• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smady

Smash Master
Jigglypuff is very worthy, I was just striking up an argument to keep this going! 'Puff's been in there since the first game. She's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Well back to the topic. Before you go around proclaiming Sonic is unworthy, how about you back up your argument, considering this is a largely PRO-SONIC thread. Just throwin' that out there.

Smady

Smash Master
Ah, well. The main argument would be, I guess, that he's third party and hasn't exactly striken up much acclaim for a long time. Some may argue that the time of his greatness and rivalry with Mario was before many of the current player's gaming lifespan... But I'm for him. Him and Megaman. I was trying to stir an argument up to keep this alive.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Ah, well. The main argument would be, I guess, that he's third party and hasn't exactly striken up much acclaim for a long time. Some may argue that the time of his greatness and rivalry with Mario was before many of the current player's gaming lifespan... But I'm for him. Him and Megaman. I was trying to stir an argument up to keep this alive.
Ah... wow, now I feel like an idiot lol. Sorry for jumping to conclusions there Smash Daddy, I want Megaman in as well!

Smady

Smash Master
Ya, the two blue mascots are what most people want. I don't see Bomberman or Pacman having a chance against them.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Heh, no what would Bomberman do? Spam Samus-like bombs? He could throw them too, but no. No Bomberman in Smash.

But I hope Sonic will be in. But then he shouldn't be too fast, making him hard to control. He's acctually the only third-part character but Mega Man and Snake that I can think of are acceptable in smash.

Charzendat

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see Sonic in Brawl, no reason why not. And if there was a second Sonic character then I would prefer Knuckles over Tails easily.
Also Bomberman could work as he doesn't just have bomb moves. The Bomb Kick could be turned into a sliding kick and the boxing glove would be useful for a good punch. He would be a mix of explosive weapons with little knockback and close range attacks with lots of flying power.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I would like to see Sonic in Brawl, no reason why not. And if there was a second Sonic character then I would prefer Knuckles over Tails easily.
Also Bomberman could work as he doesn't just have bomb moves. The Bomb Kick could be turned into a sliding kick and the boxing glove would be useful for a good punch. He would be a mix of explosive weapons with little knockback and close range attacks with lots of flying power.
But...Tails is Sonic's sidekick, no two ways about it. Adding Knuckles in over Tails (though, let me say now that I don't think we'll get two 3rd party characters from the same series, but it's a nice thought) would be like adding Wario over Luigi in Melee.

Plus, what kind of idiot uses LEGO blocks as shoelaces?

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
I only see Sonic and Megaman having any chances in this game why not just put them both cause really theres no other third party characters getting as many hits as them both. How can you not see sonic in smash Celsco he looks just like the rest i mean how do you think of Snake and you don't see Sonic.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
yea ill just ignore. Well i need to keep this post alive somehow Sonic rules who has so far heard really important or recent news about him and brawl

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
Pit hasn't been in any games of critical acclaim in a long time either you know. Actually, come to think of it, Kid Icarus wasn't until recently what I'd call "critically acclaimed".

I guess the main point is that this isn't about recent acclaim. Its about nostalgia. Nostalgia like this doesn't come around too often... and Sonic vs. Mario is some of the most epic nostalgia anyone could ever hope to bank on.

Besides, from where I'm sitting, Sonic has been in some great games. Very great games. Some of the greatest games of all time even. No matter how many bad games there are, that will always be a fact.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Pits first game was pretty well recieved when it came out for the NES way back when, and most were expecting the start of a new franchise. Sadly that was not to be...

anyways, even though i don't care for the blue hedgehog, I see him being a very likely candidate for Brawl. THe only snags being that SEGA has to give the okay for it, and the with him competing against Mario in the Olympic games thingy, he might not be put in Brawl (since I would assume the Mario vs Sonic rivalry to be the games main draw. Nintendo probably wouldn't want the Olympic games to be cannabilized by SOnic's appearence in BRAWL)

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
I'm not following why that would be an issue. Care to elaborate on what you mean by "cannibalized"?

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
I'm not following why that would be an issue. Care to elaborate on what you mean by "cannibalized"?
Cannibalizing is a marketing term when one product from a company directly results in the low sales/discontinuing of another product from their company

I would think that the main draw (interest) from "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games" is the timeless rivalry between the plumber and the hedgehog. While some might argue that the Olympics are, c'mon 1) when have you ever played a good Olympic Game and 2) it's MARIO vs SONIC! Nintendo (and SEGA) obviously want this game to sell.

My statement is based off of the opinion that, while The Olympic Games could be a good indicator of Sonic being in Brawl, such an inclusion allows for the MvS to take place in Brawl, taking away the main draw of The Olympic Games, thus sucking out the more major draw for that game. Since, given these circumstances, Brawl would be directly responsible for the lack of draw and sales for The Olympic Games, Nintendo would have gone into competition with themselves, resulting in less overall profits. The last sentance is essentially what canabilizing is in this regard.

That all being said he'll probably be in if SEGA gives the okay, but might not because of the reasons above.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Think of it this way, DeeDoubleU, if you were only allowed one game for Christmas, and both games had Sonic and Mario, which would you choose: Olympic Games or Smash Bros.?

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to let you guys know. yes Sonic is confirmed for Brawl. I can't tell you my sources except that someone near Destructoid.com in the know informed me.

Of course this is all NDA stuff so... take my word for it or not. You'll find out soon enough.

ALSO- there will be a Wii and Gamecube version.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
Think of it this way, DeeDoubleU, if you were only allowed one game for Christmas, and both games had Sonic and Mario, which would you choose: Olympic Games or Smash Bros.?
Its not an issue though. I'll be able to get both as will just about any person who was likely interested in getting both in the first place.

Anyway, M&S Olympics doesn't even really seem to be in the same field of competition. Sure, its fan service, but the genre is completely different as is the primary market. One is extremely casual while the other has a huge audience of people who are extremely into it.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to let you guys know. yes Sonic is confirmed for Brawl. I can't tell you my sources except that someone near Destructoid.com in the know informed me.

Of course this is all NDA stuff so... take my word for it or not. You'll find out soon enough.

That bull**** is looking mighty thick there buddy. and since NDA probably has something to do with non-disclosure, then I call bull**** on your source too, the last line just made me laugh, it has to be sarcasm.

And DW, one's a fighter and the other's a sports compilation, that's still a moot point if the Mario Sonic thing is the main draw. Because even if you could get both, you don't have to. And if you had to chose one, and both gave you access to that rivalry, which would you pick?

Stryks

Smash Hero

I spit in ur retardness... U think we believe that??

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Its not an issue though. I'll be able to get both as will just about any person who was likely interested in getting both in the first place.

Anyway, M&S Olympics doesn't even really seem to be in the same field of competition. Sure, its fan service, but the genre is completely different as is the primary market. One is extremely casual while the other has a huge audience of people who are extremely into it.
Okay, but let's say you're only seven, and you're not exactly Richie Rich. You can only get one of the two. You don't care who the games are marketed to (most gamers don't), all you see is Sonic, which is pretty *****in, and Mario; also *****in'. Also, it's a videogame and you're only seven: you have no clue what the quality is of either game.

A large percent of sales are from kids like this. They're the same people who buy the licensed games, the That's So Ravens, and the endless football games. From a business perspective, confusing this shallow-minded consumer is a no-no.

P.S. Don't say At the Olympics is going to be casual, since we have no clue how it plays yet.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
Olympics promises to be casual. It's obvious just from the theme. I mean, its basically a minigame compilation. If you think it could be anything but casual, you are in for a fairly rude awakening.

And by the way, SSBM was rated T. Granted, the E10 rating came about since then, I wouldn't count on seven suddenly filling in the demographic.

The amount of people who owned it that were seven or younger was rather small.

And again, no, this kind of scenario doesn't really apply to any significant amount of people. We don't know whether these games are going to be released in the same time span, they don't fit the same genre, they have a completely different group that they appeal to, and it just generally seems plain silly to think that they would be competing for the same audience really.

Anyway, I've never known a single kid while growing up who got less than a hundred dollars worth of Christmas presents.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
I kid you not, a giant storm came through here and nocked out my internet last night or I would have replied sooner. this is what I was about to post when it kicked the bucket.

I know. I wouldn't believe it if someone said that to me ether. I've been on the internet long enough to know Pics or it didn't happen.

Regardless, My news is for people who care to remember it when the game comes out and realize I was right. I have no way or desire to prove my claims other then official press releases don't lie. (all the time ;) )

I hope to see you guys all again in the mid east tournys again!

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Olympics promises to be casual. It's obvious just from the theme. I mean, its basically a minigame compilation. If you think it could be anything but casual, you are in for a fairly rude awakening.

And by the way, SSBM was rated T. Granted, the E10 rating came about since then, I wouldn't count on seven suddenly filling in the demographic.

The amount of people who owned it that were seven or younger was rather small.

And again, no, this kind of scenario doesn't really apply to any significant amount of people. We don't know whether these games are going to be released in the same time span, they don't fit the same genre, they have a completely different group that they appeal to, and it just generally seems plain silly to think that they would be competing for the same audience really.

Anyway, I've never known a single kid while growing up who got less than a hundred dollars worth of Christmas presents.
Smashed Brothers promised to be casual. Look what happened there. Even so, a Smash game does not have to be played competetavely, and if you take away the advanced techs, it's still a Party/Fighting franchise. That's enough of a parralel to draw between the two

I find the next point funny since you mention Christmas later. Besides, there is nothing on any Smash boxart that would indicate it's too graphic for children younger then what the ESRB should play. In other words, I know kids under ten who easily had more T games then I did, back when I was that age and now.

It's not completely a question of money, It's a question of why buy one when you can buy the other. Why buy a newly established casual sports theme game, when you can buy an establised casual/Party fighting game if they both have Mario and Sonic in them. Since poeple don't (at elast over here) camp out at shops like EB all the dame time, release dates are a moot point. If their both on the shelves, and the rivalry is the main draw, then which one would you lean to? How about the employees, which would they reccomend?

IN terms of genres, Wrestling is considered to be the same genre as Fighting games, yet most of the people I know who like fighting games absolutely loathe anything with wrestling. The line between Fighters and Sports is different, Tournament fighting is considered a sport, but more so than that, I've never known a fighting game fan who hated sports games with a passion and vice versa. SO i don't think that particular aspect would really matter

Lord Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Sonic for Brawl...i suppose it's good. i dont really like sonic, but he would make a good character. then again, sega has to pay nintendo again for making sonic in brawl, just like konami did.

Mindphazzer

Smash Apprentice
Dang, if there really was a Gamecube and Wii version, and Sonic was to appear in both of them I woulden't mind getting the Gamecube version. I wonder what the differences would be though

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
DeeDoubleU said:
We don't know whether these games are going to be released in the same time span.
They're both Q4 releases, which means they're both primarily Christmas titles.

As for the rest of your post, see: Classic-Black's response.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Dang, if there really was a Gamecube and Wii version, and Sonic was to appear in both of them I woulden't mind getting the Gamecube version. I wonder what the differences would be though
The differences are... the Gamecube version would probably be missing a few characters.
If Nintendo were making two versions, it would just kill the hype for me, because the Wii
version wouldn't be too graphically improved.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The differences are... the Gamecube version would probably be missing a few characters.
If Nintendo were making two versions, it would just kill the hype for me, because the Wii
version wouldn't be too graphically improved.
Uh, yeah that's not happening.

Ninty won't publish a game on a console THEY DON'T MANUFACTURE ANYMORE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom