• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
naw, i loved secret rings, but it gets boring after a while. SEGA! WHY?! PLEASE GIVE US A FULLY 3D REMAKE OF SONIC THE HEDGE HOG 1 WITH OUT THE 4KIDS VOICE CAST!
Alternatively, just let the Sonic Rush team (ESPECIALLY THE COMPOSER) make a Wii Sonic. I'm sure that'd be awesome.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Sonic 2006 (360 as some of you may refer to it) was awful according to Gamespot who gave it like a 4.4 out of 10. however Gamespot gave Shadow like a 4.8 out of 10 which was absurd because the game wasnt nearly that bad. the controls werent nearly as horrible as they said, voice-acting still sucked, the camera wasnt half as bad as the other sonic games, and there were no serious glitches as far as i could see. and so i dont trust Gamespot's credibility much anymore. Sonic 2006 was supposedly really glitchy which isnt much of a shocker and it may actually have sucked. and yes i think Sonic and that short-haired princess chick get a little smoochy-smoochy going on in the ending. i'm not going to defend a game i havent played. my complaint is with the reception of Sonic games released prior to these next-gen consoles coming out, all of which i own and have played enough times. those Sonic games were far from perfect and the bugs and voice-acting were and sure as hell still are crap-in-a-can and ruined a significant amount of gameplay but for the Sonic franchise to lose as much respect as it has for that is absurd, considering there was plenty of fun to be found in those games and no one wants to admit it. the breakneck speeds in most of the levels were insane, much more so than the genesis classics which everyone claims were "so fast". luigi's mansion and mario sunshine were god-awful yet people still kiss mario's feet while they dropkick sonic into the ****ter. whats the deal?
Shadow the hedgehog was horrible. They guns were just pointless. The vehicles were horribly designed. Why can't I get off the motercycle before it blows up? The level design and missions sucked. Why do I have to repeat a level that takes an hour to get through just because I forgot to kill one small enemy somewhere? It was just poorly designed and bad.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Shadow the hedgehog was horrible. They guns were just pointless. The vehicles were horribly designed. Why can't I get off the motercycle before it blows up? The level design and missions sucked. Why do I have to repeat a level that takes an hour to get through just because I forgot to kill one small enemy somewhere? It was just poorly designed and bad.
i agree with the fact that the vehicles were poorly designed even though they werent really necessary except in only one level that i can recall. most of the missions which were where every human/alien had to be hunted down werent too bad unless you missed one and spend forever trying to find that lone target, i agree. but the other missions where there were only a handful of targets to acquire/destroy werent all that bad IMO. i also dont see how the guns were pointless. i'd much rather kill larger enemies in a couple seconds with a spray of shots rather than spend half a millenia trying to homing attack them to death while losing a ballsload of rings in the process. the only annoying part of the guns was the autoaim that occassionally shot the wrong target but i dont recll the guns every frustrating me. in fact they made exploring levels much smoother. and i dont even how the level design is poor. with the exception of 2 of those levels, they were all linear, start to finish levels with paths that may have branched for only a negligible fraction of the level's length. ill admit, the design wasnt that great for the "destroy more than 10 targets" levels but thats a mission design flaw.

im not saying Shadow was an excellent game. im not saying it even deserves an 8 out of 10. the missions were not particularly exciting to playing, and some of the add-ons (i.e. vehicles, supporting characters) were useless. I AM SAYING that i liked it enough to disagree with most of the harsh criticisms it received. for GameSpot to give it a 4.8 out of 10 and for it to be considered FAR worse than the other 3D Sonic's which unlike Shadow had serious gameplay glitches just seems absurd

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere where it's not quite hot, but not quite
large targets you say? i'd rather that enemies didn't have life meters any more, its too... "un-sonic-y"? whatever, id rather they bring back the one hit wonders from the 2d games (one hit wonders, get it? cause they only took one hit.. lol~)

what i want in a sonic game:
1. a free camera that only snaps behind sonic in places that call for it, such as loops or auto run segments.
2. mach speed zones were fun. im not saying they should make sonic run that fast in future games, but at least bump up his speed considerably, because, when i look at time trials on youtube, for wave ocean as an example, he runs slower than he did on sonic heroes, believe it or not.
3.stop creating so many characters! pretty self explanatory, although i don't have anything against any of the characters (yes, i even like silver!)
4. if they absolutely MUST use more than a couple, then at least keep the character appearances down to a minimum. say like, 5-7 characters in a game.
5. isn't sonic supposed to be fast? speed up his loading times please~

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well I do agree that they should make better games for sonic but as far as the loading times go it depends on what system you play it in because i've played sonic heroes on both gamecube and ps2 but it was much faster on cube for some reason, and I can't figure out why, because I thought it would be faster on ps2 but instead in was surprisingly slow

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Yes, SEGA fix Sonic before its too late, I saw on X-Play this "Game Franchises That Need To Die: Sonic the Hedgehog" and one for megaman also. See it on www.g4tv.com, but to my point people are already thinking that SEGA should throw in the towel. Me, I don't think Sonic should go anywhere but SEGA needs to listen to the people for once instead of trying these new things and hoping for it to go well, thats what they probally did for Shadow the Hedgehog. I want these franchises to remain alive, but remain healthy instead of both heading to an early grave because of poor released games having thier name on it. Sonic is fast, make the game fast, the loading times in Sonic 360 were awful, made me lose my patience and lost intrest later on.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i'll be totally shocked if Sonic was NOT in SSBB.

i never really played any Sonic games beside the genessis ones .(we were more into SNES)

so i only see videos of his games and game play really.
although sonic would be a great addition and is probably already in, i don't like him for two reasons

1. he is a little overrated

2. i would never stop laughing if brawl came out with no sonic, just to see all of the fan boys cry and curse and probably break their wiis in anger

weasleman333

Smash Apprentice
sonic isn't going to get in, No musicians in the musician list are related to sonic.

I love sonic, I have just about every single sonic comic out, and would love to see him in brawl. I just dont think he'll get in.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
sonic isn't going to get in, No musicians in the musician list are related to sonic.
Actually...

Even though it's not in the list of their previous works on the Brawl website, Yuzo Koshiro and Tomoko Sasakai actually had some involvement in the soundtracks of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Adventure 2, respectfully.

Just take a look of the credits of each of those two games.

Black/Light

Smash Master
1. Composers are not tied down to the characters or games they compsed for.
2. The NiGHTS composer also did music for. . .(wait for it). . .the Original Sonic games from what I hear.

****. . .S-C beat me to it.

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
he'll get in, i mean, the whole video game industry is practically screaming "sonic is in!".
brawl is lousy with signs of sonic, isn't it already obvious? ahaha, no i didn't think so, that was just a joke.

x-play? i hate x-play! they're one of the nastiest that i know of, they like putting down games, they're just like that, now you see why japan never really releases the good games in the states? it's because of people like them.

also, i think sonics victory theme in brawl should be that little melody you hear whenever you finish a stage in most sonic games (only other game i remember with this song is sonic adventure 2).

well I do agree that they should make better games for sonic but as far as the loading times go it depends on what system you play it in because i've played sonic heroes on both gamecube and ps2 but it was much faster on cube for some reason, and I can't figure out why, because I thought it would be faster on ps2 but instead in was surprisingly slow
that's because it was their first time making a game that's multi platform, so they had trouble converting from gamecube to ps2, strangely though, their xbox version didn't turn out so bad.
that's why the ps2 version wasn't as good as the gamecube's.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
although sonic would be a great addition and is probably already in, i don't like him for two reasons

2. i would never stop laughing if brawl came out with no sonic, just to see all of the fan boys cry and curse and probably break their wiis in anger
i am suprised he got flamed and i didn't
Your time is coming soon, son. Some angry Sonic fanboy is going to notice your comment and douse you in Internet Napalm.

At any rate...back on to the topic at hand.

I like Sonic (though I'm not a drooling, rabid fanboy about 'im my love for the character is deep and reaches back to my early days of childhood). I've played just about every game that has had his name on it at some time or another. Needless to say, I have been very disappointed at all of the 3-D outings that Sonic has had (I'd be here all night telling you about how horrible I think these games are, especially Sonic 3-D Blast).

However, I don't think Sega should just throw in the towel and call it quits on one of their flagship characters. What they should do is take a long, hard look at the past and think about what made Sonic so good in the first place. All this crap that they throw in now seriously dilutes it. "Light Ring Dashes" and "Sonic Whirlwinds" are lame and executed very poorly. Plus, Sonic shouldn't control like a rock when he runs full-on either. Blah, blah...I could go on and on but I don't want to. I just think a fresh dose of nostalgia and reworking is in order. Maybe that'll save him.

As for Sonic being in Brawl, I say "hell yeah." He'd make a great third party addition.

Smooth Criminal

Del Money

Smash Champion
That just means there won't be a sonic stage.
theres has to be a sonic stage if snake has his own stage. most likely someone could throw the green hill zone together. i doubt itll be too difficult since it has a fairly simple background

overrated, i agree - he has the highest rating for top choice 3rd party character. but seriously, hes deserving. es been a major video game icon since 1991.

also i am a huge sonic fan, yet i think itll be funny to watch the fan boys that actually would cry over sonic not making the cut

i am suprised he got flamed and i didn't
just got flamed, all in good fun though

he'll get in, i mean, the whole video game industry is practically screaming "sonic is in!".
brawl is lousy with signs of sonic, isn't it already obvious? ahaha, no i didn't think so, that was
i dont see that many obvious signs. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is hardly a sign. everything else is most talk and speculation for sonic to be in, and i'd be really shocked if he didnt make it, but i'm not gonna bet my life on his appearance. if Sega is as lousy as most people now think they are, then they are surely capable of such a disappointment

i do however think Sonic may just be a surprise unlockable character that nintendo doesnt want to mention

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
theres has to be a sonic stage if snake has his own stage. most likely someone could throw the green hill zone together. i doubt itll be too difficult since it has a fairly simple background

overrated, i agree - he has the highest rating for top choice 3rd party character. but seriously, hes deserving. es been a major video game icon since 1991.

also i am a huge sonic fan, yet i think itll be funny to watch the fan boys that actually would cry over sonic not making the cut

i dont see that many obvious signs. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is hardly a sign. everything else is most talk and speculation for sonic to be in, and i'd be really shocked if he didnt make it, but i'm not gonna bet my life on his appearance. if Sega is as lousy as most people now think they are, then they are surely capable of such a disappointment
nonononono, you didn't read it all the way! i said:
brawl is lousy with signs of sonic, isn't it already obvious? ahaha, no i didn't think so, that was just a joke.

i don't think they're lousy, what i meant by lousy is that brawl is full of signs, but like i said earlier, that was just a joke.:laugh:

sega will make the bigget come back in the world of video games, they just need something fresh and new.

i liked the 3d sonic games (well, most/ some of them anyway...)
particularly:
sonic adventure
sonic adventure 2
sonic heroes

and i think some others, forgot the rest~:laugh:

Del Money

Smash Champion
@Smash~Bomber

yeah i read your post wrong sorry. but what signs of sonic in brawl do you see?

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
@Smash~Bomber

yeah i read your post wrong sorry. but what signs of sonic in brawl do you see?
like i said "it is just a joke", i don't really see signs, but if i must make up a sign, i guess it would be the fact that nintendo themselves are interested in sonic in brawl, they listen to the fans, and they know what to give them, but we have no evidence actually, so we just have to wait~

heres to hoping for sonic in brawl anyway~

Meira

Smash Rookie
NNID
Meiraz
3DS FC
1762-3961-1329
Can you imagine how hot that game would sell if people knew you could pit Sonic and Mario against each other? Eh.. seeing this topic is 87 pages or so I'm going to take a guess and say this has already been discussed.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Can you imagine how hot that game would sell if people knew you could pit Sonic and Mario against each other? Eh.. seeing this topic is 87 pages or so I'm going to take a guess and say this has already been discussed.
its definitely been said already. but that idea never gets old. only thing is that i'm guessing if Sonic is in the game, he'll be an unlockable character. Brawl will sell well regardless since it's highly anticipated but nintendo might want to preserve the surprise of Sonic being in, unless of course Sonic is not an unlockable which i doubt would be the case.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord

i do however think Sonic may just be a surprise unlockable character that nintendo doesnt want to mention
he may be an icon, but his recent games haven't been as up to par as his sidescroller appearances, so thats what i meant by overrated. i wouldn't care if he makes it in though, which he probably will, i just hope megaman doesn't get the next spot

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . .1. Who are we to say who "deserves" to be in the game and who doesn't?

2. Miyamoto claims that both he and Sakurai know that Sonic was the most requested character (not 3rd party, just character in all) and contacted sega about the matter.
. . . If Miyamoto trys to contact a dev for their character to be in Brawl than by all means I would say that character "deservses" to be in SSBB. . .

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
megaman is definitely in, he is the capcom mascot after all.

but, if i had to choose, i'd go with namco all the way, but not pacman! ¡PACMAN NO DEBE ESTAR EN ESTE JUEGO!

i want klonoa more than pacman.
Uh... just because he's Capcom's mascot does NOT mean he's guaranteed in. That's like saying Namco's mascot is defiantly in, and Naughty Dog's mascot is defiantly in, and Insomniac's mascot is defiantly in.

But he does have a chance, but if he's in, that means Geno can't be in because Sonic is in, we all know that.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I bet he means if capcom is chosen as one of the 3rd parties, then megaman is definitely in, thats a no brainer, anyway THIS HAS TO BE AN ALT. COSTUME FOR SONIC!:

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
Great pic. What's that from?
Sonic would make a great addition to the game. And i'm sure this has been gone over many times before, but what about the classic Mario VS Sonic debate.
No one here is to judge who 'deserves' to be in brawl, as previously stated by Black/Light. I'm pretty sure many said Snake didn't deserve to be in brawl when they first saw him, but have come to accept it. Don't hate on Sonic or any other character.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
People need to forget Sonic's recent adventures and tune back into the time of the early-mid 90's. Thats when his great games were coming out, and that's what we should be basing if he 'deserves' be in Brawl on.
Look at DK. He was at his prime in around the same time span. None of his recent games have been too great, but he's still here. And don't bother saying DK wasn't ever that popular anyways, lolz.

Well, i just wanted to give my two cents. W/e happens, happens.

BTW, I love Sonic Riders.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Stryks
Too true, that has to be a alternate costume for Sonic, it is just wayyyy tooo cool!

Anyways, Sonic and Megaman are the two most likely third party characters (not including the confirmed Snake). I mean, out of all the third party characters, their series are the biggest by a large margin, unless Street Fighter or Tekken get a rep in Brawl! But c'mon, if you don't know who Megaman or Sonic are, you probably aren't a gamer...or a human!!! :laugh: So ya, Megaman and Sonic for Brawl=total n00b ownage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom