• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Even though Shadow is very similar to Sonic, of course they could make it work when you have characters like Falco in there. But this is for a what-if game and in my perfect little world Falco has a totally unique moveset.

So no Shadow.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
CASTLEVANIA!

I bring it up whenever it comes up, because it's seriously like, my favorite franchise (not favorite game, but favorite franchise). I would, no joke, die of happiness if Simon were in a Smash Bros. game.
But then you'd never get to play as him and that would be tragic. So play one match with him and be sure to win, and then you can die.

@flyinfilipino: this entire site is an advertisement!
IT MAKES WE WANT TO GO PLAY SMASH

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I bring it up whenever it comes up, because it's seriously like, my favorite franchise (not favorite game, but favorite franchise). I would, no joke, die of happiness if Simon were in a Smash Bros. game.
Simon and Mega Man are two really well known NES icons. In fact, I don't know about anyone else but when I think of the NES' most iconic lead characters I think of the following primarilly.

-Mario
-Link
-Samus
-Pit
-Mega Man
-Simon Belmont
-The Contra guys
-Kirby...maybe
- and maybe Donkey Kong, but he had his hay day before the NES and really made his big return in the latter days of the SNES.

I know there's a lot more, Metal Gear was cool for it's time and Blaster Master was unforgettable if you played it back then, but those 9 (10 technically) are kinda like the core of all general NES nostalgia for anyone who grew up or was already old enough during that era. If you were a kid or teen and had an NES you likely had played at least 7 of those 9 games. So since the Contra guys wouldn't exactly work...if Simon and Mega Man were in there to me the game would basically be complete. That's why a lot of people are very persistant about those two in particular.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Simon and Mega Man are two really well known NES icons. In fact, I don't know about anyone else but when I think of the NES' most iconic lead characters I think of the following primarilly.

-Mario
-Link
-Samus
-Pit
-Mega Man
-Simon Belmont
-The Contra guys
-Kirby...maybe
- and maybe Donkey Kong, but he had his hay day before the NES and really made his big return in the latter days of the SNES.

I know there's a lot more, Metal Gear was cool for it's time and Blaster Master was unforgettable if you played it back then, but those 9 (10 technically) are kinda like the core of all general NES nostalgia for anyone who grew up or was already old enough during that era. If you were a kid or teen and had an NES you likely had played at least 7 of those 9 games. So since the Contra guys wouldn't exactly work...if Simon and Mega Man were in there to me the game would basically be complete. That's why a lot of people are very persistant about those two in particular.
Good point. Isn't Blaster Master the one game with a little vehicle that you could jump out of?

(The Contra guys would make an awesome Assist Trophy) (Spread shot!)

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I remember most kids didn't even know Little Mac's name back then, he was just the guy who you play as who gets his *** kicked by Mike Tyson later. lol

But nah he was an icon too, but I think Simon and Mega Man much more so still. Hell Mega Man was more well known than most of those put together for a while I'd even be willing to say, save Mario and Link of course since Mario was the undisputed video game emperor.

gantrain05

Smash Master
MAN i forgot all about contra, that was my all time favorite game for like 5 years, oh ****, they should totally put those dudes in the next SSB, and don't forget about the double dragons man!

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
definitely, I just wanted to get in a line for one of my favorite series.

What about SNES icons?

We still have the Nintendo staples:

-Mario
-Link
-Samus
-Kirby
-Donkey Kong
-Fox (kinda, but he was really late in the generation)
-Captain Falcon

But what about 3rd Party?

-Megaman
-Black Mage (or other FF rep)
-Ryu

Who else? I have a very limited knowledge of the SNES era, so help fill in the gaps!

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I'm with filipino, the Contra guys would make a very interesting Assist Trophy if Konami allowed it to happen, but I don't see them as fully playable characters.

You can differ all you want but at the end of the day, even to this day...the Contra guys are shirtless badasses with guns but that's kind of it. I don't even think they have names. lol I think you need a tiny bit more than that. I could see the Bionic Commando more than them.

gantrain05

Smash Master
definitely, I just wanted to get in a line for one of my favorite series.

What about SNES icons?

We still have the Nintendo staples:

-Mario
-Link
-Samus
-Kirby
-Donkey Kong
-Fox (kinda, but he was really late in the generation)
-Captain Falcon

But what about 3rd Party?

-Megaman
-Black Mage (or other FF rep)
-Ryu

Who else? I have a very limited knowledge of the SNES era, so help fill in the gaps!
i dunno SNES didn't really have many icons, the SNES days were alot of mario games and remakes of the old mario games, and then alot of games like mortal combat, final fantasy, DOOM, and such, not alot of new icons coming from nintendo.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
MAN i forgot all about contra, that was my all time favorite game for like 5 years, oh ****, they should totally put those dudes in the next SSB, and don't forget about the double dragons man!
K, but I don't really know anything about the Double Dragon guys.

Oh, Contra is Konami? Sweet. They could put in the cool song from the first ever level/title screen too. It's classic.

Despite the SNES being my first system, I only ever played Mario Kart, Mario World, and Mario Paint.... :/

EDIT - Chief: Checking out that Contra moveset. They have names?! EDIT2: That Jungle song remix...*sniff*

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know they had names either. lol It was just the blonde one and the black haired one back then.

Though even if it could work, like I've said many times anything could be made to work it's just a matter of how sensible it is.

Plus unless we want the game to become Nintendo vs. Konami, they'd possibly take the spot from Simon which is a big no for me.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'm with filipino, the Contra guys would make a very interesting Assist Trophy if Konami allowed it to happen, but I don't see them as fully playable characters.

You can differ all you want but at the end of the day, even to this day...the Contra guys are shirtless badasses with guns but that's kind of it. I don't even think they have names. lol I think you need a tiny bit more than that. I could see the Bionic Commando more than them.
Bill Rizer, Lance Bean, Mad Dog, Scorpion. Yes, the "Contra guys" have names.

And don't go arguing about how original the character is--most of the Smash Bros. cast is like that.

They're way better than Nathan "Rad" Spencer, the titular Bionic Commando, anyway.

EDIT - But yeah, Simon would be first. I love Contra to death, but Castlevania's still the better, more iconic series. Even the music's like that: I love me some Contra tunes, but 'Vania has so much more potential in that area, especially considering how Smash Bros. handles classic music...

EDIT 2 - Fun Fact: Bill Rizer = Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Lance Bean = Sylvester Stallone. NOW YOU KNOW

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
EDIT 2 - Fun Fact: Bill Rizer = Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Lance Bean = Sylvester Stallone. NOW YOU KNOW
NO WAI

I would definitely settle for the two as Assist Trophies that jump around and shoot in all directions, as long as there's a sick remix of the first Contra Title Theme/Jungle song. The one you posted was sick, Chief. SPREAD SHOT

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Bill Rizer, Lance Bean, Mad Dog, Scorpion. Yes, the "Contra guys" have names.

And don't go arguing about how original the character is--most of the Smash Bros. cast is like that.

They're way better than Nathan "Rad" Spencer, the titular Bionic Commando, anyway.

EDIT - But yeah, Simon would be first. I love Contra to death, but Castlevania's still the better, more iconic series. Even the music's like that: I love me some Contra tunes, but 'Vania has so much more potential in that area, especially considering how Smash Bros. handles classic music...

Heh, yes I've seen the gif.

Folm

Smash Cadet
In SSB4 I would definately want them to add Knuckles as a brawler and make custom stages available on wi-fi (friend matches only). They should also take out that random tripping thing. Thats pretty much it.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I still say the Light Warrior would be the most fitting FF rep but that conversation was a billion pages ago.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman

He's named "Light Warrior" in upcoming Dissidia for the PSP, but he's basically the Fighter from the very first Final Fantasy. He also supposedly has elements of the other classes in that game mixed in with him, so he's kind of an algamation of all the FF1 party.

I think it'd be the most fitting because he's a mix of everything the FF series built itself on, rather than a rep from one of the individual installments. We speculated that it'd even be interesting and very in line with the series if he could change his job as a gameplay mechanic, maybe between Fighter, Black Mage, and Thief or Monk.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Yeah, I don't really know much about Final Fantasy except that there's a bunch of different classes and stuff changes with every game. I've heard of the Black Mage though. Is that one of the more popular classes or something?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Once again, Tetsuya Nomura makes a guy look like a girl.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
He's not Marth girly, he's handsome. :D He's no more prettier than most video game guys anyways. But that
s FF for you, and that's just if an FF character got in. I'm pretty neutral with the idea of FF in these generally, but that would be more fitting I think than a Cloud, or Cecil, or Terra etc. Though I wouldn't mind Terra.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
If you didn't say it was a he I would've called it a she. :D

I'm pretty neutral to most of the third-party suggestions, really. I just think they'd be cool to have. Vampire killers would just rawk in Smash, along with the rest of the representation of his franchise. Mega Man could rival Samus, and a Black Mage could rival Zelda's (or Ganondorf's) magic. Ryu, as a traditional fighting game character, be fun to see and use in action. The possibilities!

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't really know much about Final Fantasy except that there's a bunch of different classes and stuff changes with every game. I've heard of the Black Mage though. Is that one of the more popular classes or something?
The first game gives you 6 classes

Warrior/Knight - Can use lots of weapons and armor, limited White Magic use when upgraded to Knight.

Theif/Ninja - Fast with high accuracy and evasion, can use limited weapons and armor. Limited Black Magic use when upgraded to Ninja

Monk/Master - Master of hand to hand, often needs no weapon, very few armor options. Offensive juggernaut but lacks magic and takes a lot of damage from magic attacks.

Black Mage/Black Wizard - Master of offensive black magic but physically weak and slow. High magic defense, though.

White Mage/White Wizard - Master of defensive white magic but shares the same weaknesses and strengths as the Black Mage/Wizard

Red Mage/Red Wizard - Jack of all trades and a master of none. Can use a decent number of weapons and armor and can use a limited amount of both white and black magic.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Actually, because of the hair and eyes, he looks more like a guy. He's still a bishounen, but he isn't bordering on androgynous.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
The first game gives you 6 classes

Warrior/Knight - Can use lots of weapons and armor, limited White Magic use when upgraded to Knight.

Theif/Ninja - Fast with high accuracy and evasion, can use limited weapons and armor. Limited Black Magic use when upgraded to Ninja

Monk/Master - Master of hand to hand, often needs no weapon, very few armor options. Offensive juggernaut but lacks magic and takes a lot of damage from magic attacks.

Black Mage/Black Wizard - Master of offensive black magic but physically weak and slow. High magic defense, though.

White Mage/White Wizard - Master of defensive white magic but shares the same weaknesses and strengths as the Black Mage/Wizard

Red Mage/Red Wizard - Jack of all trades and a master of none. Can use a decent number of weapons and armor and can use a limited amount of both white and black magic.
I see. Are these classes present in every game?

Fascinating!

darkserenade

Smash Ace
I think the reason Marth looks so girly is because his games never made it to countries other than Japan, so they didn't have to focus on localizing his design.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Definitely a guy in that picture.
I dunno Kuma maybe we're just really desensitized to feminine looking japanese characters.

You know looking at a picture of him in Brawl, he's not -that- hard to distinguish from a male, especially if you're used to these sort of characters. Sure his face is really feminine but the rest of his body just looks like a slender guy.

I guess.... back then he had the more feminine body but male looking head and face...but years later now he has a more male looking body, but his face went the opposite direction.

And I don't think his design had anything to do with the localization or whatever, he's just one of those characters. Can you imagine what it would have been like if they had made a "manly" version of Marth JUST for the western release of Brawl? lol

I know some people complain about how he looks as is, but that would have been just ridiculous.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I see. Are these classes present in every game?
Pretty sure a variation of each one is present in every FF game, with some new classes being added in each game.

In the original FF, you had to pick four classes to use for the rest of the game and each character was stuck with their class.

In FF2, I think your classes changes as you grow depending on the skills you used.

FF3 gives you the choice to change "jobs" whenever you wanted, but you had to play through the gamne to gain access to more jobs, plus switching forced you to undergo a transition period where your stats are temporarily decreased.

In the more character driven FF games (i.e. all of them since IV), every character has a set class and you have to play them as such. Most characters in these games tend to be of a classes in the original game. For example, Aerith in FF7 was pretty much a white mage in disguise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom