• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pit Questions Thread

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
i got a question you prolly dont know but how many arrows can pit fire in say a min or just like a rate of fire? also can you name the chars that are faster then pit.
...Well I can't say this with any TIMED certainty, as I have never fired arrows for a straight minute with a stopwatch in hand, but i have played an awful lot of Pit recently and what I can say is that the arrows are a very good spammable move.

I fI had to put a number to it, I'd say something like 30-40 a minute or something like that. the arrows come out very fast and are nothing like Link's where you have to draw the arrow back all the way to control it's distance. Press B once, compared to holding it down, the arrow fires almsot immedaitely and goes straight across the stage. It's a great annoyance tactic for racking up a few extra damage when they are far away from you.

Many characters can duck or crawl under the normal straight trajectory, but you can just curve it down at the right time with practice and still hit them. Sonic is particularly annoying with this, as all of his spin dash moves that travel on the ground, travel underneath the arrow's straight line height, so you have to curve it to hit him which is not always easy as he's moving fast.

(Also interesting note, you can't hold the arrow forever, holding down B will not increase the damage or range, and evevntually, after about 4-5 seconds of holding down B, the arrow will automatically fire.)

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
please talk noob talk so i might understand =D
In regards to:

Falco's lasershave more hitstun, but Pit's arrows have better utility than Falco's lasers due to the difficulty of the SHDL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Falco's laser is harder to use becasue you need to continually peform a short-hop jump and laser at the same time to approach an enemy. Whereas Pit's arrows, although not having the disruptive power that Falco's laser balsts do, they are more geenrrally useful/easier to use since you jsut press B and then can curve the arrows as they move.
1.You can't sub a smash attack with his Side -B move, if that's what you are implying. His Smash attack doesn't give him any forward momentum, but it's an effective kill move. His Side-B only has continous knock back.

...so it depends on what your looking for.

Falco : pro - More stun to enemy with a hit , con - harder to perform properly, only shoots forward

Pit : pro - easy to use, has more utility in that you can curve to arrows to many angles and trajectories , con - not as much stun when hitting an enemy

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Intro

Oh and Hi!...

...the names Cobra as my ummm...name says, but yeah, A friend of mine has a copy of Japanese Brawl and I've been playing a lot of Pit as well as Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and occasionally others so I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. I just like it here because Pit is going to be my main with Sheik and Zero as secondaries, so I've played him the most out of anyone.

I've probably logged about 30+ hours playing the game, not a huge amount, but enough to get a sense for the game and for Pit in general. I'll just act as a resource to Phoenix if he needs any secondary opinions or if I can answer questions here and there for people.

Oh and Hi!...

...the names Cobra as my ummm...name says, but yeah, A friend of mine has a copy of Japanese Brawl and I've been playing a lot of Pit as well as Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and occasionally others so I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. I just like it here because Pit is going to be my main with Sheik and Zero as secondaries, so I've played him the most out of anyone.

I've probably logged about 30+ hours playing the game, not a huge amount, but enough to get a sense for the game and for Pit in general. I'll just act as a resource to Phoenix if he needs any secondary opinions or if I can answer questions here and there for people.
Thanks alot Cobra. Your help is appreciated!! =D

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
In regards to:

Falco's lasershave more hitstun, but Pit's arrows have better utility than Falco's lasers due to the difficulty of the SHDL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Falco's laser is harder to use becasue you need to continually peform a short-hop jump and laser at the same time to approach an enemy. Whereas Pit's arrows, although not having the disruptive power that Falco's laser balsts do, they are more geenrrally useful/easier to use since you jsut press B and then can curve the arrows as they move.
1.You can't sub a smash attack with his Side -B move, if that's what you are implying. His Smash attack doesn't give him any forward momentum, but it's an effective kill move. His Side-B only has continous knock back.

...so it depends on what your looking for.

Falco : pro - More stun to enemy with a hit , con - harder to perform properly, only shoots forward

Pit : pro - easy to use, has more utility in that you can curve to arrows to many angles and trajectories , con - not as much stun when hitting an enemy
thanks for explaining that so i can understand also thanks bout the arrows.

Leonhart

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I know that Pit's bow changes into two swords for regular fighting, but can it turn into a double-sword as well?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Ninja

Okay, I know that Pit's bow changes into two swords for regular fighting, but can it turn into a double-sword as well?
Well, considering that the bow splits from the middle into two swords, I suppose you could consider the bow itself to be a double sword. His UAir and NAir as well as his Forward B and Rapid A attacks all involve him spinning the bow around for multiple hits, so the illusion works.

Plus, the Bow doesn't really have a drawstring if you look at it, at least not until he pulls back to shoot the arrow. I'm guessing the rings around his wrist create the drawstring and arrows magically and the 'Bow' is really just a double Sword to begin with

...in the end, if you want it to be a double sword, you can have it however you want. It's ALL IN YOUR MIND MAN!

Plus, Pit is clearly a ninja, Double sword, Twin Swords, Bow...it don't matter...he kicks ***.

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
can you change the direction of pit's up-b (go left half the time then go right the other half)?

Pit has complete control over which direction he wants to fly in during his up B. I'm not sure if it lastslong enough for going very far left and right though.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Speaking of Wings of Pegasus, I heard that the amount of time he stays afloat varies depending on his damage percentage. Is this true?

How exactly does Pit's up special work? Do you have to press the special or jump button over and over to keep flying for a short amount of time, or does he fly automatically and you simply tilt the direction you want to go (like Yoshi's and Sonic's Final Smash)?

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
You press Up-b or Up-Special then you enter a flying state(where you're blue) then you can move the direction you want to go and you can go there and you can still attack, but be warned you cannot jump while you are in that flying state nor can you jump or use it again when hit out of it. So it is recommenced to save your Up-B or Up-Special.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
How exactly does Pit's up special work? Do you have to press the special or jump button over and over to keep flying for a short amount of time, or does he fly automatically and you simply tilt the direction you want to go (like Yoshi's and Sonic's Final Smash)?
This post will hopefully quell all of the Up+B questions i have seen on this page:

Here's how the save works -

When you press Up+B initally, you enter into a hover state, basically, you will stay about the height you are at for about 5 seconds before the affect wears off and you enter a falling state. While in the hover, you have full range of motion,

A) Pressing B repeatedly will cause Pit to flap his wings to rise up at a slow rate, then medium, allowing him to go REALLY REALLY high if you mash b and are not interrupted in the process. While rising, you have complete control of Pit's movement left and right and such until the technique wears off and you enter a falling state, or you can attack out of it to cancel.

B) ...I haven't tested this, but i have never noted a shorter time in the Up+B animation at higher percentages.

C) WARNING : IF YOU ARE HIT DURING THE ANIMATION, YOU CANNOT USE UP+B AGAIN, you will plummet to your death if off the stage.

what if the grab can set up for a combo?
The "what if" is completely hypothetical, and can't necessarily even apply in ths situation. Just as Resident stated, grabs have little stun, so you can't do set ups as well as in Melee. But, most of the time with Pit when you grab and D-throw, the animation ends very quickly, allowing you to possibly follow up with a Uair. I've done this many times, but you have to react quickly.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Throw Tactics

I agree with Phoenix. I use grabs all the time still, but Pit's grab range is relatively short and normally you'd like to keep your distance with Pit unless you're going in for the kill. In the event that I do grab someone, I normally do a down throw to combo them for more damage in the air, or throw them off an edge to get some arrow spamming off so I have a better chance of killing with a kill move.

...Most of the time, I would say down throw is your best bet if you can back-throw them off the edge. Then combo with a Up-Air, or see if you can fake them into making a move so you can bair them and get the kill for sure.

If you get the back throw and want to be brave, chase off the edge for a Fair or Bair...you have 3 more jumps and your UP+B to save you, so normally it's safe and worth the effort. Either that, or Arrow spam for another 15-20% as they try to recover.

I agree with Phoenix. I use grabs all the time still, but Pit's grab range is relatively short and normally you'd like to keep your distance with Pit unless you're going in for the kill. In the event that I do grab someone, I normally do a down throw to combo them for more damage in the air, or throw them off an edge to get some arrow spamming off so I have a better chance of killing with a kill move.

...Most of the time, I would say down throw is your best bet if you can back-throw them off the edge. Then combo with a Up-Air, or see if you can fake them into making a move so you can bair them and get the kill for sure.

If you get the back throw and want to be brave, chase off the edge for a Fair or Bair...you have 3 more jumps and your UP+B to save you, so normally it's safe and worth the effort. Either that, or Arrow spam for another 15-20% as they try to recover.
Yes, also very true.

Pit's grab range is relatively small, and shield grabbing is more difficult when your opponent spaces.

To Pit mains: Above said strategy is essential for for Pit to get low percentage kills.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Tier Projections

I have a question for you Phoenix, or rather I'd like your assessment/opinion on a matter:

, Now I know full well that it is FAR too early to start assigning character to tiers and speculating on who is going to be the best or what not, but let's theorize here. We are both experienced players who have logged some good time with Pit, and I'm sure you played Melee as much as I did, and probably more...so we should eb able to make a somewhat educated guess as to where he might end up based off of some simple observation.

Projections: How do you think Pit will end up if their is the tier system of Top , Upper, High, Mid, Low again. If possible we can use other characters as a comparison, and focus on his strengths and weaknesses as we see him now.

Weight : I'd say he's on the heavier side of Light, but still a Light Weight.

Save : It's defintiely strong and will save him from bascially any height or length, but it's VERY easily exploitable for anyone who knows what theya re doing with a projectile. I would almsot say that Pit's greatest enemy in this realm is himself.

Speed: He's decently fast with his attacks, but not so much with his movements or jumps. He's got four jumps, but he's not always the easiest to control in the air when put up agaisnt others.

Power: I'd say he's got about 2 decent kill moves for enemies around 120% , his BAir and his FSmash (Sweet spotted BAir possibly kills at lower). At higher percentages, his FAir may kill as well as his DSmash and his FTilt and dash A.

Mind Games: Not to say they can't be done with all characters, but being able to cancel out of your Up+B and the ability to move into the glide and either use it to dodge or move into a sudden unexpected attack, I think Pit does well here. Also, with two reflectors, and good air maneuverability, I think that an intelligent Pit player should be able to do a LOT with mind games.

I'd say this might put him in the Mid-High tier, kind of like Melee Samus --> Can recover from most anything, strong at pelting from a distance, good when players come inside if you know what moves to use. Of course they are fundamentally different in a lot of ways, but it's the best analog I could come up with.

...what do you think Phoenix?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Everyone intelligent that has played the game thinks Pit will be top tier or high tier at least.

Come now, do you really think he could be any lower then high tier?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Everyone intellligent that has played the game thinks Pit will be top tier or high tier at least.

Come now, do you really think he could be any lower then high tier?
...fair enoguh. I agree with you, no i don't really see him placed under High, I just added that in to not influence thought too much. Perosnally I see him as High, but not top, mostly becasue of his weight and his save. If it can be easily gimped, the save would keep him out of the top tier imo.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm fairly certain Pit could just glide back to the stage with no problems.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
how useful is pits side b?

i used to think it sucks but now i think differently when playing aggressively.

i know his bair is the ****. but what about using fair since shield grabbing is a lot more useful in brawl.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
What is wrong with Pit's weight? I constantly live forever with him.
At 60%, I was hit with Pikachu's Down A, then he Down+B'd me and I died off the top of the stage....and yes, I was trying to DI out of it.

...besides that however, Pit is not a tank for damage. From what I've seen, I'd say he's at the heavy side of the light column, but I suppose that's open to interpretation.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
When using pit's up B, do you have to repeatedly tap buttons to fly up, or do you just control it with the control stick?
Posted this about two pages ago, jsut copied and pasted from there...

------------------------------------------------------

This post will hopefully quell all of the Up+B questions i have seen on this page:

Here's how the save works -

When you press Up+B initally, you enter into a hover state, basically, you will stay about the height you are at for about 5 seconds before the affect wears off and you enter a falling state. While in the hover, you have full range of motion,

A) Pressing B repeatedly will cause Pit to flap his wings to rise up at a slow rate, then medium, allowing him to go REALLY REALLY high if you mash b and are not interrupted in the process. While rising, you have complete control of Pit's movement left and right and such until the technique wears off and you enter a falling state, or you can attack out of it to cancel.

B) ...I haven't tested this, but i have never noted a shorter time in the Up+B animation at higher percentages.

C) WARNING : IF YOU ARE HIT DURING THE ANIMATION, YOU CANNOT USE UP+B AGAIN, you will plummet to your death if off the stage.

impulse346

Smash Cadet
ahh, alright thanks I was really wondering how it works. sorry for posting the same question again I read a lot of the pages but didn't see anything about up B, I should of read more. :ohwell:

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
Alright this is really serious and important for me. I would love if anyone who plays Pit can help.
I pre-ordered my copy of Brawl and Gamestop, they are going to have the big tournament as well as a midnight launch. My friends have downloaded the game and played it on their modded Wiis. They also plan to go to the tournament. What should I do to atleast have a chance at the tournament? I've been watching Pit videos like crazy and trying to understand everything Pit so I could at least stand a chance. Please someone help me?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Is Pit a good counter for Marth and Fox?
Also, can Pit's shield reflect Thrown Pikmin?

Top Bottom