• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
So this could probably work with any character. Let's say your opponent is reconering and doesn't grab the ledge. If right when they are above the stage, you footstool them so that they land near the ledge, would this put them in a tech chase? Or should you just go for the jab lock? I guess it'd depend on your confidence.

It'd be pretty hard to get that footstool though, so my apologies if it's already been discovered and just isn't commonly uesd.

Tesh

Smash Hero
because a footstool obviously sends you up, only certain characters can be jablocked after sonic footstools them

if he had a short jump like mk he could footstool to nair lock anyone, but he jumps too high and falls too slow to make that happen in most situations.

I techchase out of footstools ALOT, and its definitely worth doing sometimes, especially near the ledge.

Surprisingly, alot of people don't realize they can be tech chased by an airborne sonic so they just stand up in place for some reason.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Oh, right. I forgot how it's hard to get the jab lock cuz I didn't go for it when I thought of doing the tech chase. :/

Labernash

Smash Lord
Okay, so what's the general thought process for Sonic when playing Sonic? General idea specific to Sonic. What should I be looking for and trying to accomplish, aside from taking stocks and whatnot, obviously.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Basically building upon what KID said, but always remember that Sonic's ground speed closes the gap so quickly that you can punish or escape from situations far more easily than you'd think because, well, you're just that fast. If your opponent is pressing buttons on the other side of the screen, you can get there no problem. Or like, if a MK tornadoes into your shield and tries to back away, you'll be right in their face to pick them up. They love that.

Also because of Sonic having moves that turn you into a ball that can be shield canceled, you have all the right tools to condition your opponent into certain patterns and then just open them up.

So, yeah, it's a bait and punish style.

:093:

Last edited:

Labernash

Smash Lord
Okay, thanks guys that helps!

I'm going to try running around a lot more; I typically just wait in one spot until it's time to actually do something. I'll run around in that interval I reckon. Help me be less predictable it seems

Tesh

Smash Hero
Run up and shield. Then grab. Charge Spindash.

Follow up recklessly when these options connect.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Reading KID's dissections with the videos, learning a lot.

I definitely need to start grabbing more. Every Sonic does it way more than I think to, and it works. Also working on the follow ups thereof. Keeping that in mind, thanks Tesh!

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
It's been awhile since I've been on you guys board. Now I was just curious did you guys ever figure out what made Sonic hit double hits off of his spin dash? I believe you all came to the conclusion that the opponent had to be on the edge of the stage or something along those lines.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Basically building upon what KID said, but always remember that Sonic's ground speed closes the gap so quickly that you can punish or escape from situations far more easily than you'd think because well, you're just that fast. If your opponent is pressing buttons on the other said of the screen, you can get there no problem. Or like, if a MK tornadoes into your shield and tries to back away, you'll be right in their face to pick them up. They love that.

Also because of Sonic having moves that turn you into a ball that can be shield canceled, you have all the right tools to condition your opponent into certain patterns and then just open them up.

So, yeah, it's a bait and punish style.

So yea my favorite thing to do with MetaKnights is dair through the center when i have a grounded spring to set up for a
uair kill or if the first uair doesn't work i make sure i land before doing the dair so tthat i can double jump uair or if they're really low damage or heavy weight spring to uair #Sonicftw :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic: :sonic:

D

Deleted member 189823

Quick (please), give me a basic rundown on how to use Sonic.
I want to use him just for fun to humilliate a friend who stopped using him and went over with MK.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Turn into a ball and go fast.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Quick (please), read the thread.

This and more is found on the front page of this thread.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I need a little advice on gimping Ike I usually go for the down air
Dair isn't very reliable because if your opponent DI's up, the hit will just send them up. You have to rely on them not properly DI-ing it to get the "spike" effect.

If Ike is recovering low with UpB, it's not that great of a move. You can pretty easily drop a spring in his path and **** him up. If you don't do that your other option is to time an instant edgehog while he's rising (to avoid the hits of the UpB) and either A.) he was low enough to be successfuly gimp, or B.) he predicted this and aimed for above the ledge, but just by grabbing the ledge and forcing him to recover above already puts you in the advantageous position. While he's recovering from the UpB's landing lag, you have a window to capitalize on and punish (hopefully with a grab > bthrow to get him back off the stage and continue applying that edgeguard pressure).

His SideB is also pretty unsafe. You can basically follow the same formula that I listed for the latter half of the UpB. If he aims straight for the ledge, it's really straightforward to just instant edgehog him because the SideB only has one hit and he falls immediately afterword. If he aims for above the ledge, just come back from the ledge and punish like mentioned before, or if you don't go for the ledge, just shield the hit and punish. SideB is incredibly unsafe on block (and honestly it's even usually unsafe on hit).

Ike is very gimpable, especially for Sonic. I'm sure the more you play the matchup and learn how to properly utilize all of Sonic's tools and better understand edgeguarding it'll be "Too easy! Piece of cake!"

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
side-B: you can press shield while it's charging on the ground, until it's fully charged.

down-B: in the air, release the down-B and then hold shield while it lands on the ground. Note that if you land while the control-stick is pointing backwards then it can't shield-cancel you'll do a stupid turnaround instead.

Baiting people by hopping and down-B'ing at the floor in front of your opponent and shield-cancelling it is a great way to bait attacks out of them, then grab them when they hit your shield.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Get under ike and stagespike him as he is rising from his up b. only problem is if he techs

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Get behind ike and stagespike him (with bair) as he is rising from his up b. only problem is if he techs

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
ROB is all about zoning. It's insufficient to be watching for his moves' start-up times (e.g. laser, Nair that are slow to start) and avoid them -- you have to know which areas around him he can cover, and any time you're in those spaces, know how you'll get out when the attack comes.

Laser and gyro are his way to control the stage area. Get comfortable moving around them, seeing when they're coming and avoiding them. Like just consider it part of your movement that those things will happen and you'll have to avoid them. Then it's just a matter of getting in -- safely. His moves tend to cover very specific regions around his robot body. So weave in+out, watch the spacings/timings, find moments when you're actually safe to hit. ASC->shieldcancel out of his ftilt/fsmash range sometimes to bait them (can dash-attack punish but that's not safe at some %s even if it hits, if he can like Nair you after or smthg), ASC->shieldcancelgrab him up close, etc. Grabs are happy. And we have a cool footstool-lock on ROB but it's hard to get a whole lot of damage from it I think?

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
What should I know about Sonic (or in general) in Project M?
I've been playing it casually and noticed it's very different from Brawl. Are there any Sonic Project M Vids?

Top Bottom