• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Is there a way to replace PAL and use a skin instead? It doesn't say anything about what the PAL file is called on the 20xx thread. What ya'll got for me B)

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to replace PAL and use a skin instead? It doesn't say anything about what the PAL file is called on the 20xx thread. What ya'll got for me B)
Movesets aren't stored in the costume files, so they're identical between PAL and NTSC (meaning 20XX only has one set of costume files). Also, if it's 20XX related, you should probably post about it in the 20XX thread.

Last edited:

Soggymelons

Smash Rookie
Hi,

well once again I am trying to solve the riddle of why one of Yoshi's textures never seems to change. Also Im hoping that Achilles will put this skin in his 20XX Training Hack Pack ^^ lol I would like to solve this issue beforehand tho,

His skin has changed here,

But here Its just the normal flat white.

Here is the link to the Turtle Yoshi and Stich Yoshi
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0mv4bw55aisem43/Brown_Turtle_Yoshi_(Cyan_Yoshi).zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/61vs1s7481uv5hk/Yoshi_Wooly_World_Stich_Green.rar

Please, if anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.

DRGN

Technowizard
I have something new, awesome, and quite useful!

CCC tab demo.png

Of course, DTW 3 already allows you to do this sort of thing manually, but that can still be kinda slow and tedious.

In many cases, 100% of the textures will be transferred by this automatically. In some cases though, texture files will have one or two textures that are a different size than what's in the other color files (or they might be a different type). I could have made the program adjust the source textures' sizes to match the destination, but in half the cases that would degrade the quality of the texture. So I thought it would be best if I left it up to the user for how they want to tackle the difference. In such cases where the CCC doesn't transfer one or more textures, it will let you know.

Is there something like this for stage select and the rest of the menus?
Not that I know of. But they could be made. Try using DTW to look into the files for those menus. Though many of the colors in the menus are by code, not texture. So you'd have to look around or ask for offsets (locations) in the file where those colors are. Then you can change them directly.

Hi,

well once again I am trying to solve the riddle of why one of Yoshi's textures never seems to change. Also Im hoping that Achilles will put this skin in his 20XX Training Hack Pack ^^ lol I would like to solve this issue beforehand tho,

His skin has changed here,

But here Its just the normal flat white.

Here is the link to the Turtle Yoshi and Stich Yoshi
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0mv4bw55aisem43/Brown_Turtle_Yoshi_(Cyan_Yoshi).zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/61vs1s7481uv5hk/Yoshi_Wooly_World_Stich_Green.rar

Please, if anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.
That texture you're editing is actually part of Yoshi's off-screen textures. The texture you want to change to get your wooly belly is this one:

yoshi belly.png

Note that it doesn't extend all the way to under his tail though. There's another texture for that last little part, at 0x3db60. I think Steelia's files list it as his cheek (maybe he just meant the other kind of cheek!). Here he is with both removed (i.e. the texture "Erase" function in DTW):

TEST01-14.png

Last edited:

Soggymelons

Smash Rookie
Thanks DRGN! I see your using a program other then the Melee Toolkit I downloaded originally. I Downloaded the Dat Wizard tool kit, but it seems that im having trouble replacing said textures. They keep coming up buggy or glitched :/ Also the nose texture keeps turning blue lol Removing (zero'ing) works fine tho.

sorry I can't seem to turn this pictures into thumbnails lol, not sure how.

DRGN

Technowizard
Thanks DRGN! I see your using a program other then the Melee Toolkit I downloaded originally. I Downloaded the Dat Wizard tool kit, but it seems that im having trouble replacing said textures. They keep coming up buggy or glitched :/ Also the nose texture keeps turning blue lol Removing (zero'ing) works fine tho.

sorry I can't seem to turn this pictures into thumbnails lol, not sure how.
What are your steps?

You could also post the texture you're trying to import. I can import over that texture just fine, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thumbnails are available when you attach an image to a post. For example if you drag-and-drop an image into the text box that you use for writing your post, then below the box you'll see options pop up for inserting the image into your post, as either a thumbnail or full image.

As for putting it in 20XX, well, I think it's a great costume, so I don't see why not! My only critique I can think of, is that his nose texture doesn't line up with the rest of his face. That sounds tricky to get to line up, but I think it would make a big difference. Side thought I just had: I wonder if it would look good if his eyes were buttons, or if it would just look weird.

Last edited:

Fugibean

Smash Cadet
I'm sure this isnt that hard to do i just blow with photo editting and it would take me too long to be worth it. But in case anyones bored, I would really appreciate if anyone spent the time to make the silver/black ICs costume from brawl.

SSBM_Dan

Smash Rookie

Name: CLG Marth (Replaces Black)
Made by: SSBM_Dan
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/32s8aoigeb8zf37/[CLG_Marth]_PlMsBk.dat

Veggies Veggies if you could replace the original CLG Marth mod I made months ago with this one on the front page/OP, that'd be awesome. I removed the file from my mediafire, so it would just be taking space if it stays there.

I recreated this one simply because the colors weren't exactly true to the CLG jerseys and I felt like this one hits the target color a little bit better (it still may not, but I think it's better than last time). Hopefully those of you who did download the original one replaces it with this one, if you prefer this version. I tried adjusting the color of the cape symbol to match the same shade of blue, but it didn't want to change when I applied the changes, so that would be the only part that didn't change much.
Paragraph aside, I hope those that do download this enjoy it!

Last edited:

VikingSteeez

Smash Cadet
I have something new, awesome, and quite useful!

Of course, DTW 3 already allows you to do this sort of thing manually, but that can still be kinda slow and tedious.
Whats the process to change what character color a texture replaces? It looks like it must be far more complicated than changing a few hex values. I've been wondering how this is done for a long time, cuz every time I try to search for an answer, I realize I don't know exactly what keywords to use.

Last edited:

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533

Name: CLG Marth (Replaces Black)
Made by: SSBM_Dan
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/32s8aoigeb8zf37/[CLG_Marth]_PlMsBk.dat

Veggies Veggies if you could replace the original CLG Marth mod I made months ago with this one on the front page/OP, that'd be awesome. I removed the file from my mediafire, so it would just be taking space if it stays there.

I recreated this one simply because the colors weren't exactly true to the CLG jerseys and I felt like this one hits the target color a little bit better (it still may not, but I think it's better than last time). Hopefully those of you who did download the original one replaces it with this one, if you prefer this version. I tried adjusting the color of the cape symbol to match the same shade of blue, but it didn't want to change when I applied the changes, so that would be the only part that didn't change much.
Paragraph aside, I hope those that do download this enjoy it!
Now that SFAT is sponsored by CLG, are we getting a CLG Fox :) ?

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Whats the process to change what character color a texture replaces? It looks like it must be far more complicated than changing a few hex values. I've been wondering how this is done for a long time, cuz every time I try to search for an answer, I realize I don't know exactly what keywords to use.
each character color has a specific file name. for blue fox its PlFxLa, for green PlFxGr, etc etc. Those file names are for .dat files that are basically all of the textures and such for the character in a compressed archive. Similar to a zip or rar file.

VikingSteeez

Smash Cadet
each character color has a specific file name. for blue fox its PlFxLa, for green PlFxGr, etc etc. Those file names are for .dat files that are basically all of the textures and such for the character in a compressed archive. Similar to a zip or rar file.
Thanks, but that wasn't my question. I mean, say I wanted to apply a new texture to black link, but the .dat that I have is made to replace blue link's texture. If you try to apply a blue link texture to a black link's texure, it won't work, even if you rename the file beforehand.

Soggymelons

Smash Rookie
Sorry about the wait, was studying for finals the last few days. Ok, so to start, here are the three textures I'm trying to replace.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d...Yoshi_Nuetral_Color_StichTextures_Test_01.rar

I suspect they may be named or formatted incorrectly, DatTextureWizard seem to extract with an very odd names and windows gets confused with the double file extension.

Extracted as "PlYsNr.dat_0x2e060_14.png"
Shortened to "0x2e060.png"

So, after do some photoshop magic, I re-import the textures in a fresh copy of Melee, using DAT Texture Wizard.

In DATtextureWiz --> click file --> Open ISO/GCM --> open melee 1.02 iso --> navigate to Yoshi Nuetral Color 'PIYsNR.dat --> Click Browse Textures --> Select texture --> right click on the texture and click "import textures(s)" --> Navigate windows and select appropriate textures --> Click file --> Save Changes --> Dolphin

This is what I end up with in Dolphin after replacing these textures. :/

Ah yes, the nose texture, I will fix it. ^^

Also, is there an editor where I can look at the character models directly and so I can edit the textures with a greater amount of ease? "Obviously still using Photoshop to edit, but I pretty sure you get the idea, instead of having to go in-game every-time too look at what i've done. I can just pop it open in said editor."

Thanks again DRGN for your help!

EDIT: Oh, hmm idk about his eyes, I like them the way they are now. I'd have to 'look into it' lol

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Basically, you just need to move (extract from one file, import to the other) every texture from a file to its equivalent texture in the other color file. Some troubles besides actually copying the data is that, even among costumes for the same character, textures are often not at the same offsets between the two files, and sometimes an equivalent texture will have different properties (i.e. dimensions or texture type). Sometimes textures don't even have equivalents in the other color files. (Also, besides textures, sometimes the character models will be slightly different between them, which is part of what leads to the textures being in different places in the files.)

To make the CCC, what I did besides tap into existing functions in DTW (as well as make a few new ones specifically for this) was map contiguous and equivalent blocks/sections of texture data (being sure to exclude pointers) for each costume color for each character. Which, frankly, took forever, lol. I was pretty tired of it once I was near the end. XD Yoshi was the worst, with 20 such blocks, meaning 40 offsets to define, per costume color.

Sorry about the wait, was studying for finals the last few days. Ok, so to start, here are the three textures I'm trying to replace.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d...Yoshi_Nuetral_Color_StichTextures_Test_01.rar

I suspect they may be named or formatted incorrectly, DatTextureWizard seem to extract with an very odd names and windows gets confused with the double file extension.

Extracted as "PlYsNr.dat_0x2e060_14.png"
Shortened to "0x2e060.png"

So, after do some photoshop magic, I re-import the textures in a fresh copy of Melee, using DAT Texture Wizard.

In DATtextureWiz --> click file --> Open ISO/GCM --> open melee 1.02 iso --> navigate to Yoshi Nuetral Color 'PIYsNR.dat --> Click Browse Textures --> Select texture --> right click on the texture and click "import textures(s)" --> Navigate windows and select appropriate textures --> Click file --> Save Changes --> Dolphin

This is what I end up with in Dolphin after replacing these textures. :/

Ah yes, the nose texture, I will fix it. ^^

Also, is there an editor where I can look at the character models directly and so I can edit the textures with a greater amount of ease? "Obviously still using Photoshop to edit, but I pretty sure you get the idea, instead of having to go in-game every-time too look at what i've done. I can just pop it open in said editor."

Thanks again DRGN for your help!

EDIT: Oh, hmm idk about his eyes, I like them the way they are now. I'd have to 'look into it' lol
TEST01-15.png

Found the problem. The textures you were importing had palettes that were larger than there was space for in the file, so they were overwriting other bits, namely, parts of other textures' image data and [more importantly] palette headers. There was a check in DTW for that, to warn you so you can give the texture a smaller palette, but I must have disabled it at some point to test something else and forgot to re-enable it. The good news is, it's a simple fix. I just opened your images in GIMP and gave them each a palette that matches the size (number of colors) that their originals in the DAT file had, and then imported them as normal.

You can see the initial problem on the Palettes tab:
upload_2015-12-19_2-49-16.png

Attached is a zip containing the new textures that I gave palettes to, and the DAT of the Yoshi above with the new textures already in it.

Attachments

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
Thanks, but that wasn't my question. I mean, say I wanted to apply a new texture to black link, but the .dat that I have is made to replace blue link's texture. If you try to apply a blue link texture to a black link's texure, it won't work, even if you rename the file beforehand.
ah my mistake. Didnt read it well. Been sick lately so wasnt really paying attention.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Soggymelons Soggymelons I couldn't resist; I had to try the buttons. What do you think?:

TEST01-17.png TEST01-24.png

Also, I noticed that when he goes into his egg, there were some lines and other marks that weren't intended. Those are caused by little artifacts/blemeshes in the shell texture. The game stretches the edges of the texture to give the rest of the egg color. So those little color differences were being stretched across the egg, making lines. So I touched up that texture a little and got rid of that.

Attached are the button eye textures if you like them, and the fixed egg.

Attachments

Soggymelons

Smash Rookie
Soggymelons Soggymelons I couldn't resist; I had to try the buttons. What do you think?
Hahah, nice, not too much of a fan of changing his eyes now that I see it tho. In my opinion yoshi's eyes are one of his best traits, especially with all his little facial expressions. I think his normal eye's help bring it all together in this yarn skin.

Thank you so much for fixing the Egg, I didn't know quite what the issue was there. :/ It's been bugging me for a while, I tried adding a 1 pixel boarder of flat, egg color, but to no avail. It looks like you've added a 3 or 4 pixel boarder.

Now about this pallet's dealio. I took me a little while to figure out how Photoshop can decrease the pallet size. But I did figure it out and now im working on making those white stitch textures better. Thankyou so much for your help again! lol ^^

I will try to get this skin done as soon as possible,

Top Bottom