• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kma23

Smash Apprentice
I claim post 1000.

If Sega is going to be a part of Brawl, it's either Sonic or NOTHING. I don't want to see any more of his friends around for a good long time. All I feel is a sense of dissapointment and failure when I sense someone who isn't Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles, since they're the foundation of the series. All I'm seeing are serperate skins that look similar to his people, like Shadow for example. The current state of Sonic's reputation makes me want to curl up in a tree somewhere on Green Hill and dream about the good ol' days...

it almost sad how right you are, but I beleive knuckles should being with sonic (thhey dont hate knuckles as much as tails) an tails if they get desperate but hey we can all dream about the sonic the fighters and sonic cd an the sonic advetures days I think I'm going to cry :)
P.S knuckles can beat sonic in the adventure days

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to present the following to you all:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776460p1.html

That's right. Sonic and Mario, together at last. Allegedly.

Take this with a grain of salt, however. Remember, April Fool's Day is right around the corner, and IGN could just be trying to pull a fast one on us. But if it does turn out to be true, won't that be something? And you can bet that this would definately improve Sonic's chances for appeaing in Brawl even more.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It very well could be still a joke. Remember when Whisps were the new race in Warcraft?

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
It very well could be still a joke. Remember when Whisps were the new race in Warcraft?
With a direct quote from Shigeru Miyamoto himself? I doubt it.

He states, "Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games. In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?"

It seems that Miyamoto is the supervisor of this title and there is a great deal of cooperation from both parties. I like the looks of this.

Personally I think Sonic is a much better character than Mario. Sega just needs to stop screwing with him.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Vulpine51 said:
He states, "Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games. In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?"
He then went on to say, "I think the plight of the orcs of Middle-Earth was rather unfortunate. Being forced to eat gorgonzola with red sauce? That doesn't even make any sense! And then they ripped them out of their coccoons like beautiful butterflies, only they were green and didn't have wings and killed people, instead of fluttering on the breeze, lightly kissing your cheek with the sweet, gentle embrace that only Mother Earth's most beautiful creature could give."

Oh wait, he didn't say any of that? I just made it up?

Hmm, that seems to throw a kink in your whole, "But he said it!" argument there.

Until April 2nd, I'm calling this an April Fool's joke.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
well, i thought this was a joke and just laughed when i saw it, but seeing an opportunity to have sonic and mario together in a game gives us more of a chance to see sonic in brawl, so i hope this isn't a joke

Black/Light

Smash Master
http://marioandsonic.sega-europe.com/en/index.html
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=11783
Even on Sega front page. . .
http://www.sega.com/home.php
EVEN IGN confirms this. . . and they don't do April fools jokes
http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776460p1.html

Quote I like from a Nsider. . .
" God I've gotten to hate April anymore.

The moment someone hears some bit of news they can't believe they immediately go, "OMG! APRIL FOOLS!"

IT'S MARCH 28th YOU NUMBSKULLS. YOU DON'T PULL AN APRIL FOOLS FOUR DAYS EARLY. YOU HAVE NO REASON TO NOT WAIT UNTIL APRIL 1st UNLESS IT'S A REAL ARTICLE YOU HAVE TO PUT UP IMMEDIATELY.

Jeez. "

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Don't be too sure about that last part. EGM's April Fool's prank has already hit the net. Mushroom Kingdom Hearts, remember. I'll be remaining skeptical until a few days into April.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . .I really don't see BOTH Sega AND Nintendo (along with IGN who isn't known for making any April Fools jokes) pulling the same joke with a official web site for it. . .

And one mag (EGM) said that MKH bs. . . S-E/ Disney didn't make those claims so why would Nin/Sega make these claims just as a joke?

Really. . . .

But w/e, believe what you want. . . Im gone now.:p

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Do you people actually think that Nintendo and Sega would pull a practical joke like this together?

C'mon, people. You're smarter than this.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Do you people actually think that Nintendo and Sega would pull a practical joke like this together?

C'mon, people. You're smarter than this.
Yeah. Yeah I do, stupid. IGN is calling a lot of attention to some photoshopped screenshots and a lacklustre logo. Also, Nintendo's apparently been in talks with Sega about including a certain mascot in a certain game. AND most game industry pranks are released before april Fool's so that they can be revealed on April Fool's. It's a public Relations thing.

This could, however, be the prelude to some Brawl news. One, specific, piece of Brawl news. I ccan totally see Nintendo and Sega say "no, we were kidding, that game isn't going to happen; but Sonic will be in Brawl!" And then wait for the collective roar of all Smash fans to be heard in space.

Black/Light

Smash Master
He's totally true...

we have to be careful with this... although it seems real, but It has to come from from Miyamoto himself.

Otherwise, I won't believe.
*points at my sites listing"
Miyamoto AND Sega's head men BOTH talked about this.

So it DID come from Miyamoto himself. . . and Hisao Oguchi himself too.

geezz. . .

tw0 side

Smash Apprentice
Weren't all of the new characters confirmed already, even though that makes me mad. They should've kept it all a suprise like melee. Anyway, I doubt there will be any chance of Sonic in Smash Bros.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Weren't all of the new characters confirmed already, even though that makes me mad. They should've kept it all a suprise like melee. Anyway, I doubt there will be any chance of Sonic in Smash Bros.
You're joking, right? They've only shown 5 new characters, and a handful of returning characters. Almost the entire roster is still being kept a secret.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Black/Light said:
IT'S MARCH 28th YOU NUMBSKULLS. YOU DON'T PULL AN APRIL FOOLS FOUR DAYS EARLY. YOU HAVE NO REASON TO NOT WAIT UNTIL APRIL 1st UNLESS IT'S A REAL ARTICLE YOU HAVE TO PUT UP IMMEDIATELY.
Yeah, SWF definitely almost pulled an April Fool's joke like last week. At the end of March, you can basically do whatever you want and then say April Fool's!

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
The Olympics logos and brands are not very easy to obtain for anything. Going out of their way to secure the rights to the Olympics for a joke is an absolutely ******** business move, and Sega and Nintendo would be in extremely deep sh*t if they used the Olympics logo and brand without the Olympic council's permission.

This isn't fake in any sort of way.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Yeah, SWF definitely almost pulled an April Fool's joke like last week. At the end of March, you can basically do whatever you want and then say April Fool's!
. . . So now Nintendo AND Sega AND Ign AND ISM are all in on this April Fools joke when none of these people are known to do April fools jokes?

Yeah, it's a joke. . . one that for some odd reason was never rumored nor stated true before official sources said it.

(When Miyamoto starts making up these gaint April Fools jokes with the help of not only Hisao Oguchi but a chairman of ISM and Matt.C at IGN than you know the sky is starting to fall . . .)

The Franchise

Smash Journeyman
Sonic and Mario in an Olmpics game? It's one of those things that at first glance could be seen as a joke (pretty decent setup for one) but at the same time it does sound like something that could be made into a game.

Honestly I can't decide yet if this is legit or not. Won't know for sure till after the first. But in one sense it doesn't matter. If it's true then it means Sega and Nintendo are working together on games. If not, well the two companies still had to both be in on the joke since both characters are being used. Therefore still collabration. Involving the main mascots of Nintendo and Sega, the latter who is the most wanted third party character.

I was annoyed a bit by people who said sonic will definitly be in just because everyone wanted him. But after seeing this, I would say that the hedgehog's chances have just gone up another notch.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I knew that...

I want a DIRECT confirmation of him about THIS game
. . .What, you want him to make his own web-site for confirmation of this? He DID say this . . ."Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games," said Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto. "In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?"
on IGN's page about this ( http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776460p1.html )AND it's on Nintendo's press room site where he says the SAME thing.
And plus, a chairman of ISM confirms this and ISM is working with them on this as said here. . ."The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion," said Raymond Goldsmith, chairman and chief executive officer of ISM. "Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations."

What more, you want a video+Wii message about this to confirm it?

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
The best part was that IGN asked about Sonic's new possibilities in Brawl at the end of the article. Of course, they got a no comment, but the fact that Sonic and Mario automatically bring up Brawl means that Sega and Nintendo MUST have considered this.

Kirye

Smash Ace
After looking at alot of sources, the game looks incredibly credible, especially because it's on the Sega website in the first place, making this into an April fools joke would seem a bit much.

Sure, it seems fake, really fake at first glance.. But then it also seems possible. There's no doubt that a game of this calibur could and would be done after the good relationship Ninty and Sega have had for a while now, but being this close to April fools, I suppose it could be possible.

Nonetheless, Sonic's chances hightened if this game is real.

EDIT:Mkay, i'm certain now, it's confirmed.

http://sonic.sega.jp/

Wrath`

Smash Master
Can somone sum up what we are talking about?
I've heard sonic for brawl(yes)and some olympic thing(the part i dont get)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think Brawl should've been the first game where Mario and Sonic cross over... Luigi, Peach, Yoshi and co. meeting Tails and the rest is in my opinion a step too much.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
The fact that there's any doubt about this boggles the mind. Since when does Nintendo do April Fools jokes? And the Olympics thing is just too left field yet sensible.

Anyway, I'm actually worried this might mean Sonic's chances are lowered, though. To me, it actually seems like this could've come about from a breakdown in communications over Sonic being in Brawl. Or maybe there wasn't time in the dev cycle to finish legal talks and get him in the game? Maybe the new Sega head didn't want Sonic and Mario together in a violent game(?) and pitched this idea instead?

Then again, maybe they agreed to Sonic in Brawl and, after the talking was through, they decided that Mario and Sonic characters made such good advesaries to go ahead and build a new mascot/Wii Sports combo for massive damage.

I

i8waffles612

Theres no proof or fact yet to whether this is True or False.. I dont know what to beleive so I am just going to wait until after April Fools day to find out

Kirye

Smash Ace
Theres no proof or fact yet to whether this is True or False.. I dont know what to beleive so I am just going to wait until after April Fools day to find out
Well, here's how I see it.

It's on Nintendo's press release page, Sega's front page, has the copyright logo of IOC, which would eff them over if it was fake, on over 20 video game news boards, and has too much work behind it to be a simple april fools joke.

Unless 4 huge companies decided to team up and put together an enormous effort to make an april fools joke, this is real.

Not even the Sonic and Tails in melee joke was this big. >_>

I

i8waffles612

Well, here's how I see it.

It's on Nintendo's press release page, Sega's front page, has the copyright logo of IOC, which would eff them over if it was fake, on over 20 video game news boards, and has too much work behind it to be a simple april fools joke.

Unless 4 huge companies decided to team up and put together an enormous effort to make an april fools joke, this is real.

Not even the Sonic and Tails in melee joke was this big. >_>
Thats what I was about to post about lol. I was thinking, like what if Nintendo and Sega just decided to put up and huge April Fools joke with other companies? That is possible...

But i am beginning to think this IS an april fools joke that leads up to the announcement of Sonic in Brawl

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Is it just me, or does the Olympic license seem a bit frivolous?

Are we going to see, I don't know...Toad jogging up a flight of alabaster steps and lighting the torch?

I

i8waffles612

Are we going to see, I don't know...Toad jogging up a flight of alabaster steps and lighting the torch?
I dunno... but if this all True and that does happen...that would actually be pretty funny. hehe

Kirye

Smash Ace
Thats what I was about to post about lol. I was thinking, like what if Nintendo and Sega just decided to put up and huge April Fools joke with other companies? That is possible...

But i am beginning to think this IS an april fools joke that leads up to the announcement of Sonic in Brawl
It's either.

A) It's real, and Sega's company is making this game with Miyamoto as its head, and Mario characters involved, while Nintendo makes Brawl, with Sonic included. A help help, win win, situation? I'm thinking this is the more likely one.

B) It's a huge joke by 3 companies to announce the addition of Sonic in Brawl. Would explain the huge publicity this announcement has gotten since the morning. (Least likely, however.)

Or the hopefully not, but possible..

C) The game is real, and Sega/Ninty decide to make this game instead of including Sonic in Brawl. A way of sort of making up for it.

One way or another, it's real or it's a Brawl announcement for Sonic. It's not a huge fake joke, that would be way too much money lost in something as dumb as an april fools joke.

We've seen Mario and alot of the peeps from his franchise race, golf, play tennis, basketball, baseball, run on a board game, do a multitude of things including many sports (Mario Party), and of course their own platformer games. Now the olympics? I personally don't find it weird at all, used to all the games now. x.x;;

And nah, Mario's the pyro, let him light the torch. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom