• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Project - Ver. 1

Jeroen Schaafsma

Smash Rookie
I guess you have a point. And yes, his jumping inhale is awesome. Some custom movesets are so inspiring it makes me wonder why they weren't made the standard.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Jumping Inhale removes the ability to harm opponents by using the star spit attack, which is why it wouldn't be a part of Kirby's default moveset.

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a huge fan of customs but I'm really feeling jumping inhale now. Upper cutter of course is a direct upgrade too. It really helps Kirby a lot. I'm still pushing for the 3131 ruleset to be part of the set. I guess it's because I'm a pretty vanilla player.

Here's just something incredibly stupid you can do with jumping inhale. http://gfycat.com/GraciousDeliciousAmericanmarten

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I'm not a huge fan of customs but I'm really feeling jumping inhale now. Upper cutter of course is a direct upgrade too. It really helps Kirby a lot. I'm still pushing for the 3131 ruleset to be part of the set. I guess it's because I'm a pretty vanilla player.

Here's just something incredibly stupid you can do with jumping inhale. http://gfycat.com/GraciousDeliciousAmericanmarten
I played online doubles yesterday and got some kirbycides off, it was pretty funny. Jumping Inhale really changes offstage game. I think with it, Upper Cutter, and Meteor Stone, you could get some serious option coverage.

Last edited:

Jeroen Schaafsma

Smash Rookie

Here's just something incredibly stupid you can do with jumping inhale.
LOL wtf.

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Everything is right about that GIF.

Anyway when properly spaced, most characters can't punish Wave Cutter anyway. Plus on stages with platforms (all but Final D but really why go to Final D with Kirby) you can get plenty of neat tricks with it. Yeah Upper Cutter is better, but Wave Cutter definitely has its uses (I pick Wave Cutter any day of the week <_<) and I think we should have a moveset with it on there. 3221 was literally perfect. (Okay so it wasn't but it was perfect for me <_<)

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I like Wave Cutter, but I probably won't use it in any serious setup unless some kind of incredibly specific scenario occurs. Or if I just feel like using it, I guess.

Also, is Upper Cutter not invincible anymore? I've been spiked out of it a few times.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I don't want to be rude, but we're doing generally used movesets. Unless you can convince us that it's truly worth using Wave Cutter on a set over Upper Cutter, it won't be getting on any sets.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Also, is Upper Cutter not invincible anymore? I've been spiked out of it a few times.
I'm confused about this as well. Although I was never really clear on exactly how Upper Cutter's invincibility worked to begin with.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
It supposedly Invincible at frame 5 in the air. Not sure how long the invincibly duration is.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
So to summarize what we have so far:

Critical Sets:

Jumping Inhale (Neutral B3), Hammer Bash (Side B2), and Upper Cutter (Up B3) are generally accepted as Kirby's best specials. The choice of Stone (Down B) is down to preference/match-up, with the default Stone being the least match-up specific.

Supplemental Sets:
3331 - Giant Hammer set, mainly for capitalizing off Shield Breaks in the Marth/Lucina match-up. Great set for teams as Giant Hammer is amazing there.
3131 - Same as above except Hammer Flip instead of Giant Hammer
1231 - For the Olimar Match-up due to Jumping Inhale's Pikmin glitch
1233 - Same as above except with Meteor Stone since it's not as risky against Olimar's predictable recovery
2231 - Ice Breath set. Decent in match ups against opponents with crappy copy-abilities, and can cover a lot of ledge options

That's 8 sets in total, so there's room for 2 more.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I think 1231 should be removed, since Meteor Stone is always preferable against Olimar, isn't it? In its place, we should have another Ice Breath set! For example, 2233. Imagine the possibilities of Ice Breath and Meteor Stone working in conjunction!

Right, so I think Ice Breath's functionality may be limited by the fact that its knockback does scale with percent, meaning at high percent, a frozen opponent will fly relatively far upwards. This means that an opponent can simply get hit by the move until they are at a sufficient percent, if they are not already, and proceed to get frozen and jump over you at the ledge without even using their recovery. Rather unfortunate.

Or maybe this could be exactly what we want...?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I think 1231 should be removed, since Meteor Stone is always preferable against Olimar, isn't it? In its place, we should have another Ice Breath set! For example, 2233. Imagine the possibilities of Ice Breath and Meteor Stone working in conjunction!

Right, so I think Ice Breath's functionality may be limited by the fact that its knockback does scale with percent, meaning at high percent, a frozen opponent will fly relatively far upwards. This means that an opponent can simply get hit by the move until they are at a sufficient percent, if they are not already, and proceed to get frozen and jump over you at the ledge without even using their recovery. Rather unfortunate.

Or maybe this could be exactly what we want...?
I kinda agree that Meteor Stone is better against Olimar. I would probably always use 1233 over 1231 in the matchup, but I don't know if the rest of the community would. I guess you would actually have to be comfortable with Meteor Stone to use it and don't suicide. But if the rest of the Kirby boards doesn't object, we could remove 1231.

EDIT: Also, I have never really gotten myself into Ice Breath. Its major use is edgeguarding, right? In which matchups would it be worth using?

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
In my experience, Ice Breath is good against any character that can neither hit you from below the ledge while you're using the move (stage counterpicks may also play a role in this), nor recover over you without leaving themselves vulnerable (for example, Pikachu and Meta Knight would have no problem with Ice Breath, while Captain Falcon and Bowser would). It covers all four ledge options if spaced properly. As I said, however, it might be able to be circumvented at higher percents.

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
First and foremost, which Kirbies are headed to EVO? Since this project was revived for the sanctity of EVO and it's entrants. I feel the EVO Kirbies should get a fair say in this. If there are any headed to EVO. :ohwell:

Also, some of the tourny Kirbies should get a good input, too. I'd like to hear @ Triple R Triple R and his thoughts on his custom set ups. I think Asdioh already put his thoughts up. Anyway, I'll try to tally up what we have so far tomorrow and try to get this organized. :)

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
First and foremost, which Kirbies are headed to EVO? Since this project was revived for the sanctity of EVO and it's entrants. I feel the EVO Kirbies should get a fair say in this. If there are any headed to EVO. :ohwell:

Also, some of the tourny Kirbies should get a good input, too. I'd like to hear @ Triple R Triple R and his thoughts on his custom set ups. I think Asdioh already put his thoughts up. Anyway, I'll try to tally up what we have so far tomorrow and try to get this organized. :)
I definitely think every Kirby player here should have a say in this, but if a EVO Kirby doesn't see their preferred movesets in the list, then obviously they should say so and the sets will probably be included. I myself can't afford to go to EVO, but I do attend locals here in Sweden. With 10 sets, I don't think we will have that much of a problem with including sets of everyone's liking.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I'm registered for EVO. The set I use the most is 3233, though I may also use 3232 and 3231. I'm pretty sure these will be included, so I'm all set.

I'm interested in Ice Breath, though I'll have to try it out in some more actual matches to decide whether I want to use it or not. I don't use side special much (might want implement it into my playstyle further), but Hammer Bash is the only one I tend to use.

Triple R

Smash Lord
At this point I don't really have an opinion on Kirby's custom moves. I've only played in one custom moves tourney and that was like a week after the 3DS version came out.

The only custom that sticks out to me is obviously upper cutter. After that it all seems like personal preference. I'm such a vanilla type person that I might just keep using default specials even if customs do become legal overall.

Edit: And I should be at EVO this year. Have my room booked and pass bought. Just have to get my flight arranged.

Last edited:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Ok, guys, I hope I'm not too horrible at this but I went through the thread (1 page really) since the revival of the project and gathered what sets were popularly mentioned and tallied them up.

(4) - 3231
Reserved, MikeKirby, Devenator, Altair357

(4) - 3232
Uknownkid, Reserved, Altair357, MikeKirby

(4) - 3233
Reserved, MikeKirby, Devenator, Altair357

(4) - 2231
Reserved, Devenator, MikeKirby, Altair357

(4) - 1131
Woot Snorlax, Triple R, Devenator, MikeKirby

(2) - 3131
Woot Snorlax, Reserved

(2) - 1231
MikeKirby, Devenator

(2) - 1233
Reserved, Devenator

(2) - 2232
Reserved, Altair357

(2) - 2233
Devenator, Altair357

(1) - 3221
Kirbyfan66

(1) - 3331
Reserved

(1) - 1133
Devenator

I hope people will give at least give their top 4-8 picks to give a better picture of where we stand as a whole. I know I missed a few, let me know! @Asdioh , @t!MmY gimme insight, pls! I know your thoughts are somewhere on the boards and I've probably missed 'em. :ohwell:

@ WootSnorlax WootSnorlax

@ kirbyfan66 kirbyfan66

@ Unknownkid Unknownkid

@ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima

@ Altair357 Altair357

@ MikeKirby MikeKirby

@ Triple R Triple R
1131 (?)

@ Deven3000 Deven3000

Edit: Added Devenator's (AKA Deven3000) votes

Edit 2: Updated with Altair357

Last edited:

Deven3000

MikeKirby Sucks
Here are my top4 sets
1131 (more for dubs)

and I'm fine with all those with normal stone replaced with meteor stone, so;

These are pretty much the result of what MikeKirby and I agree to have the most potential with out getting too gimmicky since gimmicks can only take you so far...

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Think you missed my votes for:

But yeah, my top four are the following.

I also like 2232 and 2233.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Just gonna say, don't throw out sets and expect them to get added in. We need reasons for why specific sets are chosen, or they won't be taken into account.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Standard inhale and giant hammer are on a few set ups on my system but only because they are so good when theres 4 or more people on the screen so i use them for 2v2 3v3 and 4v4

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Just gonna say, don't throw out sets and expect them to get added in. We need reasons for why specific sets are chosen, or they won't be taken into account.
I kinda agree with you, however I think that it's a good idea to summarize the board's general opinion on preferred sets, like @ MikeKirby MikeKirby is doing right now. That way we can see which sets Kirby players want to have on the list and from there we can argue for which of those sets are the most relevant. It might seem like an unnecessary step, but it just feels way better to have some statistics to look at when doing something like this.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
This is just... Really weird.

EDIT: I just tested this on my own 3DS. Apparently Inhale vs. Jumping Inhale doesn't matter (like we thought before), but Hammer Flip vs. Hammer Bash DOES matter.

I tested these setups and got the following result:

11XX - The non-sticky throw.
12XX - The sticky throw.
31XX - The non-sticky throw.
32XX - The sticky throw.

Would it be any difference on a Wii U (I don't see why)? I have 1.0.5 on my 3DS.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
This is something I found just recently on reddit. I dunno if this was discussed or not, but in case it wasn't. Apparently,

If Kirby is running custom side-2 (Hammer Bash), his Inhale will copy Olimar's side-2 (Sticky Pikmin Throw)

"Apologies for tomato quality, and I haven't been able to test this on Wii U yet. None of Kirby's other special moves matter, except that he can't do this with neutral-2 (Ice Breath). It also doesn't matter what moves Olimar is running." -OP
This is just... Really weird.

EDIT: I just tested this on my own 3DS. Apparently Inhale vs. Jumping Inhale doesn't matter (like we thought before), but Hammer Flip vs. Hammer Bash DOES matter.

I tested these setups and got the following result:

11XX - The non-sticky throw.
12XX - The sticky throw.
31XX - The non-sticky throw.
32XX - The sticky throw.

Would it be any difference on a Wii U (I don't see why)? I have 1.0.5 on my 3DS.
HOLY SNAPS! Someone test this with Giant Hammer.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Which makes sense. Can you try Mario and see if you get Fast Fireball or Fire Orb?
Alright. I now tested on my Wii U, which gave me the same results as on 3DS. I also tried all combinations of hammers and inhales on Mario and they all gave me the default Fireball.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Alright. I now tested on my Wii U, which gave me the same results as on 3DS. I also tried all combinations of hammers and inhales on Mario and they all gave me the default Fireball.
Nice work. Thank you for testing this. I would have done it myself but I am at work. Blast, I was hoping we get everyone's custom moves. I want Hype Speed Monado Kirby!

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Someone on reddit gave this theory, and I think it may be worth a read:

This glitch is probably due to the fact that Kirby's Olimar hat emulates Olimar's B followed immediately with his Side-B, and is the only character like that.

I'm willing to bet that Kirby's Side-B 3 would copy Olimar's Side-B 3 as well. -kitsovereign

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Nice work. Thank you for testing this. I would have done it myself but I am at work. Blast, I was hoping we get everyone's custom moves. I want Hype Speed Monado Kirby!
Of course I want to do what I can for the Kirby community! It would certainly have been interesting if this would work with all characters.
Someone on reddit gave this theory, and I think it may be worth a read:
Hmm yeah, that might be true, but it's hard to tell apart from the default as Olimar's default side-B also sticks to enemies but Kirby's throw with Hammer Flip doesn't... It felt like the pikmin throw had less knockback when I had Giant Hammer, but I'm not sure if it's just my imagination.

Also, I guess we don't need 1XXX sets as specific Olimar matchup sets anymore, but I guess maybe we should have one anyway as some players seem to prefer Inhale over Jumping Inhale?

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Of course I want to do what I can for the Kirby community! It would certainly have been interesting if this would work with all characters.

Hmm yeah, that might be true, but it's hard to tell apart from the default as Olimar's default side-B also sticks to enemies but Kirby's throw with Hammer Flip doesn't... It felt like the pikmin throw had less knockback when I had Giant Hammer, but I'm not sure if it's just my imagination.

Also, I guess we don't need 1XXX sets as specific Olimar matchup sets anymore, but I guess maybe we should have one anyway as some players seem to prefer Inhale over Jumping Inhale?
I believe Olimar's Side-3 isn't supposed to have the Pikmin stick or hold at all. It just treats them all as purple pikmin, and they just smack into you.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I believe Olimar's Side-3 isn't supposed to have the Pikmin stick or hold at all. It just treats them all as purple pikmin, and they just smack into you.
I know, but that's kinda what Kirby's default Pikmin Throw does as well, right?

EDIT: When he carries Hammer Flip, that is.

Last edited:

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846

The Olimar glitch is the only reason Inhale was in any sets. Since that glitch is proven not to be related to Inhale now, it's down to whether we want Inhale for the starshot properties in doubles. In singles, Jumping Inhale is better in every way.

In doubles, some players might prefer a damaging starshot. The starshot certainly doesn't make Inhale as good as its alternative, but it might give the move a reason to be available.

I think Inhale should maybe be on one set if we decide that it's worth it just for doubles.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Well since MikeKirby and Tripe R prefer Inhale over Jumping Inhale and they are more tournament based kirby players, we should keep inhale for them.

Top Bottom