• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
K.Rool and Isaac were on that journal too, you know. They had 2 votes. And Geno had 4 votes, not five.

That means Sakurai is likely to choose Ridley, Krystal, Geno (if he can snag the third party rights), Takumaru as a WTF character to some, Megaman (if he can get rights from Capcom, which won't be hard, as they have said before that Nintendo could ask them to include him), and K.Rool and Isaac (whose popularity will probably rise by the time there is another poll, and they could still be picked off this one).
I know, I was just listing the people who had been listed more than twice and Megaman since he was the only third party character that was mentioned more than once (besides Geno). If I remember right, these were the characters that were mentioned twice:

1. Animal Crossing Boy
2. Lip
3. King K. Rool
4. Demille/Deimru (from Tomato Adventure)
5. Balloon Fighter
6. Golden Sun character (Isaac had one entry and Felix had one entry but there was a request for any Golden Sun character so it would most likely go to either of them)
7. Diddy and Dixie as a team
8. Black Shadow (from F-Zero X and beyond)
9. Sigurd (from the SNES Fire Embelm game, I forgot what it was called...)
10. Jeff (from Earthbound)
12. Professer Kawashima (from Brain Age)
13. Lucas (from Mother 3)
14. Claus (from Mother 3)
15. Sukapon (from Joy Mech Fight)
16. Cheer Group (from Osu! Takadae! Ouendan! ie; the Japanese version of Elite Beat Agents)

And yes, Geno had 5 entries and I was the person who discovered this. Behold! (original Japanese/literal English translation/English summarization)

No.14
ニックネーム及びHiGe 反射の貢献の主題* 特性に関する…ほとんどの第1 ハンマーか。それは???? とある事。あなたのによる、それが??????? RPG は. 非常に興味のその時間の友人に...... 借りるCM を、見てようである方法が...... 方法のそれを戻すことを確信していたをよくそれはあなたのによってとるに足らない事を、非常に好むそのゲームを取っておいた。ゲームの元の特性の精神が存在するところそ、否人形およびGee の中で。年少の心では、それは反射との彼に非常にとどまった。その時に販売がそれ小学校学生だったので、自由にする時があった。そのために、それまたであることは......, それが終りの悲しい意味決してでないが、ところに速いそうなったものであるために待たれている単にちょうど小さく寂しい分離非常に取り除く。次の仕事があったら、考え、それ確かに、それであることはGee の否に会うことができるが、... 速いので、それを既に渡す時間はよい年齢になった、(確かに笑うことにこのアンケート、覚えなかったどちらかGee の否の事を、おそらくそうであるなかった。アンケートに答えている間、多分する及び... 少しを期待しているちょうどちょうど会うことができる時あるどうか、それ増加するない、

No.14 Nickname & HiGe The reflection contribution theme * concerning the character Most first the hammer っ it is with マリオシリーズ the thing. In case by your, that was スーパーマリオ RPG. Seeing CM, very borrowing to the friend of that time with interest...... certain, you have forgotten to return it seems the way that way...... Well it sets aside trivial thing, by your very you like that game. Even among them, the doll and the Gee no where game original character soul resides. In juvenile mind, it stayed in him with the reflection very. Because sale at that time it was the elementary school student, freely there was a time when you play. Because of that, being also it clears to be quick extremely, simply just a little lonesome separation where but......, it is not never sad meaning in the ending, waited. If the next work was, being to think, that certainly and it can meet to the Gee no, it does, but because... it is quick, time to pass already it became good age, (laughing certainly did not have this questionnaire, you did not remember either the thing of the Gee no, probably will be. While answering to the questionnaire, when perhaps it does and it can meet, that... just just you expecting a little, whether it is it is not, it increases,

This person wants Geno in Brawl because Super Mario RPG was his favorite game growing up and he first played it in Kindergarten. He was very sad that Geno went back up into the heavens at the end of SMRPG and didn't appear in the following RPG, Paper Mario. He says that it is a good time to bring him back. He finishes by basically saying to Sakurai, "since you're such a nice guy, I bet Geno's already in the game and you're just not telling us." (God love him for saying it. )
第86
ニックネーム及び初め反射の貢献の主題* 特性の初めに関する…! か。どれがか。か。か。であるか。新たな業務それはあり、刺激された! ! 反射はへのか。か。か。、概念ととゲームから... か。か。言うところか。私が否Gee を...! 愛するRPG! Gee の否のライン配置回転及び技術及び。非常にあるのは椅子の来ることである。_ 最初演劇時間未熟幼稚園子供(!) あ、しかし今既にそれあ高等学校学生。は均一にのためにそれゲーム渡った多くか10 年は好み時折あなたがしたあることがである。か。カシはが、よく理解しないで、傷つく感じでする今それとのそれ全然異なっているある、考えないか。する。また... 非常に楽しいことを理解される達されるGee の否ポイントの魅力から、* それが人形のおよび/または、真実を言うことは星のメッセンジャーのとき、"干し草真実を言う否はない! "それは単語であるか。か。か。か。cuteness 、(笑う) 及び... ED を強制する少しビットkana 。それの再度青いふた! 生産は、^ ^ 辛抱するか。楽しまれたかどれが!

No. 86 Nickname & beginning The reflection contribution theme * concerning the character Beginning! The っ which is the スマブラ new work it is and has been excited! ! The reflection to キャラ, with with the notion that where you say... from game and マリオ RPG which I love the Gee no...! ! Lines turning and skill and setting of Gee no. It is the chair coming which very is. First play time immature kindergarten child (!) Was, but now already it is the high school student. 10 years or more it passed to be even to, it is favorite the game which occasionally you have played. The む oak does, without understanding well, doing in feeling, hurting, but now you do with it is different at all, it is, don't you think?. Also from charm of the Gee no reached the point where it is understood... it is very delightful, is, * the no no to tell the truth it is the doll and/or, to tell the truth is the messenger of the star when, "the hay! "It is word っ ちゃ う cuteness, (laughing) and... little bit kana forcing ED. That, blue mantle again! Production, please persevere ^ ^ the っ which has been enjoyed!

Here's another person who grew up with Super Mario RPG and also discovered it when he was in Kindergarten. He's now in high school but it is still his favorite game and he still breaks it out every once and a while. He comments that "like an oak tree, his love for the game grows with each passing year." He then talks about what he likes about Geno and how he wishes to see him return.

第247 ニックネーム及び海きゅうりの貢献の主題及び左右される等。既に偽りなく頼む。考えるこれは10 の手紙の構成として示された。"要求Gee 消すこと! "そして好みあなたが書く飲料。好みの飲料: か。か。か。か。

No. 247 Nickname & sea cucumber Contribution theme & depending etc. You ask already truly. This thinking was designated as 10 letter compositions. "The request Gee no putting out! " Then favorite the beverage you write. Favorite beverage: アンバサ

This one's a bit odd. This guy requests Geno but, to avoid having his entry to be too short for submission, he asks Sakurai what his favorite drink is and then tells him his.

第268
ニックネーム及びか。か。か。反射の貢献の主題* 今日特性に関する…、始まるか。あなたが既に即座に揺り動かされたこのページは発見される! ! いいえか。私は前か。か。か。ゲームで愛する第1 べきべきするか。今まで。その毎日はそれをした。両方ともか。か。か。と考える、それ素晴しい段階、映画および音楽は可能、ある。か。か。か。のでか。あなたが私、弟および姉妹のまわりになかったり、または1 人と増加されておよび、あなたは全然疲れている育たなかったが友人。1 人と愉快に遊ぶことができる考察はそれを病気かぐこのゲームの量あるべきであるである。私は疲れさせた、大抵する、ゲームをすぐ、それある育つ。ためにこれのために全然疲れている育たない。考えるべきでそれがむしろそれを作るそのそのようなゲームは困難である、作られる... Sakurai! それは良識の恐ろしい人、(笑う) か。か。でありか。氷のクライマーの第1 反射はある。それである氷のクライマーは知っているずっと普及したべきべきであるが、... 決して美しくない...! そう! いつか。か。か。か。か。か。か。勝利、それ何かの時にある密な美しいが触れた! ! 使用することを試みる時そしてそれ何か強い! ! ! それはいつ1 人されたり、弱いボディが、空気の側面の動き遅い、しかし停止がある欠点か。か。か。その強い?? が感じること技術はそれがよかったことを決定される! ! 、I か。か。か。のでか。主題はあった。ことそれはおそらく勝つ????, の弟の孤に絶望的がある、か。か。か。技術は... ほとんどそれであるために胸のカシを勝つことができ結局、点検しが、(笑う) それから辛抱したそれと断念するべきであるか。か。か。か。か。それらがそれが詰まらせるそれは形態、声か。か。か。美しいとの聞くことを望み源であるのでここにに私を引っ張るためにはか。X, はある。前の効率か。か。か。か。個人は完全に同じ、しかし各自またでありではなかった。か。効率が異なっている精巧にという事実はおかしいそうか。考えて、それがいかに増加するか。か。、ところで新しいか。か。か。Gee の否そして参加をのか。か。望む。既に、また10 年は、CM 渡るかまたはまだ物語か音楽を忘れることができない均等になっている。2 つが独特な人々および特性および技術であるので加わることができるときむしろ楽しむことができると考える。長い文のimpoliteness それは。それからボディに注意を... 払う

No. 268 Nickname & マユミ The reflection contribution theme * concerning the character Today, beginning? This page you were already agitated instantaneously is discovered! ! No せ I do 1st being to love in the game which previous スマデラ did until now. That everyday did that. You think that both キャラ, stage, the movie and music it is splendid it is possible and is. Because スマデラ the friend who does was not around me, the younger brothers and sisters you do, or did increased with 1 person and, but you did not grow tired at all. The consideration which can be played pleasantly even with 1 person, is quantity in this game, ill-smelling it is being to be. I grow tired the game doing, mostly, immediately, it is. So as for this you do not grow tired at all. Being to think, that such game it makes rather it is difficult, it does, but Sakurai made that...! It is the fearful person in good sense, (laughing) キャラ is the 1st reflection in the ice climber. The ice climber being it has been popular being to have known, it does, but... never it is lovely so...! ! When ポポナナ パンッ has touched at the time of victory, it is dense lovely something! ! When and it tries using, it is strong something! ! ! When 1 person it is done, there is a weak point that the weak body, aerial side movement is slow, but the stop っ ちゃ feeling where that intense スマッシュ skill is decided it was good! ! Because, I アイクラ was subject. That it probably will win the fox of the younger brother with アイクラ, being desperate, コンボ skill inspects the bosom oak to be... almost it could not win after all, but (laughing) even then it is to abandon with it has persevered? アイクラ to pull me to here, because they are the sources whom it makes be packed, and that the form, voice would like to hear lovely even with スマブラ X, is. Efficiency of the previous ポポナナ individual completely was the same, but each one also っ て the fact that efficiency is different delicately is funny so? How thinking, it increases. The あ, by the way new キャラ desires the Gee no and the participation of マロ. Already, also 10 years pass, but CM or not yet even cannot forget the story or music. Because 2 are people and character and skill unique, when it can participate, you think that it can enjoy rather. The long sentence impoliteness it does. Then paying attention to the body...

Most of this entry talks about why this guy loves the Ice Climbers but let's get past that. Near the end, this person requests Geno and Mallow and says that despite how many years have gone by, he/she cannot forget the game's story or music because he/she enjoyed it so much. This person then mentions that Geno and Mallow would be very unique characters and that many people would enjoy them if they were added.

第276
ニックネーム及び???? は貢献の主題* 加わられたSakurai がある皆全員を挿入する望まれる開発への音楽、及び。非常に今日。おそらくいかにありなさいか開発か。私達はではゲームで使用されるそれらに関しては音楽に関しては1 芸術であるとそれがによってライスケーキの残りの夜通しであるが、それそうである考えるゲームに必要であるところで、向かう! ゲームに関しては、????, は1 冊の本へのNintendo Co. の蓄積。すなわち、Nintendo Co. 音楽の1 冊の本への蓄積がある前述の場合もある理由がないか。第一世代、DX 、および新たな業務のX 。彼のによって行う印象づけられた傷つくことはのそれあらゆる????. とする主要な主題ただそれは耳としてX をけれども示すことができるがこの1 つの調子であり、他の、それある震えた! それがそれなるかいかに、ないあるであることを開発が本格的に進むとき既に、知っていた。よく、むしろ事は印象と運転する。すべての平均によって、すべての人々、私達は印象の破損がそれ可能である一種の音楽を要求する! 個人的にそれはである?? の森林のBGM "のか。か。か。"carefulness が森林のきのこにそれあれば、" 楽しいべきであるRPG "非常に、それ、考えないがか。しかしそれが事実であるので、... ことそれはまたである????, の版権はそれは不合理である; 否Gee が加われば、よく確かに! (Excessiveness ここの更新そう1 つの時間の閉鎖及び開発にすね捧げる。皆! 新しい世界は楽しまれる! 辛抱しなさい!

No. 276 Nickname & マリオマスター Contribution theme * the music which is wanted inserting All everyone who has participated Sakurai, and to development. Very today. Will development how probably be? In we head, as for the music which is used in the game, as for those where it is necessary for the game it is the rice cake remaining overnight, but you think that they are one fine arts, it is! As for the game, スマブラ, the Nintendo Co. compilation into one book. In other words, there is no reason which even compilation into one book of the Nintendo Co. music can be said is? X of first generation, DX, and new work. By his is impressed hurting, it does with any スマブラ. Only main theme it can designate X yet as the ear, but it is this one tune, and others, you shivered, it is! Already, when development advances in earnest, you knew it is it is not, how it becomes, is. Well, rather thing please drive out with impression. By all means, all people, we request the kind of music which the impression tear it is possible! Privately it is BGM of the forest of ハナチャン "of マリオ RPG", if "carefulness it is in the mushroom of the forest," being to be delightful enormously, it does, but don't you think? but..., because that is the case that it is also the copyright of スクエニ, it is unreasonable; Well, if the Gee no participates, certainly! (Excessiveness The renewal here it devotes to one time closing and development so the shank. Everyone! The new world is enjoyed! Please persevere!

Here's another long one. This person comments on how wonderful Brawl's opening theme was and how he is blown away about how much potential this game has musically. He then requests the background music of Forest Maze in Super Mario RPG, "Beware the Poison Mushrooms." He mentions how he's concerned that it won't make the cut because it is under the copyright of Square Enix. He then suggests that because it'd be pointless to contact SE just for that piece of music, why not ask for Geno while they're at it?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Ridley was already in there as a boss. I still think that size matters despite Olimar realistically being the size of a nickel. Squirtle/Ivysaur/Chairzard/Pikachu/Jigglypuff/Lucario also being a factor. I don't think the Pokedex intends for all Pokemon of the same species to be the exact same size even though it has the weight and size of all Pokemon. Olimar doesn't have to be compared to another character from the same game like Ridley would to Samus.

For that I only have one word: Bowser.

Bowser has changed size so many times that there's no telling about how big he actually is.

Also, come on, this is a game where absolutely different game universes clash into each other, where Mario is fighting Captain Falcon in Hyrule while Peach wipes the floor with Ganondorf in Norfair.
There's nothing impossible, since the game itself is absolutely odd.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
For that I only have one word: Bowser.

Bowser has changed size so many times that there's no telling about how big he actually is.

Also, come on, this is a game where absolutely different game universes clash into each other, where Mario is fighting Captain Falcon in Hyrule while Peach whipes the floor with Ganondorf in Norfair.
There's nothing impossible, since the game itself is absolutely odd.
With that logic, it's basically alluding to allowing Lip being Ganondof's size, because the game is 'odd'.

Bowser's inconsistency doesn't say much. His size changes all the time in the actual seires. I can't picture anything being bigger than Bowser in Smash, and having Ridley, who is consistently bigger than Samus roughly being the size of Charizard(?) doesn't seem 'right'.

As it is already, Ridley's size was overwhelming in Brawl like he is in the Metroid video games. Perhaps that was the reason he was a boss instead of a playable character?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Awesome find, Fatmanonice! I've always seen Geno with 4 votes, maybe the incorrect ones didn't count the one with the guy asking about Sakurai's favorite drink?

BTW, do you have any other Japanese character request translations?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
With that logic, it's basically alluding to allowing Lip being Ganondof's size, because the game is 'odd'.

Bowser's inconsistency doesn't say much. His size changes all the time in the actual seires. I can't picture anything being bigger than Bowser in Smash, and having Ridley, who is consistently bigger than Samus roughly being the size of Charizard(?) doesn't seem 'right'.

As it is already, Ridley's size was overwhelming in Brawl like he is in the Metroid video games. Perhaps that was the reason he was a boss instead of a playable character?
You also have to see the oppisite side.

Chars like olimar, kirby,Rob are all very small. So small that there 16th or less the size of mario. Does that seem 'Right"?

-:bowser:Bowser King

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There is something else I'd like to mention. AT GDC 08, Sakurai also mentioned that some first part properties could not be included to copyright issues. In the "polls", Geno was listed as a first party character despite being Square property.

Another thing that should be noted is that one of the scrapped song files found on the disc is implied to be the Forest Maze song from Super Mario RPG.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
You also have to see the oppisite side.

Chars like olimar, kirby,Rob are all very small. So small that there 16th or less the size of mario. Does that seem 'Right"?

-:bowser:Bowser King
I just stated that those characters don't have to be compared to another character from the same game, with the exception of Kirby. Kirby seems the to be the appropriate size compared to King Dedede.

Having Ridley stand toe to toe with Samus, not towering over her doesn't seem 'right'.

Every character seems proportional to the rest of their co-stars from the games.

KumaOso said:
Another thing that should be noted is that one of the scrapped song files found on the disc is implied to be the Forest Maze song from Super Mario RPG.
Not too sure on this, either I missed it or it was never really verified.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not too sure on this, either I missed it or it was never really verified.
I was trying to find the original list name, but I couldn't find it. I think it was Mushroom Forrest. That can be applied to two possible games: M&L: PiT or SMRPG.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps, but I think the correct name of the song is Rawest Forest, unless the direct translation suggests it.

I just had an idea instead of my previous Air Grappling idea, to have everyone have a functional Z-Air technique instead of just dodging for most other characters.

It's sad that Lucas' Z-Air/Tether Recovery isn't really a Z-Air, but Link and Samus' is.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I've been one of those who ripped the song files and the data alongside it, and all I can say is that there was a file with listing all (shortened) song names, and among the Mario songs, there was one which was called "Mushroom Forest". Now, this can apply to several things, and doesn't necessarily mean that it was the SMRPG song.

The stuff which definitely was cut due to copyright issues was one of the MOTHER songs (Hippie Battle, I think), because the first few chords are from a copyrighted song.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Awesome find, Fatmanonice! I've always seen Geno with 4 votes, maybe the incorrect ones didn't count the one with the guy asking about Sakurai's favorite drink?

BTW, do you have any other Japanese character request translations?
That's probably the case. Regarding other character request translations, I do not have them with me on my laptop. They are on my PC at home which is about 150 miles away. :laugh: Maybe I can upload them when I go back home for Thanksgiving.

Regarding Ridley, I still believe he deserves a playable spot in Smash Bros. He killed Samus's parents and destroyed her homeworld; the relationship between him and Samus represents the deepest bitter rivalry in gaming and I think this should be brought to the stage of Smash Bros. About his size, I still don't think it would be that big of an issue especially when:

1. he started off only slightly bigger than Samus.
2. Bowser has changed sizes a ton of times in the past too.
3. both Bowser and Donkey Kong were increased in size between Melee to Brawl.
4. other fighting games have had characters larger than most of the cast that still worked and weren't completely broken.

If Ridley was half-to a whole head larger than Bowser, I don't think there would be an issue. There's always the option of giving him handicaps too. For example, maybe his attacks become slower as he takes more damage or he stays stunned longer after taking hits once he reaches a certain percentage. For this to work, people need to start looking at the issue in different dimensions instead of picturing Ridley as his boss form in Brawl.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Ridley, I still believe he deserves a playable spot in Smash Bros. He killed Samus's parents and destroyed her homeworld; the relationship between him and Samus represents the deepest bitter rivalry in gaming and I think this should be brought to the stage of Smash Bros. About his size, I still don't think it would be that big of an issue especially when:

1. he started off only slightly bigger than Samus.
2. Bowser has changed sizes a ton of times in the past too.
3. both Bowser and Donkey Kong were increased in size between Melee to Brawl.
4. other fighting games have had characters larger than most of the cast that still worked and weren't completely broken.

If Ridley was half-to a whole head larger than Bowser, I don't think there would be an issue. There's always the option of giving him handicaps too. For example, maybe his attacks become slower as he takes more damage or he stays stunned longer after taking hits once he reaches a certain percentage. For this to work, people need to start looking at the issue in different dimensions instead of picturing Ridley as his boss form in Brawl.
I suppose my argument is driven off people suspecting him being in Brawl when Sakurai clearly stated-- "The biggest and the heaviest of fighters, Bowser..."

Bowser just seems to fit the picture of him always being the biggest character on the roster.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, Bowser is pretty big and heavy. Consider the fact that Bowser is pretty bulky, while Ridley is nothing more than skin and bones.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
I'd consider wingspan, tail, and height being part of size as well. He would be skin and bones, but still a pretty big target.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Well if heaviest is taken, what else can big mean?

I'm just going by what seems that they use Bowser to set the size limit.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I think that Tyrogue would make an interesting character and great rep for 2nd gen Pokemon.
I have a movelist for him, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post in here (I didn't post it in
Make Your Move because it isn't developed well XD).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ridley would probably be about the same weight as ROB if he were made playable in order to keep things balanced. Also, when Sakurai was refering to the biggest character, he was talking about the cast of Brawl, not future installments.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Perhaps, but I think the correct name of the song is Rawest Forest, unless the direct translation suggests it.
Rawest Forest is the name of fan song which uses the Forest Maze song as its base.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
@the Ridley size argument: Watch the intro to melee. Ridley wasn't too large in that animation. Second, about Ridley always being larger than Samus: Samus's size was greatly increased between Melee and Brawl. If Samus's size was reduced back to Melee proportions, then Ridley would fit without looking awkward.

Video evidence of Samus's size increase for disbelievers (and for convenience):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV7Gz2VGCek (Brawl)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWizodwe88k (Melee)

@Spadefox: You just earned a cookie (and my respect) for acknowledging that a character you don't like could get in. Thank you for not being like 95% of the internet population.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Seems as if I have to clear up Ridley's representation in the Melee intro... again.

Seems reasonable here, right?

And here too, right?

Well how about HERE, where Samus is blatantly shown overlapping part of the ENORMOUS Ridley?

The whole reason as to why so many of you believe him to be her size, if not a tad bit larger, is because of a perspective issue. The camera is placed very close to the ground, to where you cannot see much of the floor. That hides the distance between she and Ridley, which is actually about 8 to 10 feet. Pay attention to the video and you'll see.

Now, this post is not to debunk Ridley's possible inclusion, but it is definitely here to prove to you "but Ridley was playable size in the Melee intro!" people that quite frankly, HE WAS NOT.

Thank you.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
You know, Spire, I never actually looked really closely at the Melee intro until now. I think...Ridley actually does seem a lot bigger in there than I thought.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
...I'm not seeing it. *tries to look up a good quality version of the Melee opening to go frame-by-frame*

I'm still pretty sure that Ridley's about Samus' size there, especially if you consider the size of the BABY Metroid's container in relation to Rildey.

Spire

III
BRoomer
...I'm not seeing it. *tries to look up a good quality version of the Melee opening to go frame-by-frame*

I'm still pretty sure that Ridley's about Samus' size there, especially if you consider the size of the BABY Metroid's container in relation to Rildey.
You've got some bad perspective problems then.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
In Smash, many characters are over/undersized. That's just a fact. I can see why some character's sizes had to be redone (namely Olimar), but others... not so much.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Seems as if I have to clear up Ridley's representation in the Melee intro... again.

The whole reason as to why so many of you believe him to be her size, if not a tad bit larger, is because of a perspective issue. The camera is placed very close to the ground, to where you cannot see much of the floor. That hides the distance between she and Ridley, which is actually about 8 to 10 feet. Pay attention to the video and you'll see.

Now, this post is not to debunk Ridley's possible inclusion, but it is definitely here to prove to you "but Ridley was playable size in the Melee intro!" people that quite frankly, HE WAS NOT.

Thank you.
It's rather bad screenshots, but I can see where you're coming from. Nevertheless, I think all in that intro video scene is pretty much about perspective, you can't use this video as proof for both arguments, since the camera perspective is not that revealing.

However, I DO hope Ridley would be playable in SSB4, not only because he is probably the best known and most reasonable Metroid boss and Samus' nemesis, but also because he has showed up already since SSB64 (in the background of Planet Zebes) and has appeared until today in Brawl as 2 (!) bosses (even though Meta-Ridley technically isn't Ridley).

Ah, whatever. :3

@Skyshroud:
Heh, I don't like Toon Link either, and really hate him, but I guess we're stuck with him. >.<

EDIT:
Oh, and I would like to see some Giygas in Smash.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Spire: Point taken about the perspective issue, but it still supports the Ridley could be smaller argument to some extent. If you ignore perspective, Ridley does not look awkward when compared to Samus at that size, and certainly wouldn't if he increased his size a bit more. So, if Samus was taken back to pre-Brawl size, then Ridley could fit perfectly.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
In Smash, many characters are over/undersized. That's just a fact. I can see why some character's sizes had to be redone (namely Olimar), but others... not so much.
Really, I thought nobody was botherd with that... I guess I was wrong.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ridley is definitely a character that would take a challenge to animate, but would be worth it in the end.
I don't think size is much of an issue; Sakurai has jokingly said that it would be possible. Remember: SMASH IS NOT CANON. I believe the hardest thing to do with Ridley is to animate him walking, dashing, jumping, and attacking, as his wings and tail need to either have a new position, or not be a hitbox.

And I believe that Ridley could be larger than Bowser by a little bit, but Bowser (being a much bulkier character) would definitely remain the heaviest.

Forward Tilt - Coral Composition
Sebastian takes a simple pond cattail and begins sweeping it around, as if directing an orchestra. By pressing the F-Tilt input once, Sebastian starts sweeping the cattail around at a moderate speed. Sebastian continues conducting until you cancel the move by rolling or by pressing the input again. The cattail hits at below average range, has low priority, but is a disjointed hitbox. The move comes out and ends rather rapidly. This deals low knockback and about 3-4% per sweep of the cattail.

A small bonus comes with this move if there is background music turned on (who the hell turns it off?). If Sebastian taps A in time to the rhythm of the BGM (a bit like DK's Final Smash), small multicolored music notes come out of the cattail and fly forward about half a Stage Builder block horizontally before vanishing. The notes have low priority, but come out fast and are still disjointed. Each note gives foes a bit of hitstun and 1%, but if you are in time to the music, they come in amounts large enough to combo the foe quite nicely. Once you start conducting with notes, Sebastian has a bit more cooldown lag after ending the move. However, if used in the correct situations, it can be quite an effective damage builder. Plus, it's fun to conduct the Brawl music you know and love, rather than another crappy remix of the Jungle Hijinx music that shouldn't be there in place of any other better DKC song...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I believe the hardest thing to do with Ridley is to animate him walking, dashing, jumping, and attacking, as his wings and tail need to either have a new position, or not be a hitbox.
It works for Pit, it works for Bowser, it works for Zelda and Peach (skirts), it works for Ridley as boss, why shouldn't it work for Ridley as character?

@gantrain:
Not the exactly same size, just slightly bigger. Though Kraid was Samus' size and now look what huge monster he is.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I know it works for those characters, I just think it would be challenging, but entirely possible. Ridley should be just slightly bigger than Samus.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Only because it was on the NES.

He's way bigger in all the other games.
there have been plenty of games on NES that has had enormous bosses, megaman, ghosts and goblins, blaster master, zelda 2, contra, cobra triangle, and many many others, i don't see why they couldn't have made ridley bigger, especially since they could have made the boss room alot wider with more room to maneuver, they just chose to make them roughly the same size, it had nothing to do with being on the nes.

Spire

III
BRoomer
there have been plenty of games on NES that has had enormous bosses, megaman, ghosts and goblins, blaster master, zelda 2, contra, cobra triangle, and many many others, i don't see why they couldn't have made ridley bigger, especially since they could have made the boss room alot wider with more room to maneuver, they just chose to make them roughly the same size, it had nothing to do with being on the nes.
While Samus and Ridley may have been at similar sizes in the original Metroid, Smash Bros is based off of the latest appearances of characters (for the most part). All of the Smash Bros characters are based off of their latest appearances in games outside of Smash Bros. While all Smash Bros character models are based off of their latest appearances, they are not complete replicas per se. For instance:
  • The Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Wario characters are all original models based off of their latest appearances, with Bowser and DK taking on a much more grimacing look, Peach taking on a frilled, ornate dress, etc etc.
  • The Zelda characters are based off of the latest Zelda games - the realistic (Twilight Princess) realm, and the toon (Wind Waker) realm.
  • Samus is based off of her latest rendition for the most part, including ZSS, who doesn't look exactly as she did in the Metroid Prime series (well, her head that is), and Ice Climbers, Pit, and ROB being modernized updates to their 20 year old sprites.
  • The Kirby characters have been represented three-dimensionally in only two games, besides the Smash Bros series (correct me if I'm wrong), so their appearances haven't changed much at all; and as for Olimar, he has changed minutely from his appearance in Pikmin 1&2.
  • The Star Fox characters are completely new renditions, taking inspiration from their latest titles, but revamping them for Brawl, and the same goes for Captain Falcon, who appears like never before.
  • The Pokemon characters have never really changed much, as there has been no real mean to do so, however, they've not been presented so well in 3D before Smash Bros either.
  • The Fire Emblem characters and the Mother/Earthbound characters resemble their out-of-smash appearances, but Marth has been incredibly updated, along with Ness and Lucas - who remember, have never appeared in 3D until Smash Bros; leaving Ike for last, he too even looks different from his latest FE appearance.
  • As for the last roster column, G&W doesn't have much to work with, but Snake and Sonic, being guest characters, are based off of their most famous designs (albeit latest, sans Old Snake).
So, my point? Please take into consideration what a character appears like in their latest rendition outside of Smash Bros, as that will have a strong effect on their appearance within Smash Bros. Ridley was included twice as a boss, very large both times, but smaller than his rendition in the Metroid Prime series - why? Because they had to size him down so that he would work with the Smash Bros characters in the best way possible. You'd have to size him down a little more than half of his Brawl size for playability, and that's not doing such a great character any justice.

Of course Ridley could be playable, I do not debate that. Hell, you could make Godzilla playable if you sized him down, and while that is more of an extreme, doesn't that seem incredibly ridiculous? No one would rightfully want that, and the same goes for Ridley in terms of ridiculing the character.

Thank you for your time,
Spire

gantrain05

Smash Master
i would want ridley playable, they could get creative with him, while he's standing on the ground he could be hunched over, and wings folded in to be just barely bigger than bowser, thats what they did for bowser, minus the wings, he's always hunched over with his arms inside his body and head down, if they didn't he'd be an even bigger target.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Actually, Samus is based on her appearence in Super Metroid. Just look at her Varia Suit trophy (from Metroid Prime), which looks a lot different than Samus in the game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Actually, Samus is based on her appearence in Super Metroid. Just look at her Varia Suit trophy (from Metroid Prime), which looks a lot different than Samus in the game.
The transition from sprite to high-polygon 3D model is a HUGE leap. Of course Pit and Ice Climbers are based off of their original sprites, but they went through incredible changes. Samus' model from SSB64 was obviously based off of her Super Metroid sprite, but you cannot deny that her appearance in Brawl is based strongly off of both the Metroid Prime series, and the Melee model (which was an updated SSB64 sprite). So in essence, she is part Super Metroid, and part Metroid Prime, but like I said, "for the most part."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom