• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
Heh, yeah I'm not too sure about the April fools joke. Like Kirye said, it is a waste of alot of money. I can believe the whole merging two big name game franchises into one game, though. Think about Marvel vs. Capcom. Or all the EA sports games that were realeased for the GC with Mario characters included. Maybe Sega is doing something like that.

skip430

Smash Cadet
If Sonic is in SSBB then Shadow HAS to be in the game (by "HAS to be in the game" I am talking about for me personally). I think it likely that if those two characters are in SSBB then Shadow will be in the top tier while Sonic would be in the mid/high tier. I think shadow would be the kind of character Shiek is in SSBM (top tier, very fast, but with more ground attacks than arials) of SSBB.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Guess you got a point there. XD

My friend and I are already debating about Sonic's chances now because of this, hahaha.
You mean Sonic's chances in Brawl, correct? If anything, I'd say this only shows there's no more bad blood between the companies, and now Sonic's would-be showing in Brawl is all up to demand from the community.

Which is here in spades.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If Sonic is in SSBB then Shadow HAS to be in the game (by "HAS to be in the game" I am talking about for me personally). I think it likely that if those two characters are in SSBB then Shadow will be in the top tier while Sonic would be in the mid/high tier. I think shadow would be the kind of character Shiek is in SSBM (top tier, very fast, but with more ground attacks than arials) of SSBB.
Saying nothing about Shadow's combat abilities; he's a terrible anti-hero cliche', stars in possibly the worst game of 2006, and I hope I speak for alot of people when I say, "I've developed a burning hatred of Shadow."

But hey, crazier things have happened (MAMA PEACH!?).

I

i8waffles612

At first when i went to wii.ign.com , i was staring at Mario AND Sonic. The first thought that came to my mind was "YES FINALLY SONIC HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AS A CHARACTER"... but then i saw it was another game and im like WAHHHHH???

wow this is basically the only thread i have been posting in for awhile... so important to us super smash fans!

Stryks

Smash Hero
Still u gotta check the poses, there quite similair and I doubt the guys at IGN/Sega would take time to make CG models of mario and sonic running just for a joke...

Still this may be historic, but its doesnt intrigue me, sure it does but not as much as if sonic were to be revealed in Brawl, THAT would have made me jump off my seat and run around my front yard screaming: Sonic is in brawl!! while doing flips in the air...

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
The best part was that IGN asked about Sonic's new possibilities in Brawl at the end of the article. Of course, they got a no comment, but the fact that Sonic and Mario automatically bring up Brawl means that Sega and Nintendo MUST have considered this.
Although this seems like the chances of Sonic being in Brawl is greater, it is actually less and here are the 2 main reasons why:

1. The game is set to be released around Christmas. That means that unless Brawl is release in 2008, then all the hype the Mario vs Sonic idea would get would be transferred to Brawl and no one would buy the Olympics game. It's like why would you buy a sports game where they race and throw discus when you can buy a game and they will beat the sh*t out of each other.

2. Legality. Now that the Sonic vs Mario idea is tied to the Oympics, the Olympic committee would be stupid to allow that idea to be transfer to other games within a certain timeframe. Like they would have the right to withhold licensing of the Olympic logos, titles, and whatnot from SEGA if another Mario vs Sonic type game was announced to be released within 6 months (more likely a year) prior to or after the release of the Mario vs Sonic Olympics Game.

So unless Brawl gets pushed to Summer of 2008, then Sonic will not be in Brawl so stop asking. Although if there is some kind of downloadable content then he may be released later on (IE he is programmed in along with several super hidden characters, but in order to earn them you must d/l a code from Nintendo to unlock them, but even that's doubtful)

Besides, having Sonic in the game would totally overshadow having Snake in the game, making Konami feel like it was a waste to give Nintendo the rights to add him in,

Kirye

Smash Ace
Actually, he doesn't have to be in the game. Sonic did fine by himself all through the Genesis era, even with Tails and Knuckles as sidekicks every now and again. Shadow is just a half ***** clone of Sonic.

Also, if Sonic makes it into Brawl, then it would only be him representing Sega. Him being third party, it makes it harder to add him and a multitude of other characters from his franchise when they have such little room for other third parties.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Still u gotta check the poses, there quite similair and I doubt the guys at IGN/Sega would take time to make CG models of mario and sonic running just for a joke...

Still this may be historic, but its doesnt intrigue me, sure it does but not as much as if sonic were to be revealed in Brawl, THAT would have made me jump off my seat and run around my front yard screaming: Sonic is in brawl!! while doing flips in the air...
You took the words right out of my mouth.

And Sucide fox that sure is a Major killer of ever having Sonic in. I think it may depend on release dates if the Olimpic game came first people would buy that then Brawl comes out a few months later in '07 theen buying of Brawl.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Although this seems like the chances of Sonic being in Brawl is greater, it is actually less and here are the 2 main reasons why:

1. The game is set to be released around Christmas. That means that unless Brawl is release in 2008, then all the hype the Mario vs Sonic idea would get would be transferred to Brawl and no one would buy the Olympics game. It's like why would you buy a sports game where they race and throw discus when you can buy a game and they will beat the sh*t out of each other.

2. Legality. Now that the Sonic vs Mario idea is tied to the Oympics, the Olympic committee would be stupid to allow that idea to be transfer to other games within a certain timeframe. Like they would have the right to withhold licensing of the Olympic logos, titles, and whatnot from SEGA if another Mario vs Sonic type game was announced to be released within 6 months (more likely a year) prior to or after the release of the Mario vs Sonic Olympics Game.

So unless Brawl gets pushed to Summer of 2008, then Sonic will not be in Brawl so stop asking. Although if there is some kind of downloadable content then he may be released later on (IE he is programmed in along with several super hidden characters, but in order to earn them you must d/l a code from Nintendo to unlock them, but even that's doubtful)

Besides, having Sonic in the game would totally overshadow having Snake in the game, making Konami feel like it was a waste to give Nintendo the rights to add him in,
If Sonic is set to be in Brawl, then they would have started development on him last year. I agree that if he isnt being developed right now, he wont be in it... You do know though, that if this game is real, then Brawl likely will be released in 2008 right? Because with this Olympics game, Metroid and Galaxy already on the 2007 release list, Brawl cant be released this year without cannibalizing one of those three major games...

That last point about overshadowing Snake is also very shallow, since it wasnt Konami but the creator Kojima who asked for Snake to be in. Konami may be lending Nintendo the rights and whatnot, but in this case Snake is being added in as a favor to Snake's creator. They have no power over Nintendo's character inclusion policy, and Konami cant feel like it was a waste since it was one of their own who prompted Snake's inclusion in Brawl in the first place...

Kirye

Smash Ace

1. You'd have a fighting game for those who like fighting games, and a Sonic party versus Mario party game, where it has not only Sonic, but Knuckles, Tails, Eggman, Shadow possibly, etc. It would just show that Sonic and Mario will star in more games together.

2. Not exactly. The IOC doesn't necessarily lose anything from having Sonic star in other games after this one. Also, Super Smash Bros. Brawl isn't a "Mario vs. Sonic" game, it's a pitting of every Nintendo all-star. That would be like saying that Snake cannot star in any other games now because he's confirmed for Smash Bros. This game, after one drop of information leaked on the first day, gained amazing publicity. Just because Smash Bros. releases around the same time as this game, doesn't mean people won't buy this game. I'm not buying this new game because it's "Ohhh, Sonic vs. Mario!", but because it's a new party game, new games, and this time it's Sonic and his friends against Mario with his.

Not unless Sonic is already in the roster. Sega and Nintendo decided not to leak any information about Sonic being in, but with Brawl being in the works, and this game just suddenly appearing pitting Brawl's most wanted character with Mario, it makes you wonder if he's already in, in which case, what would the IOC do then?

And Snake being in is because Hideo begged Sakurai to include Snake. Snake's new game, MGS4, is appearing on the PS3, hence the publicity thing doesn't work as well putting him into a Nintendo game, does it? If someone bought a Wii, and Smash Bros Brawl, because they wanted to play with Snake, then the publicity worked in Nintendo's favor mostly. Nonetheless, Snake's in the game, he's already confirmed, and he's already being recognized before the game even releases. It's not about being overshadowed, we know he's there, we know who he is.

Because with this Olympics game, Metroid and Galaxy already on the 2007 release list, Brawl cant be released this year without cannibalizing one of those three major games...
Sakurai and Sora have nothing to do with the new Olympics game, Metroid or Mario Galaxy, the game could just as easily release this year.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I disagree Chepe. Nintendo really needs to give us something to play after summer. Their biggest strength is games like Brawl, which would do great in sales during the Holidays. If they feel that insecure about releasing 3 major games (M&S is more akin to a Mario sports title in this sense), they'll have to put off Corruption (since Galaxy's confirmed as an '07 title).

Chepe

Smash Lord
But games can change release dates or years. Brawl was intended to be a launch title was it not? And dont get me started on Twilight Princess... -_-

Delays. Intentional or required. Brawl can be pushed back to 2008 if they feel the need to. They dont "need" to give us anything...

Stryks

Smash Hero
guys look Galaxy and MP3 will be revealed rite around summer I believe, they usually do for games like this, but nintendo knows that SSB series is one of there biggest creations yet, they know melee was the #1 GC game, and brawl will probably be for wii, so what time of year do games ell more? around christmas, and I bet it rite around there they;ll sell brawl, I believe this is just a apirl fools joke, but I dont know really we'll just have to wait and see...

And I doubt they'll push brawl for 08, they have been telling us for almost a year it will be released in 07, they must have a deadline by the end of this year, so I doubt they'll push the release one more year...

Kirye

Smash Ace
guys look Galaxy and MP3 will be revealed rite around summer I believe, they usually do for games like this, but nintendo knows that SSB series is one of there biggest creations yet, they know melee was the #1 GC game, and brawl will probably be for wii, so what time of year do games ell more? around christmas, and I bet it rite around there they;ll sell brawl, I believe this is just a apirl fools joke, but I dont know really we'll just have to wait and see...

And I doubt they'll push brawl for 08, they have been telling us for almost a year it will be released in 07, they must have a deadline by the end of this year, so I doubt they'll push the release one more year...
Actually, Galaxy was officially pushed to November by Miyamoto at GDC.

And how is this an april fools joke? It's on the front page of Sega and Nintendo! >.<

I

i8waffles612

I would rather have Sonic in Brawl than him being in this Olympics Game and not in Brawl... thats just my opinion

Stryks

Smash Hero
Dont get ur hopes up parrot head, its on sega.com and nintendo.com (or so I heard, havent checked actually)... seriously instead of a crossover adventure game they came up with an olimpic style game?? man thats just lame...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
But games can change release dates or years. Brawl was intended to be a launch title was it not? And dont get me started on Twilight Princess... -_-

Delays. Intentional or required. Brawl can be pushed back to 2008 if they feel the need to. They dont "need" to give us anything...
Brawl wasn't technically a launch title. It would've been "Melee Online", with no new characters, stages, or items. So there.

Anyway, my point was Nintendo'd be crazy not to get Brawl out at Xmas. And your reasoning for a delay was to avoid big names overlapping at year's end. If that is the case, I think Ninty would push back Corruption over Brawl.

Of course, if the game isn't finished, then yeah: keep it in development.

I

i8waffles612

I've never played an Olympics game, though. So IF this game is for real, then I guess there is no harm trying it

Stryks

Smash Hero
Oh dear god its going to happen!! NOO!!... *sigh* I hope AT LEAST we can get some weird story mode, but not mario party type story mode, a REAL freakin story, maybe like u c the entire mario gang arguing with the sonic gang who is faster/better at sports mario or sonic, adn thus this thing happens... idk... god how could they have toughed of THIS?!

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
well, if i was a gambling man, id say 100% sonic is in now. but i'm not so i'll say 99.99% confirmed.

All I need is some clues about Mega

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
IMO, this increases the chances of Sonic being in Brawl, but also increases the chances of SSBB releasing later than we'd like (i.e. sometime this time next year). Nintendo already has Galaxy scheduled for the holiday season, perhaps MP3 will come out around October/November (with Galaxy November/December), which pushes SSBB out to 1st quarter 2008. They might have gotten away and snuck SSBB into the 2007 Q3/4 lineup, but with the hype surrounding M&S Olympics, they'll probably hold off any other Mario & Sonic announcements till later.

Tis a pity.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Dont get ur hopes up parrot head, its on sega.com and nintendo.com (or so I heard, havent checked actually)... seriously instead of a crossover adventure game they came up with an olimpic style game?? man thats just lame...
Well, there are several large things going on, like the LEGO Batman video game and NiGHTS 2. They are probably also April Fools jokes. I still remember the gPod, Zelda: The Wind Waker (Twilight Princess style), and a Virtual Boy style GBA SP with Virtual Boy games in GBA carts.

Komayto

Smash Apprentice
Well, there are several large things going on, like the LEGO Batman video game and NiGHTS 2. They are probably also April Fools jokes. I still remember the gPod, Zelda: The Wind Waker (Twilight Princess style), and a Virtual Boy style GBA SP with Virtual Boy games in GBA carts.
Yeah, but this is bigger than anything you mentioned. For example, that TWW prank was just by one magazine.
This one, however, was announced by both Nintendo and Sega and it even uses the Olympic Games logo. If it does end up being a prank, it's amazingly well done.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I was rather surprised at first that it's an Olympics game, but hey, it's Nintendo. They take sports, add Mario characters, bend the rules around in odd ways and the end product is a really fun and wacky game. I'm expecting this to end up the same way.

I personally believe that this game's existence does increase his chances to get in Brawl. I'm sure Nintendo understands what it would be like for fans to KNOW that it would be possible (which is exactly what this game's existence proves), but not have him in anyway. It would just not be a good decision.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I don't think so.

I don't know, maybe it would be kind of lame, but I don't seem to care. I'm just shocked to see that Mario and Sonic will finally be in a game together!!!

Black/Light

Smash Master
I completely agree with Matt.C's blog. . .
"I think some of you were expecting a Mario and Sonic platformer of some sort, but really, this title makes much more sense to me. It is, when you break it down, Wii Sports + Olympics + Mario + Sonic + online. What the hell is not to like about that? This game could very well be the next biggest thing since Wii Sports. Do not downplay its existence. If it is done right, it could be one of Wii's best-sellers of the year.

Some gamers also seem to have missed out on the significance of this announcement. Nintendo and SEGA are actively working together on a cross-license product. Do you honestly believe that Sonic won't be in Super Smash Bros. Brawl at this point? Of course he will! It would be an injustice if the mascot wasn't.

Am I the only one excited about this project?"

http://blogs.ign.com/BlogPage.aspx?blog=matt-ign
And the games REAL DAMMIT! They have, in like ONE day, done 4 interviews about it. . . they would sure be wasting alot of PR and research hours time for a April Fools joke. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom