• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

- Official Pikachu Power Rankings - 9/1/09

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Official Pikachu Power Rankings

What is this list???
This is our forum's power rankings thread. It's a list of the most successful Pikas in our community, in rank order, composed by select members of the Pikachu Back Room. The goal of this is not to put anyone down; rather, it is to inspire each other to perform well at tournaments and to create some healthy competition.

Rankings will not be changed until the next time we decide to update them. If you disagree with them, that's fine; however, the panelists chosen are among the most knowledgeable about the Pikachu community, and we debated in the most objective, unbiased manner possible. Rankings are based largely on tournament performance.

In light of how heated discussions like these can get (and have gotten in the past), this thread will be heavily moderated. Trolling, flaming, and similar offenses will get you infracted. Fair warning.

And now, the list!

The Panelists: ESAM, KayLo!, Kenny, K Prime

The List - September 2009:
Updated every 2 months

1. Anther (Michigan)
2. PikaPika! (New York)
3. Z (Nevada)
4. ESAM (Florida)
5. Stealth Raptor (Kansas)
6. King Yoshi (Ohio)
7. Kenny (a.k.a. K-9) (Virginia)
8. Gallax (Florida)

Honorable Mentions: Miquel (Spain), BadNewsBear (Texas), K Prime (Texas), Legendary Pikachu (North Carolina)

*Note on Miquel: While we recognize Miquel as a very skilled Pikachu player worthy of being ranked, his being in Spain makes it impossible for us to objectively compare him to US players.

Let's keep any discussion clean, people. :mad:

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Could you also put up reasons as to why they're on there?
All players on the list are ranked where they are based on competitive (tournament and mm) results, taking into consideration their actual placings, tournament size, whether they regularly face OOS/OOC talent or remain only in their region, who they beat/lost to, and the strength of their region. Listing why exactly each person is where they are would take forever, hehe, and is really unnecessary.... basically, each person has better results than the person underneath them, and so on.

We also watched a fair amount of vids and have seen matches from nearly everyone on the list.

King~

Smash Champion
cute =D

whys esam so low im curious from my knowledge he places better than bear and prime.

especially for a list based largely on tourney rankings <.<

gallax

Smash Hero
it has to do with esam having funny wins against afro and seibrik and lambchops while never beating anyone else in particular other than hungrybox, which was a while ago. he only ever plays with them and against them. bear on the other hand does go out and play other players and win and so does prime. they are more expereinced against more people.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Basically what Gallax said.

I asked ESAM for his recent tourney results, and he only had two results for us. Both of them were top-placing, but when we broke down all of his wins, many of them were under odd circumstances (a split, a fake mm that was actually just a friendly, Seibrik going DDD to teach someone else the matchup) or not impressive enough to challenge the wins that Prime and Bear have pulled off.

ESAM is a very good player, but he plays the same people and never goes OOC/OOS. Bear and Prime have beaten strong players in an overall stronger region (a note on Prime: he mainly plays in SA, but he's played OOC players in mms and at WHOBO), and Bear in particular has traveled, played a variety of people, and continued to do well outside of people in his region.

King~

Smash Champion
prime travels instate <.< how is that any diffrent at all

and even though i love bear, he CPs frequently and he uses just as much marth,mk,insert other character(s) here as he does pikachu

but from the looks of things ur not basing this on how much chu is actually used but more players them selves.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
No, we addressed how often people actually used Pikachu (in particular for Bear and Bigman).

Also, you completely ignored .... 50% of what I said about ESAM's results, lol.

bigman40

Smash Master
The List:
1. Anther
2. Z
3. PikaPika!
4. BadNewsBear
5. K Prime
6. ESAM
7. Kenny (a.k.a. K-9)
8. Stealth Raptor
9. Legendary Pikachu
10. Bigman (a.k.a. Scatz/Rai!)

Oh wow.....I just got mindgamed hard......I completely did not expect to be on this list lol.....

....Zuzuzu.....

King~

Smash Champion
No, we addressed how often people actually used Pikachu (in particular for Bear and Bigman).

Also, you completely ignored .... 50% of what I said about ESAM's results, lol.

urs took longer to write lol, when i hit reply urs wasnt there yet(and it took me a couple of minutes cause i almost died coughin again).

i didnt ignore u champ o.*

couldnt the same be said for esam thats said for prime, in a diffrent light that is, that he had to beat other players some who likely traveled to his city to get to the top to be able to split in the first place??

stuff....... i had something else but i stopped thinkin and it escaped me, im done for now then 8D

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
urs took longer to write lol, when i hit reply urs wasnt there yet(and it took me a couple of minutes cause i almost died coughin again).

i didnt ignore u champ o.*

couldnt the same be said for esam thats said for prime, in a diffrent light that is, that he had to beat other players some who likely traveled to his city to get to the top to be able to split in the first place??

stuff....... i had something else but i stopped thinkin and it escaped me, im done for now then 8D
Champ?! :mad:

None of the other people ESAM beat were that great, trust me, lol. We mainly looked at wins over state power rankers or players widely known to be very good.

Also, from Stealth: #slap !

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
lol thank you kaylo ;) we really did a bang up job on this list, and we had some good debates going. we had 3 main arguing points, and they all worked out well. i think this list was agreed on by everyone lol

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Now if only I could find some PikaPika! vids......
Anyway, Nice list! Though really I don't think it was needed :) This isn't the Marth/Peach boards with all that internal conflict over who is better.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
I was hoping someone would do something like this. Good job guys! If possible though I would mention (or emphasize the "in our community part") that this is only pikachu's we know about, since good ones tend to pop up every now and then and it might inspire them to speak up or actually post their results.

Personally I still like stealths pika more then kenny's (no offense kenny), but I know the rankings probably werent about anything subjective like that.

@Wiscus This list is helpful to me for the me for the matchup rankings thread. I just sent out PM's to the top 8 placers who hadn't sent me lists yet.

altairian

Smash Lord
Now if only I could find some PikaPika! vids......
Anyway, Nice list! Though really I don't think it was needed :) This isn't the Marth/Peach boards with all that internal conflict over who is better.
I think it was done more to promote friendly competition among the pikachu community and give something for unrecognized pikachus to strive for. It's also a nice resource for new members of the community like myself to look at and see who other than anther is worthwhile to watch videos of for educational purposes.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The OP needs moar yellow!
*hiss!*

No. I don't really like yellow..... the Volt Tackle Videos thread is bad enough. :mad:

(Fun fact: Whenever I edit OPs, I try to keep the original formatting as much as possible..... but it was a struggle for the vid thread. *twitch*)

No internal conflict?! Clearly you've never been around for The Great ESAM Debates. x.x

Also, what the people I quoted below said.

If possible though I would mention (or emphasize the "in our community part") that this is only pikachu's we know about, since good ones tend to pop up every now and then and it might inspire them to speak up or actually post their results.
Yeah, that's something everyone should keep in mind.... there's no way that we could research every tournament from the past couple of months looking for unknown Pikas, so there may be mystery Pikachu players out there doing really well (although I feel like we'd have heard about them by now if they were placing well in major areas).

Z popped out of virtually nowhere, for instance.

I really hope that this encourages people to submit vids and report their tournament results more often so that we can keep track of the success of our community. It makes you look better, and it helps newer players, so everyone wins.

Tournament Results/Rankings thread, btw: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224329

I think it was done more to promote friendly competition among the pikachu community and give something for unrecognized pikachus to strive for. It's also a nice resource for new members of the community like myself to look at and see who other than anther is worthwhile to watch videos of for educational purposes.
Exactly.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I think it would be a good idea to add the region/state each player plays in and if they travel oos or not.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Mine is turquoise, but favorite colors belong in the social thread. :mad: KENNY.

I'll consider adding some "areas of interest" to the OP, although I don't think it's really necessary, lol..... I'll get to it after I fix up some other threads that need the work more. (Been working on the Stage Discussion for the past day or two.... slowly.....)

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Add the character they use (jk)

I think region is good, but I know if I were on there I wouldnt want that I don't travel out of state when I have to travel hours just to make it to a good tournament with good competition anyways, while others can be said to travel out of state and only have to travel minutes to do so.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
To the Ham-hams who replied to me:
I see now, thank you very much. I hadn't looked at it that way and now that you mention it seeing the list does make me want to get better....
Also I was around as a lurker for some drama but Pika drama has nothing on Marth, Peach or Melee Peach board drama, for real :)
I'm also sorry if I came off being rude!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
One thing about this. Pretty good list actually. However...

What is the difference between Prime being higher than me if he plays in basically is town only (or anywhere else in texas) when I travel in my state only...regardless of the fact that i only beat 4 of the players on the state's PR, that is because i have only played those. You can't assume that every tournament i go to outside of Miami I will always play a top ranker from the other parts of the state (IE CO18, Hungrybox, and HRNut). Also, i just beat afro thundah 3 times yesterday. Once in loser's finals 3-0 (snake) once in a MM with snake (2-1) and once as wario (3-1). Also, I beat Nick RIddle (who happens to be my brother, but you can't discount my tournament win against him) 2-0. I'm not saying i deserve to be higher, but can you add Prime's results or PM them to me so I can see them/who he has beaten? I just wanna compare really, i don't really care otherwise.

Also, you have no judgement on calling people that never go to tournaments good or not good. Several of the people I beat are pretty **** good, but they aren't on the power rankings because 1. they haven't been updated in more than 5 months. 2. People need to go to LOTS of tournament mid-state because apparently those tournament are the only ones that matter for the list... and 3. People can be good and i can still beat them, because i am definitely one of the better players in the region. Also, how do you know my character doesn't just **** that character or I have more experience vs that character so I know perfectly how to beat it. You can't determine who is good/not good unless you play them yourslef, which none of you (with the exception of maybe gallax) has. The only person who can consistently beat me is Seibrik, the #1 in the state. I'm 100% confident against every other person.

Also, i KNOW you guys probably debated my spot over every other player on this list...so I get the fact that HOURS were put into my position...but I still never actually liked this idea.

Who is to say that the top few in FL are better/worse than the top few in TX or the MW. If you wanna go by OOS results that both states were at then fine, but at APEX the top 2 FL players did better than all of texas at that tournament i believe. CO18 got 5th at WHOBO which (correct me if I'm wrong) is better than all of texas besides one player (dojo i think, which i believe is their best player, while CO18 is our 4th).

The idea of a PR for people of completely different regions is idiotic, to be honest. You can't compare regions, and you can't be biased on "which region is better". Also, I heard from somebody who went to NY that pikapika is basically non-existant in tournaments anymore. He has to work too much to really go to any. When was the last tournament he went to?

Also, REGARDLESS of how much I play somebody, beating a top player in the state is still beating a top player in the state. If i played M2K 4 hours a day for a week and then still beat him in tournament, my tournament win isn't any less credibly then it would be if I never played him in my life. Saying that "i play only the same people in my region" can be said for basically everybody who ever wins in their state, so don't pull that card on any of us.

Not trying to inspire hate/flaming or anything like that. I don't care about my position, but some of the poitns you brought up were faulty, and i was just expressing my opinion on them while also showing my opinion on the overall list.

Also, does EVERYBODY on this list play solely pikachu? Does anybody here CP characters to beat their worse matchups? I'm sure this was told, but maybe the results of some people beating other people that were high in their state list was with somebody other than pikachu. Just throwing it out there.

gallax

Smash Hero
esam i argued the same points that you are bringing up, except you have to realize that your results yesterday could not be taken tino consideration since we did this before your tourney.

and dont take this list too seriously. its not meant to inspire anger. its meant to inspire people to get better.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
First, I'm going to address your point that this list is "stupid" and "not perfect."

Durrdurr. Obviously when comparing different players from different regions who play completely different people, the list will never be 100% accurate. That goes for any character PR; however, given what results we had at the time and what we know about each player in the community, we did the best job we could, and I think our list is pretty **** accurate.

As for your beating unknowns..... well, there's nothing we can do with those, because we've never heard of those people and can't just take your word that they're good, lol. I've beaten people who should be on PA's PR list (maybe not high, but at least listed), but they don't go to enough tournaments, so they're not PR-ranked and therefore don't count. That's just how it is.

What you did yesterday will count for the next rankings, but we finished this list days ago. When I sent you a PM asking you who you've beaten in tournament and mms, you sent me back your results, and those are what we went off of. If you sent me the wrong thing or didn't include certain wins, guess what? That's your own **** fault.

TX is a stronger region than FL. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

On the point of people not using Pika in tournament: we asked everyone who they beat with Pikachu and only counted results with significant use of Pikachu. We did recognize that some people (you, Prime, Stealth, etc.) go all Pikachu and that others (Bear, Kenny, Bigman, etc.) frequently CP characters; however, that DOES NOT change the fact that they are successful with Pikachu in tournament. If they're skilled with other characters, that doesn't take away from their skill with Pikachu in any way. That just means they're a versatile player..... we can't fault people for that.

Lastly, on the ESAM vs. Prime debate: We put hours of arguing into your place on the list, trust me. You didn't in any way get the short end of the stick.... if anything, you got the most consideration, because we definitely spent the most time on you, making sure your final placement would be as accurate as possible.

In the end, none of the wins that you sent me for consideration justified placing you above Prime. Although Prime primarily plays in San Antonio, he did go to WHOBO and has played OOC players in money matches. He places first in nearly all of his SA tournaments.... the only person in his region who's even close to his skill is Espy, who he goes slightly better than even with. He has also beaten PhantomX, Hylian, and although we didn't place too much of an emphasis on doubles (like.... barely any), he and Espy took out some strong players in doubles the last tournament they played together. (That's actually more of a side note than anything.)

The bigger issue, however, was that your results were shady at best. Let me remind you again that we were going off of the results you yourself sent me. At that point, you had not beaten your brother in tournament and had actually gotten knocked out by him in tournament. At that point, the only PR-ranked players you beat were Afro, Seibrik, and Chops, and this is how it went:

The "mm" vs. Chops we found out was a fake mm and discounted. Besides that, we've all seen the videos, and the matches weren't impressive.... sorry, I'm just telling you how it is. Neither of you were playing very well.

The win vs. Seibrik's DDD wasn't exactly a huge plus in your favor either.

The win vs. Afro worked in your favor, but c'mon, walk-off CGs? It counted, but it was sort of gimpy. However, point in your favor, you did win the set.

The win vs. Seibrik's MK was in your favor, but the fact that you split at one of the two tournaments you went to for the entire season was kind of a slap in the face to your own results, lol.

At the end of the day, though, this is only a PR on the Pikachu boards. It's meant to inspire new players to get better and for everyone to be more competitive.... if you want to move up the list, go to more tournaments, travel OOS, and submit wins that aren't so questionable. That's all I can tell you. *shrug* If you really don't care, keep doing what you're doing, and other people will shift around you. That's the way it works.

Also, you're forgetting that Gallax was on the panel.... I'm sure he knows the FL region pretty well, so don't assume we're ignorant on how good FL is.

Top Bottom