• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

n88

Smash Lord
A lot of people say that Toad should make it in before Bowser Jr., but I think Bowser Jr. would make a better fighter. Plus Bowser Jr. is infinitely better than the Koopalings.

I would like to see Fawful in SSB4. Very annoying, and he hasn't done much of anything, but he's too awesome to leave out.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I completely agree on the Bowser Jr. I think he is most likely mario addition. Another great one would be Kamek the Magikoopa.

Fawful.... that's like making tingle a playable character @_@ no thanks.

I'd like to see A Space Pirate or Chozo Warrior character.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I completely agree on the Bowser Jr. I think he is most likely mario addition. Another great one would be Kamek the Magikoopa.
Kamek would rather more represent the Yoshi series than the main Mario series, though. Or so I hope. As his role in the main Mario games was rather minor, but VERY major in the Yoshi games.

Fawful.... that's like making tingle a playable character @_@ no thanks.
I don't like Fawful too much, but I do think that Tingle has to be acknowledged as possiblity. He's very popular in Japan, even got 2 own games, and is the only recurring character besides of Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf) in the Zelda series. No character has that score other than Tingle.

Also, I love Tingle.

I'd like to see A Space Pirate or Chozo Warrior character.
The only Space Pirate who stands a slight chance is actually only Ridley. All other characters in the Metroid series are too minor. I'd also be a bit baffled if there would be a character named "Chozo Warrior" or any other generic enemy on the roster before the major main characters of their respective series.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
A generic character? We could never let that happen
*cough*pokemon trainer, pikachu, lucario, and jigglypuff*cough*

There is really nothing against generic enemies. It's really just a kind of last resort on why characters can't be in. Or it's because they don't have as much personality.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

There is really nothing against generic enemies. It's really just a kind of last resort on why characters can't be in. Or it's because they don't have as much personality.
Pokemon don't count. It's Nintendo's second most popular franchise (selling over 10 million copies) so they couldn't give it any LESS that six reps by now, especially considering the fact that we now have 400 something Pokemon.

And really, you can't say that something like Pikachu would be the same as a Goomba? Or a generic Space Pirate? You have the opprotunity to fight and control as the Pikachu in the games, giving it a much different feel than just a generic enemy.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
ha ha, took the words out of my mouth, all the pokemon are generic characters dude. In the Metroid games a lot of the creatures don't have specific names but the space pirate grunts, and the chozo are littered through all the games. Another Idea would be the actual Alpha Metroid that is one of the main characters in super metroid.

comparing the space pirates and the chozo to goombas displays your lack of understanding of how big a part of the metroid story they are compared to a goomba.

Ridley would be awesome but is just too big to work on most stages, He makes a great boss but I understand why he can't be a playable character.

as for Kamek as a Yoshi rep, sure, whatever, Yoshi was a mario character to begin with so draw the line however you see fit.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The only Space Pirate who stands a slight chance is actually only Ridley. All other characters in the Metroid series are too minor. I'd also be a bit baffled if there would be a character named "Chozo Warrior" or any other generic enemy on the roster before the major main characters of their respective series.
Actually, there's a slight chance that a Space Pirate could become playable.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/951/951894p1.html

Sometime in the future, we should be expecting some side-story with a Space Pirate perspective. If it's a game, then the chances of a space pirate are higher, but I still doubt them.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
There is a difference between those and a Space Pirate or a Koopa Troopa, though. The used Pokemon standalones all have a personality hailing from the anime and the manga - which is why they mainly were chosen to represent the series, as the anime is insanely popular.
The PT on the other hand is a different story, as he is the character you control in the Pokemon games. Much like Link or Mario, the PT shows no personality at all. In fact, I think the PT is a bit less generic than Link, whose name even is meant to represent the character to be the link in between player and game...

What would you buy either? A game which has a box reading "With the newcomers Ridley, Waluigi and K. Rool!" or a box reading "With the newcomers Space Pirate, Koopa Troopa and Kritter!"?

Actually, there's a slight chance that a Space Pirate could become playable.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/951/951894p1.html

Sometime in the future, we should be expecting some side-story with a Space Pirate perspective. If it's a game, then the chances of a space pirate are higher, but I still doubt them.
I see where you're coming from, and when playing the Prime games, I really enjoyed reading the Space Pirate logs to see how they operate and how advanced they in fact are.
However, should we ever see a Metroid game out of a Space Pirate's view, it would be a character with a name, a new character who will be the personality you control. Not just "a space pirate"

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon don't count. It's Nintendo's second most popular franchise (selling over 10 million copies) so they couldn't give it any LESS that six reps by now, especially considering the fact that we now have 400 something Pokemon.

And really, you can't say that something like Pikachu would be the same as a Goomba? Or a generic Space Pirate? You have the opprotunity to fight and control as the Pikachu in the games, giving it a much different feel than just a generic enemy.
Actually, you don't control pikachu, you control the pokemon trainer who controls the pokemon and they follow those orders.

But i do know what you mean. I'm just trying to make a point that sakurai never acutally said anything about generic characters so you can't rule them out right away. (Actually i don't care about the space warriors. I'm just defending generics for Toad)

@:spadefox: I don't really care what's on the cover. I don't care if they put in a pointless character, i just want to see some good ones. There are even good generic characters believe it or not.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
actually, I would buy the latter :) just because they seem like more competent fighters.

I know what you are saying though, but I still say you underestimate the importance of both space pirates and the chozo, believe me, I wish they had named one or two of them, it's amazing how having a name all of a sudden makes it so much bigger of a deal, even if it's the same thing.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I see where you're coming from, and when playing the Prime games, I really enjoyed reading the Space Pirate logs to see how they operate and how advanced they in fact are.
However, should we ever see a Metroid game out of a Space Pirate's view, it would be a character with a name, a new character who will be the personality you control. Not just "a space pirate"
In that case, the character in question may be Weavil(sp?). If that's the case, we may be seeing more of him and possibly Sylux in the future.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
In that case, the character in question may be Weavil(sp?). If that's the case, we may be seeing more of him and possibly Sylux in the future.
Oh right, Weavel. I totally forgot about him. Yea. The Hunters. In my opinion a very controverse topic, as it's questionable whether they will return or not.

@PanzerOceania:
Mind you, I love the Space Pirates, I love Koopas and Kremlins, but I'd really don't see how the word "a space pirate" or "a Kremlin" is more appealing than the characters who are popular and liked.
Also, characters can be resized. Stop bringing up the "too big" argument against Ridley, it's getting REALLY old and dumb and worn out. From you - as you are intelligent and know a lot about games - I'd expect better stuff than that.

@MarikYoshi:
Pikachu and Jigglypuff were the chosen 2 first Pokemon because of their popularity (due to the anime). Of course they are technically generic characters, but after all, there are ONLY generic characters and creatures in Pokemon, unlike with all other series, where there are named characters playing major roles.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
good counter reply.

actually I was one of the people arguing to HAVE Ridley in, but I did see the point of how huge he is.

You are right though, he could be resized, I would love if they would do this, I guess I was just trying to find other good Metroid reps, and they are there, I wish some of them were named, they would have some great combat possibilities.

Ridley would be sweet though.

here is one that I'm sure most people would hate but I hadn't thought of before (although I'm sure it's been mentioned)

Chibi Robot, it's one of the few new IPs nintendo has, I would also look at characters from Magical Vacation and Magical Starsign, perhaps Starfy too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wouldn't mind Chibi-Robo at all. All that's got to happen is that he can have a workable moveset.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
he could easily have a moveset from all the chores he does. His plug could be a major weapon. Also Jill from Drill Dozer would be nice to have as a playable character.

for those of you who don't know who starfy is, the 5th game is coming to the US this spring and has been on GBA and DS in japan, it's like ristar meets kirby meets yoshi's island is it's own game. It's badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIJilRKnBI

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Toad has to be in SSB4. I can't stress it enough he's one of the 4 original Mario characters!!!
Yes, and he's in Melee already as Peach's Neutral B. lol =P

good counter reply.

actually I was one of the people arguing to HAVE Ridley in, but I did see the point of how huge he is.
There is no point in that argument. Sakurai has resized characters since the very first game (they made Pikachu bigger). They can downsize Ridley, too. The game is not canon in any way and thus should not be handled like it is. Because it really really isn't.

You are right though, he could be resized, I would love if they would do this, I guess I was just trying to find other good Metroid reps, and they are there, I wish some of them were named, they would have some great combat possibilities.
Honestly, if it was going like I wanted, there would be half of the roster only Metroid characters. There are so many possibilities in characters, but they all are very very minor and mostly limited to one game, only Dark Samus being in 2 of them.
Outside of Samus and Ridley, of course.

here is one that I'm sure most people would hate but I hadn't thought of before (although I'm sure it's been mentioned)

Chibi Robot, it's one of the few new IPs nintendo has, I would also look at characters from Magical Vacation and Magical Starsign, perhaps Starfy too.
Oh yea, Chibi-Robo, Stafy, Cafe-Au-Lait or Mokka (as both are the same looks, just with minor differences) from the Magical games... That'd be great.
Stafy is very popular (and his games are actually quite good), being a new series and already having 5 installments.

I personally would love to have Sukapon as a playable character, as he would represent Nintendo's first fighting game and actually their only fighting game next to Smash Bros.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
he could easily have a moveset from all the chores he does. His plug could be a major weapon. Also Jill from Drill Dozer would be nice to have as a playable character.

for those of you who don't know who starfy is, the 5th game is coming to the US this spring and has been on GBA and DS in japan, it's like ristar meets kirby meets yoshi's island is it's own game. It's badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIJilRKnBI
It's spelled Stafy, not Starfy. If it was Starfy, his name in romanized katakana would be Staafy. Sorry, just having a bit of a weaboo moment (would you really call it that?).

Anyway, I'm okay with most characters as long as they're interesting.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Ladies and gentlemen, this links prove that we will have Sta(r)fy in SSB4.
He has already recolours (in the video that fishing minigame and Stapy), is very popular (in Japan at least) and due to the fact the games are going to be released in the US (and PLEASE Europe too, I don't want to import them so often ;_; ) means that Stafy is probably one of the most likely candidates for Smash 4. Also, he's already in Smash as an Assist Trophy and has a couple of trophies for him.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
yeah, he is a popular new IP, that could actually have a decent moveset. He'd attract his fans to smash, and now that it's localized (FINALLY, it took Nintendo of America 4 games to realize that it was an amazing success >_> )

yes, I think it's very likely.

I apologize. I didn't know Nintendo decided to stick with Starfy. I remember they stayed with Stafy for Brawl so I assumed that was the case.

it's ok, I was kinda a smart ***, I don't know why I'm being so mean today, I would have probably said the same thing yesterday so no sweat man, way to catch it (Nintendo is fickle, it's not your fault)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would prefer for Peach to use Parry as opposed to the generic one she's used. Maybe it can act as a projectile absorber.

Does anyone think Peach's final smash should've been her Anger attack? Along with a number of others, I was disappointed in the choice for her final smash.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I was disappointed in a lot of Final Smashes that could have been better. It is another area that could show unique things from the game, and most of them ended up not putting that to good use at all.

I liked Yoshi's, Pit's, and Sonic's a lot

Link could have gotten sword shooting or Fierce Deity Mask
Donkey Kong could have jumped on Rambi and had a rampage
Fox can have the landmaster bu let falco call in an Arwing strike
Toon Link could have pulled out his hammer or gone 4swords on us.

etc. and that's just off the top of my head.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, each and every one of the final smashes should have come from a previous game (save for Bowser). It's not too hard to come for a bunch of them. Although, some like Yoshi's, Pit's, Sonic's, and Zamus' were derived from canon. Here are some suggestions:

Luigi - Sucks everyone in with the Poltergust 3000 and then spit them out.
Peach - Super Saiyan Angry Peach
Diddy - Guitar Waves (DK 64)
Samus - Hyper Beam (and without switch)
Ness - PK Rockin' Omega
Lucas - PK LOVE Omega
Jigglypuff - Sing
Sheik - Harp
Toon Link - See WW Ending

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
No saying of Kirby's Final Smash, lol. Though most people would say Crash or the Star Ship Kirby.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
Diddy could have the boom box from DKC2 too.

Toon Link could call on a storm of rain wind and lightning with the wind waker.

we have the super scope as an item, how about the power glove? :D

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Fox can have the landmaster bu let falco call in an Arwing strike
That was actually planned, but they gave Falco a Landmaster, probably because of the time. That has been found out with the moveset swap hacks - if Diddy gets Falco's moveset and does the Final Smash, he summons an unfinished Arwing. So, my shot at this is that Falco was meant to have an Arwing but that idea was scrapped due to time constraints. Sakurai did say that there were some things he wanted to include but didn't have the time anymore.

we have the super scope as an item, how about the power glove? :D
LMAO!

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yeah, each and every one of the final smashes should have come from a previous game (save for Bowser).
Although I will admit that I liked the use of Giga Bowser in this game (I think just about everyone who played Melee was looking forward to a possible chance of playing him in Brawl), there was even a final smash that they could have given him from a previous game that would have just kept the traditional spirit you wished for.

The clown copter. It wouldn't be too hard to incorporate it in either, as the thing basically gave a SSB element to it anyway when operated in Super Mario World. Just make it float across the top of the screen (probably on a sway autopilot, as it would otherwise give the player too much control), and then have an A move of dropping down minions, and a B move of dropping the humungous bowling ball? And uhhh...if anyone touches the copter itself, it'd be about like running into Moltres in Melee (I can't remember if Moltres was transitioned to Brawl or not). Oh, and as the thing was leaving the stage, it'd drop teh fireballz. :)

Idk...it doesn't sound too bad, I think. The mechanics would need some working out, however, but that's expected. ^.^

IC3R

Smash Lord
No saying of Kirby's Final Smash, lol. Though most people would say Crash or the Star Ship Kirby.
OMG YEEEEESSSS!!!!

Crash Kirby could be like a bunch of Smart Bombs combined; UFO Kirby would be like Yoshi's current Final Smash, only a lot more epic; and imagine what Mike Kirby would be like...
:O
It could be a three-time use Final Smash, each time stronger than the last. His three forms could come off of Super Star Ultra (director, pop star, death metal [yes])!

Yay for cool Final Smashes! :bee:

Champio30

Smash Cadet
What if SSB4 had downloadable content
And not like Random Stages, Screens, and Video's, like Official Stages, some characters, ITEMS, etc
There can be additional blocks to save on the wii, or you can save on SD

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Couple of ideas:

Chars: Toon dorf, bring back mewtwo and make him what he should of been in melee an overpowered evil floaty dude not just a floaty dude that a pichu can kill i mean come on in the movie, games w/e mwetwo could blow somthing up just by looking at it!!!, maybe that giant crocodile from donkey kong the last boss of n64 dont know name not played in years, roy(he is our boy after all), knuckles,shadow would be good, walugi, maybe bring in another ice climbers character if there is one, rayman, spyro would be cool, BRING BACK DR.MARIO, krystal from starfox maybe, maybe get some bleach chars on it that would be amazing btw if you dont know wat bleach is my avatar is one of the chars.

defs make stage builder better

defs make online better

have absolutely every stage that has ever been on a smash game like the n64 hyrule castle or the city stage that was on melee with the ufo.

keep the same hitstun, gravity as brawl i'm srry melee fans/brawl + fans but i think its just annoying that you have hardly any chance of recovering and cant move when getting combo'ed but my thoughts so think wat ya want...

give everyone a decent chance for example c.facon has little to no chance against snake/MK only player skill lvl can help them and that would involve the falcon being 8 times better than the MK player by all meens if the char has wings then let him/her fly but still.....

anyway my views/ideas

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
That was actually planned, but they gave Falco a Landmaster, probably because of the time. That has been found out with the moveset swap hacks - if Diddy gets Falco's moveset and does the Final Smash, he summons an unfinished Arwing. So, my shot at this is that Falco was meant to have an Arwing but that idea was scrapped due to time constraints. Sakurai did say that there were some things he wanted to include but didn't have the time anymore.
I wonder if that is in any way salvageable in the future.... hmm.....

To the above post, I am with you on having every smash stage unlockable, other than that.... I don't know.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
As far as actual content goes, I really don't care.

The one thing that I pray for is Melee's competitive style. Brawl is a great game and I like it and all...but it really is just too slow. A game doesn't have to be slow to appeal to casual players...Melee appealed to both.

So things like actual hitstun (doesn't even have to be as much as Melee, but definitely more than Brawl's), not as floaty, L-cancel, I actually prefer Brawl's airdodge to Melee's...kind of, NO EFFING TRIPPING, and just a generally faster game would be nice. Not to say Brawl sucks; I love Brawl, but I wish I was born 7 years earlier so I could have been a part of Melee's competitive scene.

inb4meleevsbrawl
meh.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
As far as actual content goes, I really don't care.

The one thing that I pray for is Melee's competitive style. Brawl is a great game and I like it and all...but it really is just too slow. A game doesn't have to be slow to appeal to casual players...Melee appealed to both.

So things like actual hitstun (doesn't even have to be as much as Melee, but definitely more than Brawl's), not as floaty, L-cancel, I actually prefer Brawl's airdodge to Melee's...kind of, NO EFFING TRIPPING, and just a generally faster game would be nice. Not to say Brawl sucks; I love Brawl, but I wish I was born 7 years earlier so I could have been a part of Melee's competitive scene.

inb4meleevsbrawl
meh.
I'm hoping for original physics. As stale as this argument is, it's true: if you want 64 physics, play 64, if you want Melee physics, play Melee, if you want Brawl physics, play Brawl.

I hope we get Super Smash Bros 4, not Super Smash Bros Melee 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom