• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Okay, about Animal Crossing characters. They should be in. The series is popular and has three games. City Folk is one of the most popular games out. The only real problem with putting AC characters in is that they don't fight.

But that doesn't matter. Dr. Mario didn't fight, and neither did Lip, a popular SSB4 candidate. Does that mean that their movesets were/will be terrible? No! AC characters can whack people with tools and look d*mn fine doing it.

And...

Again... I think I'll post that every page for people to realize:
SUPER SMASH BROS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A CANON GAME. IT IS MEANT TO BE A FUN GAME IN WHICH YOUR FAVOURITE NINTENDO CHARACTERS FIGHT EACH OTHER.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I also want to note that Tom Nook in one of the games says at a point that he was the champion of some fighting tournament.

justaway12

Smash Master
Okay, about Animal Crossing characters. They should be in. The series is popular and has three games. City Folk is one of the most popular games out. The only real problem with putting AC characters in is that they don't fight.

But that doesn't matter. Dr. Mario didn't fight, and neither did Lip, a popular SSB4 candidate. Does that mean that their movesets were/will be terrible? No! AC characters can whack people with tools and look d*mn fine doing it.

And...
:goomba: I edited my post as to why he wasn't in. :goomba:

:goomba: I <3 Tom Nook this is just what I saw in the interveiw....unfortunatly :goomba:

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
:goomba: Oh and Wizzerd I thought Waluigi was quite popular, I don't know where you got the idea that he was universially despised (sp?) :goomba:
Okay, he just isn't very popular. At all.

I also want to note that Tom Nook in one of the games says at a point that he was the champion of some fighting tournament.
Really? I know that he says something about the "Nookmobile" once.
Nookmobile for SSB4!

Mit

Smash Ace
How about one of the following reasons?

Sakurai didn't know Ridley was so popular and wanted for a playable character spot (he didn't know about Krystal at all until people posted her as suggestion for Brawl on his blog, so it is possible he doesn't know everything).

Sakurai knew about Ridley being wanted, but thought the roster was big enough as it is and decided to give him 2 boss roles instead in the SSE (I hate ROB haters btw).

Sakurai thought Ridley was a good boss for his story.

Sakurai didn't consider Ridley being playable because he couldn't think of a proper moveset.

Sakurai thought Ridley would be hard to implement as playable character due to the changes of properties they would have to give him. This can include size, but also many other things.

Just a few possibilities OTHER than "HE IZ 2 BIG LULZ STFU U NUBS"
lol @ "I hate ROB haters btw". I certainly hope you don't mean me, because all I said was Ridley is a more important character than ROB in Nintendo history. I just drew a picture of the character for DWYP for crying out loud.

And yes, good, those are also quite possibly valid reasons, although, I don't see why you argue my reasons so heavily. I could take half of your guys' arguments and apply them to all of your reasons, mainly, "IF HE WANTS HIM 2 B IN HE CAN MAKE IT WURK." And, "IF HE MAED CHARICTERS LIEK OLIMAR AND ROB WORK RIDLEY CAN TOO." And those arguments would actually apply. And I do believe one of you have stated fans have been clamoring for Ridley since Melee, he's probably heard the outcry and considered him as a character, but due to your last stated reason, which is pretty much the same as my reasoning, he likely decided against it, deeming him more suitable as a boss character, making that, IMO, the most likely reason why we don't have Ridley as a playable character, and probably never will, and I happen to agree with that reasoning as well.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@Mit:
Your opinion. You think he's too big, I think he isn't. Noone will move from their viewpoints. It has no sense. Some tea?

@Wizzerd:
He says "Show me your moves"

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Wizzerd: I didn't say Animal Crosser can't fight. With all the stuff they use they probably wouldn't be bad at it. I'm saying that the people are supposed to be calm happy people. Taking them and then putting them in brawl where they have to beat up everything from a turtle to what looks pink marshmallow? They would never be the same.

It's like taking a pacifist and forcing them to kill 100 people. Animal Crossers would never be the same.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Wizzerd: I didn't say Animal Crosser can't fight. With all the stuff they use they probably wouldn't be bad at it. I'm saying that the people are supposed to be calm happy people. Taking them and then putting them in brawl where they have to beat up everything from a turtle to what looks pink marshmallow? They would never be the same.

It's like taking a pacifist and forcing them to kill 100 people. Animal Crossers would never be the same.
Don't you want some tea and a scone?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Since when is anyone too big or small for smash bros., anyway? I mean, the too [size] argument was thrown down the crapper when Melee came out.

It's like hypocracy and ill logic are actual weapons, and Ridley is the ONLY character who is too big...despite being dwarfed by Bowser, and in his first appearence...compared to Samus...about the same size as Ganondorf.

And another thing, who decided that Bowser had to be the biggest character in the game forever? If Ridley were a tiny bit bigger than bowser, I wouldn't care at ALL.

Spadefox, thank you for defending ROB. I would have, but I wasn't reading. :bee:

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Since when is anyone too big or small for smash bros., anyway? I mean, the too [size] argument was thrown down the crapper when Melee came out.

It's like hypocracy and ill logic are actual weapons, and Ridley is the ONLY character who is too big...despite being dwarfed by Bowser, and in his first appearence...compared to Samus...about the same size as Ganondorf.

And another thing, who decided that Bowser had to be the biggest character in the game forever? If Ridley were a tiny bit bigger than bowser, I wouldn't care at ALL.

Spadefox, thank you for defending ROB. I would have, but I wasn't reading. :bee:
True. Bowser and Charizard were almost brought down to 3/4 their debut size. Also, if you look back to the opening CG of Melee, you will realize that Samus was fighting a Ridley almost the same size as her, but with the long wing span.

This argument is old, guys. Gawd....

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You didn't say anything new. Read the last like 4 pages and find your point and find my counter to it.
Saying that when he's hunched over his height is the same as Bowser's, therefore he isn't too big, is nonsense.

Do you see how huge he is? And rightfully so. Just because he can stoop to be as low as Bowser doesn't change that he's still roughly 3x his size. Again, if they were to ever do another Metroid character, I think it would be Dark Samus, or no one else at all. Although when you think about it, their form of further Metroid support was probably Zero Suit Samus.
Get your eye's checked dude, Lucario is about 75%-50% shorter. Also, Bowser is not Lucario. Why don't you use Bowser.

Yes, it's probably possible to put Ridley in, but if Sakurai wanted to, I think we'd be playing Ridley right now. I mean, an NES peripheral robot over Ridley? Really? Clearly he wasn't considering Ridley as a character, and I'm informing you all as to many possible reasons, the biggest being he wouldn't look right in such a small form next to Samus (or atleast not how they would want him to look).[/quote]
If your saying that now, then why did you just have a stupid argument for it.

The entire bases of your argument is stupid and holds no water. This is not a new argument; it is just one latched on to a new character.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
hoo boy time for a paragraph from ol' geebees(as im known amongst my fellow lucario mains xD)

i'm in the corner of Ridley being viable before i say anything else.

hey mit, what is it that makes you think Dark Samus is more important then Ridley? this i do not understand because Dark Samus was a part of a crisis that is now over and she will NEVER be back, ever. HOWEVER on that same subject i must point out that there are deceased characters in brawl: Ganondorf passed away in TP(the triforce of power left him, he is not coming back to life), the Lucario we have here in brawl is the one from the eighth movie, Lucario and the mystery of mew, who also passed away, yet here they are in super smash brothers brawl.... back on subject, Ridley has been with metroid since day 1, one, uno, une, you understand? Dark Samus has been in 2 games and yes was the main protagonist yet Ridley keeps coming back to be a huge part of the games he is in and you say things about this "new" ridley... while this is true, Meta Ridley and Ridley are the same creature as we found out in metroid prime 1 "revived and enhanced version of Ridley" Not only this but he is one of the Space Pirates leaders(if not their leader now in the absence of the Mother brain and Dark Samus) who i guarantee you will be in almost, if not every, metroid game that will ever be made until the trilogy ends(if it ever does) and you can keep a straight face and tell us that Ridley shouldnt NOT be a playable character in smash?? Bowser, probably 2 and a half times the size of Mario is here in smash and barely taller then him. Olimar and pikmin, smaller then most coins we have and yet here he is about the size of pikachu/jigglypuff and yet Ridley cannot be resized and look in place. Link reaches ganondorfs waist in all of the games he has been in(excluding WW because thats a smaller link) and here is link about up to his collar bone and apparently Ridley can't be rescaled. the sizes of pokemon have not changed from the moment they were created and pikachu can ride of the back of charizard with plenty of room to spare and now here in brawl charizard would run out of wing space if pikachu tried to ride him now and somehow, Ridley cannot be resized. and there's more, lets take pikachu and size him up to Lucario(who as seen in the movie is a little bit shorter then ash) and WOWZERS!!!

listen bro, most of your arguements are based on opinion and have no conrete facts to back them up. it's a very simple concept; don't make arguements if you dont have proof and/or facts to back it up!

oh yeah..

SMASH IS NOT MENT TO BE CANON TO ANY SERIES!!!! THEREFORE CHARACTERS CAN BE RESIZED AS NECESSARY!!!!!

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
hoo boy time for a paragraph from ol' geebees(as im known amongst my fellow lucario mains xD)

hey mit, what is it that makes you think Dark Samus is more important then Ridley? this i do not understand because Dark Samus was a part of a crisis that is now over and she will NEVER be back, ever. HOWEVER on that same subject i must point out that there are deceased characters in brawl: Ganondorf passed away in TP(the triforce of power left him, he is not coming back to life), the Lucario we have here in brawl is the one from the eighth movie, Lucario and the mystery of mew, who also passed away, yet here they are in super smash brothers brawl.... back on subject, Ridley has been with metroid since day 1, one, uno, une, you understand? Dark Samus has been in 2 games and yes was the main protagonist yet Ridley keeps coming back to be a huge part of the games he is in and you say things about this "new" ridley... while this is true, Meta Ridley and Ridley are the same creature as we found out in metroid prime 1 "revived and enhanced version of Ridley" Not only this but he is one of the Space Pirates leaders(if not their leader now in the absence of the Mother brain and Dark Samus) who i guarantee you will be in almost, if not every, metroid game that will ever be made until the trilogy ends(if it ever does) and you can keep a straight face and tell us that Ridley shouldnt NOT be a playable character in smash?? Bowser, probably 2 and a half times the size of Mario is here in smash and barely taller then him. Olimar and pikmin, smaller then most coins we have and yet here he is about the size of pikachu/jigglypuff and yet Ridley cannot be resized and look in place. Link reaches ganondorfs waist in all of the games he has been in(excluding WW because thats a smaller link) and here is link about up to his collar bone and apparently Ridley can't be rescaled. the sizes of pokemon have not changed from the moment they were created and pikachu can ride of the back of charizard with plenty of room to spare and now here in brawl charizard would run out of wing space if pikachu tried to ride him now and somehow, Ridley cannot be resized. and there's more, lets take pikachu and size him up to Lucario(who as seen in the movie is a little bit shorter then ash) and WOWZERS!!!

listen bro, most of your arguements are based on opinion and have no conrete facts to back them up. it's a very simple concept; don't make arguements if you dont have proof and/or facts to back it up!

oh yeah..

SMASH IS NOT MENT TO BE CANON TO ANY SERIES!!!! THEREFORE CHARACTERS CAN BE RESIZED AS NECESSARY!!!!!
I suggest using spacing and capitalization before I will read that. lolololol

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
dont know what your talking about, its spaced, its punctuated, and capitalized, get your eyes checked?
lol.

First off, I dont know WHO you are, but please dont speak to me like that when I was only joking. I never even mentioned punctuation either. Clearly you have missed the massive chunk of words in his post. My eyes are fine, thank you very much. ^_^

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
True. Bowser and Charizard were almost brought down to 3/4 their debut size.
Just... since I'm nit-picky about this, Charizard was actually grown substantially for Brawl, as were all the other Pokemon characters (except maybe Mewtwo). The Anime has him as WAAAAAY bigger than he should be, or Ash is tiny or something.

Yes, it's probably possible to put Ridley in, but if Sakurai wanted to, I think we'd be playing Ridley right now. I mean, an NES peripheral robot over Ridley? Really? Clearly he wasn't considering Ridley as a character, and I'm informing you all as to many possible reasons, the biggest being he wouldn't look right in such a small form next to Samus (or atleast not how they would want him to look).
This is probably true... Sakurai didn't quite understand, for whatever reason, that Ridley should have been playable and NO ONE counts the piece of fanservice called ZSS as a different, new Metroid character. Hopefully by now, however, he's gotten a clue, as at the VERY least Nintendo Power themselves requested Ridley to him in an interview. So... basically, the only REAL things standing in Ridley's way are Sakurai's bias (which has a tendency to FAIL) and the fact that he MIGHT look a bit awkward next to Samus if he was resized. The latter is probably not terribly valid as he was Samus' size in Melee's opening and looked fine to the point that many didn't even notice a problem.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace

oh yeah..

I think Mit is arguing that Nintendo won't put Ridley in, not that he's less important than Dark Samus. And I agree with C.Olimar788 on ZSS. She's really an unneeded redundancy designed to appeal to the young male fanbase (ie all of it). *puts on Cranky Kong clothes* Gosh darn it, back in the day we had to EARN our Zero Suit Samus pics! None of those weird interactive inappropriate 'Smash' games!

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
I have the same argument for every other character you post from other games that have been scaled. They look okay to be scaled, Ridley does not. You're talking a brick wall whenever you post more pictures. And did you even play Ocarina of Time? You just posted stylized artwork, Ganondorf was not nearly that large in the game. Am I being trolled?

And yes, fans want Ridley, but that doesn't change the reasoning for not making him a playable character. Also, Dark Samus is arguably a more important character these days than Ridley, playing lead antagonist in the last few games. IMO, a much more likely choice to actually be included as a playable character.
Nuff said. yes he said arguably, its still bringing up the idea of Dark Samus>Ridley to the series

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Woah, what's with saying R.O.B. was unimportant. He saved all of video games. Without him we wouldn't even have nintendo. It would have gone out of business.

I think Nintendo put Zero suit in because she is technically in all of the games. Villains are usually third on Sakurai's list. It also showed a lot of noobs that samus is a girl. I remember when i thought Samus was a guy.

And yeah, Zero suit is probably for the male fanbase.

But I have to say, At least metroid got ZSS.

Captain Falcon is still lonely.

gantrain05

Smash Master
F-zero doesn't need any other reps, to be completely honest, im surprised captain falcon actually got into a smash game, considering the type of game he came from.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Captain falcon is from a really good series. I remember how much I loved this on the 64. It was one of the few racing games i liked.

Mit

Smash Ace
Nuff said. yes he said arguably, its still bringing up the idea of Dark Samus>Ridley to the series
I said "these days", not overall. Clearly you stopped reading my posts once you hit that, I've already explained why I said that.

Other people arguing my Ridley points: keep reading the entire previous argument. People keep coming at me with the same stuff I've already responded to.

And yes he's saying "Show me yo moves" in my sig, I made it :3

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
F-zero doesn't need any other reps, to be completely honest, im surprised captain falcon actually got into a smash game, considering the type of game he came from.
Since when has the type of game mattered at all in Smash? You've got platformers (Mario), adventures (Metroid), space shooters (Star Fox), RPGs (Pokemon), strategy games (Fire Emblem), and the list goes on... why NOt have a popular character that happens to be from a racing game?

*puts on Cranky Kong clothes* Gosh darn it, back in the day we had to EARN our Zero Suit Samus pics! None of those weird interactive inappropriate 'Smash' games!
I am C.Olimar788, and I APPROVE this message!

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
F-Zero is highly comparable with Star Fox:
Both have characters normally never leaving their vehicles, big casts lacking personality, originated on the SNES, are in a futuristic setting, have the same amount of games and very similar sales.

Yet F-Zero has only one character, whereas Star Fox has 3.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Then you haven't read the comic in the original F-Zero's manual (Captain Falcon catches criminals) and haven't played F-Zero GX (several characters interact with each other, including fighting scenes).

A big part of F-Zero's cast are bounty hunters, soldiers, super heroes or super villains.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Then you haven't read the comic in the original F-Zero's manual (Captain Falcon catches criminals) and haven't played F-Zero GX (several characters interact with each other, including fighting scenes).

A big part of F-Zero's cast are bounty hunters, soldiers, super heroes or super villains.
i stopped following F-zero after the Snes release lol, it just got worse and worse after that.

KillxSmile

Smash Rookie
attack my roster?

1.Mario
2.Luigi
3.Peach
4.Bowser
5.Bowser Jr.
6.Paper Mario

7.Yoshi
8.Kamek

9.Donkey Kong
10.Diddy Kong
11.King K. Rool [I hate him, but whatever. As long as they make him less ugly]

12.Link
13.Toon Link
14.Zelda
15.Gannondorf
16.Midna [maybe... I doubt it's possibility]

17.Pikachu
18.Jigglypuff
19.Meowth
20.Mewtwo
21.Lucario

22.Fox
23.Falco
24.Wolf
25. Krystal [maybe]

26.Kirby
27.Meta Knight
28.King Dedede

29.Samus
30.Ridley [I think all those arguing against him are being really over dramatic and ridiculous about his size]

31.Wario

32.Marth
33.Ike
34.[one other]

35.Ice Climbers

36.Pit

37.Ness
38.Lucas

39.Mr. Game & Watch

40.Olimar

41.Captain Falcon
42.Samurai Goroh

43.Tom Nook

Plus, add about two 3rd parties, and a couple new franchise reps.
i don't mind whether one of those is Snake or not, but i'd really love it if Sonic wasn't in. i hate him so much and i don't know why. Personally, i'd prefer if 3rd parties weren't really in at all.

I think it might be interesting to have Imajin from Doki Doki Panic, i feel like his moveset would end up being horribly lazy though.

Another thing... imagine Whispy Woods!
It's a pretty terrible idea to say the least, but i was just trying to imagine how it could possibly work out. How he/she would fight, move, jump...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
i stopped following F-zero after the Snes release lol, it just got worse and worse after that.
?

I think F-Zero X is the best. F-Zero GX is great, too. Just because you don't like the series, it doesn't mean that they are bad, have no story or don't deserve more representation.

Really? I found F-Zero GX the best of them all for the GC. After that, it got worst.
I dunno, after GX were only 2 GBA releases, one Japan-only. And those 2 GBA games are better than Maximum Velocity. Granted, all 3 GBA games aren't that good, but alas. =P

Seriously, F-Zero has been - unlike Star Fox - on a very steady and linear course when it comes to gameplay, quality and such.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I really think that Samus should be able to use her power beam like she does in the games, not just firing on shot from time to time, but actually pumping everyone full of blasts. Also I think sh should be able to charge while running around, as long as you hold down b.

Diffusion missiles would be nice to, having two things to charge ^_^

And I want Megaman X and Zero to be in, they're awesome :D

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
I really think that Samus should be able to use her power beam like she does in the games, not just firing on shot from time to time, but actually pumping everyone full of blasts. Also I think sh should be able to charge while running around, as long as you hold down b.

Diffusion missiles would be nice to, having two things to charge ^_^

And I want Megaman X and Zero to be in, they're awesome :D
cool ideas but...

1) if Samus started using her arm cannon like she did in her games it would be unbalanced or be very weak and sakurai would get alot of hate mail...

2) yeah... but they would be unbalanced based on what they do in metroid fushion(which is the only game they are in)

3) hell yeah they should be in(4 guardians too!!)

not attacking your wishlist, just voicing my views on it.... we can all wish right?

which, spadefox, is part of the reason for my list of wanted characters =P

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
F-Zero is highly comparable with Star Fox:
Both have characters normally never leaving their vehicles, big casts lacking personality, originated on the SNES, are in a futuristic setting, have the same amount of games and very similar sales.

Yet F-Zero has only one character, whereas Star Fox has 3.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Starfox series have a much smaller cast and has a larger fanbase?

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
cool ideas but...

1) if Samus started using her arm cannon like she did in her games it would be unbalanced or be very weak and sakurai would get alot of hate mail...

2) yeah... but they would be unbalanced based on what they do in metroid fushion(which is the only game they are in)

3) hell yeah they should be in(4 guardians too!!)

not attacking your wishlist, just voicing my views on it.... we can all wish right?

which, spadefox, is part of the reason for my list of wanted characters =P
I like feedback, np.

Diffusion was just something I came up with while writing, but the powerbeam, I imagine something like fox only slower and the look of wavebeam or something like it.

Also, on megaman, the down b should be switch color to get different b-attacks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom