• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I'd like to reinforce the point that neutral stages shouldn't be chosen because they are literally neutral. If we go by this logic then no stage would be neutral because all stages give some kind of advantage to certain characters. Instead we should choose neutral stages by how normal they are. Also we need to do away with randomly selecting the first stage from the neutral list. Instead we should use a strike out system to determine it.

Stage/Character Selection:

1) Players take turns striking out one neutral stage, remaining stage will be the first stage.
2) Loser picks next stage
3) Winner picks character
4) Loser picks character

Neutral:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island/Brawl
Lylate Cruise

Counter Pick:

Delfino Plaza (movement, walk off ledges, walls, water, passable bottom platform)
Bridge of Eldin (hazards, walk off ledges)
Rumble Falls (movement, hazards)
Skyworld (destructible environment)
Castle Seige (transformations, walk off ledges)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (transformations, various effects)
Halberd (movement, hazards, passable bottom platform)
Shadow Moses (walls, walk off ledges)
PictoChat (transformations, hazards)
Summit (hazards, water, various effects)
Norfair (hazards)
Mario Circuit (hazards)
Frigate Orpheon (transformations)
Yoshi's Island/Melee (walk off ledges)
Corneria (hazards, walls)
Onett (hazards, walls)
Brinstar (hazards, destructible environments)
Rainbow Cruise (movement)
Distant Planet (hazards, various effects)
Mushroomy Kingdom (movement, walls, walk off ledges)
Port Town Aero Dive (movement, hazards, passable bottom platform)
Green Hill Zone (hazards, walk off ledges)
Luigi's Mansion (destructible environment)
Jungle Japes (hazards, water)
Green Greens (hazards, various effects)
Pokemon Stadium (transformations, walls)
Hanenbow (various effects)
Pirate Ship (water, movement, hazards, walls)

Banned:

WarioWare Inc. (adverse effects, walk off ledges)
New Pork City (infinite stalling, hazards)
Hyrule Temple (infinite stalling, walls)
Mario Bros. (adverse effects, infinite stalling, walk off ledges)
Spear Pillar (adverse effects, infinite stalling)
75m (infinite stalling, walk off ledges)
Flat Zone 2 (adverse effects, walk off ledges)
Big Blue (adverse effects)

Criteria:
These are the specifics I used to deem whether a stage is neutral, counter pick, or ban worthy. If a stage had none of these traits, then it's neutral. If a stage had any of these traits aside from infinite stalling, and adverse effects then it's counter pick. If a stage had infinite stalling, or adverse effects then it's banned. If other traits are deemed broken in the future, then the stages that have them will be banned.

Movement- stage moves among locations
Hazards- stage can cause harm to the players
Walls- stage has walls
Walk off ledges- stage has walk off ledges
Water- stage has water
Transformations- stage transforms
Destructible environment- stage can be destroyed
Various effects- other effects including low traction, gravity, etc.
Passable bottom platform- bottom platform can be passed through
Adverse effects- stage is deemed too random or detrimental to the players
Infinite stalling- players can runaway indefinitely in a loop

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Bridge of Eldin really shouldn't be a counterpick. It should just be banned.

But hey, whatevs.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I see your point. A few hours ago, I tested it against a human player. Camping on a leaf was very effective and helped me keep the lead regardless of whether he knocked me off the leaf or not. I would show you video prooff, but I don't have the means to transfer it onto the computer. Certain characters are better at camping than others. Hanebow can give characters like Olimar, Snake, and Marth unfair advantages when played campy and defensively.
That's funny, because I have one friend who likes to spam Samus's charge shot and one who likes to spam Pit's arrows, and they hate when the random picks Hanenbow because the leaves block their projectiles and promotes air combat due to the fact leaves can be made uneven to fight on top of. When they try to run, I seem to have no issue keeping up with them (and I play Ike and Olimar, so you clearly don't need too much mobility to keep up).

S2

Smash Lord
Bridge of Eldin really shouldn't be a counterpick. It should just be banned.

But hey, whatevs.
Well currently walkoffs are not banned.

They were banned in Melee due to waveshining for a free kill. DDD's chain throw was a concern, but as of now it isn't as effective as to ban all the walkoffs just due to him.

And yeah, the walkoffs DO favor certain characters, but that's why its counerpick.

The only major obstacle on Eldin is the bomb... and its avoidable just as easily as say the laser canon on the Halberd.

AlexX

Smash Ace
The only major obstacle on Eldin is the bomb... and its avoidable just as easily as say the laser canon on the Halberd.
You can also prevent it from being dropped at all by attacking the King Bulbin a bit before where he would have dropped it.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
that never stopped him when i played. Also, walk-offs shouls stay counterpick because even though Dedede has a cahin grab it only works on select characters and the opponent could easily chose someone whose not susceptible to it and cause it to be a more even ground fight, granted its difficult to predict Dedede's select due to advance slobs.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Seriously though, nothing has been proven to be broken about wall stages. Some characters have infinite locks like laser lock, shine lock, ice block lock, and jab lock but those things are incredibly difficult to setup, and if your opponent manages to pull that off on you in a match then they deserve to win that stock. DDD CG infinite is easier than the locks but he can't CG 12 characters and most of the other characters who can be CG can escape before hitting the wall. So there is literally nothing broken about wall stages.

I'm also tired of the hypocrisy in this thread. Some people want to ban shadow moses because it has walls but then be ok with stages like Onett and Corneria that also have walls. Or how some people want to ban Bridge of Eldin because it has walk off ledges but then be ok with Mario Circuit. People need to be more consistent with their judgments.

that never stopped him when i played. Also, walk-offs shouls stay counterpick because even though Dedede has a cahin grab it only works on select characters and the opponent could easily chose someone whose not susceptible to it and cause it to be a more even ground fight, granted its difficult to predict Dedede's select due to advance slobs.
Advance slobs make it easy to counter a DDD user going for a wall stage. If you win and your opponent picks a wall stage you can go ahead and pick one of the 12 characters who cannot be CG. If you lose and you pick a wall stage and your opponent picks DDD, then you can still pick one of the 12 characters who cannot be CG.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Mushroomy kingdom should be outright banned. The player on the right starts out with an automatic advantage due to the way the stage scrolls. Also, having a random chance of playing in a different stage entirely counts against it.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
I'd like to reinforce the point that neutral stages shouldn't be chosen because they are literally neutral. If we go by this logic then no stage would be neutral because all stages give some kind of advantage to certain characters. Instead we should choose neutral stages by how normal they are.

*list again*
Well this is true, though it doesn't really matter anyway, we have the 5 stages that are neutral and pretty much everyone agree here, except some users that will post here just once and never look back.

Now really, stop quoting yourself over and over again, I highlighted what I would like to discuss first on your list and even though Summit has started a discussion, no-one wanted to NOT ban Mushroomy Kingdom.

Seriously though, nothing has been proven to be broken about wall stages. Some characters have infinite locks like laser lock, shine lock, ice block lock, and jab lock but those things are incredibly difficult to setup, and if your opponent manages to pull that off on you in a match then they deserve to win that stock. DDD CG infinite is easier than the locks but he can't CG 12 characters and most of the other characters who can be CG can escape before hitting the wall. So there is literally nothing broken about wall stages.

I'm also tired of the hypocrisy in this thread. Some people want to ban shadow moses because it has walls but then be ok with stages like Onett and Corneria that also have walls. Or how some people want to ban Bridge of Eldin because it has walk off ledges but then be ok with Mario Circuit. People need to be more consistent with their judgments.
Well like I've said before Shadow Moses has way different walls then Corneria, the problem is not that there is a wall, but there are four of them, all around the stage. Also, I've listed many reasons for banning the SMI earlier, on which only the one from DDD seems to get some contradiction.

So stop reading just the word walls and then say, see, some characters escape DDD so counterpick. When there are way more reasons pointed out. Besides, you are being a hypocrite by saying Corneria and SMI are either both banned or counterpick, because they both have walls. And yes you do say this, because you say that any person who does want to ban SMI but not Corneria, is being a hypocrite.

Right now we are indeed not banning walk-offs. I believe the same is going on in the BRoom.

Mushroomy kingdom should be outright banned. The player on the right starts out with an automatic advantage due to the way the stage scrolls. Also, having a random chance of playing in a different stage entirely counts against it.
True and this is just one of the reasons.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Battlefield - Depends on whether or not the Smash Balls are on. Easy KO's with Giga-Jiggs and Snake's Final Smash. This is BS. If Smash balls are on, it would be just as easy to KO someone on Final Destination.

Pokémon Stadium - Potentially able to keep someone behind the windmill and rack up damage points. Characters with higher jumping abilities have an edge. Debatable. Uhhh... kind of? I don't see how these are valid excuses.

Rainbow Cruise - Scrolling stage. Potential random advantages. Debatable. The stage scrolls, but everything is predictable and at a set pattern.

Shadow Moses Island - Walk-off edges, if pillars are eliminated. Debatable. Why exactly is Walk-off edges a big deal? The death point for walking off of the stage is way past the camera anyways, and unless you like to fight outside of the camera, it isn't a problem.

Yoshi's Island (Melee) - Walk-off edges. Debatable Plural error, there is only one walk-off edge. See above.

If you ask me, the only stages that should be banned are the ones either unpredictable, Warioware, and the ones that can hurt you.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Fox's shine lock is very easy to set up. Throw an oponent toward a wall, then shine and they'll be stunned, giving you time to keep doing it. It is ridiculously easy to set up a shine lock, corner trap.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I still think that wall stages in general should be allowed including SMI, because it has not been proven to be broken by any means.

Fox's shine lock is very easy to set up. Throw an oponent toward a wall, then shine and they'll be stunned, giving you time to keep doing it. It is ridiculously easy to set up a shine lock, corner trap.
Well if it's that easy then go win some tournaments with it, then I'll be convinced it's broken. And to be clear, theres enough time for your opponent to get away from the wall before Fox runs up to shine after a throw. And at higher percents the opponents will bounce off the wall making that entire setup useless.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
no it really isnt if you're facing a player who knows what they are doing. In order for Fox's wall shine to work you need to right on it and your opponent needs to occupy that small amount of space between Fox and that wall. Throwing a character can simply let them tech and and jump from the wall. to be honest the only time it was easy for me to wallshine someone was on Mushroomy Kingdom, which is one of the many reasons it should be banned because all you need to do is one-up your opponent then just wallshine-suicide your opponent the rest of the match(which i've done).

Empy

Smash Ace
Empy said:
I still think inside that little stupid box I call my head, even when the voices tell me to disregard it, because I suck c0cks.
There, I tried my best to stay reasonable with you, but all you do is repeat the same darn copypasta and then quote me as "snip" when I try to make a point come across. I have even went along with your list and then try to point out what I think was a problem with the stages, still, no results. So really, your just being an idiot, who still can't reply to any of the points about SMI except for the wall, which is different then others because it makes it a tech-place and on top you keep trying to act cool to quote me as "snip" because you simply don't have any way to contradict my points.

So I would like to advice everyone to ignore this guy, he won't truly reply anyway, he will just twist and turn around the point you made and when you tell him to stop doing that, he will quote you as "snip" then keep quoting himself because he thinks that's cool and then disregard anything said to try and start all over again. So don't feed the troll!

Anyway, the list we have so far would then be:

n e u t r a l s t a g e s :

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylate Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island/Brawl

c o u n t e r p i c k l e g a l :

Bridge of Eldin
Brinstar
Castle Seige
Corneria
Delfino Plaza
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Halberd
Hanenbow
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Onett
PictoChat
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
Rainbow Cruise
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island/Melee

b a n n e d s t a g e s :

75m
Big Blue
Flat Zone 2
Rumble Falls
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom
New Pork City
Shadow Moses Island
Spear Pillar
Summit
WarioWare Inc.

List in alphabetic order. I've bolded some of the stages I think should be discussed some more.

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet
A. don't get grabbed near a wall if you know you're going to be thrown into it.
B. Tech

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Port Town Aero Dive is debatable. The fact that it can kill you more than your opponent is a big conscern. People get killed be vehicles fast and at low damage, the platform can easily leave you behind and kill you, and there's that one wall of doom that never fails to hit me. I do agree with it being a counter pick regardless due to the fact that it is still very possible to have an even match, because the wall is perfectly visible, the cars are usually visible before being close enough to hit you, and there's always a warning before the platform takes off.

Green Hill really cant get a realy reason to be banned so i don't understand why it should even be debated. Walk-off is still legal, there is no distinct hazard apart from the checkpoint posts that randomly appear, which still need to be triggered by a player, and the destructable platforms are very obvious and can easily be avoided when they are destroyed.

I still have a bit of debate towards Spear Pillar being banned. The stage is perfectly playable. I say counterpick. Dialga poses little threat due to the fact that his only offensives are very visible ahead of time. Cressalia has more definate hazards but once again are easy to see. Palkia is the one where everyone runs and hides. Palkia's little screen spin trick does gett annoying, but the game is still playable (maybe because im a Sonic player and they tend to mess with the cameras in a few levels), and is very temporary.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I've just done some testing on Flat Zone 2 like I did for the Summit earlier though the stage, unlike the Summit, is actually full of random stuff so it's hard to give a lot of precision. This is one of my favorite stages so I have a bit of a personal interest in seeing it not be auto-banned.

The visible part of the main platform is approximately 16 Falcons (Captain Falcon's body length). I used a "loose" Falcon by not allowing the two Falcons used for measurement to touch each other; a "strict" Falcon measurement that compresses them as much as possible would probably be 17 Falcons. The edges on the left and right extend very far past the visible screen. I estimate 3 Falcons on each, but since I can't see my character there, precision is difficult. That makes the stage approximately 22 Falcons wide which isn't small at all. Vertical distance is even harder to measure, but the visible portion appears to be six Falcons with the boundary off the top extending about 2 Falcons. The ceiling isn't really low, and the stage isn't really small at all.

The stage has 4 forms, Fire, Oil Panic, Chef, and Lion. I'll describe how each one works as best I can.

Fire: This form varies a lot appearance to appearance but is always tame. This is also the "neutral" form so it's around about half the time. It has a random platform layout (unlike the other three forms that have fixed layouts) with an occasional Game and Watch man creating a platform that warps around a bit (there was one just like him in SSBM Flat Zone). The ledges on the far left are drop through and walk off, but due to how far to the left they are, they tend to have little impact on gameplay. The Fire crew will occasionally appear here with the trampoline which can be bounced on for a fixed height gain, but they aren't terribly common and they seem to always move to an adjacent spot of their three possible positions when they move at a fixed time interval. None of the other things that appear here have any impact on gameplay (The people dropping, the guy in the scuba hat), but the workman with the bell on the right signifies the form is about to change.

Oil Panic: The biggest misunderstanding about this stage is what the people do. They each have four fixed positions of equal intervals with the closest one being right next to the gas pump. They warp around randomly but seem to warp after approximately the same amount of time each time. They only attack under one specific circumstance, and that is when they are attacked. They counter every attack with a short ranged leap that does 13% and has scaling knockback that is likely to kill Captain Falcon somewhere starting in the neighborhood of 165%. The policeman on the right rings a bell when this form is about to end.

Chef: Food randomly falls from a fixed height slightly above the upper platform and does 8% damage with low knockback upon hit; it only tends to kill around 200%. The food doesn't fall smoothly but has five distinct heights it warps between on the way down which is just Game and Watch style animation really; the falling speed is a constant The chef in the background will sometimes knock a piece of food up to the original height it came from (it travels up along the same path and with the opposite of the velocity with which it fell), but that's not common. If the chef takes a lot of damage (several Falcon Punches), he'll fly into the background prematurely ending the form. The teapot on the stove to the left will shoot out steam when this form is about to end otheriwse.

Lion: This is the only form I would consider actually bad enough to maybe make this stage ban worthy as this form honestly does suck. The Lion tamers do 12% damage on a hit and can sometimes ping the player back and forth. Much like the people on Oil Panic, they don't kill until very high percentages (around 150%), but they cannot be teched or otherwise recovered out of until you have flown a certain percentage of the distance they are going to knock you since their attack automatically trips you. You are automatically stood up if hit by multiple, but this doesn't seem to give you control for some odd reason. It's very hard to deduce an algorithm for their movement as it's very erratic, but they each obviously only have three fixed positions along the same line. They seem to never both move simultaneously, and there seems to be a short minimum time between movements. A monkey in the upper left rings a bell before this form is going to end.

The stage always starts in the Fire form, it transitions into a random one of the other three forms (they seem to appear with approximately uniform probability), and then it transitions back into Fire for a nice loop. There seem to be no rules to when the three are allowed to appear; the same form can appear after Fire twice in a row. Forms seem to last for a random duration of time, but they all give warning before a shift.

This stage is definitely pretty far on the iffy side, but it's not blatantly unplayable like 75m or as randomly unfair as WarioWare or Spear Pillar. It seems larger than SSBM Flat Zone and less hazardous to boot, especially since 3/4 of the forms really aren't dangerous at all. Fire and Oil Panic are both really great serious forms in which the few interactive elements can be used tactically, and Chef, while sometimes annoying, doesn't really seem to have much of an impact on how matches flow. Lion just plain sucks (much like the actual Game and Watch game Lion), but it seems to usually slow down the pace of combat so players don't tend to get screwed by the tamers all that often. I understand there's good reason to want to get rid of this stage, and if an informed consensus is made concluding that, I could accept and understand it. I hope what I've posted lets people understand how this course actually works as a lot of people seem to have various misunderstandings about the mechanics, and I hope people can reach informed opinions.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
@Port Town
All the cars are perfectly visible and dodgeable, but they're REALLY powerful
(The side cars kill Falcon @ 40% and the background cars @ 50%)
There's enough warning for the takeoff not to kill you
The wall is also not much of an issue

@Spear Pillar
Spear Pillar is Temple + death lazers/boomerangs

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I've just done some testing on Flat Zone 2 like I did for the Summit earlier though the stage, unlike the Summit, is actually full of random stuff so it's hard to give a lot of precision. This is one of my favorite stages so I have a bit of a personal interest in seeing it not be auto-banned.

The visible part of the main platform is approximately 16 Falcons (Captain Falcon's body length). I used a "loose" Falcon by not allowing the two Falcons used for measurement to touch each other; a "strict" Falcon measurement that compresses them as much as possible would probably be 17 Falcons. The edges on the left and right extend very far past the visible screen. I estimate 3 Falcons on each, but since I can't see my character there, precision is difficult. That makes the stage approximately 22 Falcons wide which isn't small at all. Vertical distance is even harder to measure, but the visible portion appears to be six Falcons with the boundary off the top extending about 2 Falcons. The ceiling isn't really low, and the stage isn't really small at all.

The stage has 4 forms, Fire, Oil Panic, Chef, and Lion. I'll describe how each one works as best I can.

Fire: This form varies a lot appearance to appearance but is always tame. This is also the "neutral" form so it's around about half the time. It has a random platform layout (unlike the other three forms that have fixed layouts) with an occasional Game and Watch man creating a platform that warps around a bit (there was one just like him in SSBM Flat Zone). The ledges on the far left are drop through and walk off, but due to how far to the left they are, they tend to have little impact on gameplay. The Fire crew will occasionally appear here with the trampoline which can be bounced on for a fixed height gain, but they aren't terribly common and they seem to always move to an adjacent spot of their three possible positions when they move at a fixed time interval. None of the other things that appear here have any impact on gameplay (The people dropping, the guy in the scuba hat), but the workman with the bell on the right signifies the form is about to change.

Oil Panic: The biggest misunderstanding about this stage is what the people do. They each have four fixed positions of equal intervals with the closest one being right next to the gas pump. They warp around randomly but seem to warp after approximately the same amount of time each time. They only attack under one specific circumstance, and that is when they are attacked. They counter every attack with a short ranged leap that does 13% and has scaling knockback that is likely to kill Captain Falcon somewhere starting in the neighborhood of 165%. The policeman on the right rings a bell when this form is about to end.

Chef: Food randomly falls from a fixed height slightly above the upper platform and does 8% damage with low knockback upon hit; it only tends to kill around 200%. The food doesn't fall smoothly but has five distinct heights it warps between on the way down which is just Game and Watch style animation really; the falling speed is a constant The chef in the background will sometimes knock a piece of food up to the original height it came from (it travels up along the same path and with the opposite of the velocity with which it fell), but that's not common. If the chef takes a lot of damage (several Falcon Punches), he'll fly into the background prematurely ending the form. The teapot on the stove to the left will shoot out steam when this form is about to end otheriwse.

Lion: This is the only form I would consider actually bad enough to maybe make this stage ban worthy as this form honestly does suck. The Lion tamers do 12% damage on a hit and can sometimes ping the player back and forth. Much like the people on Oil Panic, they don't kill until very high percentages (around 150%), but they cannot be teched or otherwise recovered out of until you have flown a certain percentage of the distance they are going to knock you since their attack automatically trips you. You are automatically stood up if hit by multiple, but this doesn't seem to give you control for some odd reason. It's very hard to deduce an algorithm for their movement as it's very erratic, but they each obviously only have three fixed positions along the same line. They seem to never both move simultaneously, and there seems to be a short minimum time between movements. A monkey in the upper left rings a bell before this form is going to end.

The stage always starts in the Fire form, it transitions into a random one of the other three forms (they seem to appear with approximately uniform probability), and then it transitions back into Fire for a nice loop. There seem to be no rules to when the three are allowed to appear; the same form can appear after Fire twice in a row. Forms seem to last for a random duration of time, but they all give warning before a shift.

This stage is definitely pretty far on the iffy side, but it's not blatantly unplayable like 75m or as randomly unfair as WarioWare or Spear Pillar. It seems larger than SSBM Flat Zone and less hazardous to boot, especially since 3/4 of the forms really aren't dangerous at all. Fire and Oil Panic are both really great serious forms in which the few interactive elements can be used tactically, and Chef, while sometimes annoying, doesn't really seem to have much of an impact on how matches flow. Lion just plain sucks (much like the actual Game and Watch game Lion), but it seems to usually slow down the pace of combat so players don't tend to get screwed by the tamers all that often. I understand there's good reason to want to get rid of this stage, and if an informed consensus is made concluding that, I could accept and understand it. I hope what I've posted lets people understand how this course actually works as a lot of people seem to have various misunderstandings about the mechanics, and I hope people can reach informed opinions.
Well thats why its banned, because of the ******* lion part.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
There, I tried my best to stay reasonable with you, but all you do is repeat the same darn copypasta and then quote me as "snip" when I try to make a point come across. I have even went along with your list and then try to point out what I think was a problem with the stages, still, no results. So really, your just being an idiot, who still can't reply to any of the points about SMI except for the wall, which is different then others because it makes it a tech-place and on top you keep trying to act cool to quote me as "snip" because you simply don't have any way to contradict my points.

So I would like to advice everyone to ignore this guy, he won't truly reply anyway, he will just twist and turn around the point you made and when you tell him to stop doing that, he will quote you as "snip" then keep quoting himself because he thinks that's cool and then disregard anything said to try and start all over again. So don't feed the troll!
Snip just means that I shorten the quote to take up less place, thats very common on forum boards, it has nothing to do with being cool, welcome to the internet. Spouting off insults doesn't help when you're trying to call someone else an idiot. I simply don't think that SMI should be banned for any reason because nothing about it has proven broken, if you can't understand that then it's whatever. Also, how am I being a troll? Because I disagree with you on SMI's legality? Yet you're the one throwing insults out like a 12 year old, and somehow I'm the troll? Take a long look in the mirror.

Empy

Smash Ace
Port Town Aero Dive is debatable. The fact that it can kill you more than your opponent is a big conscern. People get killed be vehicles fast and at low damage, the platform can easily leave you behind and kill you, and there's that one wall of doom that never fails to hit me. I do agree with it being a counter pick regardless due to the fact that it is still very possible to have an even match, because the wall is perfectly visible, the cars are usually visible before being close enough to hit you, and there's always a warning before the platform takes off.
Well getting hit into the cars is no fun experience, also, even though that wall is visible, it does KO and on a small stage like this it could be a problem.

I still have a bit of debate towards Spear Pillar being banned. The stage is perfectly playable. I say counterpick. Dialga poses little threat due to the fact that his only offensives are very visible ahead of time. Cressalia has more definate hazards but once again are easy to see. Palkia is the one where everyone runs and hides. Palkia's little screen spin trick does gett annoying, but the game is still playable (maybe because im a Sonic player and they tend to mess with the cameras in a few levels), and is very temporary.
Pausing time, reversing controls, teching in the lower part of the stage and Palkia's spin trick all add up. This is on top of the beams that, even though you can see them coming, still take 33% of the playable stage away.

Lion just plain sucks (much like the actual Game and Watch game Lion), but it seems to usually slow down the pace of combat so players don't tend to get screwed by the tamers all that often. I understand there's good reason to want to get rid of this stage, and if an informed consensus is made concluding that, I could accept and understand it. I hope what I've posted lets people understand how this course actually works as a lot of people seem to have various misunderstandings about the mechanics, and I hope people can reach informed opinions.
Well the thing is, Lion really can't be avoided, it just goes there at random and can do so more then once in the same match. Also, throwing someone into a tamer is not that hard and they will be stuck there, just having the damage rack up and maybe even get KO'd.

Now I don't think Lion would be playable just because the game pace tends to slow down, as this won't really happen on high level of play.

Snip just means that I shorten the quote to take up less place, thats very common on forum boards, it has nothing to do with being cool, welcome to the internet. Spouting off insults doesn't help when you're trying to call someone else an idiot. I simply don't think that SMI should be banned for any reason because nothing about it has proven broken, if you can't understand that then it's whatever. Also, how am I being a troll? Because I disagree with you on SMI's legality? Yet you're the one throwing insults out like a 12 year old, and somehow I'm the troll? Take a long look in the mirror.
Well then don't quote me at all or just say "@Empy" as your not quoting any text anyway. Also, you don't reply to any of the text that would've been inside the quote. The way I quoted you is a highly used way as well so I guess welcome to the internet to you too.

Anyway, you think SMI shouldn't be banned because nothing has proven it broken, but what about the tech-fest going on in there? You do ban stages for infinite stalling, well this is an infinite tech-fest. Also, the walls won't break because of people getting hit into them and when having your opponent at high %, it would be stupid to attack the walls as they can then attack you, to make you lose the advantage you've fought for. The fact that DDD owns this stage is just part of the reasons, even though it seems enough for the BackRoom right now:

No, it'd be banned because Dedede can get a free kill.
Also, I called you a troll because you keep quoting the same list trying to get attention towards it, when I've already gone into it and some points are really made clear. Like Mushroomy Kingdom, is there any reason not to ban this stage? Everyone here seems to agree it should be banned.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Well then don't quote me at all or just say "@Empy" as your not quoting any text anyway. Also, you don't reply to any of the text that would've been inside the quote. The way I quoted you is a highly used way as well so I guess welcome to the internet to you too.

Anyway, you think SMI shouldn't be banned because nothing has proven it broken, but what about the tech-fest going on in there? You do ban stages for infinite stalling, well this is an infinite tech-fest. Also, the walls won't break because of people getting hit into them and when having your opponent at high %, it would be stupid to attack the walls as they can then attack you, to make you lose the advantage you've fought for. The fact that DDD owns this stage is just part of the reasons, even though it seems enough for the BackRoom right now:
I don't see why you're getting your panties in a bunch over how I quote you, stop worrying over trivialities. And if you think SMI is a big tech fest, then how bout you start using vertical kills. Can't tech off any walls if you're going straight up. And didn't I just make like five different posts explaining how DDD does not own that stage?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Personally I think we should do away with the horrible misnomer "neutral" to refer to available initial stages of the set. Some other word should be used to refer to them. "Standards" or something, I dunno.

Also, in regards to Corner-Trap's method of stage selection for the first stage, I definitely cannot take credit for the idea but I was as far as I know the first TO to use this rule in a 100+ man tournament, which took place in Norcal late last year. The reason I tell you this is to let you know that the rule met with almost unanimous praise and approval, and I would LOVE to see it become the standard. I'd also love to hear of an earlier tourney that used it so I can figure out where it came from. I personally got the idea from a post of M3D's in the SBR last October, but he also claimed not to know who to give the credit of the idea to.

About stage legality:

Imbalance is not the ONLY reason to ban a stage. I definitely agree with the "innocent until proven guilty" method as far as banning stages for BALANCE reasons (personally I don't think at this point in the metagame ANY bans should be made on balance grounds, since we haven't had any time to develop counters to ostensibly "broken" things), but this is not the whole story. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've read most of the last few pages and the entire discussion seems to be revolving around 'brokenness.' So what are the other reasons to ban a stage? Note that nearly all of these reasons contain subjective language.

-Randomness. Randomness generally actually has no effect on BALANCE, if the random effect is equally likely/beneficial/harmful to either player on average. Randomness is usually banned because it causes a variance in the results. Mathematically speaking, it doesn't shift the mean (expected outcome), it increases the standard deviation (the average deviation from the expected outcome). Many "neutral" stages already have some element of randomness in them. DL64 in Melee had practically random wind because of Whispy Woods, but obviously it wasn't banned, because the effect of the randomness was so small. The wind on DL64 CAN and HAS affected outcomes of matches. I was once, as a sleeping Jigglypuff, saved from a charged Marth fsmash tipper that surely would have killed me because of opportune wind, and instead he hit me with the middle part (I was at the edge and he slid towards me since I couldn't move any further), and I ended up winning the match (this wasn't tournament btw). I'm sure that others have had some experience like this, but we don't cry that DL64 should be banned due to randomness. So one can't just blurt out "RANDOM" and have that be the entire reasoning for banning a stage. It must be shown that the randomness can affect a match to a large degree beyond either player's control. I could easily write a post twice as long as this one on JUST randomness, and I plan to sometime, but let's just leave it at this for now (Just some food for thought is that randomness is not only NOT bad, but absolutely essential to some games, like Monopoly or Settlers of Catan. Before you say Monopoly isn't competitive, I'll tell you that the most money given out to a Monopoly champion dwarfs that given to a Smash player).

-Stalling or otherwise making the game unplayable. Not too much needs to be said here. If you can play hit and run for 8 minutes and win reliably, or rather, if that is clearly the dominant tactic on a stage, then it should be banned.

-Because it changes the game too much. Really you could say that all of the above, Balance, Randomness, and Stalling are just subsets of this idea. To give you an idea of what I mean, consider Hyrule Temple, but without the possibility of lasering once (or whatever) and then running for 8 minutes, and removing the camping aspect of it. It would STILL be unacceptable for tournament play, because play on it would degenerate into a game of the Cave of Life. That is not to say that it isn't a legitimate "game," because it is, but it is so wildly different from Smash on any other stage that it almost ceases to become "Smash." What defines a game but what skills are tested? The Cave of Life simply tests a skillset that is intrinsically different from the rest of them, and for this reason it is banned. 75m for all we know could be the MOST balanced stage in the game. But it must be banned by this criterion.

Anyhow the reason I really wanted to make these points is that a lot of these arguments for banning some stages that seem to be grasping at straws is that they're trying to fit their arguments just within the "balance" framework, when I think what they really feel is something different (like it changing the game) and just trying to hopelessly word it into a balance issue. And I think it's because the discussion has all been "prove it's broken or we don't ban it," which is a false dichotomy I'm trying to dispel in my post.

So a couple of my opinions on the latest stage list posted. Naturally they are all complaints since nobody is ever nice and says good job on what people got right:

-Shadow Moses is fine. It is in all likelihood one of the less balanced stages, but Onett in Melee was WAY worse, and didn't get banned for a long time. We should be open-minded about it. The fact that it has walls probably means that it's not balanced, but that doesn't mean it's sufficiently imbalanced to warrant a ban. I won't support a stage ban on Shadow Moses until I see people getting auto-wins on it.

-Corneria. I'd really, really like to see it banned, as I tried to get to happen in Melee, but I'm willing to put up with it for a while since Brawl could introduce something new to it. The camp potential is just horrible, and it's gravely imbalanced towards upkills.

-Green Greens. Same story as Corneria but worse, in fact I'm ready to ban it now. The randomness introduced by the falling blocks and the bomb blocks is just too much in combination with everything else. Camping and balance are atrocious.

-Onett. Same again as Corneria. The cars are a lot less powerful it seems.

-Yoshi's Island Melee (Pipes). What a horrible stage. I personally think it's too different from other stages in how terribly it stunts approaches and that it should be banned. I know people will disagree with that though so I can't say I'm 100% about it.

-Jungle Japes. Dear God why did they only bring the stupid Melee stages back? Towards the end of Melee, people were realizing that there were a lot of balance problems with this stage. I don't expect it will take very long in Brawl. Also the Klaptrap is horrible. It's a whole stock off at any %. I guess it's appropriate to leave it on counterpick, but I don't think anyone will miss it.

-Distant Planet. I just really hate this stage, and I don't know a single person that enjoys it. That's all I wanted to say.

-Pictochat. See Randomness and changes the game too much.

-Port Town. I really, really, really dislike the cars. Is avoiding the cars and learning their patterns skill? Sure. But is that really wnat we want to judge tournaments on? And it's not like the cars in Mute City, which had ample warning and were incorporated into the skill of the stage well. These cars just come and kill you at 60%. If they killed you at a much higher % maybe, but the cars are just too big of a part of the stage.

-Luigi's Mansion. This stage is really fun. But Cave of Life applies, I think it can be banned.

-Pirate Ship. Another fun stage (to me), I think it's alright in counterpick, but I don't anticipate it staying there long.

The rest looks fine. If a tourney wanted two more "neutrals" I would recommend Delfino Plaza and Halberd.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
-Port Town. I really, really, really dislike the cars. Is avoiding the cars and learning their patterns skill? Sure. But is that really wnat we want to judge tournaments on? And it's not like the cars in Mute City, which had ample warning and were incorporated into the skill of the stage well. These cars just come and kill you at 60%. If they killed you at a much higher % maybe, but the cars are just too big of a part of the stage.
I agree. most low rise platforms in the stage do not help at all. I still got sent flying straight up standing on those platforms.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
HyugaRicdeau

I'd like to do away with the word neutral also, since people constantly misinterpret the meaning. I propose renaming them starter stages, or something along those lines. I'm not sure where exactly I got the strike out system from to choose first stages. We were having a discussion on SRK for Brawl at Evo and the topic of revamping the stage/character selection came up and people started supporting the strike out system. Randomness and stalling are the only two means I have used for banning any stages as of now. Banning stages on accounts of imbalance seems impractical at this moment considering we don't know what is broken and what is not. I disagree with you on banning stages that change the game too much. Stages like Rainbow Cruise and Poke Floats were allowed in Melee and arguably changed the game play from the standard norm. I honestly enjoyed the fact that those stages were allowed since it did test a different set of skills.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Corner trap has my approval.
Unless the stage has the potential to turn the game frmo a test of skill to a test of who gets l;ucky first, then it shouldn't be banned.

Since rainbow cruise was allowed this would mean that super mario 1 woul d be allowed though only the first part since i imagine that people would dislike the underground.
meh just U tilt them to death.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I'd like to do away with the word neutral also, since people constantly misinterpret the meaning. I propose renaming them starter stages, or something along those lines. I'm not sure where exactly I got the strike out system from to choose first stages. We were having a discussion on SRK for Brawl at Evo and the topic of revamping the stage/character selection came up and people started supporting the strike out system. Randomness and stalling are the only two means I have used for banning any stages as of now. Banning stages on accounts of imbalance seems impractical at this moment considering we don't know what is broken and what is not. I disagree with you on banning stages that change the game too much. Stages like Rainbow Cruise and Poke Floats were allowed in Melee and arguably changed the game play from the standard norm. I honestly enjoyed the fact that those stages were allowed since it did test a different set of skills.
I proposed the strikeout method (which I would like to call something else, too, I think it should be called something that can't be confused with just regular stage bans from the sound of it) in the items thread on SRK, but it's unlikely that I was the first person to talk about it there.

Regarding changing the game too much, well like I said, I think balance/randomness/stalling are just special cases of changing the game. Example, in the case of stalling it changes the game in a way such that stalling and running away for 8 minutes is the undisputed dominant tactic on the stage. It is a legitimate game but we don't play it because we don't care about how well people can stall for 8 minutes. As for Rainbow Cruise, Poke Floats, etc., well it all comes down to how much is too much. Even at the end in Melee there were and still are people who genuinely think RC and PF DO change the game too much. They do indeed test a different set of skills, but we have to ask how much do we care about those skills in the context of Smash? Personally I like RC and PF as I think maneuvering around the stage is a worthwhile skill, the stage moves in a deterministic non random pattern, and you aren't actively 'fighting the stage' much at all, unlike say Port Town. In my Hyrule example, surviving the Cave of Life is a skill, but whereas moving around a stage is arguably fundamental in Smash, teching walls at arbitrary % is not.

I think what we need to do is instead of having ONE list, have two lists that represent each extreme that we are willing to put up with. After all by these standards, a tournament like OC3 would have had a ruleset that would be strongly disapproved by a list such as this (though I don't necessarily mean that we should augment our ruleset to retroactively legitimize large tourney rulesets). I think it's unreasonable to have a nationwide single standard list. The fact is that the Midwest traditionally plays on a wider variety of stages, where the East Coast prefers a smaller set of stages, for example, and all regions have their own tendencies. We should have a maximum and a minimum and say "pick anywhere in between these two." I mean what are we trying to accomplish with this list? To give something to TO's that need guidance. Incidentally, the reason I came and posted here is that a local tourney series where I live decided to adopt this stage set and I find it disagreeable.

Since rainbow cruise was allowed this would mean that super mario 1 woul d be allowed though only the first part since i imagine that people would dislike the underground.
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1...I actually kind of like. I'd be OK with this on counterpick. The fact that the person that starts to the left is already at a disadvantage is troubling though.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
The only thing to decide is what is considered too much of a change from the standard gameplay. Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, and Yoshi's Island(Brawl version) are the indisputable best stages for starters. Stages that obviously need to be banned at the outset is New Pork City, Hyrule Temple, and WarioWare Inc. Only thing left to decide is whether the remaining stages should either be counterpick or banned. Obviously if we find any other stages that are too random, or allow for infinite stalling then they should be banned.

EDIT:

I'd also like to take this time to reinforce the point that a stages hazards should be acceptable as long as they're fairly predictable.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
Hanenbow should be counterpick. i dont see how people can talk about making pirate ship, frigate orpheon and mushroomy kingdom legal and banning hanenbow.

think about it. its essentially battlefield with more platforms that happen to be mobile. im trying to think of characters it favors but none come to mind. discuss.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Should Final Destination be counter-pick? Because if you are Ike, Ganondorf, Wario, or Donkey Kong, the match could be a tad harder if you are facing a Falco, Fox, Ice Climbers, or Pit.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
[...]
Stages like Rainbow Cruise and Poke Floats were allowed in Melee and arguably changed the game play from the standard norm. I honestly enjoyed the fact that those stages were allowed since it did test a different set of skills.
They were allowed as a counterpick(and at various tournaments, Rainbow Cruise was a doubles random) because they follow a set path and discourage camping/mass projectile spamming as a whole. They also had a substantial lack of stage hazards, other than just standing around too long and KOing yourself (although teching poorly on Poke Floats could kill you in some locations, too).

.. maybe that's just my experience though.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Water and monster mostly, plus there's really no area on the map to fight legitimately. It has no place in a tournament match. Way too gimmicky.

Rumble Falls is definitely illegal too.
Alright... No

-If you get eaten by the bulborb either you suck, or you deserved it for being a *******. Klaptraps in Japes killed in one hit, and they were easier to get hit by.

-Plus, the water does nothing, really. Other than discourage camping (Or prevent it)

-It's walkoff, yeah, but unlike in Melee, slant =/= death, cause DeDeDe can't CG up it.

-Pellets do less than the apples in green greens.

-Distant Planet. I just really hate this stage, and I don't know a single person that enjoys it. That's all I wanted to say.
I love it. the edge layout makes recovery interesting, and if they guard one you can still easily go for the other. you can come up through the bottom of the stage usually, it's just a fun stage and It's one of my favourite counterpicks, because the lowering platforms are easy for me to work with.

No way it should be banned.

Empy

Smash Ace
[...]And if you think SMI is a big tech fest, then how bout you start using vertical kills. Can't tech off any walls if you're going straight up. And didn't I just make like five different posts explaining how DDD does not own that stage?
Well that's the whole problem, people will just fairly close to the wall. And really, there are very few moves that KO straight up enough on that stage, to unable you to DI towards the walls. DIing is not hard, certainly not in Brawl. Any reasonable player should be able to pull it off for way, way too long, not only stalling the game, but damaging the opponent with jabs, short fast moves, w/e just to rack up his damage for the next life. Meaning you can "stall" an advantage, just like hyrule etc..

Personally I think we should do away with the horrible misnomer "neutral" to refer to available initial stages of the set. Some other word should be used to refer to them. "Standards" or something, I dunno.

Also, in regards to Corner-Trap's method of stage selection for the first stage, I definitely cannot take credit for the idea but I was as far as I know the first TO to use this rule in a 100+ man tournament, which took place in Norcal late last year.
Try to run it past the mods or some BRoomer then. The problem with this thread is that we can't decide on anything, the BRoom has the final call, so.

About stage legality:

[...]

-Randomness. [...]

-Stalling or otherwise making the game unplayable. Not too much needs to be said here. If you can play hit and run for 8 minutes and win reliably, or rather, if that is clearly the dominant tactic on a stage, then it should be banned.

-Because it changes the game too much. [...] That is not to say that it isn't a legitimate "game," because it is, but it is so wildly different from Smash on any other stage that it almost ceases to become "Smash." What defines a game but what skills are tested? The Cave of Life simply tests a skillset that is intrinsically different from the rest of them, and for this reason it is banned. 75m for all we know could be the MOST balanced stage in the game. But it must be banned by this criterion.
I see your point here, the thing is, this has been going on since the start of this thread. However, giving it this many reasons could over-complicate things. I have been trying to ban SMI for quite a while now, just like Skyworld (but SMI more). SMI has both the imbalance (DDD, whether free kill or not, def. imbalance), the stalling and the fact that it changes the game too much. I really think a match played on SMI will have few to do with Smash, if someone is willingly abusing the stage.

[...]And I think it's because the discussion has all been "prove it's broken or we don't ban it," which is a false dichotomy I'm trying to dispel in my post.
Yeah this has been annoying the cr@p out of me, I really can't get any point across and no1 actually replies to points about a stage, they just go on and on about one little thing and then keep saying there might be ways to avoid it.

So a couple of my opinions on the latest stage list posted. Naturally they are all complaints since nobody is ever nice and says good job on what people got right:

-Shadow Moses is fine. It is in all likelihood one of the less balanced stages, but Onett in Melee was WAY worse, and didn't get banned for a long time. We should be open-minded about it. The fact that it has walls probably means that it's not balanced, but that doesn't mean it's sufficiently imbalanced to warrant a ban. I won't support a stage ban on Shadow Moses until I see people getting auto-wins on it.
I'm assuming this the stage list I posted? It was the last so. Anyway, about SMI, I've listed the reasons many times, but let's do it once more, with feeling.

1) There is not just 1 wall, there is four of them, and they are on both sides really close to each other, they also run very high, meaning they are almost always in the way of your trajectory, even when unaltered with DI. This means you can just tech around. So let's say, 2 good players are on SMI, neither of them is DDD, one gets the first kill, after this, he just sticks to the wall and waits, the other player has to approach. He then just stands there waiting for a shieldgrab or defending with short jabs. He ignores possible lasers because they don't move him. All this is done to make sure the opponent gets as much possible damage when the next life starts, it is also to waste as many time as possible. Staying close to the walls ensures both the fact that you can't die as long as your below, DI should always be enough to get you to hit the wall. And that your opponent can't reach it, so yeah, more advantages. Basically, first kill = wins the match /= Smash.

2) King DDD. When near a wall, you can make your chain grab an infinite. This works great with the technique I described under 1). It doesn't actually need it though, you can do this from any point on this stage, right from the first life. What you do is work your way towards a wall with the CG and then turn it into an infinite. The CG can be assured by doing grab attacks to prevent the move from getting stale (note: you only need to do 1-2 grabs on this stage to reach a wall). Characters that stand no change this way, meaning it is actually a free kill are:

Lucas
Pit
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong
Ganondorf
Ness
Toon Link
Ivysaur
Ike
Captain Falcon
King Dedede
Snake
Marth
Peach
Wario
Sonic
Yoshi
R.O.B
Lucario
Wolf
Link
Charizard
Mario
Samus
Bowser
DK
Luigi

Luigi is the only one that can't be CG normally so he has to be grabbed near a wall. However, above 50% there is an infinite which does not require a wall for him so.

3) Stalling by running, using scare tactics. This basically involves choosing DDD or Fox and hitting with a Waddle Doo/Dee or Laser. After this, stay near the walls. People will fear you and it becomes a game of running from wall to wall (or just simply dropping down and jumping up), which can break any approach. /= Smash.

-Corneria. I'd really, really like to see it banned, as I tried to get to happen in Melee, but I'm willing to put up with it for a while since Brawl could introduce something new to it. The camp potential is just horrible, and it's gravely imbalanced towards upkills.
I agree on this one, I have played with it banned during Melee as well, great disadvantage towards the campers. However, a lot of campers back then were Fox users and they had the advantage on the up kill as well. This seems a lot less in Brawl, so it might be better in Brawl then in Melee. It at least deserves the chance, maybe just because is was such a great stage in 64. :p

-Green Greens. Same story as Corneria but worse, in fact I'm ready to ban it now. The randomness introduced by the falling blocks and the bomb blocks is just too much in combination with everything else. Camping and balance are atrocious.
Avoiding the bomb blocks isn't too hard really and they don't do that much. The apples can be annoying but still, it's indeed good for campers, however, destroying the blocks that aren't bomb blocks mostly takes away a lot of their tactics.

-Onett. Same again as Corneria. The cars are a lot less powerful it seems.
Yeah the cars are less annoying. I'm not sure what to think about this one, have to play is some more I guess.

-Yoshi's Island Melee (Pipes). What a horrible stage. I personally think it's too different from other stages in how terribly it stunts approaches and that it should be banned. I know people will disagree with that though so I can't say I'm 100% about it.
I thought so as well. However, BRoom seems to have it on counterpick right now, because Fox can't Usmash KO you at 40% anymore.

-Jungle Japes. Dear God why did they only bring the stupid Melee stages back? Towards the end of Melee, people were realizing that there were a lot of balance problems with this stage. I don't expect it will take very long in Brawl. Also the Klaptrap is horrible. It's a whole stock off at any %. I guess it's appropriate to leave it on counterpick, but I don't think anyone will miss it.
Sakurai was trying to be an @sshole. The klaptrap never manages to be a real problem to me though, just don't hang on edges without invincibility frames. Also, dropping down in the water keeps you safe from the guy, strange as it may sound.

Well there are people that enjoy it so.

-Pictochat. See Randomness and changes the game too much.
Nearly none of the changes are really big, mostly it's just an extra platform or something. I can't think of 1 drawing that would really be a problem.

-Port Town. I really, really, really dislike the cars. Is avoiding the cars and learning their patterns skill? Sure. But is that really want we want to judge tournaments on? And it's not like the cars in Mute City, which had ample warning and were incorporated into the skill of the stage well. These cars just come and kill you at 60%. If they killed you at a much higher % maybe, but the cars are just too big of a part of the stage.
Agreed, I had this bolded for discussion, I want to move it to banned asap, really.

-Luigi's Mansion. This stage is really fun. But Cave of Life applies, I think it can be banned.
I think cave of life applies here way less then SMI. Also a lot of stuff blocks projectiles, which makes camping a bit harder. The stage won't rebuild until the last part is destroyed btw, which could also be a +.

-Pirate Ship. Another fun stage (to me), I think it's alright in counterpick, but I don't anticipate it staying there long.

The rest looks fine. If a tourney wanted two more "neutrals" I would recommend Delfino Plaza and Halberd.
I would really advice against DP & Hal. as neutral, the stages that are neutral right now give plenty of variation to the gameplay.

HyugaRicdeau

I'd like to do away with the word neutral also, since people constantly misinterpret the meaning. I propose renaming them starter stages, or something along those lines.
Fine with me, not up to any of us though.

[...]I disagree with you on banning stages that change the game too much. Stages like Rainbow Cruise and Poke Floats were allowed in Melee and arguably changed the game play from the standard norm. I honestly enjoyed the fact that those stages were allowed since it did test a different set of skills.
Well I've been trying to tell you throughout this entire thread, this isn't a matter to what you (or random person #101) like to agree on or not, stages have and will be banned for this. If you can't deal with that fact, please don't interfere with the discussion by posting your list with all stages on counterpick again.

[...]
LOL.

[...]
Regarding changing the game too much, well like I said, I think balance/randomness/stalling are just special cases of changing the game. Example, in the case of stalling it changes the game in a way such that stalling and running away for 8 minutes is the undisputed dominant tactic on the stage. [...] Personally I like RC and PF as I think maneuvering around the stage is a worthwhile skill, the stage moves in a deterministic non random pattern, and you aren't actively 'fighting the stage' much at all.[...]
Very true this, stages have been banned because they tend to mess up the entire metagame developed by smashers. Maybe this is the best way to put it, stages that destroy the metagame (or like I said on my very first post in this thread, stages that **** everything they meet).

On RC & PF, they did just change the levels, RC was mostly just simple platforms. Neither of the stages had any real problems as long as you knew the course. There was nothing random about it. 2 people giving the same input on this stage twice in a row would result in the same match. If you did the same on, let's say Flat Zone 2, you could have 2 different winners.

I think what we need to do is instead of having ONE list, have two lists that represent each extreme that we are willing to put up with. After all by these standards, a tournament like OC3 would have had a ruleset that would be strongly disapproved by a list such as this (though I don't necessarily mean that we should augment our ruleset to retroactively legitimize large tourney rulesets). I think it's unreasonable to have a nationwide single standard list. The fact is that the Midwest traditionally plays on a wider variety of stages, where the East Coast prefers a smaller set of stages, for example, and all regions have their own tendencies. We should have a maximum and a minimum and say "pick anywhere in between these two." I mean what are we trying to accomplish with this list? To give something to TO's that need guidance. Incidentally, the reason I came and posted here is that a local tourney series where I live decided to adopt this stage set and I find it disagreeable.
Please, don't start about making 2 lists, that would only make it more confusing for everyone. Right now, this thread is meant to think about what the BRoom list will look like. Maybe some of the BRoomers will look here to see what our list looks like and take it into account, maybe not, but guiding TO's or deciding or having more then 1 list is really their job and not ours.

[...]Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1...I actually kind of like. I'd be OK with this on counterpick. The fact that the person that starts to the left is already at a disadvantage is troubling though.
This won't work. You get 1-2 at random and pretty often, just leave it.
Edit: there is a way to get 1-1 each time on the Dojo.

The only thing to decide is what is considered too much of a change from the standard gameplay. Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, and Yoshi's Island(Brawl version) are the indisputable best stages for starters. Stages that obviously need to be banned at the outset is New Pork City, Hyrule Temple, and WarioWare Inc. Only thing left to decide is whether the remaining stages should either be counterpick or banned. Obviously if we find any other stages that are too random, or allow for infinite stalling then they should be banned.

EDIT:

I'd also like to take this time to reinforce the point that a stages hazards should be acceptable as long as they're fairly predictable.
Well I think we are a tad further than having just decided on those 3 as bans and the neutrals. And yes, stage hazards should be allowed, see Halberd.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
hink about it. its essentially battlefield with more platforms that happen to be mobile. im trying to think of characters it favors but none come to mind. discuss.
Chars whose recoveries do no damage/are tethers.

Lucario
Snake
ROB
Pit
-------
Ivysaur
Zamus
Olimar
I don't see how that's any real advantage/disadvantage. Tethers might find it a tad harder, but they can still grab the pointy edges easily.

I'll go through the rest of the comments after. Soo many posts in 4 days >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom