni1423

Smash Rookie
The reality is that making a decision about whether to include a game on the Pro Circuit is a very complex process. There are an immense amount of factors that go into it, from the space on our shipping trucks, the setups, venue space, prize money/operating cost, sponsorships, the current economy, or a variety of other things. And that’s the truth. This year there was not any one reason Brawl was not on the circuit. It was a combination of factors that simply didn’t line up properly.

Property Developers
technology managed services

LewsTherin

Smash Cadet
hi 2 you my friend the bot! ^

Anyhow, the guy who made the original post has obviously studied rhetoric. He said nothing concrete at all, explained nothing, explicitly stated nothing except his condolences etc. Kinda pathetic that A: he thinks that is enough of a response, and B: some people accepted that.

I would like to know the reason please, not be told it's too complicated to be explained to my simple mind D:

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Is it possible both Brawl and Melee would be apart of MLG 2010?
I can understand why it probably wouldn't be, but is there still a chance?

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I am impressed that one can write six paragraphs and explain nothing at all.

You are talented, sir.
Cut the guy some slack.

He has to make an official statement on behalf of a big corporation explaining why said corporation was unable to provide a much-desired service to a large community. He has to do this while at the same time making it apparent to the Smash community that MLG is not simply disregarding Brawl as a competitive game and protecting the company's image.

If you read carefully you'll see that he mentioned MLG "[having] to make a business decision". What this boils down to is that the decision to carry Brawl on the circuit would have hurt MLG as a company. How exactly it hurts MLG is, quite frankly, none of our business; we are not privy to the inner workings of their logistics and/or accounting departments (the departments that answer the questions "Is it possible?" and "Can we afford it?") and cannot ask to be.

Of course he's not going to outline every specific reason Brawl could not be included; that's sensitive information. We as a community should be (and are) thankful that they are being as straightforward with us as they are. It shows their desire and willingness to work towards making Brawl a possibility on the MLG circuit, which gives me, at least, faith that one day their business decision will be in our favor.

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman
I think that this thread is pretty interesting when you consider it may be applied to MLGs logic when deciding Brawl shouldn't be on the 09 circuit.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247244

Now, I haven't even read a post after the first one, but it seems very true, and also puts Brawl's competitive and entertaining value at stake for the future. Just more food for thought.

Also, the Madden tournament was rather weak at MLG Dallas, I thought, not A TON of people were there for it, I know Brawl could have doubled or tripled the numbers, but after reading that thread I linked, I'm starting to see why Brawl might just always be a side tournament or just on GameBattles.

White_Mike

Smash Lord
I love playing Gears 2 but omfg the MLG matches are a JOKE!

Seriously omg, it's all stalemates and camping, I DOUBT it will be on the circuit next year, I hope not.

I don't want brawl on the circuit next year because even though I have no problem with people playing brawl, but if brawl gets that advantage over melee, melee will definitely be drowned out.

Melee is just soooooo much more fun to watch, I wish that it shined like Halo 2 did back in the day, but it was always in the back seat.

:[

Top Bottom