• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Scizor would be awesome.

Anyways, Mewtwo in the original R/B/Y was more like a secret boss, and didn't have all that much of a focus in the story. In the following games it was even less so. =/

Still, considering the fact that most Pokemon don't actually have much of a role due to their nature, its not really much of a point. The characters who are most involved in the the story are the actual trainers, and its somewhat hard to say if there will be another one of those.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is interesting because he is a specific character with a backstory, unlike most Pokemon.

It's the same with Lucario.

But I think most people like Mewtwo and Lucario for their attitudes more than their backstories.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Correction, only one Lucario has a backstory. In the games, he's in the same league as the other Pokemon. Mewtwo is the only one out of those in Smash that have a backstory.

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, haven't been on in two years and we're still discussing Meowth, you guys are funny.

But anyway, Lucario and Mewtwo were liked for thier backstory and personality like stated above, but i also think that the unique abilities that they had really worked with Melee and Brawl and that's why they were in. Well, that and the fans...

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Pokemon is one of the most discussed series in this thread. It is so big and popular that it is very hard to make assumptions about character choices and whatnot.

Aves

Smash Apprentice
GOLEM!

Heavy
Slow
Powerful

Neutral B: Rock Throw (Self explanitory)

Down B: Explosion (This may not work but something like Jigg's rest, but not as powerful, not as much after lag, but it damages Golem.)

Up B: Rock Slide: Like squirtles up B possibly? But maybe just one semi-powerful hitbox rather than lots of small hitboxes like squirtles.

Over B: Rollout! (Maybe a little slower than jiggs, but more powerful?

I haven't thought out any of the air tilt or smash moves, but you get the idea!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Exactly. Why do you guys think I still support Meowth for Smash after all these years? As long as Meowth remains relevant in the Pokemon media (movies, anime) and continues to get main roles in the Pokemon spin-off games (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games), I see no reason not to support him for Smash. At least I am not supporting a random Pokemon like, I don't know, Scizor or something. :p
i hated it when ppl were like heracross 4 brawl!

im like.... wtf? at least pic someone minutly realivant like deoxys or something?

UltraPuff

Smash Apprentice
Needs moar original Nintendo characters. (similar to how they surprised us with ROB)

and less pokemanz

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
It is so big and popular that it is very hard to make assumptions about character choices and whatnot.
not really; It's actually very easy If you throw out bias, the whole gen stuff, arc's magical ability to think meowth will get his spot off of jiggs etc and just take into factor more of past events and the like, leading us to Pikachu, PT, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, and some new generation pokemon. Possibly one of the other's who's close in popularity/smash appearances/etc (Meowth, other generation trainer, etc) But the probability as of now stands low.

The real debate/discussion is for instance on how many "Slots" Pokemon will have, or who will get in there. As in the past, It's shown to have problems with time restraints and dealing with the pokemon co.

It's just that unlike other series, It's not completely obvious who to pick. Like with DK, most here obviously know who's next, so It's just a factor on discussing If they should get in/chances/programming issues/potato

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
not really; It's actually very easy If you throw out bias, the whole gen stuff, arc's magical ability to think meowth will get his spot off of jiggs etc and just take into factor more of past events and the like, leading us to Pikachu, PT, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, and some new generation pokemon. Possibly one of the other's who's close in popularity/smash appearances/etc (Meowth, other generation trainer, etc) But the probability as of now stands low.

The real debate/discussion is for instance on how many "Slots" Pokemon will have, or who will get in there. As in the past, It's shown to have problems with time restraints and dealing with the pokemon co.

It's just that unlike other series, It's not completely obvious who to pick. Like with DK, most here obviously know who's next, so It's just a factor on discussing If they should get in/chances/programming issues/potato
its nearly impossible to guess whos gonna get in because i mean the 5th gen could and probably is right around the corner. not to mention pkmn ranger has its third game coming out soo play as a pkmn ranger is just as likely as playing as a 5th gen. all we can really guess with any acuracy is who will be returning?
i personally expect the pkmn slots to be filled with:
pika: duh
jiggs: just as duh
pt: becausa he REALLY is the main character of pkmn. maybe it will be a second gen trainer tho?
as for mewtwo i fully expect him back, irregaurdless if lucario stays.
then maybe one, or two if lucario doesnt return, new characters.

i would love to be the new pkmn ranger w/ ukalele pichu :3 i would expect the female ranger. who unlike pt fights along with the pkmn maybe?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
the 5th gen
some new generation pokemon.
Which is the main thing you were saying.

You know, how do we even know It'll be the 5th gen by Smash 4? How could it not be, say, the 6th? 3rd never was represented in any smash game with a playable able character.

But to draw it out for all those who don't want to read a wall of text of possible characters;
-Pikachu
-Mewtwo
-Jigglypuff
-Pokemon Trainer
-Lucario
-New Generation Pokemon - This could be the 5th generation, the 6th generation...Eh...Anything
-(Less likely than the others but still a bit plausible of discussion) - Meowth/New Pokemon Trainer/Other stand-out ideas

As it stands, It's pretty much that until further notice. It's just who will be in of those and who won't be, which we have no true way to know how the Pokemon Co thinks on this asides from past choices.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
personally i would love pkmn ranger :) most of the newer trainers are in the anime and i really want ssb4 and anime seperate.

who do you think wont be back in ssb4?
i could only think of rob or lucario really...
i think olimar will stay, along w/ snake and zss.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
ROB will be back. He was a wild card, so if Sakurai liked him enough to put him in Brawl he will probably put him in again. I think Sakurai doesn't like taking out characters, aand there are no real 'pointless characters' (Doctor Mario, Pichu) to take out. Mewtwo almost got in so I have hope for all to return.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
ROB will be back. He was a wild card, so if Sakurai liked him enough to put him in Brawl he will probably put him in again. I think Sakurai doesn't like taking out characters, aand there are no real 'pointless characters' (Doctor Mario, Pichu) to take out. Mewtwo almost got in so I have hope for all to return.
i loved pichu, but really i lose soo much more as him. if hes chosen to rep hg/ss then they must fix him up! i dont want a weaker version of pikachu. personally if anyone reps hg/ss it should be notch eared pichu, suicune, or silver.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
RoB wont leave becuase he was one of the first characters programed in, evident by how early he appears in the SSE. SO i doubt they would get rid of him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hope Pichu won't come back in SSB4 because of HeartGold/SoulSilver. That was the worst clone. I would rather see Gold and the 2nd gen starters replace Red and the 1st gen starters as the new Pokemon Trainer than see Pichu come back.

Whose decision was it to keep Pikachu and Jigglypuff? Whose decision was it to remove Mewtwo and Pichu? Whose decision was it to add Pokemon Trainer and Lucario? Sakurai or the Pokemon Company? Why or why not? That's what I am wondering.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I hope Pichu won't come back in SSB4 because of HeartGold/SoulSilver. That was the worst clone. I would rather see Gold and the 2nd gen starters replace Red and the 1st gen starters as the new Pokemon Trainer than see Pichu come back.
Yeah I rather see the 2 nd gen starters. However Pichu really is gaining a lot of attention now. Aside from HG/SS, he also appears as the "Ukelele Pichu" in the new Pokemon Ranger game as the partner pokemon! :0

http://www.giantbomb.com/pokemon/62-452/pokemon-ranger-path-of-light-screens/35-383257/

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

UberMario

Smash Master
What if the lost characters had these movesets to de-clone them?

Dr.Mario (Playstyle: Up close and personal)
--------
B:pill (Random effects: poison, shield stun, sleep, slow down, speed up, or heal 20% foe (to counter the usefulness of shield stun and sleep))
>B:Stethescope (Used like Shiek's chain)
^B:Mach Punch (Throws a needle upward and then jumps)
vB:Defribrillator (Shocks a nearby opponent, high knockback and end lag)

Final Smash: Ambulance (Think of Ganon's FS, but nearby opponents get sucked into the back of the ambulance)

Mewtwo (Playstyle: Camp)
------
B:Shadow Ball (Same as in Melee, except that it leaves a poison effect temporarily)
>B:Confusion (Uses psychic power to hurl the opponent, much stronger than in Melee and can defy shields)
^B:Teleport (Warps, but appears in an explosion)
vB:Will-o-Wisp (Shoots a series of small homing fireballs that do not cause knockback, but cause 10% each)

Final Smash: Hidden Power (causes a supernova that has vacuum effects, ohko for nearby opponents)

Pichu (Playstyle: Mindgame)
-----
B:Charm (Winks, causing the opponents moves to stale if nearby)
>B:Thunder Wave (Paralyzes nearby opponents, 1% per second of use to the user)
^B:Double Team (Many images of the Pichu appear in a circular formation, control stick direction determines actual location)
vB:Flash (Causes opponent to trip)

Final Smash: Shockwave (Think of Zapdos from Melee but with more damage and range)

Roy (Playstyle: Mid-range Duelist)
---
B:Flare Blade (Melee)
>B:Cleave (Jumps forwardquickly forward with a downward slash)
^B:Blazer (Can be "charged" to stall in mid-air for an edge mindgame)
vB:Ember Assault (Swings a flaming sword in both direction, serving as a combo move or a defense against projectiles)

Final Smash: Firestorm (Creates a flaming tornado that can suck in opponents and multi-hits for six seconds.

Young Link (Playstyle: Stay Back)
----------
B:Bow (Shoots an arrow, but can be aimed in any direction including downwards)
>B:Grapple (Throws a grappling hook forward or upward, if an opponent is hit, they get slashed after being drawn in (can be used as a recovery aswell))
^B:Spinning Sword (Similar to Link's but covers less vertical ground and more horizontal ground)
vB:Mask (Various uses)

Final Smash: Fierce Deity Mask (Link becomes extremely powerful)

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
but wouldnt a pichu/female ranger team up be interesting?
I guess but I think seeing Pichu alone might be better. He does have viable options which could come from different games. I'd like to see him use something like Zap Cannon for his fs but a ranger idea seems rather trainer like...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Uber Mario
Pichu should just get rid of that self-damaging feature. The only time I can think of that it's ever used is in the anime. The games, IIRC, don't have this for him outside of Volt Tackle which is inherent of the move. I'm not quite sure how the specials you mentioned for him are mindgame typed moves.

Mewtwo just needs an overhaul to where he's good. I can't comment on yours.

Young Link is more or less unncessary considering that Toon Link is more or less him. If anything, Toon Link should have a model that lets you play as Young Link, complete with voice clips.
Well sorry lord Kuma and sir Toise. But if we want to make wild speculation then we are entitled to.
Lord? My, I'm honored. I'm just annoyed with the same arguments going in rotation, especially the Pokemon one.

UberMario

Smash Master
@Uber Mario
I'm not quite sure how the specials you mentioned for him are mindgame typed moves.
Well the Double Team can confuse the other player and the other three moves cause properties that affect the status of the opponent, making them have to attack from a distance or risk having diminshed ko ability or being temporarily stunned.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, yes, my Lord. It is very annoying having to debate the Pokemon roster for SSB4 when everyone should be agreeing that only Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, and Mewtwo should be playable in SSB4. :rolleyes:

Should I post the universal roster again? Yes, I think so. So, here it is. The perfect roster for SSB4. This is playing it too safe so no one will be upset that their favorite character was removed even though they can always go back to the previous games and play those characters anyway. This is playing it too safe so no one will be upset that there were surprise additions similar to how Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and Marth did in Melee and how Pokemon Trainer, R.O.B., and Zero Suit Samus did in Brawl. This is playing it too safe so no one will be upset that there were no least popular characters added to the roster because Smash is only for the most popular characters.

MARIO
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Bowser Jr.

DONKEY KONG
6. Donkey Kong
7. Diddy Kong
8. King K. Rool

YOSHI
9. Yoshi

WARIO
10. Wario

ZELDA
11. Link
12. Zelda / Sheik
13. Ganondorf
14. Toon Link
15. Toon Zelda / Tetra

METROID
16. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
17. Ridley

KID ICARUS
18. Pit

ICE CLIMBER
19. Ice Climbers

PUNCH-OUT!!
20. Little Mac

KIRBY
21. Kirby
22. Meta Knight
23. King Dedede

F-ZERO
24. Captain Falcon
25. Samurai Goroh

STAR FOX
26. Fox
27. Falco
28. Wolf
29. Krystal

PIKMIN
30. Olimar

POKEMON
31. Pikachu
32. Pokemon Trainer
33. Lucario
34. Jigglypuff
35. Mewtwo

FIRE EMBLEM
36. Marth
37. Ike
38. Roy

MOTHER
39. Ness
40. Lucas

GAME & WATCH
41. Mr. Game & Watch

ROBOT
42. R.O.B.

METAL GEAR
43. Snake

SONIC
44. Sonic

MEGA MAN
45. Mega Man

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well the Double Team can confuse the other player and the other three moves cause properties that affect the status of the opponent, making them have to attack from a distance or risk having diminshed ko ability or being temporarily stunned.
Maybe I'm not visualizing it properly, but Double Team still doesn't seem like a mindgame type move based on your description.

The other moves are not really mindgame moves as these don't really confuse your opponent with what you're going to do next.

@Arcadenik
My knave, I'm just simply tired of the same debate regarding them. If we had something new outside of HG/SS like actual next gen Pokemon, it'd be one thing. I'm sure everyone here is tired of my wars with SmashChu.

And for that roster, who so ever decides to go with this roster shall be executed by guillotine! It is simply too boring.

/posh

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
that universal roster is lacking soo much pazazz! its just predictable, i want a few out there characters like geno or suicune. just i hope the doster isnt THAT predictable.

oh and bomberman should be there ^.^
hes one of my faves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom