• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
@ Superman

Only two links have been teens/adults (OoT, TP, not counting MM masked Links) the rest have been kid like. Toon Link is the best representation of "Link". Just rename him Link or something, no need for clones. Even if both are given different movesets, I dislike having similar characters. I hate the idea of Smash being full of "baby" version or "adult" version of certain characters like they did with Mario Kart.

Jiggly will probably never be taken out, just as you said. I only wish she looked less Kirby like.... :(

As for Ridley, I see you're discussing that interview with others, but regardless. I deny size being a big problem. Balance would be the hardest. Ridley would definitely be a heavyweight who hits hard. Since he shoots fireballs, have bombs, and fire his lazah he has plenty of potential projectil attacks and his wings gives him good/ok recovery. His tail is also quite long compared to his body, giving him a range advantage while using it to attack. That's starting to look very OP.

He would need some real bad aerials, slow movements + lots of lag on his moves, and poor range except for his projectiles and tail attacks to make him anywhere near balanced. Of course, nobody wants a Ganondorf 1.1 either.....

Anyway, in the next Smash it would be cool to have more alt costumes. DS, Light, Dark, and Fusion for Samus would rock. Dr. mario for his fans + racoon and caped Mario. Same for Luigi, except the Dr. custom. Ike needs his lord costume. Bowser can get the Bowletta and Shroob queen possessed costume. I will probably be flamed for this but.... Sonic need Shadow and Silver costumes.

One type of character I want to see is one that is all about powerups. Yes that sounds lame and DBZish to you guys but think about the possibilities. One character with very weak base stats, with a meter similar to the FS meter system I desribed in my last post. Getting lots of points would fill up this meter. Different type of points (depending on the type of acomplishment) would give you different powerups to select from. It sounds quite complicated but it would be interesting to play as.... And different powerups would be made for different situations, meaning a good player would get a very flexible character. It could always be simplified y'know.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well unfortunately, mewtwo was taken out after melee, and I doubt they would put him back in, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put another mewtwo-type person were in, like darkrai or someone else. Also, megaman would be in, and everyone would have their own stage, and lots of the brawl stages would either be in, or remodeled to make them better. some of the hazards are really cheap and stupid (like ultimate chimera on new pork city) and those would need to be removed.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
@ Superman

Only two links have been teens/adults (OoT, TP, not counting MM masked Links) the rest have been kid like. Toon Link is the best representation of "Link". Just rename him Link or something, no need for clones. Even if both are given different movesets, I dislike having similar characters. I hate the idea of Smash being full of "baby" version or "adult" version of certain characters like they did with Mario Kart.

Anyway, in the next Smash it would be cool to have more alt costumes. DS, Light, Dark, and Fusion for Samus would rock. Dr. mario for his fans + racoon and caped Mario. Same for Luigi, except the Dr. custom. Ike needs his lord costume. Bowser can get the Bowletta and Shroob queen possessed costume. I will probably be flamed for this but.... Sonic need Shadow and Silver costumes.
Well I see how you see that YOUNG Link may be slightly more important to the franchise, but TL isn't and it's just not feasible that they would take out Link. Ocarina of Time is the most loved Zelda game (for good reason), and that's where Adult Link came into play. Then TP came out, and they needed to make the Link in Brawl relative the the latest huge Zelda game (obviously, TP Link was an adult, thus, so is Link in Brawl). There's like 0 chance of them getting rid of adult Link, unless TL takes over in the future on Wii 2 or whatever it will be.

I feel the same way about alt costumes. More of them and more variation ftw. Like Wario, except for just about every character. And maybe even more than 2 versions, like you said.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
K, but in that case I hope they at least remove Tink. I hate baby versions. I prefer Tink here though. He's just better tierwise. So far, at least. But I guess it would be easier to make Link balanced than Tink if Link was to get the upgrades in my wished for SSB4. They should give Link a cell shaded alt costume however.

I have been thinking about the idea of unlockable and switchable weapons, kinda similar minor stat adjustment I talked about earlier. Let's take Wolf as an example.

Tired of his long range sniper? Play a hard event match and unlock bazooka for Wolf. After unlocking this you would be able to switch the sniper for the bazooka at will (not while playing, in the menu). The bazooka would be slow, have lots of fire power, mediocre range, and AoE. We could go on with more weapons, like a regular gun from Brawl, a weak but fast machine lasergun, etc.

I think it would be incredibly hard to implement though. Balance is important and Nintendo usually rushes Smash games. It could lead to a "jack of all trades" type of game, or already broken characters using certain unlockables to cover up their only cons, making other unlockables for that character useless and making the gap between bottom and top bigger.

I also fear it would erase the individuality of some characters, and makes some characters less unique. Specialized characters who are played for their specific abilities would loss that, meaning no reason to play as them. Unlockables being nothing but generic items like in my example would quickly get old though. The creator would need to strike a balance, or create unlockables with unique traits that don't resemble any character's unique traits.

Finally, some characters would probably get more unlockables than others. It's not hard to create stuff for Wolf, but what about other characters, like Yoshi? Of course, if someone great manages to avoid all these possible problems then this would be a great feature... :)

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Well, if there isn't a SSB4, im sure some people on SWF, will become videogame programmers, and some videogame writers, and drawers and etc.
When all that happens, then they can create the next SSB4.
-t2

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Ugh the thought of there NOT a being SSB4..... Horrible. I'm glad Sakurai said yes, or we would still be stuck with Melee, just with online. The worst thing is that I can actually imagine Nintendo not continuing this great series. Even when it is a huge cash cow....

Ilex

Smash Ace
Brawl was going to be made even if Sakurai didn't accept it. The same deal will be made for SSB4. If doesn't feel like producing it, then Nintendo will hire somebody else for the job. You can't tell me that Nintendo won't make a sequel to one of their best games of all time. I hope Shigeru Miyamoto gets the job.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Seriously, Smash Bros. is one of the (if not THE) best game ideas ever. My friend, who is relatively opposed to all video games, knows about and will play Smash. My brother, who is the same way, but to a lesser degree, knows and loves playing Smash. My dad, who only plays sports games, knows what Super Smash Bros. is, and will play once in awhile. Heck, I think even my mom knows, and she doesn't even know how to turn the dang Wii on. If Nintendo doesn't do something about making a fourth installment, it'll be like setting fire to all their wallets.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
Get characters from different games. Return wavedashing, lcanceling, and stun time with attacks. Improve online so its like xbox360.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
globiumz said:
I agree with you, though I still prefer to play Smash as "Adult" Link. There's room for both characters, I think. All they should do is tweak each character's moveset/appearance based on future Zelda games.

One type of character I want to see is one that is all about powerups. Yes that sounds lame and DBZish to you guys but think about the possibilities. One character with very weak base stats, with a meter similar to the FS meter system I desribed in my last post. Getting lots of points would fill up this meter. Different type of points (depending on the type of acomplishment) would give you different powerups to select from. It sounds quite complicated but it would be interesting to play as.... And different powerups would be made for different situations, meaning a good player would get a very flexible character. It could always be simplified y'know.
This reminds me alot of Order-Sol from Guilty Gear Accent Core. He has a separate, character-exclusive meter he can charge by using a certain button combination, and as the meter passes certain markers, his moveset gets better. Now, when he uses an overdrive (a special move, basically), the meter drops. It works great in Guilty Gear, but I don't know about Smash Bros...

Also, what character could conceivably work in such a way?

And one more thing: the whole weapon-switching idea is fine in Soul Calibur, but in Smash, you'd have to really restrict the potential uses of the mechanic. If Wolf could (essentially) switch his standard B for a different one...well, that's one thing. But if Lin switched swords, he'd then have, say, extra range or damage for nearly all of his standard attacks, as well as one special.

I don't think it'd be worth the trouble to balance everything.

***​

Yeah, SSB4 will happen, Sakurai or no. Bungie stopped making Halo games, yet M$ is still adamantly pumping them out, aren't they?

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I vote for Masked Link. It'd be like PT, start out wearing a mask, DownB to change masks. Deku, Zora, Goron.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Does anyone, besides me, think that Paula, Poo, and Kumatora should be playable as alts.? After all, they're the ones that helped Ness and Lucas since the two have only two offensive PSI and those three helped them. Besides, it would be giving justice to those three since they essentially have no chance of being standalone fighters because of Ness and Lucas' smash movesets.

JasonLovesKelsey

Smash Rookie
At the same time, Sakurai never called them. The creator of Megaman was waiting for a call from Sakurai so he could approve of Megaman being in Brawl. Obviously that didn't happen. The problem that happened was that no one was communicating. The only possible exception would be Geno as the lost music tracks suggest.
Really? I heard that the creator of Cloud was waitng as well... **** YOU SAKURAI!!! LEARN HOW TO COMMUNICATE!!!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Does anyone, besides me, think that Paula, Poo, and Kumatora should be playable as alts.? After all, they're the ones that helped Ness and Lucas since the two have only two offensive PSI and those three helped them. Besides, it would be giving justice to those three since they essentially have no chance of being standalone fighters because of Ness and Lucas' smash movesets.
Eh, just Poo and Kumatora. This also needs some claification of the term "alt". If by that, you mean just a costume change ala' Peach/Daisy, then the only problem I see is changing Lucas' gender...

But yeah, they wouldn't make it as standalone characters, especially if Nintendo keeps refusing to let me play Mother 3...

I mean really, they already put out Mother 1 + 2 on the same DS cart, so how hard can it be to take that, add Mother 3, then sell it in North America as "Earthbound Collection" or "Earthbound DS". Jesus Christ, Nintendo--get on it.

/rant

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Question:

Smash Brothers DS maybe?

I mean, really, of course I would prefer SSB4 to be for the Wii or whatever for the TV, but I'd like a DS Smash Brothers. :B

JasonLovesKelsey

Smash Rookie
Viewtiful Joe would be awesome. I can already see a moveset for him:

B: Voomerang
Works like the original. It does not come back. Has a lot of lag, but it makes up in its strength.

Side B: Yamaarashi Chain
Works like Marth's Sword Dance. Instead of sword swings, Joe does punches and kicks. At the end of the chain, Joe grabs the opponent and tosses them down to the ground and they bounce back up.

Up B: Vertical Screw
Joe's zoomed jump from the game.

Down B: Viewtiful Forever
Joe counters an attack by first dodging the attack and then does a pose that damages anyone in range. Has a lot of after lag.

Final Smash: Mach Speed
Joe disappears, suddenly, a bunch of Joe mirages come and go while attacking the opponents. The attack cannot be dodged. Thankfully, the attacks will likely not kill you. After the attack is performed, Jow will glow red and any attacks that he inflicts on opponents will have a fire effect added for ten seconds.
YOU SIR, WIN 5 INTERNETS!

I actually would've included VJ instead of Mega-Man in my SSB4 Dream Roster, but I realized that Mega-Man would be the more likely choice for Capcom to use. I'd still rather have VJ.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I mean really, they already put out Mother 1 + 2 on the same DS cart, so how hard can it be to take that, add Mother 3, then sell it in North America as "Earthbound Collection" or "Earthbound DS". Jesus Christ, Nintendo--get on it.

/rant
It was a GBA game, not a DS game.

I still think they should do it but due to the lack of Mother love in the States and the earlier failure of Earthbound, I think HAL is reluctant to release Mother games here. Ness and Lucas were added to the Smash series for the Japanese fans, much like how the Fire Emblem guys were added to Melee.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Eh, just Poo and Kumatora. This also needs some claification of the term "alt". If by that, you mean just a costume change ala' Peach/Daisy, then the only problem I see is changing Lucas' gender...

But yeah, they wouldn't make it as standalone characters, especially if Nintendo keeps refusing to let me play Mother 3...

/rant
By alt. I mean a complete model swap. Looking at Poo and then Ness and you shouldn't see any similarities other than art style. By the way, Paula deserves to be an alt. more than Poo, imo. She supplied him with three of his five PSI.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
By alt. I mean a complete model swap. Looking at Poo and then Ness and you shouldn't see any similarities other than art style. By the way, Paula deserves to be an alt. more than Poo, imo. She supplied him with three of his five PSI.
Yes I agree with KumaOso here. Paula is more deserving to be in SSB4. Chief Mendez, why don't you think Paula deserves it?

I even made a Paula Polestar moveset on the Make Your Move 2.0 thread. Nothing beats kicking Snake's butt with a girl who uses a teddy bear as a weapon. The ultimate embarassment besides being beat by Jigglypuff.
If I go on to revise Paula's moveset more, I could make it so she could be a total standalone character who has a 95% different moveset and playstyle than Ness or Lucas. I think it could work.

I also hope that if Nibris becomes a 2nd party of Nintendo by the time SSB4 is in the making (perhaps Sadness will be done by then, hopefully it won't be a Duke Nukem Forever job), that they should put Maria in there. Another good female character who hopefully doesn't use magic or a sword and hopefully has brunette hair rather than blonde all the time.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
robosteven said:
Smash Brothers DS maybe?
As long as it's 2D, I'd be all for it. Alternatively, I'd certainly pay $35 for a remake of Smah 64, with Bowser, Peach, Marth, Mewtwo, Wario and G&W in the roster, and maybe some more modern updates, like a new adventure mode, event/stadium modes, and of course, online.

ducky285 said:
It was a GBA game, not a DS game.

I still think they should do it but due to the lack of Mother love in the States and the earlier failure of Earthbound, I think HAL is reluctant to release Mother games here. Ness and Lucas were added to the Smash series for the Japanese fans, much like how the Fire Emblem guys were added to Melee.
My mistake on that.....although that just makes it better. If they can fit two games on one GBA cart, they can sure as hell put two GBA games on one DS cart.

And hey, they put Marth and Roy in Melee, and look what happened: Fire Emblem crossed the pond. Mother 3 needs to do the same.

***​

Now then: that VJ moveset, KumaOso...

I'm fully in support of Joe being in Smash--he's waaaaay cooler than MegaMan, anyways--, but I see him being implemented differently:

B: Slow - Press B at any time to slow down Joe and his immediate surroundings (about four or five Mario-breadths away in a circular radius) it doesn't do any damage, and you can't use any other special moves while you're using it (you have to hold in the B button to keep the effect working), so it's essentially a tool for easier timing of things.

Side+B: Mach Speed
- Speed lines fly past Joe as he dashes forwards at double his normal speed. He'll run as long as you hold in the B button, and you can turn and jump while doing this too, but again: no special moves. Occasionally an afterimage will fly out from Joe to strike a nearby enemy for light, non-flinching damage (Fox's laser). When you exit this state, Joe's on fire for a short time (but only if you were Mach Speeding for more than 5 seconds), which deals very light damage on contact with an enemy, and prevents them from grabbing him.

Up+B: Zoom In - (Exactly the same)

Down+B: Ukemi - Normally, all this does is make Joe strike a heroic pose and spout a kickin' one-liner ("A man wears a scar as a medal!", "Let's rock baby, yeah!", "I'm Joe, Viewtiful Joe", "In movies, there always has to be a plot twist!"...or something), but if Joe's in a helpless state, and you use this just before landing on the ground, Joe goes into a recovery animation wherein he's invincible, and all the damage he's received that sent him into the helpless state is negated. At the end of the move, he "Viewtiful Forever's", sending out a small shockwave of cool to knock away enemies.

Final Smash: Great Six x Six Majin
- Joe summons his faithful vehicle, which, after taking him off the top of the screen, transforms into the Super Solar System Robot Six x Six Majin! It hangs out in the background, and the player can control it to pound its fists (damaging all grounded enemies), firing lasers from it's eyes (Tabuu), or sweeping its arms across the playing field (Isaac-esque effect).

Kiki52 said:
I also hope that if Nibris becomes a 2nd party of Nintendo by the time SSB4 is in the making (perhaps Sadness will be done by then, hopefully it won't be a Duke Nukem Forever job), that they should put Maria in there. Another good female character who hopefully doesn't use magic or a sword and hopefully has brunette hair rather than blonde all the time.
Alright, first of all, I doubt Sadness will ever come out. Secondly, you don't even know if this "Maria" character will be worth it. Thirdly, Sadness doesn't exactly seem like Smash Bros. material, y'know?

Oh, and as for the Paula thing...just ignore my opinion. I never really liked Paula to begin with, so I'm just totally biased on that particular subject. Poo ftw.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Nintendo wants to bring MOTHER 3 here because MOTHER 3's plot line is basically an attack on America and all things American.

New Pork City?
Pig Mask Army? (this is basically refering to Americans as Pigs)
Statue of Porky? When Lucas bombs it with a terroristic "New Years Eve Bomb" it is basically sending a message that seems reminicent of terrorism against the United States. It's like if a terrorist blows up the Statue of Liberty. In today's climate where there is Osama Bin Laden and the like, Nintendo wouldn't want to bring such an anti-American game like MOTHER 3 here.

As much as I love MOTHER 3, I don't think Nintendo would want to bring MOTHER 3 here because it is anti-American and it wouldn't do well in sales.

But I do think SSB4 though should have MOTHER 3 trophies of the Hot Dog sales man, Nana, Nan, Flint, Duster, etc. I'd want the trophies to explain how the Hot Dog sales man in MOTHER 3 is actually Ness after he got brainwashed by Pokey's "Good person" machine thing and that Nana is actually Paula, Nan might be Ana etc.

About Maria, I was just thinking it would be a good idea if Sadness does come out Maria should be there because she'd be a good contrast to the roster. Snake then wouldn't be "alone" in the category of realistic looking characters. But Maria I think should be in only if Sadness does come out and if Sadness is apart or bought by Nintendo. If she's gonna be 3rd party and not 2nd party or 2nd 1/2 party (like Geno) then no. Megaman or someone else would be a better 3rd party arrangement.

That's ok about the whole Paula thing. I just like Paula because she fights so embarassingly with a teddy bear, and she is highly religious and prays all the time so it'd infuriate players even more if she beats people who use Snake or Ike or some other bad*** person.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman

Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs

Stats (Out of 5)
Power: 3/5 (About Pit's or Pika's Strength)
Speed: 4/5 (Gibbs is actually very fast in the show)
Weight: 4/5 (Heavier than Mario)
Range: 3/5 (Mario's Range for HtH, but has Projectiles)

Moveset:

A: Gibbs throws a punch - 4% (Very little knockback)
A A: Gibbs follows back with his elbow - 4% (very little knockback)
A A A: Gibbs knees the opponent in the gut and sends them flying - 5% (Moderate knockback, similar to Mario's standard Jab Combo)

Ftilt: Gibbs kicks forward (Ganon style, same range, less power, faster) - 11% (Good knockback)
Utilt: If opponent is above Gibbs at the time this attack is executed, it will drag them down and throw them on the floor (similar to Snakes FThrow) - 8% (Same Knockback as Snakes FThrow)
Dtilt: Gibbs kneels and trips the opponents legs with a leg kick (Like Sonics) - 9% (Can chain twice, second hit in succession hits very far with half damage)

Nair: Gibbs pulls out his 9mm and fires multiple shots in a 270 Degree arc. If close enough, each shot can hit an opponent. At longer distances, the shots spread out but deal more damage - 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3% (Close) - 7% (Far)
Fair: Gibbs does a Scissor Kick - 6% First Hit, 7% Second (No knockback on the first hit, moderate on the second)
Bair: Gibbs does a Captain Falcon-esque Bair with just as good knockback - 9%
Uair: Gibbs fires a single shot straight up, low lag, quick attack, continuous Uairs can be shot rapidly - 10%
Dair: S-S-S-S-SPIKE! Gibbs does a Zelda Spike. Not as difficult to hit with however - 7%

FSmash: Ziva David appears and fires a well placed head shot - 17% (High chance of tripping/knocking over)
USmash: Gibbs does a Fox/Falco back flip - 15%
DSmash: Tony Dinozzo and Tim McGee appear on either side protecting Gibbs and each fire a shot straight ahead - 16% (Olimar DSmash knockback)

Neutral Special: 9mm Shot - 3%
Forward Neutral: Gibbs pulls out a M240 and fires 5 shots, this can be angled up or down - 4%, 3%, 2%, 1%, 1%
Down Special: Gibbs pulls out his Sniper Rifle, The Bravo 51, and aims. B must be held down. Can be angled up or down. Much like Dedede's Down B, the longer the charge, the greater the damage - 14% Uncharged, 17% 2 Second Charge, 22% 5 Second Charge, 30% 10 Second Charge
Up Special: Abby and Ducky appear and help propel Gibbs upwards. - 14% (About Marth's recovery distance)

Grab Attack: Gibbs does Classic Head Slap - 3%
FThrow: Leg sweep and throw down forward - 6%
BThrow: Suplex backwards - 7%
DThrow: Gibbs throws the opponent down and knees them (Think Ike) - 8%
UThrow: Gibbs simply throws them upwards - 6%

There.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
@ Chief Mendez

As I said, my main con is just there being baby version of certain characters. robosteven said something pretty interesting though. Masked Link would be awesome. He certainly wouldn't be a baby version anymore considering the form changing abilities from the masks.

Up B still being a recovery move, while the other B attacks becomes mask switching. Goron Zora and Deku, with the FD form being his FS, granting him huge range and power, in addition to the energy disc attack. There should be something similar to PT's stamina system to make it balanced.

MM is a pretty old game so sadly we will probably never see this happening. I mean, the latest Links were TP and WW.... :(

The powerup character...... Maybe Deoxys? It has different forms for speed, power, etc iirc.

I agree with the part about switchable weapons. It would give Smash a lot of extra options to differentiate one Wolf from another Wolf, but would be very time consuming for devs.

awlccl123

Smash Apprentice
But I do think SSB4 though should have MOTHER 3 trophies of the Hot Dog sales man, Nana, Nan, Flint, Duster, etc. I'd want the trophies to explain how the Hot Dog sales man in MOTHER 3 is actually Ness after he got brainwashed by Pokey's "Good person" machine thing and that Nana is actually Paula, Nan might be Ana etc.
Good person machine?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Kiki52 said:
I don't think Nintendo wants to bring MOTHER 3 here because MOTHER 3's plot line is basically an attack on America and all things American.

New Pork City?
Pig Mask Army? (this is basically refering to Americans as Pigs)
Statue of Porky? When Lucas bombs it with a terroristic "New Years Eve Bomb" it is basically sending a message that seems reminicent of terrorism against the United States. It's like if a terrorist blows up the Statue of Liberty. In today's climate where there is Osama Bin Laden and the like, Nintendo wouldn't want to bring such an anti-American game like MOTHER 3 here.

As much as I love MOTHER 3, I don't think Nintendo would want to bring MOTHER 3 here because it is anti-American and it wouldn't do well in sales.
Oh please. A) It's a 2D jRPG. B) There's no blood or sex in it. C) It definitely isn't well-known enough to get the media attention that would lead to problems about any uncomfortable tones.

Really, the mainstream media only cares about how controversial a game is if it does exceedingly well in sales. Grand Theft Auto is in no way as violent as the God of War games, and yet, how many stories have you read about how Kratos is corrupting America's children?

And again, it's 2D, so unless you actually play the game (which the ESRB doesn't even do), you won't see those anti-American overtones.

About Maria, I was just thinking it would be a good idea if Sadness does come out Maria should be there because she'd be a good contrast to the roster. Snake then wouldn't be "alone" in the category of realistic looking characters. But Maria I think should be in only if Sadness does come out and if Sadness is apart or bought by Nintendo. If she's gonna be 3rd party and not 2nd party or 2nd 1/2 party (like Geno) then no. Megaman or someone else would be a better 3rd party arrangement.
I'm all for that: including another "real-world" character...I just don't think a generic 19th century woman who doesn't really fight anything fits the bill.

If we're going for realistic videogame characters whose games take place in real world locations, then why not:

Takamaru?
Resident Evil characters (Ada Wong, Leon Kennedy)?
Mach Rider?
Ouendan/EBA?
Final Fantasy characters (...uh, yeah.)?

globiumz said:
robosteven said something pretty interesting though. Masked Link would be awesome. He certainly wouldn't be a baby version anymore considering the form changing abilities from the masks.
We went over this a good few pages back, and I think the generally accepted conclusion was that A) That's four movesets for one character, B) Majora's Mask is a pretty old game, and C) loading issues (think about how vulnerable Samus is when she turns into Zamus (or Zelda into Sheik)--now have three of a character's special moves do that, and you have a hobbled fighter).

Though I do like the idea of a character shifting forms with his/her/its special moves. Which is where I like Deoxys: his specials would only slightly change his appearance (pointier head, thicker shoulders, etc.), but would greatly change his properties: quicker movement and faster (and lighter) attacks, slower and heavier, more powerful and lighter, etc. He wouldn't actually gain any new moves, just different stats.

...Order-Sol for SSB4, though. :)

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Sorry bout the masked Link business, didn't read the whole thread. But if they can't make Toon Link different in appearance (except for cell shading), then I rather not have him in. Other characters can jump in for him. We have three other fast and light swordsmen already (Pit, MK, Marth) and moar can be added if necessary..

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Sorry bout the masked Link business, didn't read the whole thread. But if they can't make Toon Link different in appearance (except for cell shading), then I rather not have him in. Other characters can jump in for him. We have three other fast and light swordsmen already (Pit, MK, Marth) and moar can be added if necessary..
I actually think Marth and Pit are more medium-class, but hey.

I don't quite understand this line: "if they can't make Toon Link different in appearance (except for cell shading)". He already looks completely different than Link, and his moveset is varied as much as it should be. I do think in SSB4 he should have lighter attacks, and maybe have one of his specials changed, but that's about it.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
What I'm trying to say is that I want a diverse cast, that's all. To me, Tink is to Link like Baby Mario and Luigi are to adult Mario and Luigi in Mario Kart. Regardless of different shading techniques and textures, they still wear similar clothes, have similar weapons, have a similar style.

Try to compare Link to G&W, in looks. You just can't. Different art direction (Like Tink to Link), different textures, different shapes, different weapons, and so on. That's why I hope they kick out either Tink or Link in the next smash and put in someone else.

BTW, the reason I consider Marth and Pit to be 'fast' is actually due to their quick striking speed, not their movement speed. I only think like this for sword user though. ;)

superman969

Smash Journeyman
I second the Smash Bros. DS idea. I mean, I hope they'd make another huge console one, but it'd still be awesome.

So long as the touch screen has almost nothing to do with fighting, then I'm good with it

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I second the Smash Bros. DS idea. I mean, I hope they'd make another huge console one, but it'd still be awesome.

So long as the touch screen has almost nothing to do with fighting, then I'm good with it
An SSB DS would be hard to pull off though. Maybe the touch screen could play a part in Final Smashes.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
@ Chief Mendez

Maria from Sadness does fight. In this early video, she shows that she uses a piece of glass to slash this monster, and uses a farming rake in another part of the video to stab at some other dying monster.

I'd only want Maria in SSB4 if Nintendo would get her in for free and not have to pay licensing for her otherwise it'd be a waste. She'd add to the game only if she is free, otherwise she'd detract from it that it's better she wouldn't be in at all if Nintendo has to pay 3rd party licensing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNjyw-D1YP0&feature=related

But I think I would like Takamaru. I don't really consider him a "realistic" character but more like an in-between a cartoony cute one (Kirby, Jiggs) and a realistic one (Snake). Takamaru would fit in the semi-realistic one, who seems more like an anime-ish type quality (Marth, Ike). I think Takamaru would be great, the only thing going against him is that he uses a sword and people would say "NO MOAR SWORDS!" and he would possibly be in the way of Lyn but I rather take Takararu over Lyn.

No Final Fantasy characters though, that wouldn't be good. And I think Megaman would get in first as Capcom's 3rd party rep.

-----------------------

One crazy idea I had for SSB4 is they should allow you to put giant sized trophies on custom stages, that'd act as part of the stage. So you should be able to fight on top of a giant sized Mario if you wanted to, and it'd be like Pokefloats stage from Melee except you can choose which trophy to use. It'd add an interesting dimension for trophies and they'd do more than just sit there to look at and look pretty.

Another idea is allow all music from the game that you unlock to be played in ANY STAGE. That means you should have Earthbound/MOTHER 2 (Smiles and Tears) in a Zelda stage or a Warioware music in a Metriod stage, or any combination of music on Final Destination. Do you think that would be a good idea? If you have a list of potential music you have, you should also be able to use that music online so other people who haven't unlocked that music can hear a random toon every time they enter Final Destination depending on whose idea it was chosen.

They also need to bring back MOTHER 2/Earthbound lost tracks from Brawl. Sakurai took it out when he used company money to compose it. That is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen Sakurai do. Even if some of the music is slow paced and somewhat sad, then those players should choose not to play it on the stage but don't remove it. If the people who chooses that stage chooses to play Smiles and Tears or Because I Love You in Final Destination and it seems to 'slow' to you then either get used to it or turn off the volume on your remote control.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
globiumz said:
What I'm trying to say is that I want a diverse cast, that's all. To me, Tink is to Link like Baby Mario and Luigi are to adult Mario and Luigi in Mario Kart. Regardless of different shading techniques and textures, they still wear similar clothes, have similar weapons, have a similar style.

Try to compare Link to G&W, in looks. You just can't. Different art direction (Like Tink to Link), different textures, different shapes, different weapons, and so on. That's why I hope they kick out either Tink or Link in the next smash and put in someone else.
I sympathize with you, really I do. If it were feasible, I'd choose to replace all the clones with unique characters in a heartbeat. But precedents show this is not the case. What it basically comes down to is that you can either have clones, or just have less characters. And besides, certain characters make sense as clones (see: Falco, Luigi, Wolf, Toon Link, etc.). The only ones in Brawl that kind of don't make total sense are Lucas and Ganondorf (Ganon much moreso).

Really, the only gripe of yours that holds water is the aesthetic one. I can understand not liking having two "Links" in the game, but really, the characters play differently enough to warrant their co-existence.

superman969 said:
Someone's obviously never played (or even heard of) the Jump Stars games. They're basically Smash Bros., only on the DS and with Shonen Jump characters rather than Nintendo ones.

Anyway, in those games, you arrange comic panels of various characters on the bottom screen, then tap said panels during gameplay to call forth that character--either to switch to that character, to call him/her out fora one-shot attack, or to activate a small effect. And Nintendo has some rights in this system, as they published the games in Japan...

So imagine Smash Bros.on the DS: you can arrange stickers on the touchscreen, then tap them during gameplay to summon that character...

Go look through your sticker collection in Brawl and tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

(Or, like SklyerOcon said, the touch screen could--and probably would--be used to activate and implement Final Smashes. The point is, don't rule out the touchscreen entirely!)

Kiki52 said:
Maria from Sadness does fight. In this early video, she shows that she uses a piece of glass to slash this monster, and uses a farming rake in another part of the video to stab at some other dying monster.
...A shard of glass...and a rake. Hm.

Sorry, I remain unconvinced. It still seems like a bad idea to me.

Anyways, as for Takamaru: Smash oddly lacks a samurai, so I don't think the sword thing would be an issue. Either him or Lyn, yes, and I'd prefer Takamaru too.

One crazy idea I had for SSB4 is they should allow you to put giant sized trophies on custom stages, that'd act as part of the stage. So you should be able to fight on top of a giant sized Mario if you wanted to, and it'd be like Pokefloats stage from Melee except you can choose which trophy to use. It'd add an interesting dimension for trophies and they'd do more than just sit there to look at and look pretty.

Another idea is allow all music from the game that you unlock to be played in ANY STAGE. That means you should have Earthbound/MOTHER 2 (Smiles and Tears) in a Zelda stage or a Warioware music in a Metriod stage, or any combination of music on Final Destination. Do you think that would be a good idea? If you have a list of potential music you have, you should also be able to use that music online so other people who haven't unlocked that music can hear a random toon every time they enter Final Destination depending on whose idea it was chosen.
The trophy-stage thing isn't a half-bad thought, actually.

Now, I hated PokeFloats as well as those stupid Event Matches where you fought on top of the trophy you were to win upon completion...but it'd provide some variety, at least. Although that said, if the stage builder gets the upgrades it should, there really wouldn't be any use for such a feature. Maybe you could decorate the background with trophies from your collection (which you could resize at will, of course).

And I disagree about the music. I think it'd be fine to let you play any music from your collection in generic stages like Battlefield, Final Destination, and any Custom Stage, but I think it's best to keep the franchises aurally segregated. It should, however, be changed so I can play any Zelda music on any Zelda stage, however.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
An SSB DS would be hard to pull off though. Maybe the touch screen could play a part in Final Smashes.
They had a 64 one, why not DS? DS has better hardware, amirite?

touch screen would probably used for FS, but hopefully nothing else, or it would kinda suck

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Touch screen uses:

Final Smashes
Item throw/shot direction

That's about it. Anything else?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They had a 64 one, why not DS? DS has better hardware, amirite?

touch screen would probably used for FS, but hopefully nothing else, or it would kinda suck
Well, it would mainly be a character space issue. You would have to decrease the amount of characters.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Touch screen uses:

Final Smashes
Item throw/shot direction

That's about it. Anything else?
Assist Trophies.

When you pick one up, it goes to the bottom screen. You can hold one at a time, and use it whenever you want to by tapping the icon on the touchscreen. Basically the same way you can store an item for later use in New Super Mario Bros.. This would also work for Pokemon, though both those and ATs might have to be nerfed slightly.

You'd also display each character's percentages on the bottom screen, to keep the top screen cleaner. You could keep the timer on top though.

Uh...oh, you know what? The timer and your percentage would be on the top screen, while the four quadrants of the bottom screen would be taken up with your opponents' meters and the AT/Pokeball/Final Smash button.

Also, because there's no screen sharing, the camera wouldn't have to pan out when distance becomes too great. So now you'd actually be able to play in New Pork City. :chuckle:

KumaOso said:
Well, it would mainly be a character space issue. You would have to decrease the amount of characters.
Yeah, less-relevant characters would have to be cut (Wolf, Toon Link, Zamus, R.O.B., and so on), but if they were to add two to four new, DS-exclusive fighters and DS-centric features (8-16 player wireless battles, microphone+Wispy Woods, etc.), I'd buy it.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
A) better advnture mode, with a better story and gameplay
B) a bit faster and less floaty, take out tripping
c) no more clones
d) new characters, though i doubt anyone most people want would make the cut
e)better stage builder with options like water or more backgrounds
d)improved online interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom