• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Well, Sonic can't do anything against Metaknight, and unfortunately for me, he is the most used character in MD/VA (my area). It also happens to be the best smash community in the nation. It's been that way since Melee. So I literally get to play the best MK's in the US at every tourny I attend, and let me tell you, Sonic has no chance in hell. MK out prioritizes every one of Sonic's moves, and Sonic cannot kill him very well. Not to mention MK can gimp Sonic pretty well. Also, he has no way of stopping the tornado :(

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Well, Sonic can't do anything against Metaknight, and unfortunately for me, he is the most used character in MD/VA (my area). It also happens to be the best smash community in the nation. It's been that way since Melee. So I literally get to play the best MK's in the US at every tourny I attend, and let me tell you, Sonic has no chance in hell. MK out prioritizes every one of Sonic's moves, and Sonic cannot kill him very well. Not to mention MK can gimp Sonic pretty well. Also, he has no way of stopping the tornado :(
ehh i ususally dont do this but ur WRONG... a shield grab = pwnage of MK fire tornado standard b move... Now carri on... :chuckle:

thumbswayup

Smash Master
A good MK will not end up right in front of you when he realizes you're shielding the tornado. Trust me, if you came to and MD/VA tourny with Sonic you'd get obliterated. Oh, my area also has a ton of Snake users.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hi there, my na-

Metaknight entry (edit 1):

Metaknight (MK) is one of the most common characters you will encounter whether in friendlies or tournament play and for good reason. His attacks come out fast and have good range/damage/knock-back, his ground movement is fast, his aerial movement is decent, and he has multiple jumps (not to mention 3 b-move recovery options and a glide). Also, a recently discovered infinite stall for MK has emerged (more on that later).

One of MK's only true weaknesses is his light weight which makes him easy to KO on both the sides and over the top of the level. For this reason, you should generally play against him on stages that have closer blast-lines on the sides and top. Even though this also means that your recovery will not be fully utilized either, your extra heaviness will give you an edge. However, stages that have deeper bottoms (such as battlefield) are to your advantage and not his. These are considerations mainly for tournament play, but they can mean the difference between victory and defeat-- so, consider them carefully.

The actual fighting is somewhat less straightforward and considerably more difficult. At the outset you should realize that your goal will be to evade and frustrate your opponent and seize opportunities as they arise. Attempting an aggressive play-style against any decent MK will lead to significant punishment as your ground approaches will be easily out-ranged and your aerial game will likely get dismantled. If you happen to meet the occasional MK that prefers to play defensively, your best plan of attack will be a mixture of running shield-grabs and hyphen smashes, and reverse aerial-rushed (RAR'd) bairs. Doing a dash attack to MK's face is not advised, nor is approaching with any of your short range aerials for the simple reason that MK can smash/aerial you out of them without even trying.

However, it is safer to assume that MK will be playing aggressively against you, and so you will instead be looking for holes in his game and counter-attacking. This means longer games with a lot of running around, empty short-hopping, and general evasion. One of the main opportunities that you will be seizing will be the punishment of any and all of MK's b-moves. The two most common moves you are likely to see will be MK's neutral-b (for damage racking) and his up-b (for finishing). The main reason you will see these so often is because they come out fast and leave the MK player with a feeling of invulnerability. To prevent these from being used against you with impunity, you must punish every b-move you can.

Neutral-b
  • Can be broken with any correctly placed aerial
  • If timed right, f-smash, d-smash, f-tilt all out-prioritize
  • Springing can safely break it 100% of the time
  • Homing attack can work
  • Spin-dashes can nullify but may result in you taking damage as well

Up-b
  • Springs and dairs will be somewhat effective in stopping it
  • The most difficult part is avoiding the initial hit, but when baited, the glide period is vulnerable to anything and can be aggressively chased
  • Either bait the up-b by getting in close and dodging/shielding or be very mindful of staying out of its range

Side-b
  • Defeated by fair
  • Spin-dash can trade hits
  • Extremely laggy wind-down that can be easily punished by almost anything

Down-b
  • Only attacks behind MK
  • When done over the ground, the invincibility/invisibility period can be indefinitely extended (known to as "infinite caping")
  • Vulnerable to shield grabbing, any aerial attack, and runs the risk of MK suiciding.
  • Infinite caping moves about as fast as MK runs
  • Easily avoided by running to the edge MK was facing when he initiated the attack or by edge-hogging

What should be more intimidating is MK's air and ground game. Spotting weaknesses here is by no means intuitive and requires one to have either played as or against him extensively. Still, these weaknesses do certainly exist. Prime among these weaknesses is vulnerability to power shielding/shield grabbing. This is particularly effective against MK's air game as he lacks any move that is a continuous-multiple hit or good shield eater. His only way to counter your repeated shielding is one of his b-moves, and as stated previously these are all punishable. After you shield/dodge/evade his attack you should immediately counter-attack with whatever can reach him fastest. With the exception of uair, MK's aerials cannot be spammed fast enough to block a counter attack. This is because while MK's hit-boxes come out fast and leave fast, the attacks finish slower. So even when MK looks like he is ready to attack you he is still in an active state and unable to do anything other than DI. This is important both in finding openings and in continuing pseudo-combos where MK will attempt to counter-attack you.

If you get the knack of this you should begin to shut down MK's aerial game. Should he attempt to approach you more on the ground, counter by using your f-tilt or, as noted before, continuous evasion. If he begins to use only his ground game, you should note a few things. First, taking MK's back is not nearly as useful as it is against other characters. His down-smash is only vulnerable in the front since it finishes immediately after the back hit-box disappears. Second, MK's attacks are easily spot-dodged. Third, his forward smash and tilt have a rather poor angle that is very vulnerable to aerials/aerial spin dashes (ASC). If you notice forward/down smash spamming you can use ASC and aerials to counter it easily. Always be ready for an up-smash though. If MK instead does an up-smash you need to smash DI immediately out of it before that final hit connects. If you can do this consistently, you need not worry so much about the few times his up-smash will hit you.

As a final note, MK's strong recovery makes him difficult to gimp. If you want to keep Metaknight from getting to the edge you need to consider 2 things: how/when to edge-hog, MKs recover radius.

If you can, you should pressure the latter by using your spin dash jump and possibly using a dair or homing attack. This will be the time he is most vulnerable to your gimps since he cannot use his b moves without suiciding. The first option is what you'll be sticking with more though. MK has laggy landing that's pretty easily punishable at the very least by a dashing grab, possibly you could combo him or smash him. For that reason though, most MKs are going to go for the edge, you should try to predict this and edge hog accordingly.
PS.

I fought my first spammy MK (up-B, glide attack, d-smash) a few nights ago in a wifi 'ranked' match on AiB. It ticked me off.

Not because I couldn't defeat his spam, which at least wasn't tornado spam, because it's actually quite stoppable via spring (drop it on him or use it to change his position and drop a D-air on him, etc). But because he was spamming his KILL MOVES.

His crappy playstyle ticked me off so much that in our second and last match, I took him to 180% and U-throw'd him to kill.

PS, dropping spring in front of MK's up-B is such a disruptor. If it gets to them and starts to tick them off when they're recovering (drop it slightly in front of the edge), you can rack up a bit of damage by interrupting them either at the start or at the end of their shuttle loop.

Pero

Smash Apprentice
A good MK will not end up right in front of you when he realizes you're shielding the tornado. Trust me, if you came to and MD/VA tourny with Sonic you'd get obliterated. Oh, my area also has a ton of Snake users.
after what the enlightened brawler tenki said u should c there is a way to stop the tornado. And by shielding i was hoping u wouldnt be so slow not to kno but not standing there like a dummy shielding but prefect shielding to a grab or shield at a point where the have no chose but to get caught with a grab. In order to complete this ordeal u need to do something u might not kno about called practice... :\

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Ok, thanks for all that info. I was a bit wrong, but only because I'm not very knowledgeable on the matchup. I attempted Sonic vs MK against Forte and Plank and was so horribly defeated by both I lost all hpoe. You have too see what it's like against the best MK in the US, you can't win with Sonic. Any MK that knows what they're doing will beat you cause he is gay and broken. They will abuse the gay.

youre making want to live on the east coast >.>
It's a double edged sword :p

Damax

Smash Lord
spin charge beats his up B and glid attack in the air at worst it will ''cling'' spincharge cling with mk's down smash.... all around the MK spam tornado up B's and downsmash while you spam down B and run away from tornadoes LOL. 18 minute match if you wanna win have fun. stupid brawl

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Ok, thanks for all that info. I was a bit wrong, but only because I'm not very knowledgeable on the matchup. I attempted Sonic vs MK against Forte and Plank and was so horribly defeated by both I lost all hpoe. You have too see what it's like against the best MK in the US, you can't win with Sonic. Any MK that knows what they're doing will beat you cause he is gay and broken. They will abuse the gay.

It's a double edged sword :p
np anytime I didnt mean it in a mean wat, just how it sounds. Cuz i mean you kno things I dont about sonic probally. So I dont kno everything, I myself have fought 2 really good MK back when began to realize sonic is my calling to brawl and got pwned. But always remember nothing is impossiable, its the person who predicts what the opponet is going to do and react and adapt to their change and counter act it. (Sonic's strong point actting off ur opponets mistakes) Everyone basically thinks Sonic speed hurts more than it helps show them how they are wrong. We as Sonic players kno how when u get the hang of the speed its one of ur only advantages...

thumbswayup

Smash Master
np anytime I didnt mean it in a mean wat, just how it sounds. Cuz i mean you kno things I dont about sonic probally. So I dont kno everything, I myself have fought 2 really good MK back when began to realize sonic is my calling to brawl and got pwned. But always remember nothing is impossiable, its the person who predicts what the opponet is going to do and react and adapt to their change and counter act it. (Sonic's strong point actting off ur opponets mistakes) Everyone basically thinks Sonic speed hurts more than it helps show them how they are wrong. We as Sonic players kno how when u get the hang of the speed its one of ur only advantages...
True, but it is extremely difficult to beat a good MK with Sonic. You'd have to be unpredictable to an insane degree, and you'd have to run like a little ***** most of the match :laugh: hit and run basically. Camp that mofo, hard.

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Yea i agree with the little sonic has atm u have to kno MK hella good and Be Super unpredictable. But who knos what sonic holds in store for us in the future...:chuckle:

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
Oh **** I know that guy. Sonic, right? Lol. I could be wrong, but ya know. =P

Wanna give another shout out to, Silver. yeah you can uhh you can go suck my nuts and burn in the pits of Hell cause YOU AINT IN UNLEASHED! Oh Yeah!

Sorry guys, just had to type that one out... again.

Who here reserved Sonic Chronicles @ GameStop and is getting their free Sonic and Knuckles stylist??

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
I find it funny going through the old posts of this thread (particularly when Sonic was first unveiled) how everybody called him broken and how everybody was going to use him and stuff.

The same people who said they'd use him I now note icons like Pit, G&W and Meta Knight next to. Heh.

Well the latter ended up being true, lots of people use him on WiFi, but as to if they use him WELL...>_>

SiegK

Smash Champion
Sonic All the way.

But yeah, he did have a huge hype and true Sonic fans kept it and him. Sure we've gotten use to it, but when u do think back. Holy crap, Sonic is actually in Brawl. That subconsciously feeling will never go away.

I feel Im about to start repeating myself cause Im kinda tired, so I'll sign off now

Pero

Smash Apprentice
Thanx for the welcome SiegK and yes sonic did have alot of hipe i was in on the hipe...but shokingly. My friends werent. I got brawl loved sonic. Played with him and Toon Link, Until Mario Kart Wii apearded in my hands then brawl became dusty I became rusty many new techniqes. Then came my Sonic denial. I went to olimar and Toon Link for a bit... week later i thought before i went to sleep. What the hell made me wanna play brawl ever cense i found out Link sucked to my interest this game. olimars fine but bored of being gimped with his lame at times tether recovery. And Toon Link is to ****ing Light.( D*** links shortened and less mobile recovery this game). Then I said man **** brawl. Then one day my friend said u still dont like brawl i was like ehh yea Mario Kart FTW!. Then he said look at ur fav. character in this video. I looked at the title. Lucky's Combo video? Yea, i watched it...OMG...I could find a way to win with the blue blurr like i always wanted!...So ever sence that day of June 28th I have seen the Blue light...but its kinda blurry.

SiegK

Smash Champion
No Prob, Pero.
My craze for Sonic hasnt dissipated, but I'm glad urs came back.
Im one of those people who said Sonic would be one of my top characters b4 he was in Brawl, b4 Brawl was out and still now. He may not be my Main, as I hoped (Kirby holds that place) but he is still the reason Im piss happy about Brawl. Just thinking about being able to play him and fun around in Super Smash Bros. made me giddy and still does.

I remember when this thread was booming, and it was like AIM in here. just had to refresh the page every 60 seconds or so. Ah, those were the days. The Prophets, scams, info leaks, character leaks.

And a bunch of threads closed down once the game came out. Some cause the character didnt make it or people just stoped posting, but its so great that this thread is still up and seems to be getting up onto its feet again. Looking good, guys. Looking good.

Repryx

Smash Champion
Im back guys sry 4 the abscence but I been going thru too much with My Dads death nd junk....but Im back, wwhats gud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom