• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually pretty sure that everybody who doesn't waste their life on the internet (See: vast majority of people) want in Paper Mario and Bower Jr. over... wait, whose Geno again? Oh yeah, most people DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO HE IS.

That isn't quite true. My friends remember this game from when they were young, the don't remember the names, but the remember the character. They don't play much brawl or waste time on the internet. I would say that Geno appeals to smashers more in their teens or older. Geno isn't the most stiking name, but as a character, he is.

All the SMRPG stickers were of characters owned by Nintendo, I believe. All the music is owned by Nintendo as well.

If the music and the stickers were owned by Nintendo, wouldn't the character be owned by Nintendo? Even if so, the music shows that he may have been planned for brawl.

Geno isn't popular. He just has a vocal fanbase. Chrono is a far better rep for Square-Enix due to being the main characer in what is considered one of -- if not THE -- best RPGs of all time. Not to mention a remake of Crono Trigger recently came out on the DS, boosting his popularity.

Don't even make this into a popularity contest. I agree that the Geno community is loud. There are still thousands of fans that waste their lives on the internet. There still is a fanbase in real life too. Pit was hardly known as a character, and he made it to Brawl. Same with the Ice Climbers and Game and Watch in melee. Sonic's fanbase was very loud too. They just made a lot of threads. Geno's fanbase is bigger than those characters that you say are deserving. Little Mac, Paper Mario, even Tom Nook has a big fanbase. Geno's is bigger though.

Geno is a great character that would work in this game, it is undeniable.
By the way, outside of Smashboards, (I.E. the rest of gamers), Travis Touchdown is a popular and cool character that a lot of people like. He works better than you might think.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Geno isn't popular. He just has a vocal fanbase. Chrono is a far better rep for Square-Enix due to being the main characer in what is considered one of -- if not THE -- best RPGs of all time. Not to mention a remake of Crono Trigger recently came out on the DS, boosting his popularity.

@Quadz08:

And my brother! I thought we were related all this time, and now you do this! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You make a lot of logical statements (Mewtwo (but Pokemon already has 6 characters on their roster...), Waluigi, Travis) and then say stupid things (Krystal, Ridley).

Hit me up on AIM, my man. I must enlighten you in the ways of SSB4.
I doubt Chrono would be a muchbetter choice. Like Geno, how many people actually know who he is? Chances are, most people these days will only know about the biggest Nintendo characters and characters from some popular FPS or M-Rated game.

Anyway, I wonder if you and Chronobound are the ones that are related. I still think that you two can be narrowminded on some things such as the whole Krystal thing.

I'm just saying this: We may get Wolf cut for her. Have you considered this possibility?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
He may have only been in one game but the average 20-25 gamer if they had an SNES at the time has prolly played SMRPG, i'd wager the numbers for Super Paper Mario are much lower.
You honestly think that more people played a game that came out at the end of the SNES's life cycle than a game that came out when the Wii was owning everything? Especailly considering that SPM is on the Wii, the best selling video game console of all time.

I doubt Chrono would be a muchbetter choice. Like Geno, how many people actually know who he is? Chances are, most people these days will only know about the biggest Nintendo characters and characters from some popular FPS or M-Rated game.
I'm not saying Chrono is likely either -- just more likely than Geno.

I'm just saying this: We may get Wolf cut for her. Have you considered this possibility?
Yes, I have. I would welcome it -- I would prefer Krystal to Wolf anyday. Though Japan usually sees favoritism when it comes to the Smash series and Wolf was added because Japanese fans wanted him, soo...

Krystal still isn't very likely.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
if you looked at the vote it was more than a couple hundred, as FatJackieChan stated he was in highest demand, thousands upons thousands, I didn't even put him on my roster but the fact that he is highly desired is undeniable.
No, there was no thousands. You better back up your information with links, instead of opinions pulled out of your... you know.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Stopped reading there.

The interent doesn't matter. If the internet mattered, we would still have hitstun and L-Cancel. Geno REALLY doesn't matter, and Sakurai is thankfully smart enough to realize that.
Aah, but the internet actually matters if it is an online poll that Sukurai designs to see who is good for a game. I am glad that Sakurai was thankfully smart enough to realize that the consumers should get a say.

Agreed.

Having a couple hundred people happy is in no way a smart move when compared to how many people will have no idea who Geno is.

Marth and Roy are examples of 2 characters that suffered that fate. The only difference is that marth and roy represented a whole franchise. Geno on the other hand is a character that played a side role in a game released long ago.

-:bowser:Bowser King
Marth and Roy made many people happy in Japan. Fire Emblem is one of the biggest series that Nintendo has. (And it is doing better than some of the "main series" now). Sakurai has wanted Sigurd, the FE 4 lord in Smash since SSB64. He has not made it in yet. Geno played a major role (he is important to the plot, he is not a side character) in a game released a long ago (like Kid Icarus, not even as long as that) that every body played. A majority of people who played throughout the SNES life span also played that game. They may not remember his name but they remember his face.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yes, I have. I would welcome it -- I would prefer Krystal to Wolf anyday. Though Japan usually sees favoritism when it comes to the Smash series and Wolf was added because Japanese fans wanted him, soo...

I don't know if Wolf's more popular there, but if that whole journal thing is any indication, then Krystal may be the one more wanted. Also, if you remember that Japanese fansite that did its own predictions, Krystal was one of the ones who seemed likely.

You may also remember me mentioning in the past that Sakurai made a comment stating that he didn't know Krystal existed at the time. Unfortunately, I cannot find the original source so take this with a grain of salt.

Nonetheless, I agree that Krystal isn't likely as long as Wolf is in.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
You honestly think that more people played a game that came out at the end of the SNES's life cycle than a game that came out when the Wii was owning everything? Especailly considering that SPM is on the Wii, the best selling video game console of all time.

I'm not saying Chrono is likely either -- just more likely than Geno.

Yes, I honestly think that a game that came out at the end of the SNES's life cycle was more popular than the Paper Mario series. Maybe not the first Paper Mario, but not many people played the second one. (I own it, but cannot bear playing through it. It also got bad reviews.) And I don't know a single soul who got Super Paper Mario. I like all three of these games, but they are in no means popular. Not every person with a Wii got this game, considering a majority of people with Wiis don't even use them.

Oh, and now that we have Wolf, Krystal is more likely.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
@FatJackieChan

First of all, don't reply inside the quotes. Do it like this:

I like this because of reason A
You are wrong because of reason B.

Much easier.

Don't even make this into a popularity contest.
You are already wrong. Getting into Smash is one giant popularity contest, save for Retro characters and characters that got in due to director bias (Lucas).

I agree that the Geno community is loud. There are still thousands of fans that waste their lives on the internet. There still is a fanbase in real life too.
Which still consists mostly of the people on the internet.

Pit was hardly known as a character, and he made it to Brawl. Same with the Ice Climbers and Game and Watch in melee.
They are retro characters. Leniency is given. You need to read the Retro Report on the SSB4 Blog.

Quote from the blog regarding a few retro characters:

Retro characters are generally included to represent Nintendo’s past (hence the rest of the cast represents Nintendo’s present, or even future). Mr. Game and Watch, for example, has been very important to the history of Nintendo. The Game and Watch series was Nintendo’s first attempt at a “video game”, and the series enjoyed great success, having an eleven year run. Not only is the character recognizable to all of those who consider themselves ‘old-school’ gamers, but he fits the bill of what a retro representative in Smash should be – popular back in the day, good sales, and a fanbase.

The Ice Climbers also fit the bill of a good retro representative – popular, good sales, and a fanbase. Not to mention the large amount of popularity they have garnered simply by appearing in Smash Bros.. While some may argue that before Melee, very few people had heard of them, and so they’re not necessarily the best/most iconic choice for a retro character, that argument doesn’t have much weight since…well, they have already been picked, and have shown up in two successive games in the series now.

Pit was one of the original characters announced for Brawl, and Kid Icarus fans everywhere couldn’t have been happier. Also, a number of people who had never even heard of Pit were beginning to pay attention to the character. He also follows the rules of being a ‘good’ retro Smash character – he has popularity, his first game had good sales (his second adventure was overshadowed by other Game Boy releases), and a fanbase. There are also many rumors circling around the internet about a new Kid Icarus game. With all this in mind, Pit doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.
Sonic's fanbase was very loud too. They just made a lot of threads.
Sonic is also an industry icon whose games continue to sell millions.

Geno's fanbase is bigger than those characters that you say are deserving. Little Mac, Paper Mario, even Tom Nook has a big fanbase. Geno's is bigger though.
Little Mac is retro.

Paper Mario is a major charater in his own Series of games that hasn't been represented yet.

Tom Nook isn't getting into Smash Bros. Sakurai even said that he didn't think that Animal Crossing characters should fight.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
it's the year 2009, hate to break it to you, but geno has been retro for awhile now.

I also don't see anything stopping both Krystal and Wolf making it into the next one. In Brawl Smash has become a series of franchises, you have the star fox crew, the mario crew, kirby crew, fire emblem, pokemon, zelda etc. etc. I think they are interested not in clones, but in creating teams of characters, hence my roster with groups of 4. I know people want as many unique characters as possible but it seems that the makers of the game are interested in having several characters from each franchise, about 3 or 4.

I was under the impression that Brawl was the final...
it probably is but the video game industry is very upredictable. There were no plans for Brawl for a long time, we'll probably see something else out of Sora before we see another Smash game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai has wanted Sigurd, the FE 4 lord in Smash since SSB64. He has not made it in yet. Geno played a major role (he is important to the plot, he is not a side character) in a game released a long ago (like Kid Icarus, not even as long as that) that every body played. A majority of people who played throughout the SNES life span also played that game. They may not remember his name but they remember his face.
No, Sakurai has never stated he wanted to put in Sigurd. That rumor was proven false.

Also, I bet if you asked most gamers in real life who Geno was, they would respond with "Who?"

Also, Ice Climber was never popular. Sakurai simply selected them since they were the only retro character he was considering that he could get to make into an interesting character (other retro characters that Sakurai was considering was Balloon Fighter, Excite Biker, and the Urban Champion).

M3WTW0 J0SH

Smash Cadet
it probably is but the video game industry is very upredictable. There were no plans for Brawl for a long time, we'll probably see something else out of Sora before we see another Smash game.
I would imagine if the original characters throw it away, nintendo will let someone else license it. Very rarely do game series' survive after being traded off.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Tom Nook isn't getting into Smash Bros. Sakurai even said that he didn't think that Animal Crossing characters should fight.
I think I have corrected on you on this. He didn't say exactly as that.

He said, "Characters like the above that do not seem plausible for them to fight will not appear."

It seems more like he's saying that he can't think of a way for them to work. Also, in the picture that had this line in the Iwata Asks interview,the villager is featured, not Nook so he is technically safe.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
Also, Ice Climber was never popular. Sakurai simply selected them since they were the only retro character he was considering that he could get to make into an interesting character

actually they were extremely popular, just in japan. You cannot under estimate the power of the japanese market on Smash, in fact the Ice Climbers were slated to be Nintendo's mascot until Mario came along.

I don't think we'll see animal crossing characters fighting either, it kinda goes against the vibe of the game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think I have corrected on you on this. He didn't say exactly as that.

He said, "Characters like the above that do not seem plausible for them to fight will not appear."

It seems more like he's saying that he can't think of a way for them to work. Also, in the picture that had this line in the Iwata Asks interview,the villager is featured, not Nook so he is technically safe.
Sakurai has said "Animal Crossing" is a series that does not lend itself to fighting.

This is what Sakurai says:
When they’re all lined up like this, it becomes obvious that there is roughly 6-year blank before and after Pikmin. While there have been big series since then like "Animal Crossing," "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day," and "Wii Sports" it does seem that coming up with a completely new character-driven series has gotten more difficult recently.

To the above poster: I want a source that shows that Ice Climber was popular in Japan. Don't pull information out of your behind.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Marth and Roy made many people happy in Japan. Fire Emblem is one of the biggest series that Nintendo has. (And it is doing better than some of the "main series" now). Sakurai has wanted Sigurd, the FE 4 lord in Smash since SSB64. He has not made it in yet. Geno played a major role (he is important to the plot, he is not a side character) in a game released a long ago (like Kid Icarus, not even as long as that) that every body played. A majority of people who played throughout the SNES life span also played that game. They may not remember his name but they remember his face.
Oops, If forgot to add that Marth and Roy were really popular and were/are still in a live franchise. With the release od Shadow Dragon, FE will only get stronger over here.

Geno on the other hand has yet to appear in another game other then RPG. Plus, not many people owned a SNES, and the ones that did aren't really the majority of gamers anymore.

The RPG series has changed a lot. There's the paper series and the mario and luigi series. The one with geno is pretty much dead. Seeing that, I'm sure paper mario would take priority over geno.

-:bowser:Bowser King

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
First of all, don't reply inside the quotes. Do it like this:

You are wrong because of reason B.

Much easier.
Thank you

You are already wrong. Getting into Smash is one giant popularity contest, save for Retro characters and characters that got in due to director bias (Lucas).
Every old school gamer knows Geno, he is generally liked by a lot of people. SMRPG was recently released on the Virtual Console, which shows that that game is still remembered. He still is popular, and now it is growing.

Which still consists mostly of the people on the internet.
Virtual Console, the community is bigger than the internet.

They are retro characters. Leniency is given.
Geno is retro, SNES is as retro as the Gameboy. Pit's last game was on the Gameboy. That means that he is as old of a character is Pit. All retro rules that apply to Pit also apply to Geno.

Sonic is also an industry icon whose games continue to sell millions.
Sonic does not do so well now, but as many people played SMRPG as they did Chrono Trigger, they are both classic games. I agree that Sonic does have that advantage.

Little Mac is retro.

Paper Mario is a major character in his own Series of games that hasn't been represented yet.
I agree about Paper Mario, but I am merely stating that Geno still has a bigger fanbase, and if Smash is just a popularity contest...[/QUOTE]

Geno is retro, popular, and possibly planned for Brawl. Isn't that enough?

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
[COLOR="Red"[quote="bowser king, post: 6721902"]Oops, If forgot to add that Marth and Roy were really popular and were/are still in a live franchise. With the release of Shadow Dragon, FE will only get stronger over here.
That's fine. I agree that FE will get stronger, I would say that if Geno were brought back, like FE to America, and Pit if you were not a fan. It would make the Smashers curious as to who he was.

Geno on the other hand has yet to appear in another game other then RPG. Plus, not many people owned a SNES, and the ones that did aren't really the majority of gamers anymore.
Many people owned SNES's, it was also at the end of the SNES, so most people that had the system got it. I got my SNES a year before the switch, and I got SMRPG.

The RPG series has changed a lot. There's the paper series and the mario and luigi series. The one with geno is pretty much dead. Seeing that, I'm sure paper mario would take priority over geno.
The Mario RPG series isn't 1 series. It is three seperate series. This is simply one retro game that was generally remembered (like Kid Icarus).

Geno would be good for Smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Thank you

Every old school gamer knows Geno, he is generally liked by a lot of people. SMRPG was recently released on the Virtual Console, which shows that that game is still remembered. He still is popular, and now it is growing.

No they don't. Geno is obscure. DEAL WITH IT.

Virtual Console, the community is bigger than the internet.

No it isn't.

Geno is retro, SNES is as retro as the Gameboy. Pit's last game was on the Gameboy. That means that he is as old of a character is Pit. All retro rules that apply to Pit also apply to Geno.

Geno might be retro, but he's a SIDE CHARACTER. Repeat after me. SIDE CHARACTER!

Sonic does not do so well now, but as many people played SMRPG as they did Chrono Trigger, they are both classic games. I agree that Sonic does have that advantage.

Little Mac is retro.

I agree about Paper Mario, but I am merely stating that Geno still has a bigger fanbase, and if Smash is just a popularity contest...
Geno is retro, popular, and possibly planned for Brawl. Isn't that enough?[/QUOTE]

No, he wasn't. As for as we are aware, there were only seven characters that were planned for Brawl that did not make it. Don't pull information out of your behind.

Comments in red.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
FatJackieChan

Many people owned SNES's, it was also at the end of the SNES, so most people that had the system got it. I got my SNES a year before the switch, and I got SMRPG.

The Mario RPG series isn't 1 series. It is three seperate series. This is simply one retro game that was generally remembered (like Kid Icarus).

Geno would be good for Smash
So which would be better to represent? The two series, or the stand alone game. Anyone who chooses the latter is a fanboy.

Also, Geno was never planned for Brawl. Don't spread false information.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Geno is retro, popular, and possibly planned for Brawl. Isn't that enough?
No, he wasn't. As for as we are aware, there were only seven characters that were planned for Brawl that did not make it. Don't pull information out of your behind.

Comments in red.[/QUOTE]

No, that may not be the case. In the case that Geno was considered a third party character by square. His coding, unlike first party characters, would have to have been cut entirely. Due to this, hacking into the coding could not prove anything unless that it proves that part of the codes remained (which is illegal)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Geno requires third party rights, and due to him being so utterly obscure and unknown outside his cult fanbase, Nintendo aren't going to bother to get the rights. Did you not see how much trouble fans had to go through to get even Sonic into the game?

Retro is not a good thing. One retro rep and no more, please. Retro characters may as well be Smash original characters in that they make their fan base out of their Smash appearance.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No, that may not be the case. In the case that Geno was considered a third party character by square. His coding, unlike first party characters, would have to have been cut entirely. Due to this, hacking into the coding could not prove anything unless that it proves that part of the codes remained (which is illegal)
Don't pull information out of your behind. You are just dreaming, and I am here to wake you up. There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned. Let me make a wall of text out of it, so iut can stick in your head.

There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Don't pull information out of your behind. You are just dreaming, and I am here to wake you up. There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned. Let me make a wall of text out of it, so iut can stick in your head.

There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned. X 1000000000
Then why is the song that is widely considered his theme found in the coding?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Then why is the song that is widely considered his theme found in the coding?
There was an area in Partners in Time called "Mushroom Forest". It could have been that. The title of the Forest Maze song is "Beware the Forest Mushrooms." Considering that there was already a remixed song for Partners in Time in Brawl (for the desert), it most likely was that.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
100th Post. WHOO!

There was an area in Partners in Time called "Mushroom Forest". It could have been that. The title of the Forest Maze song is "Beware the Forest Mushrooms." Considering that there was already a remixed song for Partners in Time in Brawl (for the desert), it most likely was that.
I don't know this for sure, so one of the Pro Geno people correct me if I am wrong. But wasn't the music accessable? Weren't we able to play the music. I think that the file was intact, just not put to a stage, or unlockable.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't know this for sure, so one of the Pro Geno people correct me if I am wrong. But wasn't the music accessable? Weren't we able to play the music. I think that the file was intact, just not put to a stage, or unlockable.
None of the cut music was accessible. However, there is an idiot running around Youtube claiming that he hacked the disc and got the music out. Beware, that guy is a liar.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Because it's the song everybody recognizes from SMRPG
But if people would recognize, the music, then they will surely recognize the character. It is not very good fighting music as it is more mysterious. I believe that the music is proof that Geno was planned, but I am more than positive that you won't.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
But if people would recognize, the music, then they will surely recognize the character. It is not very good fighting music as it is more mysterious. I believe that the music is proof that Geno was planned, but I am more than positive that you won't.
Edit: It looks like this post isn't needed.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
None of the cut music was accessible. However, there is an idiot running around Youtube claiming that he hacked the disc and got the music out. Beware, that guy is a liar.
Aah, that was the guy I was thinking of. He lied. Well then you could very well be right.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
I'm positive that the above post is proof that you won't give up and accept that:

There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned. X 20000000000000000000000000
No, I won't accept that simply because the music was there, and that he won the character poll, and the characters 2-10 were in Brawl, when # 1, Geno was not. I won't accept that simply because I believe that the fact, "There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned" is not true.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
If Nintendo wanted Geno in so badly, why was he not put in when Sonic was, two years after everybody else?

OH WAIT I KNOW.

Nintendo didn't want Geno in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No, I won't accept that simply because the music was there, and that he won the character poll, and the characters 2-10 were in Brawl, when # 1, Geno was not. I won't accept that simply because I believe that the fact, "There is nothing to infer that Geno was planned" is not true.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
Sukapon anbd Lip won the other category back in the Melee poll, yet both have not even been included as even trophies. Most of the posts that had Geno in it talked about other characters mostly. Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.

Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.Geno is an obscure, unimportant side character.

Also, Skyler, if you want some of my essays, check the topic I made on the Brawl General Discussion board. However, the latest essay I posted is a very long read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom